PDA

View Full Version : The life of a pen

Haruki-kun
2011-10-31, 03:16 PM
I have come to the realization that it is a very seldom occurrence in my life to use up a whole pen or a pencil before losing it or accidentally throwing it away. The same thing goes for erasers, bottles of glue, glue sticks, liquid paper, etc. They all get lost first or else I lend them out to someone and never get them back.

In fact, I recall I was actually surprised one day when I did have a pen that had no ink anymore. Does this happen to anyone else? Have you ever used up a pen at all? Or have you never failed to use up a pen?

Whiffet
2011-10-31, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I've used up a few pens. It's upsetting to grab your favored pen and discover that it's out of ink. Kinda feels like you have a balloon and someone walked up and popped it.

On another note, I'd like to thank all the people who lose their pens. I have quite a few nice pens that came from the floor. :smallbiggrin:

Objection
2011-10-31, 03:39 PM
My pens used to run out of ink all the time. It's probably the main reason why I try to have as many pens as I can get my hands on.

ShortOne
2011-10-31, 03:59 PM
My pens either run out of ink or get lost. It's always sad when they run out of ink, though. By that point, I've written so much with them that there's some sentimentality related to them.

DeadManSleeping
2011-10-31, 04:11 PM
This thread makes me wonder if I could make a couple extra bucks on the side helping people host funerals for pens.

starwoof
2011-10-31, 04:19 PM
I hoard mechanical pencils and pens because I have no money and can't buy my own. Any pencil that gets dropped on the ground and not claimed becomes mine, then I defend them zealously. I still lose a few though. :smallfrown:

arguskos
2011-10-31, 06:44 PM
My favored pens run out of ink because I use them for years at a time. Actually, I have a blue pen that's running out and I'm sad about it. I've had it for years and just now is it running out. Sadly, it's not the kind that I can easily replace the ink in. I'm gonna miss that pen. :smallfrown:

Heliomance
2011-10-31, 06:51 PM
I use a fountain pen. When it runs out of ink, I just put a new cartridge in. *shrug*

Haruki-kun
2011-10-31, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I've used up a few pens. It's upsetting to grab your favored pen and discover that it's out of ink. Kinda feels like you have a balloon and someone walked up and popped it.

On another note, I'd like to thank all the people who lose their pens. I have quite a few nice pens that came from the floor. :smallbiggrin:

You are quite welcome. <.<

Weezer
2011-10-31, 06:58 PM
I use a fountain pen. When it runs out of ink, I just put a new cartridge in. *shrug*

I've considered buying a fountain pen, but the rate that I lose pens just makes it not worth it. I really like the feel of the few I've used, but alas 'tis not to be.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-31, 07:01 PM
I always lose my Frindles. I usually wind up looking on the ground for Frindles and adopt those. Said Frindles are usually out of ink though.

irenicObserver
2011-10-31, 07:05 PM

I keep finding pencils.

Whiffet
2011-10-31, 08:54 PM
I always lose my Frindles. I usually wind up looking on the ground for Frindles and adopt those. Said Frindles are usually out of ink though.

Heh, I remember reading that book. Now I'm feeling a little nostalgic.

I thought it was weird that I felt attachments to old pens! So I'm not the only one? Man, I love you guys. :smallbiggrin:

Cobalt
2011-10-31, 09:17 PM
I use a pen right down to the last drop of ink inside, and then try to devise some way to get the ink left on the sides of the cartridge to go down to the tip and use it, and then don't throw it out for like, a week. And I actually get pretty attached to pens I use, too. One pen I had two years ago I really liked. I adopted it from the cold ceramic of the floor, and used it for everything I wrote. Apparently, it was still full of ink. Don't remember the brand name. It had a wonderful side-to-side mechanism on it to bring the tip out, that I loved clicking back and forth when lost in thought, and it felt so fluid writing with. As I only write in pen, and only use one pen at a time, I do in fact get sentimental with them. But I guess I'm like that with most possessions.

I feel legitimately angry at people 'borrowing' pens from me and not giving them back. Unhealthy levels of anger. Like, I value that pen more than the person who asked me to use it. I still remember all the people who owe me pens. They'll never give me any pen back, and that's fine. I wouldn't want whatever new pen they'd give me, anyway. I want my old pens back. They had nearly-full cartridges of ink in them. The thieves. The thieves took 'em.

