PDA

View Full Version : Cooperative Metamagic

sirpercival
2011-10-31, 07:49 AM
At the suggestion of [someone I can't remember at the moment], I'm making this a separate thread.

Can an Incantatrix use Cooperative Metamagic to apply metamagic to someone else's casting of a spell from a spell-completion item like a scroll or a minor schema?

Discuss.

EDIT: A little more specific information. I have an Incantatrix in an evil game who has an Ur-Priest cohort. They are kind of paranoid, and put up a whole bunch of defensive enchantments daily. I bought some minor schema of the 5th- and 6th-level spells, and I HAD been using Metamagic Effect to extend or persist them. However, ME is much more useful than CM and I'd rather spend daily uses of CM instead of ME.

sirpercival
2011-11-01, 04:10 AM
Almost 24hrs and no responses? No one has an opinion?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-11-01, 04:15 AM
Reposting from RAW thread:

Q 86 Can a 2nd-level incantatrix use his Cooperative Metamagic ability to add metamagic feats to a spell cast via a spell-completion item, such as a scroll?

A 86 probably not, and ambiguous even in the other cases.

first of all, cooperative metamagic has an action cost of a standard action. this makes most things undoable.

second, it's not very well-defined whether using a spell-effect item counts as casting. it does get referred to as "casting" several times.

third, adjacent is defined as "In a square that shares a border or a corner with a designated square. Each square is adjacent to eight other squares on the board." the definition says "a" border or "a" corner, implying adjacent only allows a single shared border or corner; your own square shares four borders and four corners with itself. but RAW is silly sometimes. that reading might be considered somewhat ridiculous.

Dispute A86:
Take, for instance, the humble scroll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm). First line in the SRD description: "A scroll is a spell (or collection of spells) that has been stored in written form. A spell on a scroll can be used only once. The writing vanishes from the scroll when the spell is activated. Using a scroll is basically like casting a spell." From this it appears that casting a spell from a scroll counts for the purposes of cooperative metamagic. The important distinction is that the item in question has to explicitly say it's like casting a spell. On top of all that, I'm not really following the "adjacent" stuff. That said, I agree there may be some ambiguity here. If serpercival wishes to discuss the matter further I suggest he create a new thread.I stand by my interpretation... unless someone like Curmudgeon comes in here and RAWflstomps me.