PDA

View Full Version : AoO off AoO?

Herabec
2011-10-30, 10:39 PM
Hey, Playground. Someone in a recent game jokingly mentioned it, but I've gotten to thinking about whether or not there was some obscure feat or ability out there to allow it... So I've come to my favorite hangout of cheese makers!

Is there anything out there that allows one to make an Attack of Opportunity when they are attacked by an Attack of Opportunity? :smallbiggrin:

Kalirren
2011-10-30, 10:47 PM
Karmic Strike is the first candidate that comes to mind, but I don't know its RAW. Karmic Strike causes normal enemy melee attacks to provoke AoO, at least. I don't know if it also causes AoOs to provoke.

Seffbasilisk
2011-10-30, 10:49 PM
If someone takes an AoO with an unarmed strike, but are not proficient with that, they provoke an AoO.

Alternatively, there are things you can do on an AoO (Ex: A trip) that provoke an AoO.

Diefje
2011-10-30, 10:56 PM
Karmic Strike is the first candidate that comes to mind, but I don't know its RAW. Karmic Strike causes normal enemy melee attacks to provoke AoO, at least. I don't know if it also causes AoOs to provoke.

Ye it would work. I don't know about anything that only gets AoOs to provoke AoOs, but some weird pushing people with Karmic Strike into eachother silliness...

flabort
2011-10-30, 11:00 PM
As Seff said, there are ways of provoking an AoO when you take one.

But as to being allowed to take one after being targeted by one...
I don't know of any, but I could look in a feats database.
More likely, someone would have to homebrew it, though. And give it one or more junk feats + combat reflexes as prerequisites.

But what happens if you have this feat (whatever it is), and fight someone else with it? :smalltongue:
It would probably limit the number of AoOs you can take off of a chain like this to your normal limit of 1 or Dex Mod, depending on if you had combat reflexes, whether it's a prereq or not.

Big Fau
2011-10-30, 11:43 PM
If someone takes an AoO with an unarmed strike, but are not proficient with that, they provoke an AoO.

Which invokes a major problem: Using Unarmed Strikes on an AoO is impossible, as you don't threaten squares unless you have IUS.

You'd have to be wielding another weapon and not have IUS in order to use an Unarmed Strike while still provoking another AoO.

Rejakor
2011-10-30, 11:52 PM
Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit both do this.

The person taking the AoO can also provoke one by using a combat maneuver they don't have the feat for/using some ability that provokes AoO's as part of their attack.

If two people with Robilar's Gambit fight, yes, they do blur into a high speed action-dodge AoO battle. And that's absolutely awesome. Why people have a problem with that I have absolutely no idea, since the whole point of the feat is that you're faster than god and focusing on cross-countering.

KillianHawkeye
2011-10-30, 11:59 PM
It would probably limit the number of AoOs you can take off of a chain like this to your normal limit of 1 or Dex Mod, depending on if you had combat reflexes, whether it's a prereq or not.

Note: Combat Reflexes allows you to take Dex mod additional AoOs per round for a total of Dex mod +1.

Gabe the Bard
2011-10-31, 12:48 AM
While RAW it may be feasible, in our games counter attacks like robilar's gambit can't be triggered by other counter attacks. While in theory having two fighters trade multiple blow in a split second might be awesome, you would just end up with one person rolling dice with the DM for a really long time. Once you get into epic levels, the counter attacks could go on forever if you have epic combat reflexes.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-31, 12:56 AM
It's not quite what you're looking for, but I think it can be used in the AOO combo.
There's a ToB ability (stance?maneuver?), Defensive rebuke I think.
You hit someone, and essentially mark them. Now if they attack anyone else, you hit them in punishment.

Person A: D.R's person B.
Person C: Provokes from Person B.
Person B: Takes AOO on B
Person A: Interrupts B's AOO on C, to AOO on B.

Improved/Greater AOO from Dragon Mag lets you start performing iteratives on your AOOs too.

kulosle
2011-10-31, 01:31 AM
fighters get this

COUNTER AT TACK
Every offensive move creates an opening for a counterattack, and you know how to exploit this facet of combat to
its fullest.
Level: 12th.
Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain
the fi ghter bonus feat at 12th level.
Benefi t: At 12th level, you learn to hold back some of
your offensive prowess to enable a potent counterattack. As
a full-round action, make one melee attack at your highest
base attack bonus. At any time before the start of your next
turn, you can use an immediate action to make a melee attack
(using your highest base attack bonus) against an enemy that
attacks you in melee

so it doesn't even says hit, does that mean that his attack finishes first? if so can that be abused some how?

stainboy
2011-10-31, 01:41 AM
Alternatively, there are things you can do on an AoO (Ex: A trip) that provoke an AoO.

Which your opponent can then use to trip you, granting you another AoO...

I have literally seen an 8-deep AoO trip stack happen in a game. Two characters with Combat Reflexes and spiked chains, neither one had Improved Trip. I have a house rule about that now.

deuxhero
2011-10-31, 02:16 AM
You could use Opportunist (Rogue ability) against yourself, no idea why though.

Tr011
2011-10-31, 04:39 AM
While RAW it may be feasible, in our games counter attacks like robilar's gambit can't be triggered by other counter attacks. While in theory having two fighters trade multiple blow in a split second might be awesome, you would just end up with one person rolling dice with the DM for a really long time. Once you get into epic levels, the counter attacks could go on forever if you have epic combat reflexes.

Usually with Robilar's Gambit you are based on Str and Con, so you have at most 3-5 AoOs per turn. If you roll Attack & Damage at the same time, it doesn't take much time.

Acanous
2011-10-31, 04:51 AM
I don't understand how two people would keep AoOing eachother; it specifies in Combat Reflexes that, despite being able to make additional attacks of opportunity, You can still only attack each opponent once.

NNescio
2011-10-31, 05:07 AM
I don't understand how two people would keep AoOing eachother; it specifies in Combat Reflexes that, despite being able to make additional attacks of opportunity, You can still only attack each opponent once.

What.

Where?

Combat Reflexes [General]

Benefit
You may make a number of additional attacks of opportunity equal to your Dexterity bonus.

With this feat, you may also make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed.

Normal
A character without this feat can make only one attack of opportunity per round and can’t make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed.

Special
The Combat Reflexes feat does not allow a rogue to use her opportunist ability more than once per round.

A fighter may select Combat Reflexes as one of his fighter bonus feats.

A monk may select Combat Reflexes as a bonus feat at 2nd level.

Combat Reflexes and Additional Attacks of Opportunity

If you have the Combat Reflexes feat you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.

Runestar
2011-10-31, 05:08 AM

Once per AoO.

Another idea I can think of is disarm.

A disarms B, provokes an AoO.
B uses the AoO to disarm A, triggering an AoO of his own.
A uses the AoO to disarm B, triggering...

Repeat until one side runs out of AoOs. :smallbiggrin:

Gwendol
2011-10-31, 06:22 AM
The rule is that an action can only provoke once: meaning that if an opponent leaves several of your threatened squares in a round, you can only take one AoO. However, if that same opponent stands up from prone, sheathes a weapon, casts a spell, and leaves a threatened square you can keep attacking him/her for each of the provoking actions until you run out of AoO's.