PDA

View Full Version : GitP community Monster Class competition III voting thread

Mystic Muse
2011-10-31, 10:25 PM
GITP Community Monster Class Competition III: Horrors and Spooks

Voting Thread

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb443/Zernobog888/Green_Lantern_Blackest_Night-51_Cover-2_Teaser.jpg

You will vote for two things on this thread, the monster class from last month's competion that you think is the best, and a theme for the next contest. The deadline for this voting thread will (tentatively) be the end of this month.

Rules

1) First, you will vote for one monster class entry that you think is the best.

Contest Entries

TheGeckoKing's Graveknight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12033612&postcount=4)

Hyudra's Mummy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12022573&postcount=3)

Soft Serve's Scarecrow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12005524&postcount=2)

If you are unsure how to judge a monster class, following these guidelines:

Originality - The monster class should be unique. It should stand out from the rest, as a class.
Playability - The monster should allow for fluid, engaging, amusing and uninterrupted play at the table.
Balance - The monster should be balanced enough that it's not going to hold the group back or dominate everything without even trying, both overall and at a given stage in its development.
Elegance - The page which details the monster for the player should look good and be easy to understand.
Flavor - Last but certainly not least, we want to preserve the flavor and the atmosphere of the monster the monster class is based off of.

Feel free to explain your vote, even using the guidelines as an explanation if you want. You can vote for your own monster class creation if you truly feel that it is the best entry. In the case of a tie, I will vote on the disputed themes.

2) Second, you will vote for the theme of the upcoming contest. I am not offering any suggestions for a theme this month; I want to see what you guys can collaborate on. I suggest offering many ideas for a theme when you post, in order to get the ball rolling. that way, others can tell you which ideas they like from your list, and add to it.

Whichever theme has the most votes by the end of the month will be used for next month's contest. In the case of a tie, I will vote on the disputed themes.

Stycotl
2011-11-05, 04:40 AM
what day are you going to/did you close voting?

Mystic Muse
2011-11-06, 03:51 AM
I know it's non-standard, which is entirely my fault, but I intended to close it up at the end of November. I mostly suspect very few people to not be busy during this month (A ton of my own friends are busy with school, and things like Thanksgiving/Black Friday are coming up) so another contest during this month just seemed to like it wouldn't receive enough attention to matter, and I specifically mentioned this with nobody objecting.

Stycotl
2011-11-23, 07:27 PM
i vote for hyudra's mummy.

i'll get to contest ideas in a bit. i'm a bit swamped now though.

Mystic Muse
2011-11-23, 07:41 PM
i vote for hyudra's mummy.

i'll get to contest ideas in a bit. i'm a bit swamped now though.

Alright.

Since Life has kinda kicked you in the butt Stycotl, I'm offering an alternative while I (temporarily) take over the contests. How about, the winner gets to choose one monster class, CR 12 or less, and I turn that into a playable class?

It's not great, but it'd work since I don't have any requests to work on at the moment (Illurien is kind of a dead end, but I'm trying), and it's at least something.

Stycotl
2011-11-24, 12:21 AM
Alright.

Since Life has kinda kicked you in the butt Stycotl, I'm offering an alternative while I (temporarily) take over the contests. How about, the winner gets to choose one monster class, CR 12 or less, and I turn that into a playable class?

It's not great, but it'd work since I don't have any requests to work on at the moment (Illurien is kind of a dead end, but I'm trying), and it's at least something.

that is a good idea.

eventually i hope to be able to participate more on the boards again. but with my last few months of college, i'm barely holding my pbp game together. so i really appreciate your help, soft serve. thanks.

Mystic Muse
2011-11-25, 11:48 PM
that is a good idea.

eventually i hope to be able to participate more on the boards again. but with my last few months of college, i'm barely holding my pbp game together. so i really appreciate your help, soft serve. thanks.

Alright. The winner gets to choose one CR 12 or less monster for me to make with the following restrictions.
1. Nothing revolving around, or having mind control as a major ability. I like monsters to be able to be any alignment in spite of their abilities, but anything that involves taking away free will (Dominate person, helm of opposite alignment, ETC.) is something that I consider so ethically wrong I've abandoned several things I used to enjoy, just due to the presence of that.
2. Nothing involving dragging souls to a resting place they don't deserve. No monsters involving dragging Paladins into hell, or dragging beings like Xykon into Celestia. Temptation is fine, but you should have to want Salvation to be redeemed, and if you're going to be damned, it should be through your own actions.

Hyudra
2011-11-27, 02:37 PM
Some theme suggestions. Aiming to keep them open ended. It's up to the creator to decide what fits that theme.

A Noble Air

From Folklore

Howl from Beyond

It Came from the North

Mystic Muse
2011-11-30, 08:29 PM
Alright everybody, the voting ends when I wake up and get on here tomorrow.

It'd be preferable to get a few more votes before then.:smalltongue:

Hyudra
2011-11-30, 08:35 PM
Alright everybody, the voting ends when I wake up and get on here tomorrow.

It'd be preferable to get a few more votes before then.:smalltongue:

Would it? Would it really?

No feedback on my suggestions for competition themes?

Mystic Muse
2011-11-30, 08:40 PM
Would it? Would it really? Hey, I'd be happy to do the monster you suggested, but it'd be good to know people actually care about this competition still.

No feedback on my suggestions for competition themes?

Oh. Guess I should have put in some input myself, huh?:smallredface:

Some theme suggestions. Aiming to keep them open ended. It's up to the creator to decide what fits that theme.

A Noble Air Doesn't really sound like my kinda thing. (Though, that may be kinda irrelevant since I'm temporarily running this)

From Folklore Hmm. Could be quite cool. Is there some specific criteria for what qualifies as folklore?

Howl from Beyond Seems like it could be a little narrow. Though, that may just be because when I hear the word "Howl" my mind immediately goes to dog/wolf/ETC.

It Came from the North This could be quite interesting too. Definitely allows for a lot of stuff, just like "From Folklore" does.

Hyudra
2011-11-30, 08:48 PM
Let people justify for themselves what "folklore" is. If they fudge it or they're way off, they might not get a vote.

So if you were to narrow them down, you'd say "From Folklore" and "It Came From The North"?

Mystic Muse
2011-11-30, 08:48 PM
Let people justify for themselves what "folklore" is. If they fudge it or they're way off, they might not get a vote.

So if you were to narrow them down, you'd say "From Folklore" and "It Came From The North"?

Yeah, those are what I'd lean towards.

Mystic Muse
2011-12-01, 11:06 AM
Alright. Now is the deadline, so it's time to anounce the winners.

The winner for Monster class this time around is Hyudra's Mummy.

This month's theme is From Folklore

The thread will be up In a little while.

Stycotl
2011-12-02, 10:41 PM
congrats, hyudra. good job, soft serve. a folklore contest sounds like it would be very cool.

Mystic Muse
2011-12-02, 10:46 PM
Hey, question I'd like answered. Am I still allowed to create classes for these contests even though I'm temporarily running them?

Hyudra
2011-12-13, 10:05 AM
I'd vote yes.

Maybe if things really picked up, it might be a problem, but I wouldn't sweat it.

Stycotl
2011-12-16, 04:58 PM
i'd say yes too.