PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Spellsurge

Yorae
2011-10-31, 11:48 PM
I'm currently working on a Wu Jen that would like to utilize Arcane Spellsurge - my question is, how can she take advantage of it's quickening effect on full-round spells, since the Wu Jen is a prepared caster (and, thus, her metamagic spells aren't full-round actions)?

Kittenwolf
2011-10-31, 11:55 PM
I'm currently working on a Wu Jen that would like to utilize Arcane Spellsurge - my question is, how can she take advantage of it's quickening effect on full-round spells, since the Wu Jen is a prepared caster (and, thus, her metamagic spells aren't full-round actions)?

I'm unsure exactly which spells Wu Jen gets, but Summoning spells are full round, and the Channeled line of spells also works.
Additionally, if you take a reserve feat, the reserve "spells" aren't accelerated.

Also, I'm not 100% certain but aren't spells gained through.. dang, whatever that feat is that gives Arcane casters a Domain, still cast as Divine spells? Spellsurge explicitly states only your arcane ones are accelerated.

Godskook
2011-10-31, 11:57 PM
1.How are you getting access to this spell as a Wu Jen?

2.Well, you're not going to be able to do it quite like a Sorcerer can, but you can certainly drop a summon-chain just fine, since those are full-round actions naturally, as are a few other spells.

Yorae
2011-10-31, 11:59 PM
1.How are you getting access to this spell as a Wu Jen?

It's on the Wu Jen spell list. It's on the Wizard list as well.

Level: Sorcerer/wizard 7, wu jen 7 (all)

Godskook
2011-11-01, 12:39 AM
It's on the Wu Jen spell list. It's on the Wizard list as well.

Level: Sorcerer/wizard 7, wu jen 7 (all)

That's what I get for going off memory alone. I could've sworn it was one of those few Sorcerer-only goodies.

Yorae
2011-11-01, 01:17 AM
That's what I get for going off memory alone. I could've sworn it was one of those few Sorcerer-only goodies.

I'd be willing to bet you were thinking of [Greater] Arcane Fusion, which is Sorcerer-only. They are both spells that cram more spells into a smaller casting time and they are often used together, so really noone can fault you for that. =p

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-01, 03:53 AM
You could always trick your DM. Say "I want to homebrew a metamagic feat...let's see...it does this powerful effect, but in addition to a + whatever spell slot, it also lengthens the casting time to a full-round! Doesn't that sound fair?"

Then your DM falls for it and you enjoy exactly one encounter of Arcane Spellsurge godliness before your DM takes the feat and chucks a copy of Complete Arcane at your head for tricking him.

Still, it's very satisfying.

DoctorGlock
2011-11-01, 04:09 AM
It works for prepared caster who like to use Uncanny Forethought, since casting one of those is normally a full round. You have access to that?

DeAnno
2011-11-01, 04:33 AM
Hail of Stone, an otherwise fairly unassuming 1st level spell, is exceptional in that it deals untyped SRless damage with no save with a casting time of 1 full round, and it is on the Wu Jen list. Making decent use of it will probably require a good deal of metamagic and other augmentation though.

Douglas
2011-11-01, 08:36 AM
Hail of Stone, an otherwise fairly unassuming 1st level spell, is exceptional in that it deals untyped SRless damage with no save with a casting time of 1 full round, and it is on the Wu Jen list. Making decent use of it will probably require a good deal of metamagic and other augmentation though.
Don't forget instantaneous conjuration and in an area. It's got pretty much every "impossible to resist" trait a damage spell can possibly have - either you cancel the spell entirely (counterspell, disrupt concentration, or Globe of Invulnerability) or you take the damage if you're there, mitigating or ignoring the damage never happens.

The only problem is that it's a mere 5d4 damage at the cap.

DoctorGlock
2011-11-01, 09:42 AM
Don't forget instantaneous conjuration and in an area. It's got pretty much every "impossible to resist" trait a damage spell can possibly have - either you cancel the spell entirely (counterspell, disrupt concentration, or Globe of Invulnerability) or you take the damage if you're there, mitigating or ignoring the damage never happens.

unless you have reserves of strength, then it's CL+1 d4, and you can twin+empower that thing.

Godskook
2011-11-01, 03:02 PM

There is at least one way around spell caps.

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-01, 05:27 PM
There is at least one way around spell caps.

What is that? Other than Intensify Spell, which is an epic metamagic feat.

Weezer
2011-11-01, 05:33 PM
The one that pops to mind is the Reserves of Strength feat, from Dragonlance Campaign Setting.