PDA

View Full Version : Character Deoptimization Challenge: Illiteracy

Wings of Peace
2011-10-31, 04:41 PM
Those of you who used to go on the 339 forums may remember this challenge. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make an Illumian who is completely illiterate by RAW.

Killing the Illumian does not count, stabbing it's eyes out at creation does not count (because it's already Illumian at that point and therefore literate!), Polymorphing even PaO also does not count as proper dispelling would restore literacy.

Hazzardevil
2011-10-31, 04:49 PM
Hmm, difficult.
So, start as an Illumian and then take a level of barbarian. That isn't enough, but it helps make sense for being illiterate.
The only way I can think of is being permanently changed into a neanderthal, i believe there's an expensive ritual in savage species that accomplishes this.

sirpercival
2011-10-31, 04:54 PM
Can't you just take the "No Time for Book Learning" flaw from dragon #324?

Wings of Peace
2011-10-31, 04:59 PM
Can't you just take the "No Time for Book Learning" flaw from dragon #324?

Superior Literacy: Illumians are always literate, regardless of their character class. Speak Language is always a class skill for Illumians, regardless of class.

Because of the comma after "literate" I think Superior literacy would automatically override the flaw. Even if it didn't, Speak Language is still a class skill.

sirpercival
2011-10-31, 05:02 PM
No Time for Book Learning

You put no faith in the written word.

Effect: You are illiterate. You can never learn to read any language, and you suffer a -2 penalty on all Knowledge checks except Knowledge (nature).

You pick flaws after you pick your race, and anyway you can choose the order you apply things. I apply the flaw after the racial trait.

The Boz
2011-10-31, 05:04 PM
You pick flaws after you pick your race, and anyway you can choose the order you apply things. I apply the flaw after the racial trait.

The DM throws a book at you.

sirpercival
2011-10-31, 05:07 PM
This is a deoptimization challenge. Are you really going there?

Fax Celestis
2011-10-31, 05:09 PM
The illumian takes the Illiterate trait (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#illiterate), gaining a +1 bonus on Forgery checks. He also goes through the ritual of rebirth, becoming a dragonborn illumian. Since Superior Literacy is not a racial trait specifically called out as one retained, the illumian loses it.

He then takes levels in Barbarian, buys a permanent enlarge person or polymorph into something Large or larger, and goes into War Hulk, thereby removing any ranks he may have in Speak Language or Decipher Script. Since the Illiteracy trait does not have a buy-off clause, taking levels in War Hulk does not nullify it. He then takes War Hulk through its entirety before hopping back to Barbarian or possibly Totemist if he feels adventurous. Take to ECL 20, chill over ice, serve.

Wings of Peace
2011-10-31, 05:12 PM

Changing the order doesn't necessarily change the effect though. If anything it seems that Superior Literacy would give you immunity to No Time For Book Learning.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-31, 05:15 PM
Updated my last post. I don't think he gets literacy now.

sirpercival
2011-10-31, 05:16 PM
Why would one have precedence over the other? The trait says "regardless of class feature." The flaw isn't a class feature.

marcielle
2011-10-31, 05:36 PM
Fax, I think you just wont this thread. However, think about this for a sec, the Dragonborn ritual somehow makes you FORGET HOW TO READ. Gotta love RAW.

Treblain
2011-10-31, 06:41 PM
Man, I was just about to suggest Dragonborn after reading the first few posts. Well done.

Heliomance
2011-10-31, 07:11 PM
Doesn't the Illiteracy trait do it by itself?

marcielle
2011-10-31, 07:27 PM
Racial ability of Illumians is that they are always literate despite character class. It says NOTHING about flaws (flaws are not core, they are a splatbook thing) because most splatbooks are self contained. This is shaky ground. However, Dragonborning ritual completely removes the racial feature, no questions asked, THEN allowing the illumian to become illeterate.

Glimbur
2011-10-31, 07:30 PM
Racial ability of Illumians is that they are always literate despite character class. It says NOTHING about flaws (flaws are not core, they are a splatbook thing) because most splatbooks are self contained. This is shaky cround. However, Dragonborning ritual completely removes the racial feature, no questions asked, THEN allowing the illumian to become illeterate.

This does raise the question of if the Illumian is still an Illumian. Philosophy and char op are closer than some realize.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-31, 08:15 PM
Racial ability of Illumians is that they are always literate despite character class. It says NOTHING about flaws (flaws are not core, they are a splatbook thing) because most splatbooks are self contained. This is shaky ground. However, Dragonborning ritual completely removes the racial feature, no questions asked, THEN allowing the illumian to become illeterate.

The trait also allows one to preclude the use of Speak Language or Decipher Script, since it allows access to War Hulk and it's No Time To Think ability.

Psyren
2011-10-31, 08:46 PM
Shortest challenge ever?

I see nothing wrong with sirpercival's approach either.

sirpercival
2011-11-01, 04:09 AM
Shortest challenge ever?

I see nothing wrong with sirpercival's approach either.

Thank you!

marcielle
2011-11-01, 04:50 AM
NEW CHALLENGE! Make it so a human(no halves or variant, core only) CAN NEVER LEARN TO READ. Being blind doesn't count.

sirpercival
2011-11-01, 07:35 AM
So... my solution doesn't work in that case?

Human Paragon 3
2011-11-01, 07:56 AM
Or you could just be this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd0erNx6rWw).

Apologies for bad video quality.

SaintRidley
2011-11-01, 08:34 AM
NEW CHALLENGE! Make it so a human(no halves or variant, core only) CAN NEVER LEARN TO READ. Being blind doesn't count.

Human barbarian. Dump Int. Get int drain of an irreversible nature to 2 or 1.

Alternately, kill the human barbarian and destroy its soul.

Psyren
2011-11-01, 08:49 AM
If you're going to disallow Dragon material then say so, but I think ignoring sirpercival is just rude. :smallsigh: