PDA

View Full Version : When You Stare Into the Abyss...(3.5 Base Class, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-30, 04:44 PM
The Abyss Striker

People who worship the archdemons of the Abyss do so for power and power alone. They generally become clerics or paladins so that they may draw on that power and manifest it as their own. But a few warriors are not exactly the religious type. The demons are not picky.

Requirements: An abyss striker must be chaotic evil. If he is of an alignment that is not chaotic evil, he loses all class features (except Illiteracy) until he atones.

HD: d12

Skills: An abyss striker's class skills include Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (The Planes), Listen, Profession, Survival and Swim.

Skill Points: 4+Int per level (x4 at first level)

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Demonic Rage 1/day, Illiteracy, Fast Movement

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Strike of Evil

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|The Abyss Stares Back

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Demonic Rage 2/day

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Demon's Chant

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|The Abyss Stares Back

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|DR 2/Good or Cold Iron

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Demonic Rage 3/day, Carnage Scissors

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|The Abyss Stares Back

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|DR 4/Good or Cold Iron

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|Greater Demonic Rage

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4|Demonic Rage 4/day, The Abyss Stares Back

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|DR 6/Good or Cold Iron

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|Embrace of the Abyss

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|The Abyss Stares Back

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|Demonic Rage 5/day, DR 8/Good or Cold Iron

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|The Power of Demons

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|The Abyss Stares Back

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|DR 10/Good or Cold Iron

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Demonic Rage 6/day, Mighty Demonic Rage

[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The abyss striker is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light and medium armor, and with shields (except tower shields)

Demonic Rage (Ex): An abyss striker may fly into a state of pure anger once per day, drawing upon the power of the Black Abyss to crush his opponents with ease, as well as to strike fear in the hearts of others.

The abyss gains a +4 bonus to his Strength and Charisma scores, as well as resistance to electricity 10, a +4 bonus to all saves against poison, and a +4 profane bonus to all Intimidate checks, but takes a -2 penalty to AC. Demonic rage lasts for 3+the abyss striker's newly improved Charisma modifier rounds. The abyss striker's skin turns black and he grows a short pair of horns. For the duration of his hell rage, the abyss striker projects an aura of evil, equal to a cleric of his level.

This ability is otherwise like the barbarian's rage, with the same penalties and drawbacks.

Demonic Rage counts as Rage for the purposes of qualifying for feats and prestige classes. Any feat or prestige class that changes or involves the Constitution bonus that applies to a barbarian while raging instead changes or involves the abyss striker's Charisma bonus.

Fast Movement (Ex): An abyss striker gains a +10' bonus to its movement speed. This bonus is lost if the abyss striker is wearing heavy armor or carrying a tower shield.

Illiteracy: The abyss striker does not gain automatic literacy. He may spend two skill points at any time to learn how to read and write all languages he can speak. If he takes a level in another class, he automatically gains literacy.

Strike of Evil (Su): As a standard action, an abyss striker may deliver a devastating strike imbued with evil. If the attack hits, it deals normal weapon damage and the creature must make a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 class level+Charisma modifier) or be sickened for one round.

At 7th level or higher, the creature must instead save or be nauseated for one round. If it saves, it is instead sickened for one round.

At 12th level or higher, the creature also must make a Will save or be frightened for one round. If it succeeds its save, it is instead shaken for one round.

At 17th level or higher, the creature must also make a Reflex save or be struck with such a powerful blow that it is unable to move or think while it recovers. The creature become helpless for one round. If it succeeds its saving throw, it is instead knocked prone.

After using this ability, the abyss striker must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

The Abyss Stares Back (Ex): Instead of consuming his power to destroy his enemies, an abyss striker may only partially draw on his power. This ability gives him less strength than when he demonic rages, but it also takes much less of a toll on his body. At 3rd level, and every 3 levels after, the abyss striker gains a lesser power. Activating one of these powers is a full-round action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. It lasts for one hour or until the abyss striker dismisses it, after which the abyss striker must wait one hour before using any The Abyss Stares Back ability again.

As a full-round action, starting at level 3, a abyss striker may assume the appearance of a demon. He grows small red horns and his skin turns black. This grants him a +4 profane bonus to all Intimidate checks. (This bonus increases to +8 at 11th level, and +12 at 20th level)

At level 6, the abyss striker may instead recall his impressive resistance to electricity. He gains resist electricity 10. (This increases to resist electricity 20 at 11th level, and then to electricity immunity at 20th level)

At level 9, the abyss striker may instead draw upon his natural immunity to poison. He gains a +4 bonus to resist poisons. This increases to +8 at 11th level, and to immunity to all poisons at 20th level.

