PDA

View Full Version : How to deal infinite damage

gooddragon1
2011-10-31, 08:57 PM
To everything within infinite range (line of effect), with SR of less than infinity, and that doesn't have immunity to force damage.

Necropolitan Troll (or some other way of being undead and having regeneration (I think there's a feat that does it which would be perfect for this)). At least 7th level cosmic descryer and at least 7 levels of wizard.

Regeneration turns all damage except fire and acid into nonlethal. Undead are immune to nonlethal damage (there are undead with regeneration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#atropal)). Take 5 damage infinite times to increase your caster level to infinity for the purpose of one spell. Cast force missile. Designate an infinite number of missiles to every target everywhere. Make a strength check to lift the planet you are on while playing the He-Man intro. ???. Profit?

EDIT: If the DM doesn't buy that one, just use delay death and the drowning trick.

Or the shapechange into a stone golem/transmute mud to rock to heal all your HP trick. (Need diehard too)

The Boz
2011-10-31, 09:04 PM
1d2 Crusader

gooddragon1
2011-10-31, 09:05 PM
1d2 Crusader

DR. Limited range. Not as many targets. Not nearly as cool as a macross missile massacre.

I have decided against listing the forbidden site to prevent the innocent from falling victim to it.

Private-Prinny
2011-10-31, 09:07 PM
FORCE MISSILES
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: Up to four creatures, no two
of which are more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

You can shoot an arbitrarily high number of missiles at four people, and no more. I say arbitrarily high because without a loop of some sort, you can only choose a finite amount of damage to take from Cosmic Descryer.

gallagher
2011-10-31, 09:10 PM
well, due to the fact that it is infinite, it must be immeasurable. if it is immeasurable, the damage cannot be shown in terms of hitpoints.

thus, if damage can not be measured in hitpoints, can you really deduct them from a sum that is defined by hitpoints without giving some formula for conversion?

Psyren
2011-10-31, 09:10 PM
Psion or Erudite + Mad Minute (see tricks handbook in sig.) GG.

PotatoNinja
2011-10-31, 09:15 PM
I have decided against listing the forbidden site to prevent the innocent from falling victim to it.

it's ok, the cool kids already knew what this was.:smallbiggrin:

dextercorvia
2011-10-31, 09:16 PM
Necropolitan Troll doesn't work. A creature must have a Con score to have Regeneration. The existence of a specific counterexample does not invalidate the general rule.

Gorgondantess
2011-10-31, 09:17 PM
Yes, undead can have regeneration... but if you have regeneration, and then become something without a Con score, it becomes fast healing. You have to become immune to NL damage without losing your Con score. Which isn't THAT hard, really.

EDIT: Rats, Swordsage'd.

dextercorvia
2011-10-31, 09:22 PM
After I posted, I remembered that ELH was 3.0 anyway, so the examples from that book are not the best thing to base your build on.

gooddragon1
2011-10-31, 10:06 PM
Alternatively, for pre epic:
Step 1.
2 castings of PaO. 1 into something with infinite ability scores. The other into what you polymorphed into with the first PaO.

Step 2.
Unarmed strike at a -4 penalty for lethal damage.

Step 2a. In case of antimagic field
Pick up a rock

Step 2b.
Throw rock

dextercorvia
2011-11-01, 09:49 AM
Alternatively, for pre epic:
Step 1.
2 castings of PaO. 1 into something with infinite ability scores. The other into what you polymorphed into with the first PaO.

Step 2.
Unarmed strike at a -4 penalty for lethal damage.

Step 2a. In case of antimagic field
Pick up a rock

Step 2b.
Throw rock

And what creature has infinite ability scores? You are just passing the buck, ie. saying 'you can do infinite damage if you have infinite strength'. Even Pun Pun doesn't sport infinite ability scores.

gooddragon1
2011-11-01, 11:38 AM
And what creature has infinite ability scores? You are just passing the buck, ie. saying 'you can do infinite damage if you have infinite strength'. Even Pun Pun doesn't sport infinite ability scores.

Anything with an entry of:
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Medium)

If it has an advanced version you can theoretically advance it further than that. Just say it's a very advanced version of the monster in particular.

Psyren
2011-11-01, 11:52 AM
Or Cancer Mage/Hulking Hurler shenanigans

dextercorvia
2011-11-01, 01:19 PM
Anything with an entry of:

If it has an advanced version you can theoretically advance it further than that. Just say it's a very advanced version of the monster in particular.

To my knowledge, no creature has actually infinite stats. You can make them arbitrarily high, but it will always be a number.

Private-Prinny
2011-11-01, 01:41 PM

That Cancer Mage ability is so vaguely worded I'm surprised people even started taking this "trick" seriously in the first place.

Mockingbird
2011-11-01, 01:46 PM
Cast Bubble on the opponent's head, then cast acid splash or create water inside the bubble. Only works on one target, but they'll be drowning in acid or water. :D

Xtomjames
2011-11-01, 01:52 PM
Yeah, thus far none of these are legal or get you "infinite" damage. However I can get you pretty close.

So, playing a Divine Rank 1 19th level character (I suggest Arcane Swordsage) with Cha maxed out (at least 29th level) you can use Alter Reality for your Salient Divine Ability. You also gain access to all metamagic feats, and there is no limit on the number of them that you can stack since you don't use spell slots but rather have to rest after their usage with a spell. I suggest being Evil for this character. See Spoiler for the rest of how to get huge amounts of damage.

Uber Damage
Spell fusion: Lesser Orb of Acid (1d6/level-> 9d6)
Metamagic applied: Energy Substitution-> force
Braid spell + Twin Spell + Dual Spell (base spell X 16)
Heighten Spell (goes from level 1 to level 9)
Elemental Lattice (ES-> force) 9d8 + Acid Lattice (ES-> Force) 9d6 + Lightning Lattice (ES-> force) 9d6 + Thunder Lattice (ES-> force) 9d6 + Unholy Lattice 9d8 (targeted creature(s) that are good take -2 on saving throws against this spell) + Ice Lattice (ES-> force) 9d6 + Chaos Lattice 9d8 (-2 to lawful creatures) (72 dice base)
Empower + Enervate + Exaggerate: multiply total damage dice by 1.5 two times, +3 targets, +3 damage/die. (162 after EEE base) after total spell multipliers (162*16) 2592 total dice of damage which through exaggerate grants a bonus of 7776 damage in first casting.
Base Damage: (27d8 + 30d6)*1.5*1.5=> 61d8+67d6=>590, after all multipliers (890*16)=14240
Maximize + Corrupt + Violate + Forceful + Quicken Spell (Half the damage is negative energy, half vile, all forceful)
Repeat Spell + Echo Spell*
Initial round damage=22016 vile unholy force damage. Forceful metamagic feat causes the affected creature to be knocked prone if failing the DC of the spell (29).
Repeat spell recasts the spell in whole automatically (including all applied metamagic feats), Echo spell stores a recasting of the entire spell to be recast later without usage of a higher spell level.
Total damage from one casting is 44032, each casting grants two echoes of the spell. Each echo cast grants two new echoes.
Initial usage’s total rounds to rest 8 mins. There after none for all subsequent uses through Echo Spell. Because the spell is quickened it is a free action to cast with the Echo spell.

Psyren
2011-11-01, 01:52 PM
To my knowledge, no creature has actually infinite stats. You can make them arbitrarily high, but it will always be a number.

It's shorthand. It may annoy pedants, but... actually, I don't have a but there, I enjoy doing that. :smallwink:

dextercorvia
2011-11-01, 02:17 PM
It's shorthand. It may annoy pedants, but... actually, I don't have a but there, I enjoy doing that. :smallwink:

I don't mind, but he needs infinite strength to do infinite damage by that tactic, and I don't believe that is actually possible.

Since it is actually possible to deal infinite damage through other methods, I think the distinction is warranted.

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 02:20 PM
Even Pun Pun has finite ability scores. He has better things to do than spend all of eternity increasing his ability scores

dextercorvia
2011-11-01, 02:31 PM
Even Pun Pun has finite ability scores. He has better things to do than spend all of eternity increasing his ability scores

I wonder if anyone has said that yet. :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2011-11-01, 02:37 PM
I don't mind, but he needs infinite strength to do infinite damage by that tactic, and I don't believe that is actually possible.

Since it is actually possible to deal infinite damage through other methods, I think the distinction is warranted.

By the definition of "infinite" that you're using, no it isn't - it's always going to be a measurable number at some iteration of the cycle, even if the cycle itself can theoretically go on forever.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-11-01, 06:18 PM
And what, pray tell, will you be needing this 'infinite' damage for?

dextercorvia
2011-11-01, 06:44 PM
By the definition of "infinite" that you're using, no it isn't - it's always going to be a measurable number at some iteration of the cycle, even if the cycle itself can theoretically go on forever.

The d2 crusader deals infinite damage over the course of the round. The 'rolling' might take forever on the part of the player, but from an ingame perspective, the attack takes 6 seconds or less.

faceroll
2011-11-01, 07:01 PM
Any old sarrukh can be doing infinite damage. It just gives itself ability "you do damage to target creature. all of it."

KillianHawkeye
2011-11-01, 07:21 PM
Yes, undead can have regeneration... but if you have regeneration, and then become something without a Con score, it becomes fast healing. You have to become immune to NL damage without losing your Con score. Which isn't THAT hard, really.

Um, no. Regeneration does not convert itself to Fast Healing just because you lose your Con score. You just lose it. They are similar, but unrelated, abilities.

Psyren
2011-11-01, 07:50 PM
The d2 crusader deals infinite damage over the course of the round. The 'rolling' might take forever on the part of the player, but from an ingame perspective, the attack takes 6 seconds or less.

And at any time during those 6 seconds or less someone else can take an immediate action. There are therefore discrete intervals of sub-time and the rolls at that moment can be measured.

tyckspoon
2011-11-01, 08:31 PM
Any old sarrukh can be doing infinite damage. It just gives itself ability "you do damage to target creature. all of it."

Sarrukhs themselves cannot be altered by Modify Form. It's the main reason Pun-Pun needs a reliable helper. (Although if you're running with the 'Modify Form can make up new abilities' thing, any given Sarrukh with a psicrystal/familiar/dominated assistant could kick it off; give the assistant Modify Form, have it give it back to you with the Sarrukh restrictions taken out, and ascend from there.)

Aegis013
2011-11-01, 08:42 PM
Doesn't the Omnificer use a technical infinite damage loop? It's done to himself and doesn't kill anything via the damage, but it IS infinite damage. Right?

dextercorvia
2011-11-01, 09:05 PM
And at any time during those 6 seconds or less someone else can take an immediate action. There are therefore discrete intervals of sub-time and the rolls at that moment can be measured.

There is no immediate action that interrupts the damage roll process. It either happens or it doesn't.

Kavurcen
2011-11-01, 09:06 PM
A combination of eldritch claws and beast strike can accomplish this depending on how its interpreted. Not sure if I remember it entirely but superior unarmed strike may be necessary.

Psyren
2011-11-01, 09:18 PM
There is no immediate action that interrupts the damage roll process. It either happens or it doesn't.

Free actions "don't take any time at all" "Immediate actions can be taken whenever you would take a free action, even on someone else's turn. They therefore can be taken at any time at all and take no time to perform.

Silly wording perhaps, but then so are 1d2 crusaders. *shrug*

dextercorvia
2011-11-01, 09:32 PM
Free actions "don't take any time at all" "Immediate actions can be taken whenever you would take a free action, even on someone else's turn. They therefore can be taken at any time at all and take no time to perform.

Silly wording perhaps, but then so are 1d2 crusaders. *shrug*

Are you arguing that an immediate action can interrupt between the rolling of the two d6's from a greatsword swing?

Jack_Simth
2011-11-01, 09:36 PM
Psion or Erudite + Mad Minute (see tricks handbook in sig.) GG.You combine:
1: Mad Minute
2: The Psionic Dreadnought

Psionic Dreadnought gives you infinite power points, limited by your actions.
Mad Minute gives you infinite actions, limited by your power points.

If you have enough Psion-3 followers inside your affinity field, pushing Bestow Power at you, you have both infinite power points and infinite actions. You can now blast everything within range of your longest-range direct-damage power until it's gone.

Now all you need to do is find a line-of-sight range direct-damage power....

Psyren
2011-11-01, 09:46 PM
Actually, Mad Minute also gives you unlimited PP; you just have to add a recharge phase in every few iterations, preferably using a Torc or Earth Power.

I didn't use Dreadnought because it requires cohorts, but [if you have them, the mental image of reigning destruction from inside an impenetrable force sphere is a frightening one to behold.

Tael
2011-11-01, 09:51 PM
What is Cosmic Descryer from?

faceroll
2011-11-01, 09:56 PM
Epic level handbook. It's a 7th level ability of a PRC that you enter with 24 ranks in something.

Tael
2011-11-01, 09:58 PM
Ah, Epic, of course. Nothing interesting here then.

Psyren
2011-11-01, 10:05 PM
Are you arguing that an immediate action can interrupt between the rolling of the two d6's from a greatsword swing?

By RAW, yes.

If it weren't possible for anything to happen during damage rolls, 1d2 crusader - and indeed, every "reroll if X" ability - wouldn't work to begin with.

dextercorvia
2011-11-02, 07:56 AM
By RAW, yes.

If it weren't possible for anything to happen during damage rolls, 1d2 crusader - and indeed, every "reroll if X" ability - wouldn't work to begin with.

Perhaps, but if you interrupt the rolling process, then none of the damage has been applied yet. You can't get a partial damage roll.