PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Vampire Hunter build 3.XP

Tokuhara
2011-10-31, 10:07 PM
So after the Illithid Thread (a moment of my life I'd like to forget. The sooner the better), I am at a build thought that popped into my head as a decently good build on a fluff and crunch aspect.

I want to play a Dhampir Inquisitor.

The fluff behind it is that I want to keep the Vampire population in check, making sure they don't kill more than they need to survive. My plan is to kill the more vicious of the Vampire population (the ones who kill more than what they need to live, aka the ones who create spawn willy-nilly)

He belives he is best-suited to do so because he is one of their kin. He doesn't want the vampires extinct, since they serve a purpose in the world. Vampires keep the World Population in check (excluding adventurers and other monsters who serve this purpose). Thus, he serves Kas, the Vestige of Vecna's Right Hand like a god.

So here's my questions:

1) Is the race/class combination good overall? Dhampir's +2 Dexterity and Charisma are benefits to Inquisitor, which is little more than a Divine Rogue (yes, there is more to it than that, but in its essence, Inquisitor is a Divine-blessed Rogue)

2) What kinds of PrCs should I take? I lack full casting, so what casting I get is a good thing to keep relatively high.

3) Feat choices. I want to be an expert in hunting vampires (specifically). Sure, being able to hunt other undead is nice, but as Vampire-kin, hunting Vampires who are too dangerous is his forte. I also don't know what fighting style choice would be best for a classic Vampire hunter.

Books allowed:
Anything from 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder/Dragon Magazine

Starting level:
We will be going appx from 5-20, then a timeskip to 100th level (cosmic campaign)

Starting Equipment:
We start with the Starting Goldx5

Special Thanks:
All members of the Playground who are able to overlook my shortcomings and are willing to work with a player who simply wants to be viable in a relatively high-optimization party

Edit: Just found the Vampire Hunter Archetype, which makes my life MUCH easier

Tokuhara
2011-10-31, 11:11 PM
Anybody? It's starting to feel like a B-Grade Slasher here on the Forums...

Happy Halloween y'all!

Zaq
2011-11-01, 12:12 AM
Whips.

Also daggers (thrown), axes (thrown at an arc), maybe some holy water (thrown), boomerangs shaped like crosses (thrown), and if you can swing it, a Time Stop.

Mostly whips, though.

I have nothing useful to add at the moment. Carry on.

The-Mage-King
2011-11-01, 12:16 AM
Whips.

Also daggers (thrown), axes (thrown at an arc), maybe some holy water (thrown), boomerangs shaped like crosses (thrown), and if you can swing it, a Time Stop.

Mostly whips, though.

I have nothing useful to add at the moment. Carry on.

Yes.

Oh. And a Spiked Chain.

And start most conversations with vampires using "DIE, MONSTER! You don't belong in this world!"

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 12:21 AM
I don't have proficient with whips... And besides, he's not a sad Belmont clone... He's much like if Blade was more in-tune with his Vampire side, yet hunts vampires. I was thinking either dual-weilding or something along those lines. He should be designed to kick some suck-head butt, not be a Belmont rip off.

Zaq
2011-11-01, 12:56 AM
Oh, I missed the fact that you were part vampire. So you're Alucard, not Simon. Got it. ALL VAMPIRE HUNTERS COME FROM CASTLEVANIA. SEARCH YOUR FEELINGS; YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE.

Um, anyway, in terms of being more helpful . . . immunity to mind-affecting stuff will help, the ability to harm or contain something that can go into mist form will help, and immunity to negative levels can only be a good thing. How easily can you get your hands on those, and what kind of resources are you willing to devote to doing so?

The-Mage-King
2011-11-01, 01:10 AM
Oh. Then buy some guns.

And get regeneration. Definitely. Very good regen, too.

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 01:23 AM
Oh, I missed the fact that you were part vampire. So you're Alucard, not Simon. Got it. ALL VAMPIRE HUNTERS COME FROM CASTLEVANIA. SEARCH YOUR FEELINGS; YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE.

Um, anyway, in terms of being more helpful . . . immunity to mind-affecting stuff will help, the ability to harm or contain something that can go into mist form will help, and immunity to negative levels can only be a good thing. How easily can you get your hands on those, and what kind of resources are you willing to devote to doing so?