Pens are more than pens.

Raddish
2011-10-31, 09:20 PM
I use a fountain/cartridge pen and have done for around 9 years (well technically 2 different pens, I really miss my first one, it was the best and was stolen...) so I have run the pen out of ink many times.

I only use my pen because my handwriting is terrible with a normal ball point, felt-tip or gel pen. Must be something strange in how I hold it or something...

EDIT: My current pen is a Parker Pen my grandparents bought me specially so it's also quite important to me which is another reason I like to use it.

Siosilvar
2011-10-31, 09:30 PM

Wow, takes me back...
I used to use pencils. They'd wear down to dinky little nubs and/or break.
Then I switched to ballpoint pens. They kept drying out.
Then I switched to the Pilot rolling ballpoint pens. I ran a lot of those out of ink and decided they were too expensive to replace (they have replacement cartridges, but I can never find any).
And then I used 0.7mm lead* mechanical pencils. The lines on the paper were too big. (And I was using cheap ones, so I'd occasionally break them in half.)
Finally I switched to 0.5mm lead* mechanical pencils. They work fine for me, so long as I keep a separate eraser handy. I always wear down the erasers within the first day of switching them out.

I have never lost a pen or pencil before running it out of ink, breaking it, lending it out, or some combination of the three.

*Mostly graphite, but whatever.

factotum
2011-11-01, 02:35 AM
I don't usually lose pens, but I also have so many that they rarely run out! The pens I really like to use are the ones with interchangeable cores anyway, so you can get them working again without replacing the whole pen--don't like the cheap Bic style ones, only use them at work.

Runestar
2011-11-01, 07:23 AM
Just threw away 2 red pens the other day after writing them dry. But I must say they last a mighty long time, even in the hands of a teacher...:smallwink:

grimbold
2011-11-01, 08:35 AM
the only pens i really had that run out of ink with are ones i found and were already half used up
my my current favorite pen is* a 4 color jobbie and in the first 6 weeks of school i almost ran out of black :smalleek: so i am switching for a while to blue and probably will go green later on. (the red stays for red pen only functions). I use this pen every day at school and when it is all used up i will be very sad

*:smallwink:

Traab
2011-11-01, 01:10 PM
I buy a box of 60 bic cheapos for like 6 bucks, then cram them in my junk drawer. That usually keeps me settled for a year or three.

Haruki-kun
2011-11-01, 02:20 PM
Just threw away 2 red pens the other day after writing them dry. But I must say they last a mighty long time, even in the hands of a teacher...:smallwink:

I'm not a teacher and I have a tendency to lose pens. I will never use up a red pen. :smalltongue:

Nibleswick
2011-11-01, 04:13 PM
Fourteen years ago my father gave me a fountain pen pen for Christmas. I have been using it ever since, and I am rather attached to it.

Kneenibble
2011-11-01, 04:28 PM
Several people have mentioned fountain pens now. As a luxury fetishist, I'm interested in obtaining one. What is a good kind to buy? What ought I look for?

Heliomance
2011-11-01, 04:59 PM
I use a Lamy Safari, which is thoroughly practical, though not particularly elegant/pretty/luxury. It does its job though, and does it well.

factotum
2011-11-01, 05:02 PM
Several people have mentioned fountain pens now. As a luxury fetishist, I'm interested in obtaining one.

Just checking--you're not left-handed when writing, are you? I'd love to be able to use a fountain pen, but since my hand is always moving across the bit of text I've just written, they don't work very well for me; even with quick-drying ink I tend to get it all over the side of my hand.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-02, 11:45 AM
Just checking--you're not left-handed when writing, are you? I'd love to be able to use a fountain pen, but since my hand is always moving across the bit of text I've just written, they don't work very well for me; even with quick-drying ink I tend to get it all over the side of my hand.

Agreed, I've had this same problem any time I've used cartridge pens in the past (I have not had the opportunity to use any other type of fountain pen)...

Left-handedness does generally restrict me to rollerballs, gel pens etc. at best, simply because I don't want to write out complex smudges in place of words.

grimbold
2011-11-02, 11:51 AM
Agreed, I've had this same problem any time I've used cartridge pens in the past (I have not had the opportunity to use any other type of fountain pen)...

