PDA

View Full Version : Actions while falling

Diplomancy
2011-10-30, 12:21 PM
Okay, I've got a couple characters falling from a great (several thousand feet) height. They've got a few rounds to make standard actions, and I know one will want to cast a couple spells (not feather fall in this case). What's a fair concentration check while falling? Any other considerations? There is a real possibility of player death here, and I don't want a player to die while we're arguing rules... I'd like to be decisive and fair.

skycycle blues
2011-10-30, 12:25 PM
Concentration checks. SRD suggests +20 to the DC for "Extraordinarily violent motion (earthquake)."
Add or subtract from the DC for casting as you see fit from there.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/concentration.htm

Cespenar
2011-10-30, 03:17 PM
All the "violent motion" entries suggest some kind of erratic and inconsistent movement (boat in rapids, galloping horse, wagon ride, and finally earthquake). Falling through air, however a shocking experience it can be, is nothing like this and thus have no reason to have such a high DC. I think the following lines from the Concentration skill would be a better fit:

DC 5: Weather is a high wind carrying blinding rain or sleet.
DC 10: Weather is wind-driven hail, dust, or debris.

When looking at these and comparing, I'd say the DC 5 one fits better to a falling through air situation. But if you think that'd be too low, then I suggest the next, DC 10. Still too low, but really, a consistent and long fall would do nothing to hinder your hand/arm gestures.

Edit: Ooh, found a better idea if you'd like it to be a harder check. First, say that they are falling violently (turning and revolving madly, etc.) and set the DC as 20. They could either try and cast that way, or try to stabilize themselves with a DC 10-15 Reflex save as a full round action. If they succeed, then the Concentration check is either removed totally, or reduced to DC 5. Both a fair and dramatic way to resolve the situation, if you ask me.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-30, 03:24 PM
All the "violent motion" entries suggest some kind of erratic and inconsistent movement (boat in rapids, galloping horse, wagon ride, and finally earthquake). Falling through air, however a shocking experience it can be, is nothing like this and thus have no reason to have such a high DC. I think the following lines from the Concentration skill would be a better fit:

DC 5: Weather is a high wind carrying blinding rain or sleet.
DC 10: Weather is wind-driven hail, dust, or debris.

When looking at these and comparing, I'd say the DC 5 one fits better to a falling through air situation. But if you think that'd be too low, then I suggest the next, DC 10. Still too low, but really, a consistent and long fall would do nothing to hinder your hand/arm gestures.

While I agree with this statment on the whole, if the caster is a typical arcane caster, he will have long, flowing robes that aren't very secure could be quite a hinderance. So I'd say closer to DC 15 but thats just me. Of course if he isn't wearing stereotypical caster robes, ignore me.

skycycle blues
2011-10-30, 03:35 PM
Falling several thousand feet would be violent motion.

In real world physics, a person could hit over 100 mph before hitting the ground, falling from under 2000 ft. Try to do anything while moving that fast and being unprotected from the wind.

Of course real world physics doesn't apply to D&D, but I think that +20 is fair for a fall from that height.

Or maybe to mimic actual acceleration, the DC could scale as he falls. But after 5 or so rounds of falling, it certainly shouldn't be less than a +20.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-30, 05:09 PM
A question, how far do characters fall in 1 round?

I know that some winged races have a rule that limits how far they fall, but having trouble finding anything for non winged characters.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-30, 05:15 PM
IIRC, 60 ft. the first round, 300 the second. Or 60, 120, 240, etc following that trend. I remember something like that but I can't think of where I found it.

Frosty
2011-10-30, 05:28 PM
If you discount air resistance, an object will fall 576ft in 6 seconds.

In the next 6 seconds, the object will fall another 1728ft.

And in next 6 seconds, the object will fall another 2880ft.

At the end of 3 rounds, the total distance fallen is 5184ft.