I can put as much or as little into it as necessary. And no, he isn't an Alucard rip off. Think more like a cross between D, Blade, and Alucard (Hellsing Version), but with medeval weapons. And guns are explicitly banned.

Wavelab
2011-11-01, 02:02 AM
I'd suggest a crossbow build, since a vampire's are pretty close ranged. Energy drain slams, blood draining grapples. Domination gaze with 60 ft range IIRC.

So a crossbow with profane burst and a lot of silver bolt and holy bolts. Also take a lot of crossbow orientated feats.

Btw I am an undead freak so I know how to play undead especially vampires.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-11-01, 02:40 AM
yeah... screw crossbows.

However, Inquisitors do make EPIC archers. the only sad side is that the 3/4 BAB slows down the rate at which you can get those delicious archery feats.

basically, the usual suspects:

Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Many Shot, Deadly Aim.

For once dont worry about deadly aim as much, your Bane ability + Judgements + multiple arrows will give you the extra damage you need until you get Deadly Aim.

Wear a mithril breastplate ASAP, and get a buckler if you want. under pathfinder rules, you can use a buckler while using a bow with no penalty. whatever.

Get a Rod of Quicken, and use however many castings of Magic Vestments and Greater Magic Weapon you need to last the whole day, and cast on your Mithril Breastplate and Composite Longbow. You no longer need to buy magic armor/weapons.
(except for +1 whatever whatever whatever later)

Use the rest of your money on your bow, various DR piercing arrows, and stat boosting items. Remember, you need a decent STR to get the most out of that Bow, and just enough DEX to max out the Mithril Breastplate.

Take the Travel Domain. Really. It lends itself well to an archer.

For your Teamwork Feats... there's only a couple that a good for archers, so whatever. I can't remember what they are.

Anyway, you'll end up as a brutal monster/undead slayer. I made this character just after the APG came out, so there may be more/better options now. This guy was in a party with my friend's archer Paladin. The damage we could produce in a round was fairly impressive, as far as martial classes go. IF I find the sheet i'll post more details about it.

EDIT: found it:Level 8 Inquisitor.. for teamwork feats I took Duck and Cover, and Swap Places. with my Judgements (2 at a time, 3/day) I had +2 to hit, +3 damage, with Bane (1 round /level) +2 attack and +2d6+2 damage.

with Deadly Aim and Rapid Shot (didnt have manyshot yet) my to hit and damage with everything going at once was +13/+13/+8 (+6 BAB, +5 DEX, +2 Bow, +2 judgement, +2 Bane, -2 rapid shot, -2 Deadly Aim) for 1d8+2d6+14 damage per arrow. An average of 25.5 damage/arrow. Not too shabby for level 8.

Character had HP of 60, AC of 25, Initiative +8, FORT 11, REF 10 and WILL 12.

Definitely fun, im sure someone else could optimize it further. If you want, I can send you/post a full breakdown of the character.

Wavelab
2011-11-01, 03:24 AM
I only said crossbow because it was very close to Alucard's gun. But yeah bows would probably work better.

Try to get an energy bow(somewhere on WOTC site, google it maybe?) And you won't have to worry about DR again. The only problem will be a force dragon but I hardly believe you'll be fighting one.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-11-01, 03:28 AM
I only said crossbow because it was very close to Alucard's gun. But yeah bows would probably work better.

Try to get an energy bow(somewhere on WOTC site, google it maybe?) And you won't have to worry about DR again. The only problem will be a force dragon but I hardly believe you'll be fighting one.

Bows always work better. you get STR to damage, and don't have to use a feat on Rapid Reload.

An Energy Bow isn't a half bad idea (I think you are talking about the one Hank used in the D&D cartoon). However, we were playing Pathfinder pure, so I was just posting my build.

Wavelab
2011-11-01, 03:39 AM
That's the one.

It also allows power shot(power attack for the bow) It's perfect.

*.*.*.*
2011-11-01, 05:33 AM
Starting level:
We will be going appx from 5-20, then a timeskip to 100th level (cosmic campaign)

http://chanarchive.org/content/61_tv/9477903/1274680331041.png

cagemarrow
2011-11-01, 05:54 AM
Do you have sunlight vulnerability? If not then sun devotion to make you weapon glow with true sunlight is rediculously powerful when hunting vamps. If it doesn't destroy them outright its at least an aura of vampires can't take actions within the light. Fuel it with turning attempts for better effect than normal turning, since most vamps have turn resistance.

