PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Let me move this around a bit... (Feat) (Metamagic) (PEACH)

DracoDei
2011-10-31, 03:40 PM
Transferable Spell [Meta-magic]
Benefits: A spell modified by this metamagic may be transferred by the caster from one willing target to another. Both the original target and the new one must be within the spell's range (after all modifications for other metamagic). This requires a full-round action (NOT the same thing as a casting time of "1 full round") by the caster unless the casting time is longer than that, in which it requires the spell's original casting time, plus an additional full-round action. In either case any (ranged-)touches required are subsumed into the casting time.
If the spell has multiple targets then each transfer only transfers it from ONE target to ONE other target.
In addition, when casting a spell with multiple but numerically limited targets (such as Cure Light Wounds, Mass but not Fireball), you may treat non-magical gemstones of at least 100 gp per spell level of the spell (after all metamagic modifications) as valid targets. The spell has no non-incidental effects on these additional foci, but they do serve as a reserve of spell energy that you may re-target to other willing targets (the gemstones are considered willing in this case). Incidental effects such as the spell being able to be dispelled, or showing up on Detect Magic occur as normal. Instantaneous effects are delayed for a number of minutes equal to your caster level (at which point they fade away) or until the magic is transferred to a valid, willing target.
A transferable spell takes up the same spell slot as it otherwise would.
Normal: Once a spell is cast, its target(s) generally do not change.

Especial Questions:

should the spell-slot modification be changed to "one higher"? ?"One higher if you can't cast spells of at least 2 levels higher yet (regardless of expended spell-slots/spells-per-day"?
If you have more targets than a targets, should this allow caster to "save" target-charges for later use? Would that get abusive with Mass Cure Critical Wounds, Invisibility, Mass, or Heal, Mass?
How can I word this so it works correctly with use-activated magic items?
No prerequisites is consistent with the SRD format, but I wouldn't say no to putting "caster level one" or if it is a +1 slot thing at least some of the time then "ability to cast spells of at least two different levels).
By any small chance should this be a spell (cf Dispel Magic) rather than a feat?

EDIT: Powered this up slightly by allowing gemstones to be used as reserves in case of dispelling, or to make Cure X Wounds, Mass spells more effective for out of battle healing. This may actually be the major use of this metamagic now, but I am hardly worried about powering up heal-bot clerics.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-31, 04:13 PM
So... ah... the main point is to be able to transfer buffs with a range of "personal" to other allies, right?

DracoDei
2011-11-01, 12:16 AM
So... ah... the main point is to be able to transfer buffs with a range of "personal" to other allies, right?
Good gravy no! That would be hilariously overpowered for a +0 metamagic feat. I will fix that loophole (if necessary, the wording may prevent that already, but probably not) when I am more awake.

The idea is that a lot of buffs are single-target and sometimes situations change as to who would benefit the most from them. Or if one person gets a critical-for-them buff dispelled and it isn't so critical for someone else (if you persisted a Haste and the meat-shield or rogue got it dispelled you could give them yours since it doesn't help you nearly as much*).

SamBurke
2011-11-01, 12:36 AM
Good gravy no! That would be hilariously overpowered for a +0 metamagic feat. I will fix that loophole (if necessary, the wording may prevent that already, but probably not) when I am more awake.

The idea is that a lot of buffs are single-target and sometimes situations change as to who would benefit the most from them. Or if one person gets a critical-for-them buff dispelled and it isn't so critical for someone else (if you persisted a Haste and the meat-shield or rogue got it dispelled you could give them yours since it doesn't help you nearly as much*).

Why on earth would a mighty wizard do such? The fighter deserves it! So help him, he's stupid enough to be a fighter, walking up in the front lines. He deserves to get screwed like that every time possible. I'm not giving such a character my hard-earned Haste! :small wink:

In all seriousness, I don't think that too many people would use it... however, I am making a buff-o-mancer, so it might work.

DracoDei
2011-11-03, 02:59 PM
After review, it turns out that I already prevented that, via the range limitation. Going to go ahead and add in the ability to target gemstones as focii to have reserves of multi-target spells.

EDIT: Done, although I am not sure about the duration that instantaneous, multi-target spells can be stored. I should perhaps also require at least one or two "real" targets for the storing effect to work, but...