PDA

View Full Version : corpse crafter and making yourself into an undead.

kiryoku
2011-10-31, 10:12 PM
Does it work? using corpse crafter and make yourself into an undead. By the Raw it seems like it should sense you make yourself into an undead. I am sure every DM out there is ready to throw books at me for even asking but I was curious.

Vladislav
2011-10-31, 10:22 PM
Corpsecrafter provides the bonus, IIRC, to "every undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell"

Templates that turn a PC into undead, such as Necropolitan or Lich, don't have a specific spell associated with them, so by RAW, the DM should say no. By RAI, your mileage may vary.

kiryoku
2011-10-31, 10:24 PM
well that sucks oh well it was just extra ammo lol.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-31, 10:31 PM
For Necropolitan, it doesn't specifically say that the process involved doesn't include necromancy spells. It would not be unreasonable to presume that it does. Thus, if your character is a Necropolitan, then you can say that the individual performing the ritual on him had the entire Corpsecrafter line of feats, plus at least eight levels of Dread Necromancer (HoH, another +2 HP/HD) and that it was performed within the area of a Desecrate spell with an evil altar present. That costs your character nothing, and he gains the full benefit of all those effects.

VarianArdell
2011-10-31, 10:40 PM
Corpsecrafter provides the bonus, IIRC, to "every undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell"

Templates that turn a PC into undead, such as Necropolitan or Lich, don't have a specific spell associated with them, so by RAW, the DM should say no. By RAI, your mileage may vary.

theoretically, couldn't you use Animate Dead and Awaken Dead as contingencies, then kill yourself?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-31, 10:46 PM
theoretically, couldn't you use Animate Dead and Awaken Dead as contingencies, then kill yourself?

Animate Dead makes you lose all your class levels, and thus your class features. Spellcasting isn't given back by Awaken Undead anyway. A Contingent Animate Dread Warrior could probably work, but with Int -6, Cha -4, you'd need to be a Cleric.

VarianArdell
2011-10-31, 10:50 PM
Animate Dead makes you lose all your class levels, and thus your class features.

where does it say this? please bear with me, I'm AFB, but I can't tell where on the SRD it says that...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-31, 10:54 PM
Skeletons' (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/skeleton.htm) Hit Dice
Drop any Hit Dice gained from class levels (to a minimum of 1) and raise remaining Hit Dice to d12s. If the creature has more than 20 Hit Dice, it can’t be made into a skeleton by the animate dead spell.

Zombies' (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/zombie.htm) Hit Dice
Drop any Hit Dice from class levels (to a minimum of 1), double the number of Hit Dice left, and raise them to d12s. If the base creature has more than 10 Hit Dice (not counting those gained with experience), it can’t be made into a zombie with the animate dead spell.

Vladislav
2011-11-01, 12:03 AM
For Necropolitan, it doesn't specifically say that the process involved doesn't include necromancy spells. It would not be unreasonable to presume that it does.First, gotta love the "it doesn't say it doesn't, therefore it might" line of argumentation.

However, in this case it would be indeed unreasonable to assume so. If the ritual would have a spell associated with it, it would say "only a character who can cast such-and-such spell can perform the ritual". To use an example, Belt of Strength has the requirement of "Bull's Strength". Can't cast Bull's Strength? You can't make a Belt of Strength. You can be a 20th level archmage, but if you can't cast Bull's Strength, that particular item is beyond your powers.

Does the Necropolitan ritual have any such requirement? No. No knowledge of any specific spell is needed. Therefore there is no specific spell.

EDIT: In fact, I just reread the Necropolitan template, and the creation ritual doesn't even have the requirement of being able to cast any Necromancy spells. So, basically, Just No (TM).

docnessuno
2011-11-01, 04:52 AM
1) Cast magic jar on someone
2) Kill your original body
3) Cast desacration
4) Raise your original body as a skeleton/zombie.
5) Cast Awaken undead on your new skeleton body
6) Regain control of your undead body
7) Dodge books trown by the DM
8) ????
9) Profit

lord_khaine
2011-11-01, 06:30 AM
Else, there are also the easyer solutions of Bone or corpse creatures, but if you improve yourself with corpse crafter feats, then your DM might very well slap you with a +1 or 2 LA.

Andvare
2011-11-01, 04:07 PM
Contingency, Create Undead, Mummy.
Mummies keep their class levels (might be open to interpretation though).
It could even be argued that you would rise as a Mummy Lord

Rubik
2011-11-01, 04:55 PM
Use a thought bottle, kill yourself with negative levels, arise as a wight, and retrieve your XP from the thought bottle?