PDA

View Full Version : Feather Fall IC - The End is Nigh

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-10-31, 10:26 PM
Hi All. This will be the Feather Fall In-Character thread for the Fighting Mongoose. Feel free to roll checks and such here.

The OOC thread is located at: www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12137018

After this initial post, all posts on this thread are expected to be made in-character.

Enjoy.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-11-06, 11:18 PM
You hang at the center of a cold, dank windowless chamber. Goosebumps glow warmly as they rippled across you skin in the light of the four candles adorning the walls beyond the door to your caged room. In the soft glow of the flickering flames, the scars revealed themselves. Your wrists and ankles are worn and chaffed where bound tightly and shackled to masonry of the cell's walls.

Beside you are several other prisoners, of varying races and appearance. It is obvious some have been kept in captivity by the empire for too long, and hope has long since left their eyes. Emaciated and malnourished, many slump helplessly to the ground and avoid direct eye contact.

Beyond the bars, you can see your equipment kept in small bags against the wall, waiting to be sold by the empire or kept for equipping its growing army. Even if you could reach the bars, it is just beyond reach. On top of the bags several guards rest their feet wearily.

Of the four guards watching you, one man and one woman are both asleep. The other two are busy playing a card game on the table. closest to your cell, using the light of the candles nearest the caged room to make the cards easier to read.

It is obvious that the female guard is loosing the game badly, and she is not very pleased. Her brow continues to furl and unfurl after every hand. Her compatriot is smug and smirking, a mirror opposite to his nemesis across the table.

gunnar11
2011-11-07, 04:57 AM
Etcied slowly wakes up. How exactly did he get here again? He didn't remember. He would soon, he was sure of it. He notices two guards sleeping, and two playing cards. He then devices a plan. Deceit and chains can't keep him bound, no-one can!

Casting: Message
To everyone who seems strong and able to help Etcied escape, and everyone he can point at.

"Wanna escape? I can make a diversion, I can even attack them, but I'll need melee strength, the only thing I can't provide...

Do you want an illusion, silence or invisibility of some sort?

Etcied says, fastly adding:

Whisper me back, they won't hear, trust me

gunnar11
2011-11-08, 03:25 AM
As no one seemed to answer, Etcied decides to go on, and make a run for it himself. Using the remaining time of his message, he says: "Ok guys, if you want to escape, better do it after my casting, I will be going anyways."

He then begins to cast, only his hands moving and trying to be as stealthily as possible:

Move Silently:[roll0]
(for silent casting)

A twisting pattern of subtle, shifting colors weaves through the air, originating between the two cards players, instantly drawing their attention to them.

Casting: Hypnotic Pattern (emanated between the card players, 10ft radius)
HD Amount Affected: [roll1]
Time affected for: (Concentration+2)= 8 rounds

Etcied then shouts: "Move, now! We've got less than a minute!" making wild gestures while saying this.
"Do not attack those guards! It will free them from my spell! Do not even point a weapon at them!"

He now tries to escape:

Escape Artist:[roll2]
if it doesn't work;
Strength check:[roll3]
if it doesn't work:
Magic Missile the chains: [roll4]

BlackestOfMages
2011-11-08, 03:44 AM
Prior to Etcied's escape attempt

Alsaphar looks up, and rubs his aching head. The last thing he remebered was sharing a drink or five with that pretty girl in chainmail he'd met at the tavern... ...and now he was locked in a cage, and she loosing at a game of cards. What an unusual turn of events.
The whispered message thudded into his aching head, feeling for all the gods like the elf was shouting the question. Even in his wine-beddragled state, Alsaphar mulled over the idea like a cup of fine wine. Damn, he needed to get his mind on the present.
"One would assume, good ser, that stealth would the order of the day. We know not the potence of our guards, nor if they have reenforcements." Alsaphar paused to consider his options for the moment, other than the direct escape, when he caught sight of the mirror and the man's lopsided grin. The blaggard, decieving a lady! well, he could fix that!
"Mayhaps we could have our captor's distract one another. Look to see how the male guard cheats - bring this to the light, and we may have a distraction without you having to expend any power.
Contrarywise, if we bring our captors to the bars, I would say with confidence that between the two of us we should be able to accout for two soldiers, and hopefully earn our freedom. The choice, my freind, I leave up to you."
The duskblade paused for a moment, to try and clear his aching head even as his own words echoed in his mind. "In any case, silence would be golden"

things to do:
Inspect the bars to see if there are any faults in construction etc. (search test [roll0]/untrained know (engineering) [roll1]
Use Arcane attunement to cast ghost sounds as an SLA to say, in a gruff male voice from outside the next room "Is he still using that mirror to cheat?"

BlackestOfMages
2011-11-08, 04:29 AM
Seeing the guards distracted by the swirling lights, Alsaphar began his own escape attempt. Looking down, the manacles would likely prove beyond his strength to escape, even with his magical prowess. Maybe the cell bars would help.
An idea set in his mind, Alsaphar threaded one hand through the steel bars, ensuring the chain was caught round as many of them as possible. Hopefully, both of them would give, but he'd be more than happy for just one of them to break.
To give him strength, Alsaphar mouthed a short incantation, and prayed o the gods to give him strength

move silently to cast silenelty 1d20+3
Activating granted power of strength domain
cast Enlarge Person on self using two level 0 slots with practical spellcaster
strength test: [roll0] with any bonus having some leverage thanks to chains gives to try and break something.

if that dosen't work (and I'm sure it won't :smalltongue:) Alsaphar will try and spot a key in the room [roll1] and mage hand it to him.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-11-08, 06:21 AM
As no one seemed to answer, Etcied decides to go on, and make a run for it himself. Using the remaining time of his message, he says: "Ok guys, if you want to escape, better do it after my casting, I will be going anyways."

He then begins to cast, only his hands moving and trying to be as stealthily as possible:

Move Silently:[roll0]
(for silent casting)

A twisting pattern of subtle, shifting colors weaves through the air, originating between the two cards players, instantly drawing their attention to them.

Casting: Hypnotic Pattern (emanated between the card players, 10ft radius)
HD Amount Affected: [roll1]
Time affected for: (Concentration+2)= 8 rounds

Guard one will save:
Guard two will save: [roll1]

Etcied then shouts: "Move, now! We've got less than a minute!" making wild gestures while saying this.
"Do not attack those guards! It will free them from my spell! Do not even point a weapon at them!"

He now tries to escape:

Escape Artist:[roll2]
if it doesn't work;
Strength check:[roll3]
if it doesn't work:
Magic Missile the chains: [roll4]

Your attempts to snake your arms through the manacles fail and, despite your best efforts, you lack the physical strength to snap the chains.

As the magic flies from your fingertips you can see burn patters and can smell smoldering metal, but the construction of the manacles seems unaffected and you are still bound.

Prior to Etcied's escape attempt

Alsaphar looks up, and rubs his aching head. The last thing he remebered was sharing a drink or five with that pretty girl in chainmail he'd met at the tavern... ...and now he was locked in a cage, and she loosing at a game of cards. What an unusual turn of events.
The whispered message thudded into his aching head, feeling for all the gods like the elf was shouting the question. Even in his wine-beddragled state, Alsaphar mulled over the idea like a cup of fine wine. Damn, he needed to get his mind on the present.
"One would assume, good ser, that stealth would the order of the day. We know not the potence of our guards, nor if they have reenforcements." Alsaphar paused to consider his options for the moment, other than the direct escape, when he caught sight of the mirror and the man's lopsided grin. The blaggard, decieving a lady! well, he could fix that!
"Mayhaps we could have our captor's distract one another. Look to see how the male guard cheats - bring this to the light, and we may have a distraction without you having to expend any power.
Contrarywise, if we bring our captors to the bars, I would say with confidence that between the two of us we should be able to accout for two soldiers, and hopefully earn our freedom. The choice, my freind, I leave up to you."
The duskblade paused for a moment, to try and clear his aching head even as his own words echoed in his mind. "In any case, silence would be golden"

things to do:
Inspect the bars to see if there are any faults in construction etc. (search test [roll0]/untrained know (engineering) [roll1]
Use Arcane attunement to cast ghost sounds as an SLA to say, in a gruff male voice from outside the next room "Is he still using that mirror to cheat?"