Left-handedness does generally restrict me to rollerballs, gel pens etc. at best, simply because I don't want to write out complex smudges in place of words.

this is a killer
i can't even write with marker half the time :smalleek:

Kneenibble
2011-11-02, 11:56 AM
I use a Lamy Safari, which is thoroughly practical, though not particularly elegant/pretty/luxury. It does its job though, and does it well.
I will investigate; thank you.

I am right-handed and you have my sympathy. On the other hand :smalltongue:, you could probably do some mean Arabic calligraphy.

Trog
2011-11-02, 08:48 PM
At home I have used up countless pens.

At work... hardly ever. Mainly because coworkers keep walking off with them. In the past year I've had 20 or more walk away. It's my pet peeve. :smallannoyed:

Lord Raziere
2011-11-02, 09:50 PM
Lord Raziere's

Pen Memorial

To all those pens and pencils I have used over the years and lost.

May you find new pieces of paper to scrawl upon, maybe you find some artist worthy of your pointy-inkedness, may you find a writer whom will use you to write down their ideas, in The Great Desk In the Sky.

Thank you Pens. For all your hard work in getting me through school. I never knew of any of you enough.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-03, 08:07 AM
At home I have used up countless pens.

At work... hardly ever. Mainly because coworkers keep walking off with them. In the past year I've had 20 or more walk away. It's my pet peeve. :smallannoyed:

I have to be pretty careful in my line of work about customers walking off with pens, so I've developed a habit of keeping them in my pocket when they're not in use- and making sure that I'm using my pens so that there's no problem with this (Not like I trust that there'll be a pen around at work when I need one anyway).

Tonal Architect
2011-11-03, 08:13 AM
It has just occured me that while I own dozens of pens, I've only bought four of them. The others have simply come into my possession. The four I've bought are two of those Staedtler triangular pens, and I've never been able to finish one.

Personally, I'm more into mechanical pencils. I don't even use rubber anymore, and just dash the words I want crossed out, although I still prefer them.

Actually, I just plainly hate pens. I'm not sure why.

MonkeyBusiness
2011-11-03, 03:03 PM
Kneeknibble, the Pike Place Market (http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/) in Seattle has an amazing guy who makes the barrels of fountain pens out of wood. Mine is bird's eye maple, and it is a pleasure to use. His name is Barry Pitt, and his number, according to the Market Directory, is: 206-463-9156.

I also own a ballpoint pen he made, in rosewood. I love it also.

I keep my nice pens at home, so I won't lose them. Fortravelling and going to school and work I enjoy a "Sharpie" fine point: it flows nicely; it is light; and the ink, while not fountain pen quality, has a similar quality: much nicer than felt-tips or ball-points.

Kneenibble
2011-11-03, 03:45 PM
Kneeknibble, the Pike Place Market (http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/) in Seattle has an amazing guy who makes the barrels of fountain pens out of wood. Mine is bird's eye maple, and it is a pleasure to use. His name is Barry Pitt, and his number, according to the Market Directory, is: 206-463-9156.

I also own a ballpoint pen he made, in rosewood. I love it also.

I keep my nice pens at home, so I won't lose them. Fortravelling and going to school and work I enjoy a "Sharpie" fine point: it flows nicely; it is light; and the ink, while not fountain pen quality, has a similar quality: much nicer than felt-tips or ball-points.

Once again you pop up with a stellar recommendation. I love the idea of an artisan-made wood fountain pen.

When you say rosewood, do you mean from a rose plant or the purple "rose"wood that comes from Madagascar? I know the latter is incredibly contentious environmentally but it's so pretty...

ForzaFiori
2011-11-03, 03:46 PM
I pick up Pentel EnerGel .5mm ball points at the Bookstore of my college. Absolutely love them. They write amazingly smooth, small enough lines for my tiny cursive writing, and they dry quick enough to keep me from getting ink all over my hand (yay left-handedness). Not to mention that for some reason, I don't lose them. Every other pen I've ever had I lost, and in the year and a half I've been at Clemson, I've run out 4 of the EnerGels, and never lost one.

Always a sad day when they start dying or finish dying though...

Also - in addition to office supplies, I have the same problem with lighters. I usually own 4 or 5 at a time, and can only find maybe 1 or 2. Thankfully, as I lose one, I can usually find a different one.

