PDA

View Full Version : Scientists plan to probe Uranus

Keld Denar
2011-11-01, 02:06 AM
Its true! (http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2011/0107/Scientists-plan-Uranus-probe)

And now for some highlights!

It would give scientists their first close-up views of Uranus

Uranus <snip> also has the most powerful wind

Astronomers believe this was caused when Uranus was given a mighty whack

We’ve only really scratched the surface of Uranus
and also

It is very difficult to observe from Earth because any detail is smeared out
Really?

Uranus is ripe

When you go to Uranus <snip> there is a lot more <snip> methane.
Must be that strong wind breaking across the surface...

One of the big mysteries about Uranus is that it doesn’t emit much heat at all
that goes with

Because there is so little heat coming from inside Uranus

the vast distance to Uranus

There, my inner 6 year old is satisfied! All I can say is: Did nobody proofread this thing?

Ravens_cry
2011-11-01, 02:13 AM
"Astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all."
"Oh, what's it called now?"
"Urectum."
Quoting, Futurama aside, sniping and quote mining hardly "proves" incompetence in editing. Yes, there is methane in the planet Uranus, in fact there is in all the gas giants.

thubby
2011-11-01, 02:43 AM
really?
i mean, THATS the joke you're going with?

Heliomance
2011-11-01, 05:08 AM
This is why I (and, I believe, much of the non-puerile population of Britland) put the stress on the first syllable, pronouncing it YOOR-un-ous, as opposed to yoor-ANE-ous.

Of course, the original pronunciation will have been closer to oor-RAN-oss, so meh.

grimbold
2011-11-01, 08:27 AM
imo
the article is telling the truth but all those puns you found are intentional
otherwise it is just TOO silly :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2011-11-01, 08:29 AM
I think people did proofread it, but there's not many other ways to say these things. The planet is named Uranus, and people are gonna make jokes about it, you can't just try to work around that with every single sentence. Have you ever tried it? I have, and I tell you, it's not easy. >.o

AtlanteanTroll
2011-11-01, 08:33 AM
Quoting, Futurama aside, sniping and quote mining hardly "proves" incompetence in editing. Yes, there is methane in the planet Uranus, in fact there is in all the gas giants.

I think he meant proofreading for innuendo, not for technical mistakes. :smalltongue:

Gullintanni
2011-11-01, 08:35 AM
Its true! (http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2011/0107/Scientists-plan-Uranus-probe)

There, my inner 6 year old is satisfied! All I can say is: Did nobody proofread this thing?

I hope you feel dirty :smalltongue:

Sipex
2011-11-01, 09:19 AM
Hell, if I wrote the article I'd go for as many innuendos as possible. It's not everyday we're talking about probing Uranus.

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-01, 10:17 AM
Doesn't this make us the aliens from outer space obsessed with sending out Uranal Probes?

golentan
2011-11-01, 10:53 AM
This is why I (and, I believe, much of the non-puerile population of Britland) put the stress on the first syllable, pronouncing it YOOR-un-ous, as opposed to yoor-ANE-ous.

Of course, the original pronunciation will have been closer to oor-RAN-oss, so meh.

To paraphrase my favorite book ever: "There's no right way to pronounce Uranus. Depending on where you put the accent, it either comes out Your-anus or Urine-us."

Kneenibble
2011-11-01, 12:08 PM
Although to be true to its [reconstructed] Greek pronunciation, the first diphthong rhymes with the French diphthong -ou- (c.f. English word "tour"), the r is a rhotic trill, and the stress is on the last syllable.

[/funruiner]

Heliomance
2011-11-01, 01:07 PM
Huh. I knew about the first syllable, but I didn't think the stress would be that late. Oor-ran-OSS then?

Ravens_cry
2011-11-01, 02:43 PM
I think he meant proofreading for innuendo, not for technical mistakes. :smalltongue:
If you have to quote mine and clip for innuendo, than it is hardly innuendo. Besides, there was probably some intentionality to the innuendo, it grabs your attention after all.

Keld Denar
2011-11-01, 03:00 PM
I didn't clip THAT much for innuendo. I removed some minor language that didn't fit, but the only one I really trimmed down was the methane one. It still said what I quoted, just with more words, included Neptune, and refered to other substances like ice. Really, that one was probably a stretch, but the one about images of Uranus being smeared? Thats a direct quote. I didn't have to crop that hard to mine some real gems from Uranus.

Kneenibble
2011-11-01, 03:18 PM
Huh. I knew about the first syllable, but I didn't think the stress would be that late. Oor-ran-OSS then?
Yeah.

In the nominative at least. I forget how the terminal vowel length of other cases would affect the placement of the accent.

It's easiest to stress Uranus on the end, anyways.

Howler Dagger
2011-11-01, 05:19 PM

in other words, urine-ous? Somehow, my inner 6 year old finds that only slightly less amusing. Maybe they sheld change it to Oranos, or some other spelling of Uranus, just to remove some inuuendos.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-01, 06:50 PM
Well, I can certainly see we're handling this topic in a mature manner and not making any sort of childish jokes about a very scientific venture.

H Birchgrove
2011-11-01, 07:30 PM
Well, I can certainly see we're handling this topic in a mature manner and not making any sort of childish jokes about a very scientific venture.

I hope we one day will send manned expeditions to Uranus moons. If you don't get the innuendo in this, I'm disapoint.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-01, 07:54 PM
I hope we one day will send manned expeditions to Uranus moons. If you don't get the innuendo in this, I'm disapoint.

No, no, please, be less subtle.:smallwink:

Blisstake
2011-11-01, 09:15 PM

It was probably intentional. Who says scientists can't have fun, too?

Fri
2011-11-02, 02:28 AM
To paraphrase my favorite book ever: "There's no right way to pronounce Uranus. Depending on where you put the accent, it either comes out Your-anus or Urine-us."

Woah woah wait. Is this book John Varley's The Golden Globe?

kamikasei
2011-11-02, 07:42 AM
Really, Commander? (www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6rtQ0-ez4g)

grimbold
2011-11-02, 11:52 AM
this is definitely true
some of my science research papers are the silliest things i've ever written.

golentan
2011-11-02, 01:08 PM
Woah woah wait. Is this book John Varley's The Golden Globe?

Yes. Yes it is. And it is wonderful.

Scarlet Knight
2011-11-02, 08:32 PM

It's a rule. Don't they teach anything at colleges today?

Qaera
2011-11-03, 05:16 PM
My symbol is happy to see this news. :smallbiggrin:

~ ♅