You notice some minor rust on the base fastenings of the bars. It does not seem to cause any problems for the cell door itself, but given enough weight, the rust could cause some fo the bars to bend or even give way.

Guard one will save: [roll2]
Guard two will save: [roll3]

Seeing the guards distracted by the swirling lights, Alsaphar began his own escape attempt. Looking down, the manacles would likely prove beyond his strength to escape, even with his magical prowess. Maybe the cell bars would help.
An idea set in his mind, Alsaphar threaded one hand through the steel bars, ensuring the chain was caught round as many of them as possible. Hopefully, both of them would give, but he'd be more than happy for just one of them to break.
To give him strength, Alsaphar mouthed a short incantation, and prayed o the gods to give him strength

move silently to cast silenelty [rolld]1d20+3
Activating granted power of strength domain
cast Enlarge Person on self using two level 0 slots with practical spellcaster
strength test: [roll0] with any bonus having some leverage thanks to chains gives to try and break something.

if that dosen't work (and I'm sure it won't :smalltongue:) Alsaphar will try and spot a key in the room [roll1] and mage hand it to him.

You can spot the key to your freedom laying on the far end of the table where the guards are playing cards.

As you grow in size you feel the restriction from the manacles pinching your skin and it causes you great pain. A red line starts to grow around your wrists and you can see the droplets of blood scatter around your feet as you bleed.

Despite your increased size and renewed vigor, your efforts seem for not. The bars on the cell do not give way to the force of your pulling, though you can hear that the strain is having an effect in your favour as the whine in protest. The chain of your manacles seems worn, but it is not broken or damaged. The links around your wrists have suffered from your increase in size, but they too are not visibly different from before.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-11-08, 06:29 AM
As the female guard hears a disembodied voice from beyond the door, her face begins to turn purple with outrage. She pushes her chair back and begins to stand but stops suddenly, caught in a trance by a brilliant display of dancing lights on the table.

Her counterpart notices the change in demeanor of his partner and the concern is visible on is face. As her face relaxes to that of a fascinated child, he looks bewildered and follows her eyes down to the table. He too is swiftly brought under the bedazzling effect of the swaying lights.

Both guards drop their cards tot he floor and sway, slumped against the table for support as they watch the lights dance about before their eyes, their sleeping comrades still snoring soundly.

gunnar11
2011-11-08, 07:23 AM
"Damn chain, anyone care to liberate me?" Etcied mutters, still trying to maintain his focus on the colors, hypnotising the guards.
"Hurry up, I'm losing my focus..."

Bridgar
2011-11-08, 08:29 AM
Grog

"You little runts. This is how you break chains!" Grog shouted amidst the mayhem. He didn't care if he were heard. He would soon kill his captors and nourish his growling stomach with their flesh. He pulled his right leg back against the wall, bending at the knee and then extended it all at once, snapping on the chains. At the pain from this, he flew into a rage, no longer giving heed to how he broke the chains. He flailed furiously, pulling on all his chains at once.

Prerage: [roll0]
Postrage until they're broken: [roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

The DC to break chains is 26. I succeed on the first raging attempt.

BlackestOfMages
2011-11-08, 03:48 PM
Well, that was a monumental failure. So much for the flashy way out
he sighed; why did reality always get in the way of the fun moments?
Dissapointed, Alsaphar focused on the keys at the desk, and dipped once more into his pool of magic. They flew across the room, landing neatly in his hand.
Moments later, with bloodlow thankfully returned to his wrists, he let himself out of the cage, and then set to work letting everyone else out as quickly as he could.

use mage hand to get the keys, 2 level 0 spells left today.
3 rounds used (4 if it took more than one to unlock more chains)

Bridgar
2011-11-09, 12:13 AM
Grog
Pieces of chain flying everywhere, Grog charged full-speed towards the bars of their prison.

Charge Str to bend/break bars (DC 24 to bend unknown to break):
[roll0]
Fails without the circumstantial bonus from BoM. :smallfrown:

BlackestOfMages
2011-11-09, 01:35 PM
Alsaphar holds his aching head as the other prisoner bursts through the bars on the cell. “I was coming to let you out, you know.” He said, then stepped around the broken bars to free the other prisoners.
“So, what do we do about these two?” he asked as he worked, gesturing at the two mesmerised guards “I don't like the idea of leaving without my equipment, but I hardly want to shame myself killing two people simply doing their job.”

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-11-09, 11:48 PM
As the bars to your cell going flying outwards and freedom seems in reach, the two guards, previously asleep by your weapons wake suddenly. They quickly gain their senses and spot their helpless comrades, mesmerized by the hypnotic pattern dancing around their card table. While one stand between you and your weapons, the other runs over to attempt to wake the other guards from their daze.

Bridgar
2011-11-10, 12:01 AM
Grog
In his blood-rage, Grog charged at the nearest capable opponent. He dove low for the legs, intending to tear them off.

Charge into a grapple against the guard rousing the card-players:
AoO provoked. AC 9. HP 45.

Touch attack to initiate: [roll0]
Opposed grapple (with -4 to deal lethal damage): [roll1]
Lethal damage: [roll2] +2 (leading the charge)

BlackestOfMages
2011-11-10, 07:22 AM
"Damn" muttered alsaphar as the other guards woke up. That might be a problem. Still, no used crying over spilled wine...

Alaphar will charge the guard that Grog is not grappeling, and channel shocking touch into the attack.

concentration roll (defensive for free due to combat casting): [roll0] need an 11 or the spell fizzles
unarmed charge/move + attack if to close (AoO provoked due to unarmed attack): [roll1] + 2 if charge was successful
damage: [roll2] nonlethal + [roll3] lethal electricity damage

3 1st level spells remaining

PS: don;t think it'll help much, but thanks to Alsaphar's leading the charge stance, you gain +2 damage if you charged as part of that grapple :smallsmile:

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-11-13, 11:21 PM
Grog
In his blood-rage, Grog charged at the nearest capable opponent. He dove low for the legs, intending to tear them off.

Charge into a grapple against the guard rousing the card-players:
AoO provoked. AC 9. HP 45.

Touch attack to initiate: [roll0]
Opposed grapple (with -4 to deal lethal damage): [roll1]
Lethal damage: [roll2] +2 (leading the charge)

The first guard, intimidated by the ferocity of his opponent, swings wildly with his short sword, in an attempt to divert the charging half-ogre.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Just as the blade slices into Grog, the guard finds himself crushed by his opponents grappling arms. He gasps for breath and drops his sword, clawing at the strong arms around him, desperate for air. You can hear a resounding crack, as his neck snaps in two, and the guard goes limp.

"Damn" muttered alsaphar as the other guards woke up. That might be a problem. Still, no used crying over spilled wine...

Alaphar will charge the guard that Grog is not grappeling, and channel shocking touch into the attack.

concentration roll (defensive for free due to combat casting): [roll0] need an 11 or the spell fizzles
unarmed charge/move + attack if to close (AoO provoked due to unarmed attack): [roll1] + 2 if charge was successful
damage: [roll2] nonlethal + [roll3] lethal electricity damage

3 1st level spells remaining

PS: don;t think it'll help much, but thanks to Alsaphar's leading the charge stance, you gain +2 damage if you charged as part of that grapple :smallsmile:

The second guard readies himself for his approaching adversary. His cuts deftly forward with his weapon, slicing at Alsaphar.

[roll2]
[roll3] EDIT: was supposed to be a d6, not a d20; damage is reduced to 1/3 (roll was an 18,so reduced to 6, +2 for Str; new damage is 8)

His sword digs deep into Alsaphar's flesh, but he his quickly brought under control by a swift elbow to the face. His nose red with blood, he stumbles forward planning to strike again only, only to go stiff as electricity surges through his body, visibly leaping from hair to hair and to and from his armor. Afterwards , the guard collapses against the card table, dead.

