PDA

View Full Version : Tail Sweep

Angeal976
2011-10-31, 12:11 PM
I've been looking around in the books and stuff, and haven't been able to find anything that would give someone a tail sweep attack. I assume this means that a tail sweep attack is a pretty rare thing to have, and that only a few creatures have it? Is there a way to get one that I missed? Feat or class feature or something? A template maybe?

I know there is the Dragon Tail feat, which gives you a dragon tail and a tail attack, but not a tail sweep. There are feats in the Draconomicon that improve a tail sweep, but nothing that seems to give you a tail sweep.

Thanks in advance :smallbiggrin:

sirpercival
2011-10-31, 12:12 PM
The Dragon Tail soulmeld in Dragon Magic.

Angeal976
2011-10-31, 12:24 PM
Okay, cool. Thanks. I've never used Magic of Incarnum before, so I guess that's why I never thought of that. I guess that might be my only option, unless there are other ways?

Big Fau
2011-10-31, 12:37 PM
I think there's a Yuan-Ti graft in Serpent Kingdoms that gives you one.

Regardless, Polymorphing into a form that has a Tail Sweep attack gives it to you.

Person_Man
2011-10-31, 02:11 PM
Regardless, Polymorphing into a form that has a Tail Sweep attack gives it to you.

Or Wildshape, or or Alter Self (though that requires you be the same Type, and that your chosen form has 5 HD or less).

There's also a Feat in Draconomicon that provides for a tail sweep.

Though I'm not really sure why you would want it, as it's almost always a Standard Action, and thus a waste of time in most cases.

Angeal976
2011-10-31, 03:21 PM
Or Wildshape, or or Alter Self (though that requires you be the same Type, and that your chosen form has 5 HD or less).

There's also a Feat in Draconomicon that provides for a tail sweep.

Though I'm not really sure why you would want it, as it's almost always a Standard Action, and thus a waste of time in most cases.

Ah, that is a very good point. Full attacks are much better for this guy, so it may not be worth it I suppose.

In that case are there any other forms of natural attacks you guys know of? So far I have claws, a slam, a gore, a bite, and a tail. Anything else that's not too hard to get like those?

Tokuhara
2011-10-31, 03:29 PM
Ah, that is a very good point. Full attacks are much better for this guy, so it may not be worth it I suppose.

In that case are there any other forms of natural attacks you guys know of? So far I have claws, a slam, a gore, a bite, and a tail. Anything else that's not too hard to get like those?

Wing attack (Get Wings), Slam (dunno offhand), stinger (maybe a graft?)

Here's the thing: Natural Weapons truly become deadly in a souleater build. Every natural attack you make deals 1 negative level. Granted, you must be an evil non-humanoid, but if done right, even casters are afraid of you.

Edit: Here's the build I was thinking of: Whirling Eater of Souls (http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Whirling_Eater_of_Souls_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_ Build)). And note: when I said Casters, I meant non-Lich/Necropolitan/Half-Construct/Non Obscenely Cheesy spellcasters

Big Fau
2011-10-31, 03:29 PM

Tentacles can be obtained through a Graft in the Fiend Folio or in Lords of Madness. Likewise, there's a Graft that gets you a Wing Buffet attack.

Angeal976
2011-10-31, 04:52 PM
Wing attack (Get Wings), Slam (dunno offhand), stinger (maybe a graft?)

Here's the thing: Natural Weapons truly become deadly in a souleater build. Every natural attack you make deals 1 negative level. Granted, you must be an evil non-humanoid, but if done right, even casters are afraid of you.

Edit: Here's the build I was thinking of: Whirling Eater of Souls (http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Whirling_Eater_of_Souls_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_ Build)). And note: when I said Casters, I meant non-Lich/Necropolitan/Half-Construct/Non Obscenely Cheesy spellcasters

Well cool, I'm glad you suggest that, because that means I am on the right track. I actually already made sure to level into Soul Eater for that reason exactly. My natural attacks are pretty powerful, but yes this is what really makes them shine. I already have wings, but as far as I know I don't have a wing attack. Is there a way to get one?

Angeal976
2011-10-31, 04:53 PM
Tentacles can be obtained through a Graft in the Fiend Folio or in Lords of Madness. Likewise, there's a Graft that gets you a Wing Buffet attack.

Wing buffet attack sounds nice. What exactly is a graft though?:smallconfused:

sirpercival
2011-10-31, 05:05 PM
There are feats that get you tentacle attacks. Illithid heritage feats from Complete Psionic, and the Deepspawn feat from Lords of Madness gets your two.

Big Fau
2011-10-31, 06:05 PM
Wing buffet attack sounds nice. What exactly is a graft though?:smallconfused:

Have you ever watched Fullmetal Alchemist?

Or better yet, Repo: The Genetic Opera?

Angeal976
2011-10-31, 06:08 PM
Have you ever watched Fullmetal Alchemist?

Or better yet, Repo: The Genetic Opera?

I have never seen Repo: The Genetic Opera, and I've only seen like one or two episodes, and one of the movies of Fullmetal Alchemist, so I don't really know anything about it.

tyckspoon
2011-10-31, 06:36 PM
I have never seen Repo: The Genetic Opera, and I've only seen like one or two episodes, and one of the movies of Fullmetal Alchemist, so I don't really know anything about it.

Ed's arm and leg are good examples of grafts. Specifically, they'd probably be Warforged grafts. Grafts in general are a type of 'magic item' (for purposes of wealth tracking, mostly- they don't otherwise function much like items) composed of pieces of other creatures. They're surgically implanted to replace or augment part of the carrier's body with traits of the donor creature/type; so elemental grafts can get you natural armor/appropriate energy resistance/movement modes, aberration grafts give you tentacles/general weird crap, draconic grafts give you scales/a breath weapon/claws, and so on.

Tokuhara
2011-10-31, 06:43 PM
Ed's arm and leg are good examples of grafts. Specifically, they'd probably be Warforged grafts. Grafts in general are a type of 'magic item' (for purposes of wealth tracking, mostly- they don't otherwise function much like items) composed of pieces of other creatures. They're surgically implanted to replace or augment part of the carrier's body with traits of the donor creature/type; so elemental grafts can get you natural armor/appropriate energy resistance/movement modes, aberration grafts give you tentacles/general weird crap, draconic grafts give you scales/a breath weapon/claws, and so on.

However, too many grafts make you look weird.

Remember kids: Friends don't let friends get losta grafts...

Angeal976
2011-10-31, 07:51 PM
However, too many grafts make you look weird.

Remember kids: Friends don't let friends get losta grafts...

Hahaha, nice, and so true.

Well okay, I will check out these grafts then, thanks for the help everyone.:smallbiggrin: