PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Ranger Questions

Emery1261
2011-10-30, 04:23 PM
Is there any way in PATHFINDER ONLY MATERIAL to increase a Ranger's spell potency?

Looking for a build that is less damage to certain enemies and more "I'm the best there is at what I do and what I do isn't very nice" with increased utility spells (Wolverine minus the claws with nature spells? Jungle Batman?). I'd go druid but I'm not really looking for a nature lover summoning beasts, wild shaping all over the place, and calling up storms.

Curious
2011-10-30, 04:28 PM
Nirmathi Irregular (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/nirmathi-irregular) sounds like what you want.

Krazzman
2011-10-30, 04:29 PM
Yes there are.

But I think you want to know how. Metamagic Feats are possible, look into the Archetypes and choose what you think fits most. Additionally the Aragorn type (Swift Hitter) is certainly good. You can choose to take Sword/Board, Two-Hand, Two-Weapon, Natural and Archery as Fighting Styles. Spells like Gravity X are really nice to increase your DMG output.

Hope this helps.

CyMage
2011-10-30, 04:39 PM
Additionally the Aragorn type (Swift Hitter) is certainly good.

That's 'switch hitter' named after the baseball batters who could swing both left and right handed. In this case it refers to a ranger who uses both archery and melee.

Emery1261
2011-10-30, 04:45 PM
@Curious: Nirmathi Irregular won't work RP wise (DM is kind of strict). It does grant 1 additional spell per level/day but only ONE of those spells can be from the druid list. Any way to increase that?

@Krazzman: What I had meant by potency was an increased amount spells/better spell list.

Baroncognito
2011-10-30, 04:45 PM
If you're allowed to use traits, I suggest going with Magical Knack, so your caster level will be your Ranger level -1 instead of Ranger Level -3.

grarrrg
2011-10-30, 04:57 PM
See if your DM will let you homebrew a Ranger version of Unsanctioned Knowledge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/unsanctioned-knowledge).

Curious
2011-10-30, 04:59 PM
@Curious: Nirmathi Irregular won't work RP wise (DM is kind of strict). It does grant 1 additional spell per level/day but only ONE of those spells can be from the druid list. Any way to increase that?

Reflavor it. The only mechanical change is that you only gain one FE and FT, and get extra spells/day.

Baroncognito
2011-10-30, 05:10 PM
You could always go Druid but take a domain instead of an animal companion.

Or make an Cleric, an Oracle, or an Inquisitor with a woodland theme, pick one of the nature gods to worship.

That said, while there are numerous ways to make a Ranger less magical in nature, Nirmathi Irregular seems to be the only way to make a Ranger more magical.

Emery1261
2011-10-30, 05:24 PM
Pathfinder makes 4 gish-in-a-can classes and none of them are Nature Divine. I was afraid I'd have to ask for homebrew nonsense. DM doesn't seem to go for that sort of stuff.

@Baroncognito: I will check on the Magical Knack trait. Druid class abilities don't fit what I'm trying to make and Cleric/Oracle/Inquisitor spells don't fit what I'm going for.

@Curious: Good point, will check.

@grarrrg: Interesting, thanks for pointing that out.