BlackestOfMages
2011-11-16, 01:52 PM
Taking a deep breath, Alsaphar carefully aproaches the bags and begins searching for his equipment. His things back in hand, he turns to the half-ogre who had fought besides him.
"That was amazing. How did one such as you get captured at all?"

Bridgar
2011-11-16, 02:04 PM
Grog
Grog visibly calms down from the adrenaline rush. "One moment, please." He then turns around and snaps the necks of the two dazed guards.

Coup De Grace:
[roll0]
Fort DC 28 vs death

Coup De Grace:
[roll1]
Fort DC 31 vs death

Walking over to his gear, Grog replied "We were on a raid and got completely overwhelmed. There were simply too many to handle. That's all there is to it." He then wordlessly gathered up his gear.

BlackestOfMages
2011-11-18, 07:35 AM
Alsaphar frowned at the needles slaughter, but held his tongue. Mayhpas the half-ogre had been treated harshly during his imprisonment.
Worldessly, he gathered up his glaive and chainmail from the storage at the back of the room, as well as grabbed a few supplies tat had belonged to the dead guards. Lastly, he turned to the elf illsuionist.
"Thank you, good ser, for the distraction. I feel it would be in all of our intrests to quickly leave this prison. what say you all?"

Bridgar
2011-11-18, 11:35 AM
Grog
"I see no rush" Grog said. After gathering his things from the pile of equipment, he began to rummage through the things of the guards.

Search:[roll0]

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-11-21, 11:59 PM
The room within which you stand is dark and dingy. The cold oak floors are covered in dust and dirt, leading to a pale brown colour rather than a lustrous chocolate brown. The only illumination in the room comes from six candles, one hanging in each corner of the room and two on the table where the previously dazed but now dead guards were playing cards.

A razor-thin sheet of light and be seen peeking out from below the cracked wooden door at the far end of the room. It is fixed with a simple lock that appears old and broken. Another door, with no light shinning from beyond, is behind the sack that held your equipment.

As you rummage through the guards belongings, you find:
Each guard wears a simple leather jerkin (leather armor) and possesses a small sword with a sharp edge (short sword).
Additionally, each guard carries a pouch with [roll0] gold pieces.

Bridgar
2011-11-22, 12:14 AM
Grog
After looking through the guards' things, Grog decided that he needed none of it. He even left the human currency, figuring he wouldn't be spending very much time in the human lands. "Leave or don't, I'm out of here" he said to the wizards in the room. Grog then walked up to the old and weak door, raised his foot, and pushed it crashing through the door.

Strength Check: [roll0]

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-11-22, 06:17 AM
Grog
After looking through the guards' things, Grog decided that he needed none of it. He even left the human currency, figuring he wouldn't be spending very much time in the human lands. "Leave or don't, I'm out of here" he said to the wizards in the room. Grog then walked up to the old and weak door, raised his foot, and pushed it crashing through the door.

Strength Check: [roll0]

As you crash through the flimsy wooden door, the bright lights of day burns your eyes. As the glare fro the Sun subsides, you see two more guards, each armed with a halberd.

Both take a step back as you come through the door. One levels his weapon at you while the other sets his halberd in a defensive stance and fingers a horn on his belt.

The first advances upon you and strikes out, shouting:

"Get back in your cage, beast!"

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

gunnar11
2011-11-22, 08:17 AM
After the guards are cleared, Etcied walks over to the stuff they had. He gets his items back, and looks around to see anything else valuable. He discovers the guards to have nothing useful, and so he decides to go outside, the place where the light comes from, that is.
The door seems to be locked, and just before Etcied can cast a knock spell, Grog is already charging through. He is suddenly surprised by a guard attacking him. Etcied decides to put them both to sleep before they can hurt Grog anymore. Even though Etcied is, of course, stronger, smarter, gentler and overall better than Grog, he finds Grog's help and strenght.... peculiar...

Cast: Sleep (try to leave Grog out of the area's effect)
Will DC 15 to avoid sleeping

Inssolent humans...

Bridgar
2011-11-22, 10:52 AM
Consider this action to be after BoM. I would like for him to have a chance in this combat as well. The only problem is that I'm pretty much blocking the entire doorway.

Grog
Grog seemingly doesn't notice the pike of his adversary's halberd in his chest. With one motion, he swung his axe through his opponent, bisecting him vertically.

Attack roll:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-11-22, 11:28 PM
The area of effect targets both Grog and the Guard attacking him (10ft Burst from your square). The other guard is in the square diagonally behind the first guard and is just out of range.

Guard 1 Will [roll0] vs DC 15

I need a will save from you Grog.

After the guard and Grog exchange blows a sparkling yellow dust falls slowly over the two combatants. As it come into contact with their armor is fades from existence but eaves behind a thin yellow-grey mist. Though the mist is not thick enough to block their sight, both rub their eyes frantically.

This obsessive behaviour continues, and both Grog and the guard begiin to slow in their actions. As their eyelids droop, a deep sleep begins to call to them.

The affected guard begins to doze off to sleep, but quickly regains his senses and peers about the battle field. He spots the mage behind Grog and glares angrily at him, leveling his halberd.

As you are behind Grog at this point, to attack you he will have to go through Grog. I will wait for Grog's Will save before continuing.

On a side note, I have not checked, but have you all kept your HP up to date on your character sheets?

gunnar11
2011-11-23, 01:58 AM
the range is medium, so I indeed can let grog out, and the other guard in the spell.

BlackestOfMages
2011-11-23, 06:35 AM
Alsaphar notices the guard heading towards the elf, and steps forward to intercept, tapping the Ogre lighly with a half-hearted "wake up, big guy", before starting to pick up speed and head towards the one remaining guard, glaive spinning in his hands.

battle-leaders charge at the guard. thought about channeling shocking grasp as well but decided against it for fear of overkill :smalltongue:

has it been 3 minutes yet? if so, use he first damage roll, otherwise the second (same general to hit because of -1 from size, but +2 strength)

Hit: [roll0]
damage (large) [roll1]
damage (Medium) [roll2]

Bridgar
2011-11-23, 11:13 AM
Will Save:[roll0]
My HP is up to date, yes.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-11-25, 01:08 AM
the range is medium, so I indeed can let grog out, and the other guard in the spell.

My apologizes, so it is. I read area of effect and missed the range. Regardless, each guard has 4HD, so only the first could be targeted (as he would be the closest, I assume, to your point of origin).

Alsaphar notices the guard heading towards the elf, and steps forward to intercept, tapping the Ogre lighly with a half-hearted "wake up, big guy", before starting to pick up speed and head towards the one remaining guard, glaive spinning in his hands.

battle-leaders charge at the guard. thought about channeling shocking grasp as well but decided against it for fear of overkill :smalltongue:

has it been 3 minutes yet? if so, use he first damage roll, otherwise the second (same general to hit because of -1 from size, but +2 strength)

Hit: [roll0]
damage (large) [roll1]
damage (Medium) [roll2]

I will let you choose how long you spent in the room. If you'd prefer 3+ minutes, that's up to you.

As you run past the first guard, who has remained conscious, he lashes out with his Halberd in an attempt to bar your way.

AoO as you pass by the first guard:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Slipping past the first guard, he stumbles after you, but stops is pursuit before it begins, turning his attention back on the hulking ogre standing before him.

As the wounds he suffered begin to show, blood darkening his clothing and pooling on the ground, he grits his teeth. With a stern look but a weakening resolve he shouts:

"I'll stop you here beast!"

As you approach the second guard, the strikes forward at you with his halberd, having anticipated an attack. However, your ferocity causes him to let go of the horn he had almost brought to his lips, intending to call for support.

[I]
One levels his weapon at you while the other sets his halberd in a defensive stance and fingers a horn on his belt.

second guard
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

As your attack connects, you can see the grievous wounds. The blade of your glaive sliced through the guards armor as if it were break, and his flesh is wrought with deep gashes. He bows to one knee momentarily, but raises again to his feet, determined to stave you off.