Winter_Wolf
2011-11-04, 01:05 PM
I seem to operate on the all-or-none principle. Either none of my pens run out of ink, or they all do on the same day. Really pens? Really? Do you all have a meeting the night beforehand? :smallannoyed:

But I am usually able to get several months' use out of them, and my favorite pen lasted me at least a full year. Except this one time when I bought Office Max's own brand pens in a three set, and Every. Single. Pen. failed right out of the box. Now I only buy pens from brands I trust. Uniball is mah brand, but this year work got some Bics that have been unusually pleasant to write with.

MonkeyBusiness
2011-11-04, 07:29 PM
Once again you pop up with a stellar recommendation. I love the idea of an artisan-made wood fountain pen.

When you say rosewood, do you mean from a rose plant or the purple "rose"wood that comes from Madagascar? I know the latter is incredibly contentious environmentally but it's so pretty...

Ah ... this is a complex question with both a simple and a complex answer. Because the complex answer involves going wildly off-topic and involves a lecture on the many differnt types of rosewood and alleged rosewood, I will stick with the simple(-ish) one:

I would never buy anything sketchy in terms of environmental impact. The rosewood that comes out of Madgascar is endangered and illegal.

There are sources for genuine rosewood that are environmentally sound, but these are often too small for making large items (such as furniture). However, for small ornamental items or tools (such as pens) the source is just right. Sometimes these sources are repurposed rosewood (from furniture that has been irreparably damaged). That's my preferred source: second-hand is always best, in my opinion.

I honestly do not recall the details of my pen ... although I remember asking about it, it's been many years and I don't remember the details. However, I trust the artisan and the Pike Place Market.

Also, you might like to know that Anne Fadiman (an author I quoted in another thread) wrote an essay about her favorite pen (and the whole phenomenon of favorite pens) in her collection Ex Libris. Well worth reading.

Ricky S
2011-11-10, 08:51 AM
My pens are awesome. I always buy generic bic pens. It literally took a year before my pen ran out. I used it everyday during highschool. So if you keep your pen on you it lasts almost forever. In fact if everyone was like me the pen companies would go out of business.

grimbold
2011-11-11, 06:56 AM
My pens are awesome. I always buy generic bic pens. It literally took a year before my pen ran out. I used it everyday during highschool. So if you keep your pen on you it lasts almost forever. In fact if everyone was like me the pen companies would go out of business.

well yeah
the man reason that you have to buy pens is that you lose them
not that they run out

Hazyshade
2011-11-12, 06:13 AM
Pen Karma. If your pen has run out of ink, or you've lost it, you will always be able to find another one that's been lost by someone else in turn - provided you accrue Pen Karma by buying at least one pen every year (or a 10-pack every 10 years, etc...)

grimbold
2011-11-12, 06:36 AM
Pen Karma. If your pen has run out of ink, or you've lost it, you will always be able to find another one that's been lost by someone else in turn - provided you accrue Pen Karma by buying at least one pen every year (or a 10-pack every 10 years, etc...)

Hazyshade is so right it blows mah mind

Raddish
2011-11-12, 12:02 PM
I bought about 50 pens of different types in my first 10 years of life so I am set until I am 50.

grimbold
2011-11-13, 06:52 AM
I bought about 50 pens of different types in my first 10 years of life so I am set until I am 50.

yay
have a cookie :smallsmile:

Anarion
2011-11-13, 02:37 PM
I've used up a fair number of pens. I have one in particular that is half regular size that I carry with a tiny (like 2"x3") pad of paper so that I can make notes no matter where I am. That pen might get a ceremony when it finally dies because I've had it for ~8 years now.

super dark33
2011-11-13, 03:23 PM
I have slain a great number of pens.
today anouter one was added to the list.
he was a great pen. lets honour him with 1.3 seconds of silence.
:smallbiggrin:

grimbold
2011-11-14, 03:23 PM
im concerned about my current favorite pen because the side is starting to crack
i don't know what will happen if he dies

Mando Knight
2011-11-14, 03:46 PM
I do mostly the same, though my pen is a Uni-Ball Signo. Compared to those dime-a-dozen stick ballpoints, it's expensive, but it writes smoothly and sits comfortably in my hand.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-15, 05:29 AM
Sometimes you get a nice cheap ballpoint pen that is leaky in just the right way that you can get these neat smeary and feathering effects.
While hell to write with, they are a lot of fun to draw with.

grimbold
2011-11-15, 03:12 PM
well i think i have officially lost the pen i used for the first 3 months of school and over 200 pages of notes

i will miss you