PDA

View Full Version : 'Reversed Dungeon' themed game, help needed

Evincar
2011-10-31, 05:05 AM
Hello all!

For a one-shot adventure I am doing this Saturday, I could use a bit of help. I wanted to show my players what it'd be like to wield a lot of power, and allow them to make a monster character of CR17 (all WotC books allowed). My intent was to assault their dungeon with adventurers and make it an interesting day.

Since the day is for honoring my upcoming birthday, I also invited some people from another D&D group I play in. This possibly gives me about 6-8 players for that day.

Now, I may have made a mistake. 6-8 monsters of CR17 can tear through almost any adventurer group I set against them. Especially since I am to play all the adventurers (and can never tactically outwit those monsters OOC'ly).

So I'm wondering: what kind of interesting challenges can I put against them? Not all of it (maybe the least of it) should be combat. I thought of some things, but would like to hear the community's ideas and expand on those as well!

Hope to hear some cool creative ideas!

Greymane
2011-10-31, 05:26 AM
The unspeakably evil and powerful wizard lich who owns the dungeon they live in (and thus they work for), is having his annual bout of depression about his lost love leaving him (he liquified her, but it didn't make the pain go away). It's up to the monsters to cheer him up before he unmakes the surrounding countryside in a spectacular suicidal explosion!

limejuicepowder
2011-10-31, 06:10 AM
a BBEG from another dungeon/castle/hideout has come to the player's dungeon looking to "poach some workers" - rumors of the most awful, powerful beasts living at that dungeon (the players) brought him there, and he's looking to hire good gaurds for his own place.

Seharvepernfan
2011-10-31, 06:32 AM
I have an idea that would be challenging to pull off, but could be a lot of fun. You could separate your two groups into adventurer's and monsters, and have them work against each other. They could be in separate rooms or just whisper to you what they decide to do.

That way, its actively challenging for both groups, as they are each working against several minds instead of one large group working against you (while you deal with DMing the whole thing). It's your birthday, you shouldn't have to do so much work!

If you want your first group to really experience the power, maybe let them be a bit higher level than the adventurers, or maybe just assign more people to that group, or even just give them the dungeon's defenses ON TOP of what gear they would normally have.

That sounds like a lot of fun to me...

Evincar
2011-10-31, 07:03 AM
Hey all!

Thanks so far for the ideas, and keep them coming.

Seharvepernfan: I thought about this and dismissed it, though it might be usable again. I dismissed it because I'd like all the players to be able to play monsters.

Combined with limejuicepowder's "taking over someone else's dungeon" idea, I could have everyone play monsters and still have them attack eachother. I'll ponder some on this idea. Especially on how to pull this off practically and what the story behind it could be.

Another important thing I want to keep an eye on: there should be a lot of roleplay opportunity, not just combat.

Acanous
2011-10-31, 08:24 AM
Could be really cool if you gave them each a set number of GP and the Stronghold Buildder's Guide.

Monster cost would be 1000GP*ECL, Traps at cost, etc. Then run the dungeon.

BooNL
2011-10-31, 08:39 AM
You could have them lead the dungeon and take inspiration from the Dungeon Keeper pc games.

During 'down time' they'd have to deal with rioting monsters, building new chambers and amassing their vast wealth. Every once in a while some goody two shoes show up at their doorstep and they have to take measures to stop them.

Give them all Leadership for free and have each of them be responsible for their own squad of monsters. This could also lead to some intrigue and interparty squable.

sirpercival
2011-10-31, 09:07 AM
Well, here's a relatively fleshed-out idea; you can change the details as you see fit:

(a) The monsters (for whatever reason) have been inhabiting a dungeon, making it over as they see fit.
(b) Some adventurers show up to do what adventurers do. The two groups begin the game by working against each other.
(c) However, at some point in the game, the dungeon begins working against both groups. It turns out that the mind of Pandorym, the Elder Evil, was buried in the bedrock beneath the dungeon, and has begun animating things and making them attack monsters and PCs alike.
(d) Both groups need to work together to fight off Pandorym.

Basically the idea is to start off the two groups against each other, then give them a common enemy so they have to work together.

Gwendol
2011-10-31, 09:14 AM
Sounds like a game of DungeonKeeper!

The thing with monsters is that they tend to be evil, and so might be vying for the top spot of the dungeon and thus not necessarily help their fellow monster out when under assault...

Why do they have to be so high in CR? Tone down the rating a little to make the game more manageable perhaps?

Add rivalries and intrigue to spice things up! Also, not all adventurers need to be lawful good; throw in a few shifty characters that may have another agenda?

Evincar
2011-10-31, 09:27 AM
I have thought about the "Dungeon Keeper" style of play. That can be a lot of fun, but can never be finished in a one-shot session. Especially when they get to design the whole dungeon (it will take hours for them to do, even before we start playing).

Toning down the CR's has crossed my mind, but to make it managable at all with the current ideas means toning it down a lot. And that takes the prime motivation for this away: playing kick-ass monsters.

I will definately not only send LG adventurers. The higher the levels, the bigger the gains, the more interesting it gets for demons, devils and whatnot to go for the riches. Mindflayers with dominated monsters as pets are definately an option!

Gwendol
2011-10-31, 10:37 AM
You can't give them homework?

If they get to design it will make for a very fun adventure... Still, I'm sure you'll end up having a blast!

Evincar
2011-10-31, 10:42 AM
Does anybody have experience with the Teratomorph from MM2? I think I found my 'common enemy'. :xykon: