PDA

View Full Version : The Dogs of War [IC]

Gnorman
2011-11-01, 03:07 AM
Ianos 22nd - 1127 A.U.C. Dusk.

A light snow falls on the dirty cobblestone streets, glinting softly in the declining light. The bustle of the market is dying down, and the few merchants still braving the weather have given up on hawking their goods and begun packing up their stalls. Pilgrims with their hoods drawn up against the cold trudge along the worn path up the hill towards the temple of Libera - some show the telltale signs of leprosy and disease beneath their robes, though they do their best to hide the sores. Traffic is slow, but steady, and the lanterns in the steeple still burn bright despite the fading light. A off-duty legionary stumbles out of a tavern, hair cropped short in a military style and obviously drunk off the special local honey wine. Five figures, each with separate paths and agendas (though some are intertwined), find themselves in the town square, their breath condensing in the air and frost crystals forming on their face and clothes. Were it not for what is about to happen, one would consider the moment... peaceful.

The twilight reverie is broken by a sharp shout from a watchtower on the eastern wall, by the ancillary gate into the city.

SOUND THE ALARUM!

A clamor of shouting and pounding metal arises, as the local militia scrambles to take up arms and ready themselves for whatever threat is on the way. They are blinded momentarily as a second sun rises swiftly into the sky, briefly illuminating the town with a fiery glow before it smashes into the temple's steeple, crushing the brick and mortar and sending it scattering to the path below. Pilgrims scatter, screaming, while the unlucky among them are crushed by the falling foundation or seared by the flaming pitch now clinging to the shattered shrine. Smaller orbs of fire follow the first, raining down a hellish hail on the town's thatched roofs and streets. Pilgrims are no longer the only ones to suffer, as the townspeople frantically free towards the west, out of the path of the infernal siege.

In the town square, five figures stand and watch the flames lick at the sides of the buildings, their path towards the west cut off by a circle of rubble and flame. Recruits and legionaries hustle past them, fear plain on their faces, their knuckles white on their weapons. Off in the distance, to the east, the pounding sound of hoofbeats can be heard.

stack
2011-11-01, 07:16 AM
Maximus, Changeling Zealot (Templar)

Oroos is here, good. Hope he doesn't think I'm checking up on him. I am, but I rather he not think that I have my doubts. Interesting mechanical in the courtyard...with another next to it. Interesting times in the empire. Wonder where all this technology will lead? Will it make us better or worse? Probably neither, people will be people, unfortunately.

He cringes momentarily away from the fiery projectile, then quickly collects himself, not letting his studiously average face slip. Abandoning his idle musings, he unconsciously runs his hands over his weapons and armor as he sees the guards and legionaries rush to the towns defense. Not my fight...not anymore. I'm out of the Praetorians. But these people may need help...may as well take a look.

He claps the fiendkin on the shoulder. "Ooros, good to see you again. Afraid I may have to take a look at this. Meet you at that tavern later?" He poitns to a nearby building before turning away.

He pushes back his cloak, revealing the segmented armor common to the better equipped legions and follows the men heading toward the disturbance. He draws his rhomphaia, the sparse torchlight gleaming off its curved edge. No one will mind an extra blade.

Iceforge
2011-11-01, 10:36 AM
Oroos, Fiendkin Sage (Occultist)

"How did I end up here with this lot? Oh, thats Maximus, a welcome sight always, and that female guard who..

Instantly removed from his pondering of the situation as he got blinded by the overwhelming sudden appearance of a ball of light raising up swiftly, bright as a sun. Oroos was not yet done coughing from the mixture of ash and smoke that filled the air, when he felt a hand on his shoulder, only to look up into Maximus' eyes.

Oroos listened to Maximus' suggestion and momentarily looked over at the tavern.

