PDA

View Full Version : Are Alchemists casters?

Larpus
2011-10-31, 10:34 AM
Sooo...again coming from the PF Q&A thread, here comes another hard to answer question that ironically wasn't actually the question.

Anyway, without further ado:

Many feats, mainly the item creation line, requires Caster Level in order for the PC to qualify, that is fine and dandy, full-casters are casters of course, half-casters are casters too and even pseudo-casters (Paladin and Ranger) are casters.

But then comes the Alchemist, who is a half-caster that may or may not be a caster.

For starters, he doesn't actively cast the spells, but rather prepare them into potion-like "items", to the point that he fully casts his spells prior to using them (it's even unclear if he uses somatic/verbal components or if he has arcane spell failure) and then only take a standard action later to activate the effect, being able to do so while grappled, silenced and with no chance of getting interrupted (other than attacking the vial) or countered.

Then he has a caster level at the same time that he doesn't have one as "The alchemist uses his level as the caster level to determine any effect based on caster level". This specific wording is not present in any other half-caster or even the pseudo-casters, leaving it open to interpretation whether or not he actually has a caster level or not when it comes to feats and other things.

Further, while he can activate spell trigger items normally, he is specifically said to be unable to use spell completion ones without a UMD check, even form spells on his list.

With all that said, however, he is specifically said to be able to control and channel arcane energy and can even learn his spells (called extracts) from Wizards (but not the other way around) and scrolls.

So, what is your opinion on the matter?

Is the Alchemist a caster?

Can he take feats that depend on CL?

And now the specific question that spawned it all: can he grab Scribe Scroll and if he can, what happens? Is he able to use scrolls he has made himself without UMD or he knows how to make scrolls but has no idea how to use them?

Alchemy (Su)

Alchemists are not only masters of creating mundane alchemical substances such as alchemist’s fire and smokesticks, but also of fashioning magical potionlike extracts in which they can store spell effects. In effect, an alchemist prepares his spells by mixing ingredients into a number of extracts, and then “casts” his spells by drinking the extract. When an alchemist creates an extract or bomb, he infuses the concoction with a tiny fraction of his own magical power—this enables the creation of powerful effects, but also binds the effects to the creator. When using Craft (alchemy) to create an alchemical item, an alchemist gains a competence bonus equal to his class level on the Craft (alchemy) check. In addition, an alchemist can use Craft (alchemy) to identify potions as if using detect magic. He must hold the potion for 1 round to make such a check.

An alchemist can create three special types of magical items—extracts, bombs, and mutagens are transformative elixirs that the alchemist drinks to enhance his physical abilities—both of these are detailed in their own sections below.

Extracts are the most varied of the three. In many ways, they behave like spells in potion form, and as such their effects can be dispelled by effects like dispel magic using the alchemist’s level as the caster level. Unlike potions, though, extracts can have powerful effects and duplicate spells that a potion normally could not.

An alchemist can create only a certain number of extracts of each level per day. His base daily allotment of extracts is given on Table: Alchemist. In addition, he receives bonus extracts per day if he has a high Intelligence score, in the same way a wizard receives bonus spells per day. When an alchemist mixes an extract, he infuses the chemicals and reagents in the extract with magic siphoned from his own magical aura. An extract immediately becomes inert if it leaves the alchemist’s possession, reactivating as soon as it returns to his keeping—an alchemist cannot normally pass out his extracts for allies to use (but see the “infusion” discovery below). An extract, once created, remains potent for 1 day before becoming inert, so an alchemist must re-prepare his extracts every day. Mixing an extract takes 1 minute of work—most alchemists prepare many extracts at the start of the day or just before going on an adventure, but it’s not uncommon for an alchemist to keep some (or even all) of his daily extract slots open so that he can prepare extracts in the field as needed.

Although the alchemist doesn’t actually cast spells, he does have a formulae list that determines what extracts he can create. An alchemist can utilize spell-trigger items if the spell appears on his formulae list, but not spell-completion items (unless he uses Use Magic Device to do so). An extract is “cast” by drinking it, as if imbibing a potion—the effects of an extract exactly duplicate the spell upon which its formula is based, save that the spell always affects only the drinking alchemist. The alchemist uses his level as the caster level to determine any effect based on caster level. Creating extracts consumes raw materials, but the cost of these materials is insignificant—comparable to the valueless material components of most spells. If a spell normally has a costly material component, that component is expended during the consumption of that particular extract. Extracts cannot be made from spells that have focus requirements (alchemist extracts that duplicate divine spells never have a divine focus requirement). An alchemist can prepare an extract of any formula he knows. To learn or use an extract, an alchemist must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the extract’s level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an alchemist’s extract is 10 + the extract level + the alchemist’s Intelligence modifier. An alchemist may know any number of formulae. He stores his formulae in a special tome called a formula book. He must refer to this book whenever he prepares an extract but not when he consumes it. An alchemist begins play with two 1stlevel formulae of his choice, plus a number of additional forumlae equal to his Intelligence modifier. At each new alchemist level, he gains one new formula of any level that he can create. An alchemist can also add formulae to his book just like a wizard adds spells to his spellbook, using the same costs and time requirements. An alchemist can study a wizard’s spellbook to learn any formula that is equivalent to a spell the spellbook contains. A wizard, however, cannot learn spells from a formula book. An alchemist does not need to decipher arcane writings before copying them.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-31, 10:41 AM
The alchemist does not have a "Spells" or "Spellcasting" class feature. He has a class feature that acts like spellcasting, but not one that is actually spellcasting.

Further, the description of the class reads:

Whether secreted away in a smoky basement laboratory or gleefully experimenting in a well-respected school of magic, the alchemist is often regarded as being just as unstable, unpredictable, and dangerous as the concoctions he brews. While some creators of alchemical items content themselves with sedentary lives as merchants, providing tindertwigs and smokesticks, the true alchemist answers a deeper calling. Rather than cast magic like a spellcaster, the alchemist captures his own magic potential within liquids and extracts he creates, infusing his chemicals with virulent power to grant him impressive skill with poisons, explosives, and all manner of self-transformative magic.

Plus:

Extracts are the most varied of the three. In many ways, they behave like spells in potion form, and as such their effects can be dispelled by effects like dispel magic using the alchemist’s level as the caster level. Unlike potions, though, extracts can have powerful effects and duplicate spells that a potion normally could not.

[...]

Although the alchemist doesn’t actually cast spells, he does have a formulae list that determines what extracts he can create. An alchemist can utilize spell-trigger items if the spell appears on his formulae list, but not spell-completion items (unless he uses Use Magic Device to do so). An extract is “cast” by drinking it, as if imbibing a potion—the effects of an extract exactly duplicate the spell upon which its formula is based, save that the spell always affects only the drinking alchemist. The alchemist uses his level as the caster level to determine any effect based on caster level.Since an alchemist does not have a caster level, the Alchemy class feature has to delineate what to do in the case of dispel magic and determining level dependent effects, in this case substituting the alchemist's class level for his caster level. However, that's only for specific instances.

At 1st level, alchemists receive Brew Potion as a bonus feat. An alchemist can brew potions of any formulae he knows (up to 3rd level), using his alchemist level as his caster level. The spell must be one that can be made into a potion. The alchemist does not need to meet the prerequisites for this feat.This bonus feat is specifically delineated to bypass normal prerequisites, meaning he wouldn't have been able to take it normally. Further, it continues to call out the "alchemist level for caster level" substitution that spellcasters do not have.

And now the specific question that spawned it all: can he grab Scribe Scroll and if he can, what happens? Is he able to use scrolls he has made himself without UMD or he knows how to make scrolls but has no idea how to use them?He cannot, as he does not meet the caster level prerequisite.

legomaster00156
2011-10-31, 11:55 AM
Fax has summed up the RAW answer, but personally, I would add the houserule that, yes, their "somewhat-caster level" allows for the meeting of prerequisites. In fact, that houserule applies in my game, where the party craftsman is an Alchemist.

Larpus
2011-10-31, 11:59 AM
Yeah, that was also the rulling of my DM, he considered "any effect based on caster level" as extending to feat pre-reqs and the such.

In such a situation I guess it's sensible to say that while a normal Alchemist can't use scrolls without UMD one with Scribe Scroll can (as long as the spell is on his list and he follows the other limitations, of course)?

But even so, it still makes me a bit bitter inside that not only Alchemists have no cantrips, but that Paladins and Rangers are more casters than them despite only having 4 spell levels.

RndmNumGen
2011-10-31, 12:05 PM
Another question then: Do PRCs which give "+1 level of existing class" for spells also add to extracts? Granted most such PRCs require you to be able to cast up to a certain spell level, but for the others, would they be a viable Alchemist PRC?

Larpus
2011-10-31, 12:15 PM
By RAW, I guess that no, they don't, don't think it would be overpowered in any way or a ridiculous house-rule to say that they do tho, otherwise it just locks the Alchemist too far away from everyone else.