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 06:18 AM
My apologies, but what sort of sissy fights vampires from a distance? Real vampire hunters kick their sorry butts in their own game. Again, include D & Blade into consideration.

Wavelab
2011-11-01, 06:40 AM
Fine dual wield silver profane burst scimitars, take the dervish prc starting with 2 swashbuckler and 3 fighter and kick ass.

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 06:47 AM
Fine dual wield silver profane burst scimitars, take the dervish prc starting with 2 swashbuckler and 3 fighter and kick ass.

I'm going to be Neutral, not evil. Remember: I must stay within 1 step of my "deity." So that means I can be LN or NE, preferring LN over Evil. Dual-Wielding Silver Scimitars is definately in the fluff of kind of the "Respectful Vampire Hunter"

and here is the link for Dhampir (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/dhampir) and the Vampire Hunter Archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/archetypes/paizo---inquisitor-archetypes/vampire-hunter)

Wavelab
2011-11-01, 07:22 AM
I'd still use the ranged build, because getting energy drained and con drained sucks.

In Libris Mortis there are a bunch of undead hunter feats(I think one let's you detect vampires) Check it out definitely.

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 07:37 AM
I'd still use the ranged build, because getting energy drained and con drained sucks.

In Libris Mortis there are a bunch of undead hunter feats(I think one let's you detect vampires) Check it out definitely.

Was definately looking at those. Not expecting the campaign to be Undead-Heavy, but I love the Vampire Hunter Theme.

I could also gnab Enduring Life, Unquenchable Flame of Life, and Lasting Life (need Endurance though. yuck). And perhaps I can dip into Ranger for TWF and Endurance for free!

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 12:48 PM
I'm thinking of shifting to Evening Glory, a True Neutral Undead Deity, meaning I can be good, thus be Exalted.

Fluff-wise, I think it could be that I got a mistranslated version of her texts, which told me that Undead who do not love anything but murder (ie: Vampires who kill more than their fill) must be destroyed in order for Eternal Love to exist.

It's a bit of a far shot, but at least now I can have Exalted stuff On Top Of my vampire killing stuff

The-Mage-King
2011-11-01, 01:19 PM
Er... You do know you don't need a deity, right? People get so hung up on divine spellcasters and gods, that they forget the "worship an ideal" clause...

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 01:23 PM
Er... You do know you don't need a deity, right? People get so hung up on divine spellcasters and gods, that they forget the "worship an ideal" clause...

DM said that Inquisitor is like a "demented favored soul." Thus, for the purpose of his campaign, I must worship a deity (the cleric doesn't, because he worships the ideals of Munchkinnery)

Zonugal
2011-11-01, 02:30 PM
I don't have proficient with whips... And besides, he's not a sad Belmont clone... He's much like if Blade was more in-tune with his Vampire side, yet hunts vampires. I was thinking either dual-weilding or something along those lines. He should be designed to kick some suck-head butt, not be a Belmont rip off.

What about something like this?