That would be a nice place to escape this chaos, be safe and maybe even get some cleaner air

He looked back again, the shade of Maximus starting to disappear out into the distance "Ah, cursed be this chaos, but I got to go with him" Oroos muttered, mostly to himself, but still audiable enough for anyone else around to hear, before he started to run as fast as he could, intending to catch up with Maximus if at all possible

"Maximus, wait for me!" Oroos yelled loudly, his voice trembling slightly with fear. Don't dare think of me as useless nor a coward, I might be scared, but I won't run off and hide!

Mangles
2011-11-01, 06:18 PM
Doc

Doc looks down at his son, as the fire consumes the buildings to the west. At least they were safer than the fleshlings. They broke so easily and needed so much repair when they did. Glad of his son's tenacity he sighs and broadens his shoulders. Best he try and keep as many fleshlings from dying as possible. If he was ever to work out the secrets of procreation he would need help.

"Come on son, we have work to do."

Doc begins a run towards the ensuing battle.

"Remember son, incapacitate first. Kill only if needed. Its morally correct. Acknowledge command."

"Command acknowledged."

The_Admiral
2011-11-02, 10:12 AM
Nelson drunkenly stumbles back to his room with a cup of wine in his hand. Stopping he sees the fireballs and say's Did I do that?

Lord Ruby34
2011-11-02, 04:38 PM
Mailanna recoiled at the flash. What was that! The temple was gone, and in an instant Mai knew that her life would change again. This time though, she wouldn't run. She had a duty to do, and the last remnant of her people was counting on her. She strung her bow and dashed toward the battle.

Though she didn't feel the cold, Mai felt a terrible chill run through her body. This assault was very, very wrong.

Gnorman
2011-11-03, 02:36 AM
Stepping lightly through the charred rubble and the smoke and ash quickly thickening the air, a few brave figures make their way towards the eastern gate of the city. When they reach it, they find a mass of legionaries, mostly young recruits nervous about what is to come. One grizzled veteran missing his left arm barks orders at them, and they hesitantly comply. A group of them begins to hoist up spiked fences and barricades, aiming them away from the city in the hopes of impaling invaders, while others hurriedly pass out longbows and take up positions along the turrets and ramparts of the stone wall.

Past the few fields and stables that line the dirt road leading out of the city, the dark forest looms. Local rumor holds that the forest is haunted by violent, wrathful spirits, though the few hunters that brave its depths report nothing but skittish game. At the tree line, about three hundreds yards to the east, the sound of drums begins, a steady rhythmic beat. As the earth beneath their feet pounds and vibrates in time, the assembled militia start to realize that the drums are not the only sounds echoing in from the east.

stack
2011-11-03, 07:22 AM
Maximus looks out to the forest line. He goings suite and sheathes his blade, stringing his bow with practiced speed, holding an arrow loosely in his fingers. He looks over the the assembled youths, barely trained and shaking in their armor. "Stand firm. The empire has broken the strength of many invaders. These will not be the first, nor the last. We will show them the benefits of civilization." He pats the hilt extending past his shoulder.

Mangles
2011-11-03, 04:27 PM
Doc wasn't very good at repairing fleshlings. Not like some of his brothers had been. It was amazing what they could do with flesh. Doc had studied healing his own kind instead. Looking at the fleshlings around him, Doc almost wished he had learnt the medicines that they knew.

"Stand ready son, The drums are drawing nearer. Stick close to me and be ready to defend yourself."

The_Admiral
2011-11-06, 09:56 AM
Opening one eye from his fallen position Nelson says Damm this invasion will put a bugger in my plan. Ah well might as well do some damage control. He then retrieve's his weapons from his room and goes towards the gate.

Lord Ruby34
2011-11-06, 05:58 PM
Mai stopped at the city wall. The soldier next to her seemed to be a commander of some kind, by the way he tried to reassure the troops. Mai knew better. This assault wouldn't be turned back easily. She took a deep breath and knocked an arrow to her bow.

This was very wrong.