Mustard
2011-10-31, 12:39 PM
RndmNumGen's question on PrCs for Alchemists is interesting to consider. I am not too familiar with the PrCs (whenever I go through the list, I think, "meh"), but I don't think there are any I find worthwhile in convincing a GM for permission to adapt to an Alchemist.

I think the fact an Alchemist's extracts are self-targeting is the main issue. If there were anything for them, I suspect it would be something for abjurers. Like take something from 3.5 (Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil?), tailor it for an Alchemist, and maybe that'll be good. I'm not too familiar with that either, but if you're going to petition for a houserule for alchemists, might as well try for an import from 3.5, too? But then you have selfish abjurations, though the Infusion Discovery can help, I suppose. Just bouncing around thoughts, here.

Retech
2011-11-01, 06:56 AM
This was addressed on the Paizo boards. The creator of the alchemist class basically said he intended the alchemist to be a caster, with the stuff that it entails. The formulae are basically equal to spells.

RAW he acknowledged that this wasn't necessarily the case, but that was his opinion on the subject. So this is actually RAI.

Larpus
2011-11-01, 09:27 AM
This was addressed on the Paizo boards. The creator of the alchemist class basically said he intended the alchemist to be a caster, with the stuff that it entails. The formulae are basically equal to spells.

RAW he acknowledged that this wasn't necessarily the case, but that was his opinion on the subject. So this is actually RAI.
That is very awesome news.

I mean, I was feeling weird that the very martial Paladin and Rangers were more casters than Alchemists and that Alchemists are the most crafty fluffed of all casters second only to the Artificer.

Anyway got a link to his line for future reference?

Eshi
2011-11-01, 09:37 AM
so... does this mean an alchemist can use pearls of power? I mean, he prepares spells, and he's intended to be a spellcaster even though he doesn't literally cast spells... :smalleek:

Fax Celestis
2011-11-01, 09:56 AM
so... does this mean an alchemist can use pearls of power? I mean, he prepares spells, and he's intended to be a spellcaster even though he doesn't literally cast spells... :smalleek:

Still no, RAW-wise. Pearls of power restore spell slots, not extracts.

Larpus
2011-11-01, 10:02 AM
Still no, RAW-wise. Pearls of power restore spell slots, not extracts.
Yup, but it is now official RAI, so you have a strong case to present to your DM.

Psyren
2011-11-01, 10:15 AM
Having a caster level does not make you a spellcaster. Case in point, Warlock. They're two different things.

Eshi
2011-11-01, 10:19 AM
Still no, RAW-wise. Pearls of power restore spell slots, not extracts.Bah. The RAW reading is just ridiculous. The whole extract deal should be for flavor, it shouldn't mean "oh, you're using extract slots instead of spell slots, so you're now locked out of 90% of the things everyone else can do". It sucks if that's just RAI :smallconfused:

Fax Celestis
2011-11-01, 10:45 AM
Bah. The RAW reading is just ridiculous. The whole extract deal should be for flavor, it shouldn't mean "oh, you're using extract slots instead of spell slots, so you're now locked out of 90% of the things everyone else can do". It sucks if that's just RAI :smallconfused:

It says right in the class description that they are not spellcasters. Why, then, would they qualify for spellcaster-only things?

Eshi
2011-11-01, 11:36 AM
It says right in the class description that they are not spellcasters. Why, then, would they qualify for spellcaster-only things?I'm not saying anything to the contrary, I'm saying that it's absurd that they are designed that way. It seems like an arbitrary and annoying "feature" of the class.

Fax Celestis
2011-11-01, 01:01 PM
I'm not saying anything to the contrary, I'm saying that it's absurd that they are designed that way. It seems like an arbitrary and annoying "feature" of the class.

Do you feel the same about psions not being able to make use of pearls of power? How about sorcerers? Summoners? Witches? Don't misremember the oft-overlooked clause that spontaneous casters can't use pearls.

What it boils down to is that it's a different mechanic, and as such requires different support.

Eshi
2011-11-01, 02:42 PM
Do you feel the same about psions not being able to make use of pearls of power? How about sorcerers? Summoners? Witches? Don't misremember the oft-overlooked clause that spontaneous casters can't use pearls.

What it boils down to is that it's a different mechanic, and as such requires different support.AFAIK alchemists have a lot less support specifically aimed at them compared to classes like psion and sorceror. Although, you are right. It just seems to block them off from a lot of options that wouldn't be broken or would still make sense. I mean, alchemists can use wands for formulae they know, but it's impossible for alchemists to craft them themselves? sense does not make.

