PDA

View Full Version : Armored Mage Class Feat Application to PrC?

Shreaver
2011-10-30, 01:48 AM
I've been pondering about picking up Battle Sorcerer for a Gestalt character. So, one side starts with Warlock, the other Battle Sorcerer.

My question is that if I pick up Unseen Seer at some point for the Battle Sorcerer side, will Armored Mage apply to my PrC?

I'm hoping you guys can help me settle this confusion I have. Cheers in advance.

deuxhero
2011-10-30, 02:17 AM
Yes (prcs advance casting, it's the same battle sorc casting).

Note that Battle Sorc isn't that good for what you are doing (it's really only good with limited books or no Prcs): Warlock gets medium BAB alreddy.

You seem to be after the ability to cast in armor, which is just a dip in Spelltheif (which gets you qualified for Unseen Seer as well!) + master spellthief feat (or Mithril Twilight Chain Shirt). Not work a permant hit to your spell progression

Shreaver
2011-10-30, 02:52 AM
Armored casting is a preference of mine. I don't like casting mage armor. Don't ask, I can't give you a rational explanation for that choice.

But, in regards to Spellthief, I can see a benefit in dipping. But I'm not fond of the even more extremely limited nature of available spells for Spellthief. Perhaps it would be better to just take a dip in rogue and go Battle Sorc because all I really want from the sorcerer class are utility spells. Warlock is strong enough to deal blows, Sorc spells can be used outside battle. For instance, Comprehend Languages, Disguise Self, etc.

So, I'm just after making an able damage caster with some available options for Abj, Div, and Ench (obviously Div is more important for me due to Unseen Seer).

EDIT:

Actually, I've confused myself. I think I might explore this more thoroughly. Thanks.

Elboxo
2011-10-30, 02:58 AM
There's always the old Duskblade.... for a dip combined with Arcane disciple for some healing/divine casting, or just for casting in light armour/ with a shield

Shreaver
2011-10-30, 05:17 AM
Best I can remember, Duskblade relies on INT while Sorc relies on CHA. Which is what Warlock uses as well. Just trying to make life a little easier, haha.

candycorn
2011-10-30, 06:03 AM
Best I can remember, Duskblade relies on INT while Sorc relies on CHA. Which is what Warlock uses as well. Just trying to make life a little easier, haha.

Warlock relies on Dexterity. Charisma is just a nice bonus.

Hazzardevil
2011-10-30, 06:24 AM
Don't take Battle Sorcerer, because there are better options for getting Armoured Mage, such as a mithral, twilight armour with a dip in spellsword.
It should be easy to qualify if you kill an enemy one on one with nothing but Eldritch Blast, I reccomend you do this while your still a low level if possible. Because at low levels a heavy crossbow or 2 can easily kill a mook.

Mithral, twilight spellsword can let you use any armour in core without using heavy armour, since it negates 30% of it. All you need is a dip in something like Paladin. 2 levels would be better, since you could then pull off a sorcadin build, but it's easier to get that 4th attack if you will always gain at least 3/4 BAB a level.

Heres a build I would reccomend to you:
Warlock 17/Hellfire Warlock 3//Paladin 2/Sorcerer 3/Abjurant Champion 1/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 4/[add any arcane casting classes you want here.]
I can give you the exact BAB you will have for any level you want.

Shreaver
2011-10-30, 08:03 AM
It is very unlikely that I will get mithral twilight armor in my game until much later, if at all.

Also, why is Warlock more reliant on Dexterity? Guess I'm missing something here.

EDIT:

Ah, I see why DEX is so important. Glad that I picked that up at this early stage. Thank you.

Hazzardevil
2011-10-30, 08:43 AM
It is very unlikely that I will get mithral twilight armor in my game until much later, if at all.

Also, why is Warlock more reliant on Dexterity? Guess I'm missing something here.

EDIT:

Ah, I see why DEX is so important. Glad that I picked that up at this early stage. Thank you.

Just so you know Battle Sorcerer Armoured mage wouldn't work with warolck and anything that specifically ignores armour doesn't either. Lowering ASF works though.

deuxhero
2011-10-30, 01:48 PM
Warlock has its own armored mage.

Actually, with strict RAW, a gestalt is one class with the benefits of both. Your Sorcerer casting is "Warlock" casting and thus benifits from your Armored Mage (beware falling DMGs if you try this).

Hazzardevil
2011-10-30, 03:03 PM
Warlock has its own armored mage.

Actually, with strict RAW, a gestalt is one class with the benefits of both. Your Sorcerer casting is "Warlock" casting and thus benifits from your Armored Mage (beware falling DMGs if you try this).

Forgot about that, I was confusing DFA casting with Warlock.

A_S
2011-10-30, 03:51 PM
Warlock 17/Hellfire Warlock 3//Paladin 2/Sorcerer 3/Abjurant Champion 1/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 4/[add any arcane casting classes you want here.]

For more Cha synergy and gishiness, can swap the Warlock side out for something like Warlock 3/Cleric 3/Eldritch Disciple 10/Hellfire Warlock 3/Binder 1 and pick up some divine feats, along with fun stuff like the ability to DMM: Persist Divine Power.

Shreaver
2011-10-30, 04:59 PM
I'm trying to move away from adding Divine classes to my build because of roleplay purposes. Basically, my character doesn't believe that divine magic is real magic and pesters the Paladin in our group about this.

In case you're confused, the game has already started, but I'm allowed to change my character build because it's so early. If you're curious, my original build was this:

Side 1: Rogue 1/Duskblade 3/Rogue 2/Duskblade 10/Rogue 2/Duskblade 2/Rogue 1
Side 2: Wizard 5/MindBender 1/Unseen Seer 10/Fate Spinner 4

I was trying to combine melee with casting. But, I began to realize that I wasn't really doing too well because I think I was trying to do too much with this build. I've come to the conclusion that doing something simple might not be a bad idea. I really thought that the BAB and offensive spell list of the Warlock combined with Sorc Divination spell list would be a great choice.

deuxhero
2011-10-31, 02:17 AM
For more Cha synergy and gishiness, can swap the Warlock side out for something like Warlock 3/Cleric 3/Eldritch Disciple 10/Hellfire Warlock 3/Binder 1 and pick up some divine feats, along with fun stuff like the ability to DMM: Persist Divine Power.

Gestalt bans dual progression (though given it is qualifed for on one "side", most DMs won't care).

Shreaver
2011-11-01, 02:56 AM
Gestalt bans dual progression (though given it is qualifed for on one "side", most DMs won't care).

This is true, I don't believe my DM will care much. At the end of the day it's meant to be fun.