Gnorman
2011-11-07, 06:12 AM
As the drums beat their sinister rhythm, as the echo crashes against the city walls and shakes the cobblestones, a lone rider breaks through the treeline. Riding towards the city, the figure comes into view, stark against the waxing twilight. The figure is tall and broad-shouldered, and supported against his frame is a massive suit of armor, burnished to a sheen but painted pitch black. The horse, a large black roan similarly armored, does not seem to struggle even slightly against the weight.

The assembled militia watches in awe and allow the rider to approach unmolested.

Lord Drojan approaches. He offers you the courtesy of surrender. Accept, and you will have the honor of serving his eminence and Drojan will spare this town. Who amongst you will accept the surrender?

I will answer Drojan's request, emissary.

The voice belongs to the grizzled legionary with the missing left arm. He steps forward to meet the rider, barely reaching the roan's shoulders. With one quick motion, he unsheathes his short sword with his remaining arm and deftly slits the horse's throat. The horse rears up, spraying the legionary with steaming lifeblood. The rider stumbles off his dying mount and scrambles to his feet. Panicked, he reaches for the axe strapped to his back and manages to bring it to bear before the legionary falls upon him. Before long, a stilted dance of steel ensues, each combatant evenly matched - the legionary with the benefit of experience and unencumbered by armor, but the rider with an obvious advantage in strength and armament.

Mangles
2011-11-07, 08:12 AM
"It seems the fleshlings are not attempting diplomacy on this one. Guess we should pick a side, hey son. Decisiveness is considered a virtue. Mark city militia and defenders as friendlies, designate foes and attack those that I do. Acknowledge command.

"Command acknowledged."

"Good. First foe is infront of us. Try and trip him and maybe we won't have to spill the first blood. Mercy is considered a virtue."

Both Doc and his son move towards the emissary. Doc draws his mace and buckler. Crunck simply moves in, his short size enabling him to attack the targets knees easily. Neither attacks just yet.

stack
2011-11-07, 08:20 AM
Maximus

Maximus watches, stifling a snort. Imperial diplomacy at its finest. Well, it will be a fight then. Never doubted. Too late to do anything for him, hope he wins though, should shake the invaders confidence to see their champion fall. Not worth abandoning the fortifications though, only advantage we have. Only a fool would try to engage a superior opponent, mounted, from on foot in an open field.

He keeps his bow ready, waiting for the inevitable.

What are those Cogs doing?

The_Admiral
2011-11-07, 08:52 AM
Nelson arrives at the site of the duel. Seeing what was going on, he draws his pistol and loads it.

Lord Ruby34
2011-11-07, 04:32 PM
Mai exhaled slowly and drew back her bow. She would only need one second for a clear shot.

OOC:
I'll ready an action to shoot the emissary if he disengages from melee.

Gnorman
2011-11-10, 08:20 AM
The fight drags on for a couple of minutes, each combatant evenly matched in skill and speed - for every sluggish movement that bogs the black rider down, the age of the legionary offers a faulty step, a creaking joint that bore too many winters. The rider, however, does not seem to tire, and eventually the battle ends as the rider's axe buries itself in the legionary's shoulder, down nearly to the sternum. The legionary struggles for a moment, coughs up a mouthful of viscous blood and sinks down to the ground, dead.

The rider turns towards Maximus and steps forward, as if challenging him to try his luck.

I have defeated your champion already. Do you offer another? Perhaps that slip of an elf girl over there, she seems like she'd be a sporting opponent? I hear that elf necks snap like the twigs they carve their bows from. Care to test the theory? Or perhaps the metal men? I do not discriminate based on size, I will dismember the little one or the big one.

Mangles
2011-11-10, 08:47 AM
"Your willing to threaten women and children, and fight the old and weary. Demand to seek another champion after you have shaken their courage. Truly you are a coward. Unless someone among us seeks retribution I think we are safe to assume you can rejoin your army."

Doc turns to his son. "Cowardliness is a vice."

stack
2011-11-10, 08:51 AM
Maximus

"I challenge you. If you fall, your army leaves this place in peace. I fall, the town submits. Honorable single combat. What say you?" I doubt this town could stand against them all, not when they have already broken the wall. They may not honor the agreement, but it is our best chance.

