PDA

View Full Version : BG's Down, but Many Threads Saved

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-10-30, 10:00 PM
BG might be more than (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?board=9.0) just experiencing down time.

"The website you were trying to reach is temporarily unavailable.

Please check back soon.

If you are the owner of this website, please log in for additional
information or contact us as soon as possible."

The login has "suspended" in the url. :(

Anyways, I've been stashing 3.5 information in an obscure (and safe) gaming forum here. The goal is to move every bit of useful information from BG (which assumably has everything salvagable and useful from 339).

I've gone through the back pages 67-209 more or less carefully. I still have a bunch to info-dump, but if need be I can chew through my 40 or so tabs soonish.

I've also been going through this boards.

Since about 7pm EST, its been asking for login credentials. So that's good ... I think.

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-10-30, 10:32 PM
Boards are down
October 31, 2011 By: Josh Category: News

Sometime this morning the normally high volume of spam attacks on our boards increased so the hosting company shut down the website. We got it turned back on, but the boards are still down.

We working to solve the problem right now.
The username pop up is to keep spammers out and your regular name and password will not work.

So perhaps there's no issue?

Psyren
2011-10-30, 11:52 PM
My thought is that we'd just have to wait for whatever spam attack is afflicting them to end and things will go back to normal. (Perhaps with stricter registration requirements.)

But backing up useful data is never a bad idea. Keep 3.5 alive!

Big Fau
2011-11-06, 11:41 PM
They've fixed the problem by making a new forum entirely. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/the-boards-are-back-and-better/)

And, as a result, the Handbooks are gone. Completely. The moderators over there are working to restore them, apparently.

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-06, 11:42 PM
Actually, the threads in BG are saved (ie, the handbooks are still there), but they, along with everything else, are all locked so that no one can reply to them.

Big Fau
2011-11-06, 11:45 PM
Actually, the threads in BG are saved (ie, the handbooks are still there), but they, along with everything else, are all locked so that no one can reply to them.

Yeah, just checked that myself. There was also a pair of new threads there stating that those boards would only be open like that for a few months though.

Psyren
2011-11-07, 12:07 AM
I asked Prime32 if they wanted community help moving the handbooks over but no reply yet.

IIRC, some of the authors aren't around or active anymore so I don't know how the permission aspect of it would go either. Or if there's a blanket "I gave permission for X to be hosted on BG, which will automatically carry over to the new place."

I'm also not sure if they can prevent this from happening again. I don't need to know how obviously as that would involve security stuff, but just the knowledge that they know what the hole was and that it's been patched up would be comforting.