PDA

View Full Version : Naming my Magical Sword

missmvicious
2011-11-01, 01:50 AM
Okay so I am playing in a campaign as a pixie rogue bard and in game I just got a magical sword made for me. I wanted to do something to increase damage some because well I have a 6 in strength (thats after putting another point in there at level 4) So with my small sized rapier I was doing a whopping 1d4-3 damage. Anyways so I got it like 1 day ago in game and I found out that my pixie's colour splash rapier wants to hunt giants. Seriously when I found that out I almost died laughing.
Here are its stats
Magic Weapon +1
Spell Storing: Color Spray
Intelligent Item: LG, Defeat/Slay Giants, Empathic = 2 lesser power slots, 60' vision and hearing, Not illuminated.
INT: 13
WIS: 10
CHA: 13
Ego: +1 (enhancement bonus) +1 (special ability: Spell Storing) +2 (INT)+2 (CHA)= 6 Ego Points
I totally crushed its Will but I want to get on well with my sword so I decided if the chance arose I would throw it a bone on the giant slaying.

So I collect my sword and the next morning I set off to Scardale with its mayor to preform at some big city function. In just one days travel we run into 10 goblins (NBD), then an Ettin and then after that not one but two Hill Giant Wereboars (that one was more tough) So first of all the only ones to damage me? Goblins. I took no damage in either fight with the giants, and not because I was standing back letting the fighters/barbarians/clerics do all the fighting. I entangle one of the Wereboar and try to coup de graw it. And I actually can't because I do so little damage (Mofo's have a +20 to their Fort save)
After finding some really awesome treasure and leveling up one of the guys in the party asked me what my sword's name was. (because I explained that it wanted to kill giants, and every one lol'd) And I had to pause and go "Well I hadn't thought of it yet" And really I have no idea, so I was hoping to get an appropriate name for it.
Please help <3

GoatBoy
2011-11-01, 01:57 AM
May I ask first why you have it described as "Spell Storing: Color Spray"? Unless it's a custom enchantment, spell storing weapons can store any targeted spell of up to 3rd level.

I might suggest this magic weapon name generator (http://donjon.bin.sh/name/#weapon), which may not give you exactly what you need, but hopefully will provide some inspiration.

missmvicious
2011-11-01, 02:02 AM
Its custom, it gets colour spray once per day

Dexam
2011-11-01, 03:38 AM
*Opens up the ever useful Ye Olde Elvish to Common Dictionary*

Hmmm, the best I can come up with is something along the lines of Ninniach Norsa-ndengiv, which roughly translates as "Rainbow Giant-slayer".

Still, something like Ninniach (pronounced neen-ee-akh) isn't too bad. :smallsmile:

hamishspence
2011-11-01, 03:59 AM
Would "Taste the Rainbow!" be a good battlecry, when striking at an opponent?

sirpercival
2011-11-01, 04:18 AM
As a small sword that wants to hunt large things, I would go with "Death by Pinprick", or possibly "Wasp".

Keneth
2011-11-01, 04:47 AM
Just call him Bob.

Sith_Happens
2011-11-01, 04:49 AM
As a small sword that wants to hunt large things, I would go with "Death by Pinprick", or possibly "Wasp".

Or, you know, "Sting."
<.<
>.>

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-01, 09:35 AM
FEAR MY COLOURFUL WRATH!

sirpercival
2011-11-01, 09:38 AM
Or, you know, "Sting."
<.<
>.>

ISWYDT

I was trying to avoid that one... :D

For awesome sword names, check out Dave Duncan's "Tales of the King's Blades" series. All the King's Blades name their swords, and some of them are quite clever. Everyone will listen to Reason, after all.

The Boz
2011-11-01, 09:47 AM
ISWYDT

I was trying to avoid that one... :D

For awesome sword names, check out Dave Duncan's "Tales of the King's Blades" series. All the King's Blades name their swords, and some of them are quite clever. Everyone will listen to Reason, after all.

How about Needle?

grarrrg
2011-11-01, 10:42 AM
Call it "Mifoon"
Super-Mega-Bonus points if anyone actually gets the reference.
Hints: Yes that is the correct spelling. And it has nothing to do with "giant-slaying" nor "color spraying".

Fixed that for you. :smallcool:

El Dorado
2011-11-01, 11:55 AM
Dream Big
Aim High
Tall Order
Delusion of Grandeur

Metahuman1
2011-11-01, 12:54 PM
Something with a bit of an eastern "Size/strength doesn't matter in battle" vibe might be good. Reflect the teaching that it was entirely possible for a smaller fighter to defeat an opponent no matter how much bigger?"