Larpus
2011-11-01, 03:27 PM
AFAIK alchemists have a lot less support specifically aimed at them compared to classes like psion and sorceror. Although, you are right. It just seems to block them off from a lot of options that wouldn't be broken or would still make sense. I mean, alchemists can use wands for formulae they know, but it's impossible for alchemists to craft them themselves? sense does not make.
Goes a bit deeper IMO, as it essentially locks them out of a lot of PrCs, feats (other than item creation) and the such.

Worse yet, except for the entry in the Alchemist class and Master Chymist PrC there doesn't seem to be any sort of acknowledgement of the Alchemist "situation" and, with the official RAI going on, there might come to a point where due to simple confusion or designer disagreement Alchemists "are considered casters" but aren't by RAW, getting completely locked out of new options while not receiving any specific support.

It's not too far-fetched to think this might happen someday, everyone remembers the Duskblade.

Larpus
2011-11-04, 11:08 PM
Ok, breaking news!!-ish

First I think I found the quote from the creator:

Caster level, in such cases, is a shorter way of saying "the level of alchemist levels possessed by the person creating the effect." (http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/alchemistsAndItemCreationFeats&page=1#38)

Also, earlier in that thread it is mentioned an older quote from JJ (probably from playtest times) where he stated that Alchemists were "non-casting casters" and were experimental, even going further to say that they can't take Arcane Strike, Item Creation feats, etc. But he did say that there would be versions of said feats created for the Alchemist which didn't happen as it most probably was just going to be unnecessary complication.

So, from the newer quote, we get that yes, Alchemists are casters and that Alchemist level = CL and they can select caster feats and stuffs like normal, they just can't activate spell completion items without UMD (and apparently even after taking the feat, weird).

If that wasn't enough for you, here is more proof of that, I knew I read it somewhere, but since I couldn't remember/find where in hell, I kept my keyboard disconnected. They're both discovery descriptions that specifically mentions Alchemist's CL, which if it were nonexistent or zero the discoveries would make absolutely no sense.

The text comes from the SRD, with bolded bits added for bolded effect.
Tumor Familiar (Ex)

Benefit: The alchemist creates a Diminutive or Tiny tumor on his body, usually on his back or stomach. As a standard action, the alchemist can have the tumor detach itself from his body as a separate creature vaguely resembling a kind of animal suitable for a familiar (bat, cat, and so on) and move about as if it were an independent creature. The tumor can reattach itself to the alchemist as a standard action. The tumor has all the abilities of the animal it resembles (for example, a batlike tumor can fly) and familiar abilities based on the alchemist’s caster level (though some familiar abilities may be useless to an alchemist). The tumor acts as the alchemist’s familiar whether attached or separated (providing a skill bonus, the Alertness feat, and so on). When attached to the alchemist, the tumor has fast healing 5. An alchemist’s extracts and mutagens are considered spells for the purposes of familiar abilities like share spells and deliver touch spells. If a tumor familiar is lost or dies, it can be replaced 1 week later through a specialized procedure that costs 200 gp per alchemist level. The ritual takes 8 hours to complete.
Wings (Ex)
Prerequisite: Alchemist 6

Benefit: The alchemist gains bat-like, bird-like, or insect-like functional wings, allowing him to fly as the fly spell for a number of minutes per day equal to his caster level. These minutes do not need to be consecutive, but they must be spent in 1-minute increments.

Special: An alchemist can select this discovery multiple times; each time he does so, he adds his caster level to the number of minutes per day that he can fly with the wings. This flight is an extraordinary ability.

So either Alchemists are casters with CL and all or these two discoveries are completely worthless beyond salvation.

EDIT: Whoops, broken tags.

Psyren
2011-11-05, 01:22 AM
Alchemists have caster levels; nobody (well, at least not I) was denying this.

What they aren't are spellcasters.

Larpus
2011-11-05, 11:01 AM
Alchemists have caster levels; nobody (well, at least not I) was denying this.

What they aren't are spellcasters.
True, improper wording on my part.

Still, due to those two discoveries, Alchemists can get item creation feats and some others.

Psyren
2011-11-05, 11:15 AM
True, improper wording on my part.

Still, due to those two discoveries, Alchemists can get item creation feats and some others.

Yep. They just need the spells themselves; from a scroll, another caster etc.

(Except for potions of course.)