PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] optimizing holly and mistletoe

kulosle
2011-10-31, 04:22 AM
so there are several items throughout dnd that are either weightless or cost no gold, or both. this is begging to be optimized in some way. but as much as i rack my brains for answers i just can't seem to find a way to do this. any ideas? feel free to use any of the weightless or free items, it doesn't actually have to be holly and mistletoe i just sited them because they are free and weightless.

faceroll
2011-10-31, 04:27 AM
Check out the crafting rules.:smallwink:

Seharvepernfan
2011-10-31, 06:36 AM
so there are several items throughout dnd that are either weightless or cost no gold, or both. this is begging to be optimized in some way. but as much as i rack my brains for answers i just can't seem to find a way to do this. any ideas? feel free to use any of the weightless or free items, it doesn't actually have to be holly and mistletoe i just sited them because they are free and weightless.

If you did optimize it, it would end up being homebrew. So really it's going to be a rule 0 thing. We could still give you ideas, but it'd be homebrew.

faceroll
2011-10-31, 06:43 AM
If you did optimize it, it would end up being homebrew. So really it's going to be a rule 0 thing. We could still give you ideas, but it'd be homebrew.

???
Go look at the crafting rules.

Seharvepernfan
2011-10-31, 06:45 AM
???
Go look at the crafting rules.

What am I looking for?

faceroll
2011-10-31, 06:52 AM
What am I looking for?

Crafting times. They're based on cost.

kulosle
2011-10-31, 06:57 AM
yes you could theoretically instantly make as much 0 cost items as you wanted, but what would be the point of that? i would like to find an official way to abuse this, but my group often uses homebrews and i'd love to here those ideas too.

faceroll
2011-10-31, 07:00 AM
yes you could theoretically instantly make as much 0 cost items as you wanted, but what would be the point of that? i would like to find an official way to abuse this, but my group often uses homebrews and i'd love to here those ideas too.

You can make an infinite number of quarterstaves on your turn.

Bovine Colonel
2011-10-31, 09:47 AM

Crushing by quarterstaff? :smalleek:

Seharvepernfan
2011-10-31, 10:09 AM
Crushing by quarterstaff? :smalleek:

Person #1: "And this is the quarterstaff pit. This is where all the quarterstaffs in the world come from."

Person #2: "...uhh, all of them?"

Person #1: "Yes, the Prime Creator make a craft check to make quarterstaffs, to ...disastrous...results."

Person #2: :smalleek: "So, what happened to the ...Prime Creator?"

Person #1: "It is theorized that his corpse is still down there...somewhere."

Person #2: "I don't understand, how did he die?"

Person #1: "When he made The Check, quarterstaffs poured into existence until all around him until the weight crushed him to death, which is when The Check stopped."

Person #2: "Sir, I believe I have an idea that may end the war, but we're going to need a weaponsmith who wants to die..."

kulosle
2011-10-31, 10:38 AM
hahaha okay yes i now have an infinite supply of 2x4s, but can i really be ridiculous with this like the jumpomancer or something to that affect?

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-10-31, 12:18 PM
Technically by RAW you can make an effectively limitless number of any 0gp item from no materials, I guess. So the most obvious uses would be filling pits with the item, leaving piles of the item as barracades/cover, dropping 1000's into a creatures mouth when it's trying to eat you or filling it's stomach with them if you've been eaten, pile them up as a makeshift ramp, use them to get out of a pit by repeatdly layering them and stepping on top; basically it could be used as a poorman's immovable rod.

All of these uses are of course incredibly silly since they depend on interpretting RAW to allow you to spontaneously produce an infinite amount of matter and a DM that was a slave to RAW over logic could counter by saying all these thing's don't work because it's a pile of things with no weight and therefore the pile has no weight and moving or destroying it is as effortless as walking through the air around you.

faceroll
2011-10-31, 12:35 PM
That's why you use quarterstaves. They cost nothing and weigh 4lbs. You can craft quarterstaves for colossal creatures for free. Create trees from pure RAW!

Telonius
2011-10-31, 12:37 PM
[3.5] optimizing holly and mistletoe

This guy (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20011222x) could probably help you out. Otherwise, just hunt down the highest-charisma person you can find. :smallbiggrin:

Diefje
2011-10-31, 12:48 PM
That's why you use quarterstaves. They cost nothing and weigh 4lbs. You can craft quarterstaves for colossal creatures for free. Create trees from pure RAW!

You still need the raw materials (doesn't cost anyhing, but you still need it), and tools. You can't just pull them out of thin air.

However, you can have a quarterstaff factory that makes gold selling free items with free material cost

Big Fau
2011-10-31, 01:02 PM

Reminds me of the item cloning glitch in Oblivion. Suddenly, Wabbajacks. THOUSANDS OF THEM.

ross
2016-08-30, 01:12 PM
This guy could probably help you out. Otherwise, just hunt down the highest-charisma person you can find. :smallbiggrin:

link's broken

Ruethgar
2016-08-30, 05:37 PM
There is a spell side effect that reduces the weight of the target by 20lb. Prestidigitate a raft of instantly crafted whatever or pockets filled with whats-it and you can get a form of flight for low low cost of 0 and a 0th level spell.

Big Fau
2016-08-30, 11:14 PM
link's broken

There is a spell side effect that reduces the weight of the target by 20lb. Prestidigitate a raft of instantly crafted whatever or pockets filled with whats-it and you can get a form of flight for low low cost of 0 and a 0th level spell.

This thread is 5 years old...

Bohandas
2016-08-31, 12:50 AM
Reminds me of the item cloning glitch in Oblivion. Suddenly, Wabbajacks. THOUSANDS OF THEM.

Which is actually strangely appropriate