At level 12, the abyss striker may instead call forth his superior demonic senses. For the duration of The Abyss Stares Back, he sees invisibility, as the spell. This is a supernatural quality. At 20th level, this ability improves to grant the abyss striker true seeing as well.

At level 15, the abyss striker may instead draw upon his improved demon mobility. He grows a pair of wings, and unless his armor has been properly fitted to accomodate them, he must remove his armor and shirt in order to fly. He gains a fly speed equal to his land speed with a maneuverability of good. At 20th level, he gains the benefit of the Flyby Attack feat while he uses this Abyss Stares Back.

At level 18, the abyss striker may instead draw upon his Pact with the Lords of the Abyss. He may automatically summon 4 dretches, 2 hezrous, or one nalfeshnee, glabrezu, or marilith. This ability is a spell-like ability equivalent to a level 9 spell. Unlike the other Abyss Stares Back abilities, an abyss striker may only use this power once per day.

Demon's Chant (Sp): The abyss striker does not pray to his gods and receive domain spells as a cleric, instead he channels the power of demons directly. Once per day, an abyss striker may spend an hour in meditation and select a single demon whose HD is equal to or less than his class level. He gains the spell-like abilities of that creature for the next 24 hours. He may not change these once he selects them, until he gets at least eight hours of sleep and then prepares them again. The abyss striker does not gain any summoning abilities, nor does he gain any spell-like abilities that the channeled demon cannot use at least once per day. Regardless of the abyss striker's level, he uses the channeled demon's listed caster level.

If the demon that the abyss striker channels has the ability to cast a spell-like ability that is 4th level or higher at-will, the abyss striker receives 3 daily uses of it instead.

For example, a 5th level abyss striker could channel the power of a quasit, and for the next 24 hours, or until he prepares them again, he gains detect good, detect magic, and invisibility (self only) at will, and cause fear once per day. He does not gain the quasit's commune ability, as that ability can only be used once per week. His caster level in this situation would be 6th level.

Damage Reduction (Ex/Su): At 7th level, an abyss striker gains Damage Reduction 2. An abyss striker's damage reduction is overcome by good-aligned weapons, or by weapons made of cold iron. The DR/Good is a supernatural quality, while the DR/Cold Iron is an extraordinary quality.

Carnage Scissors (Ex): Starting at 8th level, an abyss striker may use the momentum from his attacks to attempt to rip his opponent in half. When the abyss striker charges and successfully hits his opponent, he receives an additional attack at his highest attack bonus as a free action. The critical threat range for his weapon is doubled and the critical multiplier is increased by 1, for this additional attack only. This ability stacks with other threat increases such as Improved Critical and the keen enhancement or spell.

No matter how many attacks the abyss striker gets on a charge, he only triggers this additional attack once, and only from the first successful hit.

Greater Hell Rage (Ex/Su): At 11th level, an abyss striker's demoni rage improves. He now receives +6 Str and Cha. The penalty to his AC remains at -2. His profane bonus to Intimidate checks increases to +8, and his resistance to electricity increases to resist electricity 20. His bonus on saves to resist poison increases to +8. Additionally, while the abyss striker is demonic raging, he sees all invisible creatures, as the see invisibility spell. This is a supernatural quality. The hell rager sprouts a pair of batlike wings which gives him a natural fly speed equal to his land speed.

Embrace of the Abyss (Su): At 14th level, while an abyss striker is demonic raging, he gains the protection of the archdemons (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091212111704/dragonage/images/thumb/d/d9/Archdemon11.jpg/736px-Archdemon11.jpg). As long as he is in demonic rage, the abyss striker gains spell resistance and power resistance equal to 15+his class level. This spell resistance is specially crafted by his demons to offer him protection only. All conjuration (healing) spells automatically bypass this spell resistance, unless the abyss striker is healed by negative energy instead. If the abyss striker is healed by negative energy, then the spell resistance does not protect against the inflict spells, nor the spells harm, greater harm, or mass harm.

Spells that would benefit the abyss striker, such as restoration or heroism, still must pass the abyss striker's spell resistance unless he lowers it.

The Power of Demons (Sp): At 17th level, the hell rager gains the special ability to call upon the power of his archdemon lords and beg them to change the world for him. He gains the ability to cast miracle as a spell-like ability once per week. He need not pay the XP cost for any miracles performed this way. If it becomes relevant, the DC for his spellcasting is Charisma based.