So yeah, from a few thousand feet, they've got probably a max of 3 rounds to cast spells. 18 seconds is a long time.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-30, 05:37 PM
If you discount air resistance, an object will fall 576ft in 6 seconds.

In the next 6 seconds, the object will fall another 1728ft.

And in next 6 seconds, the object will fall another 2880ft.

At the end of 3 rounds, the total distance fallen is 5184ft.

So yeah, from a few thousand feet, they've got probably a max of 3 rounds to cast spells. 18 seconds is a long time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Physics! Thats funny!

*ahem*

DnD does not, for the most part, follow normal laws of physics. See Magic. But Feather Fall slows a creature to 60 ft. per round which is "safe" fall speed. Which I had a reason for that but I lost if to my brain so just ignore me.

Altair_the_Vexed
2011-10-30, 05:44 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Physics! Thats funny!

*ahem*

DnD does not, for the most part, follow normal laws of physics. ...
Oh, come on. Did the OP say there was any special magical effects that might change gravity in play? No.
Then can we not assume that gravity is behaving roughly as we are used to it?
Otherwise, what is it behaving like? Hmm?

What else are we going to do if we're not going to use the law of gravity to deal with someone falling?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-30, 05:45 PM
Oh, come on. Did the OP say there was any special magical effects that might change gravity in play? No.
Then can we not assume that gravity is behaving roughly as we are used to it?
Otherwise, what is it behaving like? Hmm?

What else are we going to do if we're not going to use the law of gravity to deal with someone falling?

Rules for falling characters.

Iceforge
2011-10-30, 05:48 PM
Btw, according to physics, you fall 672ft first round (6 second round), then 1152ft pr. round after that (after 6 seconds, you are at maximum velocity)

Fax Celestis
2011-10-30, 07:30 PM
A question, how far do characters fall in 1 round?

150' in the first round, 300' in each subsequent round.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-30, 07:51 PM
150' in the first round, 300' in each subsequent round.

Thats what I was thinking of! For my own reference, where is this?

Fax Celestis
2011-10-30, 07:58 PM
It's in a weird spot:

Once movement becomes three-dimensional and involves turning in midair and maintaining a minimum velocity to stay aloft, it gets more complicated. Most flying creatures have to slow down at least a little to make a turn, and many are limited to fairly wide turns and must maintain a minimum forward speed. Each flying creature has a maneuverability, as shown on Table: Maneuverability. The entries on the table are defined below.

Minimum Forward Speed

If a flying creature fails to maintain its minimum forward speed, it must land at the end of its movement. If it is too high above the ground to land, it falls straight down, descending 150 feet in the first round of falling. If this distance brings it to the ground, it takes falling damage. If the fall doesn’t bring the creature to the ground, it must spend its next turn recovering from the stall. It must succeed on a DC 20 Reflex save to recover. Otherwise it falls another 300 feet. If it hits the ground, it takes falling damage. Otherwise, it has another chance to recover on its next turn.

hex0
2011-10-30, 08:08 PM
Btw, according to physics, you fall 672ft first round (6 second round), then 1152ft pr. round after that (after 6 seconds, you are at maximum velocity)

This is D&D, what is this physics you speak of? :smallconfused:

ericgrau
2011-10-30, 08:37 PM
FWIW even when you do try to bring in physics, it tends to be done badly. In real life you also hit terminal velocity in 12 seconds. The velocities are about 4 times faster though.

Psyren
2011-10-30, 11:14 PM
Even without flowing robes, you run into the problem of digging through a pouch mid-fall to locate the right components.

I'm in favor of the +15, though not for an SLA or Su if they have it, as those only require a thought I think.

Diplomancy
2011-10-31, 01:05 AM
Here's what I'm thinking now:

Concentration DC 10 + spell level for a spell with only verbal components
15 + spell level for verbal and somatic
20 + spell level for verbal somatic and material

I thought it was helpful to imagine trying to cast a spell in wind over 100 mph.