PDA

View Full Version : Quantity beats Quality, Skills

ExemplarofAvg
2011-10-29, 10:13 PM
So the way to have the most skills would be to have a Changeling Rogue with Max Int, at least as far as I know, is there a way to have more skills? Because as far as I know that would mean 14 skills. However that leaves about 22+(Various Variations) of Skills left, I'm looking to have the best Skill Monkey not for strength but for amount. Right now my thoughts are

Changeling Bard/Rogue/Marshal/Factotum
Bardic Knack
Changeling Rogue 1st Level substitution.
Feats
Jack of All Trades
Able Learner

Max Int for Skills and Factotum boosts, Cha for Marshal Boost, Everything else as needed for skills.

Am I on the right track, even close? Don't worry about damage or anything when critiquing, just how to get the most skills possible. I'm using the "Zero-Cost Crafting, Megaton Club Technique" (aka the "Sun Wu Kong Quarterstaff Smack")

deuxhero
2011-10-30, 01:32 AM
Nymph's Kiss (BoED) gives 1 bonus skill point a level. Rules are not clear if it is x4ed at level 1.

Elfinor
2011-10-30, 01:48 AM
Looking forward to seeing how far you can go. More feats:

Open Minded (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#openMinded)
If Dragon material is allowed: Human Blood (DR 324), grants +1 skill point/level (not multiplied at 1st) and is required to be taken at 1st level. Requires 'partial human ancestry', so Changelings can conceivably qualify.

kulosle
2011-10-30, 06:02 AM
take a look at the factotum hand book when it talks about skills. its a good guide to how to look at skills for anyone.

also i don't think being a changeling would be better. a race that adds to int would serve you better in the long run. you would technically have less skill points but you would get higher bonuses to your skills through your factotum ability. which since your taking the bardic knack route you don't really need actual ranks in skills you just want bonuses.

so nymphs kiss gives a +2 bonus to all cha based skills so you don't have to worry about upping those, brain over brawn means you don't have to up dex or str based skills, so your looking at wis to up. so you take one level in martial and add you cha to all wisdom skills. open minded is usually not worth it but if your dead set on skill ranks than go for it.

primordial half giant -2 str, -2 dex, +4 int, +4 cha level adjustment 1
factotum 3/marshal 1/bard 15

nymphs kiss, able learner, jack of all trades, skill boosting feats. (i like the knowledge devotion feat for these kind of characters). there is a skill trick in called collector of stories i think that gives you a plus 5 to knowledge checks about monsters. there's also a feat (educated? can't remember for sure) that gives you a +2 on all knowledge checks

you have 8 ranks in every skill, huge bonus to all of them, except concentration (oh nooo!). then put skill points into what ever you actually need.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-10-30, 08:00 AM
Looking forward to seeing how far you can go. More feats:

Open Minded (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#openMinded)
If Dragon material is allowed: Human Blood (DR 324), grants +1 skill point/level (not multiplied at 1st) and is required to be taken at 1st level. Requires 'partial human ancestry', so Changelings can conceivably qualify.

Hmm, Human Heritage is another feat taken by half humans which gives them +4 Skill Points and they are treated as humans for a number of effects. so through that that's +1 more maxed out skill, so 15

take a look at the factotum hand book when it talks about skills. its a good guide to how to look at skills for anyone.

also i don't think being a changeling would be better. a race that adds to int would serve you better in the long run. you would technically have less skill points but you would get higher bonuses to your skills through your factotum ability. which since your taking the bardic knack route you don't really need actual ranks in skills you just want bonuses.

so nymphs kiss gives a +2 bonus to all cha based skills so you don't have to worry about upping those, brain over brawn means you don't have to up dex or str based skills, so your looking at wis to up. so you take one level in marshal (Spell checked) and add you cha to all wisdom skills. open minded is usually not worth it but if your dead set on skill ranks than go for it.

you have 8 ranks in every skill, huge bonus to all of them, except concentration (oh nooo!). then put skill points into what ever you actually need.

And yeah, that's the goal of the build, A lot of ranks and maxed skills, or near maxes skills. Bonuses aren't something I'm concerned about atm.

faceroll
2011-10-30, 08:22 AM
Deep dragonwrought riddled spellhoarding loredrake has 31 int at level 1 (ECL2). First level should be in swordsage for (6+10)x6 skill points. All subsequent levels should be in rogue (18 skills per level, then 19 per level at ECL 5th).

