PDA

View Full Version : Bigger weapons: Increase reach?

Snowbluff
2011-10-31, 10:02 AM
So, if a human has a huge weapon, does she get like a huge reach, a medium one, or do we split the difference and say large?

dextercorvia
2011-10-31, 10:04 AM
So, if a human has a huge weapon, does she get like a huge reach, a medium one, or do we split the difference and say large?

Larger weapons do not increase reach at all. He would have 5' reach, or 10' if it was a reach weapon.

Snowbluff
2011-10-31, 10:07 AM
Larger weapons do not increase reach at all. He would have 5' reach, or 10' if it was a reach weapon.

KK, that's what I though ^^

Now time to take the gish who said down a peg :smallamused:

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-31, 10:15 AM

If this were true, Monkey Hand would be a good feat :smallamused::smallamused:.

Keld Denar
2011-10-31, 10:24 AM
Actually, due to the wording (appropriately sized), a large sized reach weapon in the hands of a medium creature would only provide 5' reach. A reach weapon only grants reach when its sized appropriately for the creature wielding it.

dextercorvia
2011-10-31, 10:38 AM
Actually, due to the wording (appropriately sized), a large sized reach weapon in the hands of a medium creature would only provide 5' reach. A reach weapon only grants reach when its sized appropriately for the creature wielding it.

I see that for large creatures, but I can't find that for medium creatures.

Lapak
2011-10-31, 10:45 AM
I see that for large creatures, but I can't find that for medium creatures.Rules aside, it makes sense to me. If you're using a Large longspear, it's too big and unwieldy for you to use it as a longspear. Nothing to do with weight, it's just so awkwardly long in proportion to your height and limbs that you have to choke way, way up on it to use it at all. Same with, say, a Huge spiked chain: there's too much slack in the chain relative to your arm's length and you can only actually wield, say, the final 5' on each end in any kind of effective way.

kulosle
2011-10-31, 03:18 PM
all though it is rather funny that your character can wield a greatsword that ends up being almost 30 feet long but you still can only hit people right next to eachother. i once had a DM that house ruled that upping your swords size, if it made it long enough, would give you reach. you still only threatened the squares next to you but you could hit people further out. it wasn't broken and it made the melee character suck less.

brujon
2011-10-31, 03:33 PM
Rules aside, it makes sense to me. If you're using a Large longspear, it's too big and unwieldy for you to use it as a longspear. Nothing to do with weight, it's just so awkwardly long in proportion to your height and limbs that you have to choke way, way up on it to use it at all. Same with, say, a Huge spiked chain: there's too much slack in the chain relative to your arm's length and you can only actually wield, say, the final 5' on each end in any kind of effective way.

No, with larger reach weapons, you actually get the larger reach. But with normal weapons, your reach remains the same, regardless if you're wielding a 15ft long greatsword...

Keld Denar
2011-10-31, 03:36 PM
Citation? The only reason a larger reach weapon would have a longer reach would be if it were wielded by a larger creature. For reach and non-reach weapons alike, they are dependant on the natural reach of the wielder, never any individual weapon size.

marcielle
2011-10-31, 03:46 PM
Tell that to Sephiroth lol.

Tvtyrant
2011-10-31, 03:52 PM
You could make a decent prestige class that would allow people to get their reach from their weapon size, but by RAW it doesn't work that way.

prufock
2011-11-01, 06:41 AM
Keep in mind the sizing rules. Each size increase of the weapon also increases its size category - so a large longsword is 2-handed for a human, essentially equivalent to a greatsword. A HUGE longsword would put it above the 2-handed size category, which means you normally can't use it at all. Monkey Grip/Strongarm Bracers/Powerful Build would allow you to wield it.

Without one of these, you can really only use a Huge... dagger or something, as a medium creature. A huge dagger is more or less equivalent to a longsword, so reach shouldn't really be an issue anyway.

I just noticed something else. Unless there is a clarification somewhere that I missed, ranged (non-thrown) weapons don't really have a size category. Or perhaps more accurately, "Ranged Weapons" is its own size category. I'm not sure how this affects the size category rules, which all specify melee weapons.

I'm also not sure how this affects the "inappropriately sized weapon" line, which doesn't seem to specify melee only. By the rules, either you can't use inappropriately sized ranged weapons AT ALL or you can use inappropriately sized ranged weapons OF ANY SIZE, depending on how you read that.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-01, 09:25 AM
Forgive formatting please. In 3.5, weilding a large shortsword is not the same as a medium Longsword. It's just a very heavy and big shortsword. It's weighted as a shortsword which is different than a Longsword. It's still a light weapon but you take additional penalties. And I fairly sure you can't wield a weapon sized for some one 2 sizes larger or smaller or more. AFB for the moment.

Keep in mind the sizing rules. Each size increase of the weapon also increases its size category - so a large longsword is 2-handed for a human, essentially equivalent to a greatsword. A HUGE longsword would put it above the 2-handed size category, which means you normally can't use it at all. Monkey Grip/Strongarm Bracers/Powerful Build would allow you to wield it.

Without one of these, you can really only use a Huge... dagger or something, as a medium creature. A huge dagger is more or less equivalent to a longsword, so reach shouldn't really be an issue anyway.

I just noticed something else. Unless there is a clarification somewhere that I missed, ranged (non-thrown) weapons don't really have a size category. Or perhaps more accurately, "Ranged Weapons" is its own size category. I'm not sure how this affects the size category rules, which all specify melee weapons.

I'm also not sure how this affects the "inappropriately sized weapon" line, which doesn't seem to specify melee only. By the rules, either you can't use inappropriately sized ranged weapons AT ALL or you can use inappropriately sized ranged weapons OF ANY SIZE, depending on how you read that.