PDA

View Full Version : Linking to GiantITP Images

Huanir
2011-10-31, 06:36 PM
The Homestuck forums have opened up a new subforum for general webcomic discussion, and as OOTS is not represented there, I thought I'd take a crack at it. I'm hoping to link to the first comic and use the following image as the link:

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/comics/oots/Comics_OOTS_Pic001.gif

Is there any problem with my using the giantitp.com-hosted image, or should I seek an alternative?

The Dark Fiddler
2011-10-31, 07:32 PM
You'd be using up this site's bandwidth comes to mind immediately. Rich might also see it as violating his copyright (but I'm less sure on that).

Haruki-kun
2011-10-31, 07:45 PM
There's some Linking Banners (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/LinkBanners.html) for this sort of thing in the FAQs. Not sure if they're outdated or if Rich still wants people to use those, though.

NerfTW
2011-10-31, 07:56 PM
You should link to the actual comic html page in question, not the image itself.

The reason being that otherwise, people are just seeing the image. They can't check the previous and next comics, browse the archives, see the shop button, or the news page. (Which while not major on this comic, is an issue with others)

Frankly, NEVER HOTLINK (Linking directly to) AN IMAGE UNLESS YOU ARE THE OWNER OF IT.

It's a good rule of thumb for making sure you're not stepping on toes.

Huanir
2011-10-31, 08:01 PM
You should link to the actual comic html page in question, not the image itself.

The reason being that otherwise, people are just seeing the image. They can't check the previous and next comics, browse the archives, see the shop button, or the news page. (Which while not major on this comic, is an issue with others)

Frankly, NEVER HOTLINK (Linking directly to) AN IMAGE UNLESS YOU ARE THE OWNER OF IT.

It's a good rule of thumb for making sure you're not stepping on toes.

Right, the plan was to link to the html page, and the image was going to be the link. I know that hotlinking is frowned upon, hence my asking permission. If the linking images on the page that Haruki-kun are still allowed to be used (?), I'll use them. If I'm allowed to copy this image to an image-hosting site without violating Rich's rights to the image, I'll do that. If I can't do any of this, a simple URL will suffice. Thanks for the tips.

Roland St. Jude
2011-10-31, 08:27 PM
Sheriff: Rich can post through the lock if this has changed, but I would say, please use one of the banner images or simple text link to link to the actual comic page here.

Please do not rehost the comic image elsewhere and post it or hotlink it.