Blade
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ajwz1FVsQSE/TTq3cUKuEPI/AAAAAAAADeA/ZEX9XI9kQJ4/s1600/Blade.jpg
Blade: Half-Vampire Human Male Undead Stalker 6; CR 7; Medium Humanoid (human); HD 6d8+6; hp 39; Init +7; Spd 40 ft.; AC 15, touch 13, flat-footed 12; Base Atk +6; Grp +9; Atk +11 melee (1d6+9/x2; slam) or +12 ranged (1d4+6/19-20x2; 30ft.; hand crossbow); SA Sneak Attack (+3d6), Smite Evil (+6 dmg; 2/day)); SQ Blood Drain, Blood Dependency, Damage Reduction 5/Magic or Silver, Fast Healing 1 (up to ½ health), Favored Enemy (Undead +4), Wild Empathy (+6), Animal Companion (Dog) ; AL CG; SV Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +4; Str 16, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 8.
Skills, Skill Tricks and Feats: Bluff +5 (0 ranks -1 cha +2 racial +4 towards undead), Climb +5 (2 ranks +3 str), Craft (Weapons) +3 (2 ranks +1 int), Heal +3 (2 rank +1 wis), Hide +14 (9 ranks +3 dex +2 racial), Jump +16 (7 ranks +3 str +2 synergy +4 speed), Knowledge (Local) +10 (9 ranks +1 int), Knowledge (Religion) +10 (9 ranks +1 int), Listen +12 (5 ranks +1 wis +2 racial +4 against undead), Move Silently +14 (9 ranks +3 dex +2 racial), Spot +12 (5 ranks +1 wis +2 racial +4 against undead), Tumble +14 (9 ranks +3 dex +2 synergy) and Use Rope (2 ranks); Collector of Stories; Endurance, Enduring Life, Fearless, Hand Crossbow Focus, Improved Initiative, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Knowledge Devotion, Leadership, Nemesis (Undead), Track, and Two-Weapon Fighting.
Traits & Flaws: Detached and Quick; Pathetic (Charisma) and Vulnerable
Spells Per Day (CL 3): 2 1st-level spells (DC 12)
1st-level Spells Typically Prepared
Deathwatch: Reveals how near death subjects within 30ft. are.
Hide from Undead: Undead can’t perceive one subject/level.
Variants: Undead Stalker (DMG) and Skilled City-Dweller (Web).

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 02:36 PM
What about something like this?

Blade
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ajwz1FVsQSE/TTq3cUKuEPI/AAAAAAAADeA/ZEX9XI9kQJ4/s1600/Blade.jpg
Blade: Half-Vampire Human Male Undead Stalker 6; CR 7; Medium Humanoid (human); HD 6d8+6; hp 39; Init +7; Spd 40 ft.; AC 15, touch 13, flat-footed 12; Base Atk +6; Grp +9; Atk +11 melee (1d6+9/x2; slam) or +12 ranged (1d4+6/19-20x2; 30ft.; hand crossbow); SA Sneak Attack (+3d6), Smite Evil (+6 dmg; 2/day)); SQ Blood Drain, Blood Dependency, Damage Reduction 5/Magic or Silver, Fast Healing 1 (up to ½ health), Favored Enemy (Undead +4), Wild Empathy (+6), Animal Companion (Dog) ; AL CG; SV Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +4; Str 16, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 8.
Skills, Skill Tricks and Feats: Bluff +5 (0 ranks -1 cha +2 racial +4 towards undead), Climb +5 (2 ranks +3 str), Craft (Weapons) +3 (2 ranks +1 int), Heal +3 (2 rank +1 wis), Hide +14 (9 ranks +3 dex +2 racial), Jump +16 (7 ranks +3 str +2 synergy +4 speed), Knowledge (Local) +10 (9 ranks +1 int), Knowledge (Religion) +10 (9 ranks +1 int), Listen +12 (5 ranks +1 wis +2 racial +4 against undead), Move Silently +14 (9 ranks +3 dex +2 racial), Spot +12 (5 ranks +1 wis +2 racial +4 against undead), Tumble +14 (9 ranks +3 dex +2 synergy) and Use Rope (2 ranks); Collector of Stories; Endurance, Enduring Life, Fearless, Hand Crossbow Focus, Improved Initiative, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Knowledge Devotion, Leadership, Nemesis (Undead), Track, and Two-Weapon Fighting.
Traits & Flaws: Detached and Quick; Pathetic (Charisma) and Vulnerable
Spells Per Day (CL 3): 2 1st-level spells (DC 12)
1st-level Spells Typically Prepared
Deathwatch: Reveals how near death subjects within 30ft. are.
Hide from Undead: Undead can’t perceive one subject/level.
Variants: Undead Stalker (DMG) and Skilled City-Dweller (Web).

Very similar, just different class

hex0
2011-11-01, 05:23 PM
DM said that Inquisitor is like a "demented favored soul." Thus, for the purpose of his campaign, I must worship a deity (the cleric doesn't, because he worships the ideals of Munchkinnery)

Scout 4/Cloistered Cleric 2/Prestige Paladin X

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 05:42 PM
Scout 4/Cloistered Cleric 2/Prestige Paladin X

I'm using Inquisitor instead of "traditional" options, though I was thinking Sacred Exorcist 1/Knight of the Raven X.

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 07:45 PM
Any other suggestions?