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 01:13 PM
Turalisjilt Astahii Re Tonnilt Astahii Wielg

Rough Draconic for, "The Bigger They Are, The Harder They Fall"

NNescio
2011-11-01, 02:39 PM
Something with a bit of an eastern "Size/strength doesn't matter in battle" vibe might be good. Reflect the teaching that it was entirely possible for a smaller fighter to defeat an opponent no matter how much bigger?"

David.

Does the Middle East count?

Blyte
2011-11-01, 03:03 PM
How about Needle?

haha, you should inscribe "valor morgalus"(spelling?) on the blade

NNescio
2011-11-01, 03:06 PM
haha, you should inscribe "valor morgalus"(spelling?) on the blade

Valar Morghulis?

Blyte
2011-11-01, 03:11 PM
thanks, I have listened to the audio books, through book 5, while commuting in my car, so the spelling has escaped me.

missmvicious
2011-11-01, 03:22 PM
LOL!

Valar Morghulis? I'm a Pixie! My rapier is like, what, a foot long?

GnomeGninjas
2011-11-01, 03:24 PM
Shtabby McGiantstab:smallbiggrin:

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-01, 03:24 PM
LOL!

Valar Morghulis? I'm a Pixie! My rapier is like, what, a foot long?

IIRC, Pixies are about 1.5 foot tall. So your rapier is bout 6 in or so.

My bad, 2.5 feet tall. But 6 in rapier sounds more accurate there.

Strormer
2011-11-01, 03:26 PM
Bloodshine, midget-friend
Gleam, slayer of oversized fellows
Ankyl Baightr

Flickerdart
2011-11-01, 03:58 PM
Your sword seems to be missing a number of abilities an intelligent item is entitled to: the two lesser powers and the special power it can use while pursuing its special purpose. You've also calculated Ego wrong, as 13 is only a +1 modifier. It should have 1 (enhancement) + 2 (high abilities) + 4 (special purpose) + 2 (two lesser powers) +1 (special property) = 10 Ego. It should also get a chance to assert its dominance whenever any of your actions would conflict with its personality, not just once.

missmvicious
2011-11-01, 10:30 PM
Thanks every one for their suggestions.

I will look into the ego points, and I have been rolling will saves when it wants to slay giants. My will is just epic.

Also name of the names that were really long are gonna get used at witty one liners in combat.

<3

Grollub
2011-11-01, 11:50 PM

Name it Skittles and do this...

Zaq
2011-11-02, 01:51 AM
It's a rapier, so it's focused on quick strikes rather than ponderous blows, right? Name it Dash. This opens the door to all kinds of punctuation jokes, too, if you're into that sort of thing.

missmvicious
2011-11-02, 02:25 AM
It's a rapier, so it's focused on quick strikes rather than ponderous blows, right? Name it Dash. This opens the door to all kinds of punctuation jokes, too, if you're into that sort of thing.

She is a pixie bard, of course she is into making punctuation jokes

Zaq
2011-11-02, 02:39 AM
She is a pixie bard, of course she is into making punctuation jokes

Perfect. Name it Dash, punctuate your combat with such jokes, tear your foes a new colon, and leave them in a comma.

playswithfire
2011-11-02, 04:25 PM
Ozdyolf

Because I like a convoluted free association for naming things.
Rainbow -> Dark Side of the Rainbow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Rainbow) -> Wizard of Oz + Pink Floyd (backwards)

sirpercival
2011-11-02, 05:57 PM
Call it Lucy, then make MBR*.

*Many Beatles References

Anderlith
2011-11-02, 06:20 PM
Thorn-in-the-Lion's-Paw

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-02, 06:22 PM
Name it Rush. Make Megaman jokes.

Metahuman1
2011-11-02, 07:03 PM
If you name it Dash, Cast Haste on yourself and Make Pony References.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-02, 07:38 PM
If you name it Dash, Cast Haste on yourself and Make Pony References.

...Name it Rainbow Dash.

RAINBOW DASH! :smallbiggrin:

missmvicious
2011-11-02, 11:16 PM
Call it Lucy, then make MBR*.

*Many Beatles References

But my character's name is Luci (with a heart as the i)

...Name it Rainbow Dash.

RAINBOW DASH!

I saw what you did there but I gotta say on MLP I find Rainbow Dash to be a bit annoying. I'm kinda diggin Rarity and Applejack

Diefje
2011-11-02, 11:31 PM
I'm so sorry... Terrible jokes spoilered...

"What is long and hard and Sprays you in the face?" When drawn, bonus point for "oh yeah, you like that, you dirty little X" when casting it

Willy the Wonderous Wiggly Weapon! Feel free to add more W adjectives.