Mighty Demonic Rage (Ex): A 20th level abyss striker is more demon than man now. When the abyss striker enters his demonic rage, his bonuses to Str and Cha improve to +8. The penalty to AC remains at -2. The abyss striker gains immunity to electricity and poison, and a +12 profane bonus to Intimidate checks. He gains see invisibility, as well as true seeing. He grows a pair of batlike wings that grant him a fly speed equal to his land speed with good maneuverability, as well as the Flyby Attack feat as a bonus feat for the duration of his demonic rage. He need not meet the prerequisites.

Additionally, once per demonic rage the abyss striker may, as a full-round action, automatically summon 4 dretches, 2 hezrous, or one nalfeshnee, glabrezu, or marilith. This ability is a spell-like ability equivalent to a level 9 spell. (Caster level equal to his abyss striker level). The summoned creature stays for one round per caster level.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-30, 11:42 PM
:smallfrown: I can't believe I spent an hour changing "hell rager" to "abyss striker" and no one cares! Lateral lied to me! He said a Chaotic Evil option for the class would be cool!

Edit: In all seriousness though, I'm curious what people think of the 17th level ability. The miracle ability was supposed to be a more selfish version of the Gift of Devils ability, but is it too much for a melee class?

TravelLog
2011-10-30, 11:50 PM
:smallfrown: I can't believe I spent an hour changing "hell rager" to "abyss striker" and no one cares! Lateral lied to me! He said a Chaotic Evil option for the class would be cool!

Edit: In all seriousness though, I'm curious what people think of the 17th level ability. The miracle ability was supposed to be a more selfish version of the Gift of Devils ability, but is it too much for a melee class?

Hi! Remember those things I gave my Kensei? Personally, I don't think this is a huge deal. Wizards and clerics can do far far more than this. It's flavorful and fitting, and definitely not as broken as you might think.

If you feel you must tone it down, you can use the fact that the character is mainly a barbarian to make it so that his "miracles" are somehow limited by his low intelligence. As in, they have to be less than 20 words or something. To be honest, I think it's fine though.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-30, 11:53 PM
Hi! Remember those things I gave my Kensei? Personally, I don't think this is a huge deal. Wizards and clerics can do far far more than this. It's flavorful and fitting, and definitely not as broken as you might think.

If you feel you must tone it down, you can use the fact that the character is mainly a barbarian to make it so that his "miracles" are somehow limited by his low intelligence. As in, they have to be less than 20 words or something. To be honest, I think it's fine though.

I thought that the 1/week limitation made it pretty tame.

Noctis Vigil
2011-10-31, 12:06 AM
*strokes NeoSeraphi's ego* There there, we do care. See, I'll even make a good suggestion to prove it. :smallwink:

1/week on the miracle? That's not very over powered at all. Personally, I think there should be some sort of cost instead of a time frame. I mean a "do X favor to get your way done" sort of cost; should be up to GM's discretion, and performable within a reasonable timeframe, certainly no more than a day, although if spam should happen making it longer quests is entirely reasonable.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-31, 12:12 AM
*strokes NeoSeraphi's ego* There there, we do care. See, I'll even make a good suggestion to prove it. :smallwink:

*sees the word "stroke" and immediately thinks "I need an adult!"*

1/week on the miracle? That's not very over powered at all. Personally, I think there should be some sort of cost instead of a time frame. I mean a "do X favor to get your way done" sort of cost; should be up to GM's discretion, and performable within a reasonable timeframe, certainly no more than a day, although if spam should happen making it longer quests is entirely reasonable.

You want me to have him form contracts in order to gain power from the demons? That sounds both oddly Lawful and oddly like a Pact with the Nine Hells...

Noctis Vigil
2011-11-01, 11:54 PM
Twas just a thought.

...A thought that gives me a fantastic idea for a PrC, if not a base class. :smallamused:

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-02, 01:31 PM
Dropped the bonus to Intimidate down to +4, and clarified the helpless function of Strike of Evil.

Lateral
2011-11-02, 03:00 PM
Oh, you put this into an entirely different thread. :smallconfused:

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-02, 03:31 PM
Oh, you put this into an entirely different thread. :smallconfused:

Yup. It's a different class, not an ACF.

Keinnicht
2011-11-03, 01:33 PM
I'd recommend putting at least some kind of cost on the miracle power. Maybe sacrifice a sentient creature of at least (X) HD/Level?

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-03, 01:41 PM
I'd recommend putting at least some kind of cost on the miracle power. Maybe sacrifice a sentient creature of at least (X) HD/Level?

But what if there's no time? I'm thinking if I can only ask for a miracle once per week, I'd use it sparingly, like to put out an enormous fire that threatened to burn down an entire village (that I needed alive for evil reasons) or to resurrect a fallen comrade.

The idea of a miracle is it is simply divine intervention. Why would you need to sacrifice anything for your god to step in?