ExemplarofAvg
2011-10-30, 11:00 AM
Deep dragonwrought riddled spellhoarding loredrake has 31 int at level 1 (ECL2). First level should be in swordsage for (6+10)x6 skill points. All subsequent levels should be in rogue (18 skills per level, then 19 per level at ECL 5th).

There a reason for Swordsage? I'm pretty sure the x6 was errata'd to the standard x4. Hmm, so Rogue or Scout for the rest of it then for the 8+Skills
only main thing I pose is where are all of those found the: Deep, Riddled, Spellhoarding, Loredrake.
I know of Dragonwrought Kobolds.

Retech
2011-10-30, 11:43 AM
Erm, if you allow Pathfinder template abuse...

Young, Drunk, Triple Decrepit Advanced x4 White Dragonspawn Abomination (all additions to the dragonwrought kobold) gives...+16 intelligence to that, and a buncha free wizard's casting. All for no LA.

Daftendirekt
2011-10-30, 11:44 AM
Nymph's Kiss (BoED) gives 1 bonus skill point a level. Rules are not clear if it is x4ed at level 1.

No, it is not.

RedWarrior0
2011-10-30, 12:33 PM
There a reason for Swordsage? I'm pretty sure the x6 was errata'd to the standard x4.
I don't believe it was errata'd. Tome of Battle errata is laughable, not laudable.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-10-30, 03:40 PM
There a reason for Swordsage? I'm pretty sure the x6 was errata'd to the standard x4.

Is that before or after it randomly becomes the errata for Complete Arcane?

Jack_Simth
2011-10-30, 03:57 PM
Nobody knows. See, the official errata that was available for download for so long? Broken. And by broken, I mean that the file was broken. After a very short distance into the file, it was the errata for a completely different book.

But the broken file didn't contain any updates to the Swordsage....

Morithias
2011-10-30, 05:33 PM
There is a bard spell called "improvation" or something like thatt. what it does is gives you a pool of bonus points you can spend on a future roll. You can only spend up to half your character level.

Now look at bardic knack you get half your character level in effective ranks to all skills. (take jack of all trades to be able to use the untrained ones)

With proper planning and use of the spell this combo gives you your character level to all skills, so basically you get every skill in existence max rank with a -3 pen.

faceroll
2011-10-30, 05:40 PM
There a reason for Swordsage? I'm pretty sure the x6 was errata'd to the standard x4. Hmm, so Rogue or Scout for the rest of it then for the 8+Skills

Nope, no errata. See other posts.

only main thing I pose is where are all of those found the: Deep, Riddled, Spellhoarding, Loredrake.
I know of Dragonwrought Kobolds.

Lore Drake is from Dragons of Eberron. Gives a dragonwrought kobold, or any true dragon for that matter, +2 sorcerer csating.

Riddled & Spellhoarding are dragon psychoses templates from DR313. Riddled gives +6 int -4 wis, bases sorc casting off int instead of cha. Spellhoarding gives +2 int -4 wis and turns sorc casting into wiz casting.

We need lore drake to qualify for the psychoses templates. All these templates are not given LA, but they do all have a CR of +0. There's also the issue of whether a kobold really is a true dragon.

dextercorvia
2011-10-30, 05:44 PM
Changeling Rogue only gets the 10 skill points at that (or those) particular level(s), so you are better off going human for the 24-26 extra skill points over your career.

dspeyer
2011-10-30, 11:14 PM
Greater Heroism gives you +4 to all skills. A divine bard / sacred exorcist could persist it.

Coidzor
2011-10-31, 02:05 AM
And yeah, that's the goal of the build, A lot of ranks and maxed skills, or near maxes skills. Bonuses aren't something I'm concerned about atm.

Then Bardic Knack is useless to you, as it only ever gets to about max cross-class ranks at level 20 with the Jack of All Trades feat being ruled to combo with it.

The important thing is the end bonus, not the skill ranks, as long as you're able to make the check unless there's some crucial bit of information you're holding out on or you're trying to qualify for something specific like a feat, PrC, or skill trick.