PDA

View Full Version : making a backup character

umbergod
2011-10-30, 02:26 PM
I am about to start in a modified campaign of Age of Worms, and from what the DM said, it has a high PC death rate, he himself went through 4 characters when he played in it. Currently I have my cleric of hextor, but the party is lacking a "face" and I was thinking about whipping one up, albeit with my own take on it. I despise 3.5 bards, though PF bards aren't as bad.

So instead, I am going to opt for a Fey'ri Sorcerer with an emphasis on enchantment spells, and possibly take the Mindbender PrC. I know that Mindbender is anything but good for casters, with the whole 1/2 casting progression, but I am not worried about my personal casting abilities all that much, and the idea of permanent slaves fits my character idea.

Basically, what are some good spells/feats/skills (beyond what is needed for Mindbender) for a sorcerer acting as a face to pick up?

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-10-30, 02:55 PM
I like the skill trick from complete scoundrel that let's you replace a blown diplomacy check with a penalized bluff check. I'm generally not a fan of spending significant resources on being the party face. In most games I find there's little need for truly astounding checks and most DM's won't allow things that RAW says some skills should do.

If you want to be a none good caster/party face with disposable minions why not try ans educated wilder/thrallherd? I think thrallherd gives a lot more and definitely takes alot less than Mindbender.

umbergod
2011-10-30, 03:14 PM
I like the skill trick from complete scoundrel that let's you replace a blown diplomacy check with a penalized bluff check. I'm generally not a fan of spending significant resources on being the party face. In most games I find there's little need for truly astounding checks and most DM's won't allow things that RAW says some skills should do.

If you want to be a none good caster/party face with disposable minions why not try ans educated wilder/thrallherd? I think thrallherd gives a lot more and definitely takes alot less than Mindbender.

wilder is psionic isnt it? my dm is currently banning all psionic classes but the soulknife at the moment =/

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-30, 03:37 PM
Beguiler 5/ Mindbender 1/ Beguiler 14, Versatile Spellcaster, one of Heighten Spell or Sanctum Spell or a Bloodline feat if it's necessary to get early access to the next higher level of spells known, Obtain Familiar, Improved Familiar (Imp or Quasit), and Mindsight.

If you use Air or Fire Genasi (FRCS) with the Lesser Planetouched variant (PGtF) for +0 LA you can actually go Beguiler 1/ Mindbender 1/ Beguiler 18, and get Mindsight at 3rd level. Add on the Magic-Blooded template for Wis -2, Cha +2, so you won't take a hit to Cha. Unseelie Fey is highly recommended but seldom permitted.

For your Advanced Learning spells, considering Versatile Spellcaster early access and the Mindbender dip, your spell levels would be 2nd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 9th. My spell choices would be Ray of Stupidity, Shadow Form, Greater Shadow Conjuration, Greater Shadow Evocation, and Superior Invisibility. Remember that you can use Eternal Wands (MIC) of any arcane spell even if it's not on your class spell list.