He casts down his bow and draws his rhomphaia, knuckles white on the hilt, steel in his eyes. His whole face seems to loosen, distorting slightly as his focus goes entirely to the task at hand.

initiative if needed [roll0]

So, how wounded is this guy?

The_Admiral
2011-11-10, 10:41 AM
Passing Maximus, Nelson say's Good luck buddy.. then walking off into the ranks of guardians for the town, he slides up to the Captain Of The Guard and say's I've got a plan to turn the table just in case that man looses but to do that I need a few of your best shooters.
OOC
I use Inspire Courage on you good luck *gulp* make the most of it and if you fail well I've got a plan to finish their champion.
What I do there
I recruit a few good archers and/or crossbowmen to move to a good vantage point and kill the guy in the armour if Maximus looses. I'm not very honourable

Lord Ruby34
2011-11-10, 03:53 PM
As soon as the legionary fell Mailanna loosed, and knocked again.

Do note that I already had a readied action to shoot the guy, so I fired right after the one armed dude died, so this would be before his challenge, or Maximus accepted.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Gnorman
2011-11-15, 01:22 AM
RETCON

Immediately upon driving his axe into the legionary's shoulder, the rider is instantly struck in the back by an arrow. He jolts forward, stumbling into the fresh corpse he has just created. He wheels around, anger burning clearly in what little can be seen of his eyes.

You've just dug your own grave, elf, not to mention sealed the fate of this town.

The rider lets out an unearthly howl that reverberates in the ears of all around, and echos off the hillsides. The howl is returned a hundredfold from the woods, and the drums begin again, louder and louder, but also... moving. Closer.

Initiative Order:
Oroos
Maximus
Enemies
Mailanna
Nelson
Doc

The_Admiral
2011-11-15, 02:40 AM
Nelson say's ****!. Turning to the captain, he say's are there any plans for the defense of this town?

stack
2011-11-15, 09:53 AM
Maximus

Seeing the arrow strike and hearing the warriors call, Maximus is disgusted. We had a chance, I could have stopped them, perhaps, with one single combat. Now the town is certain to be attacked. Can these few stop it? Nothing left but to fight.

He charges forward, making use of the momentary distraction to strike, hoping still to demoralize the attackers by slaying their champion. His rhomphaia swings down in a deadly arc...

charge (assuming he starts 10'+ away, but within 40')
attack [roll0] (includes +2 from charge)
damage [roll1]
Crit if needed [roll2] (includes +2 from charge)
damage [roll3]

Gnorman
2011-11-16, 08:45 PM
... and misses, with the rider managing to clumsily stumble out of the way of the ungainly swing. Taking advantage of Maximus' overextension, he twists his body and brings his axe down to bear, hoping to decapitate Maximus with one fell strike.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The_Admiral
2011-11-16, 10:04 PM
Nelson say's That's it screw this, running over to flank the rider.
stack, you still have a +1 to attack and damage
[roll0]
[roll1]

Lord Ruby34
2011-11-16, 10:37 PM
Mai knocked another arrow, but held her shot. The soldier from before was in the way. If I was given another shot I could take him out.
She quickly scanned for another target.

OOC:
I'll ready an action to shot the next hostile target I can find that's out of melee with my allies.

[roll0]
[roll1]

stack
2011-11-16, 10:58 PM
Maximus reels from the blow, then quickly recovers, swinging again at the armored figure. Cannot afford many more like that. Need to end this quickly.

attack [roll0] +2 more for flanking
damage [roll1]

Cpt Obvious, what +1/+1?

Mangles
2011-11-17, 12:28 AM
Both Doc and his son move in with precision readying their attacks to follow one another. They make sure that they are flanking with the other combatants before making their strike. Crunk follows his fathers orders and tries to trip the champion.

Doc's attack: Masterwork Morningstar: [roll0] for [roll1]
Crunk's attack: Slam: [roll2] for [roll3] and trip DC: [roll4]

Iceforge
2011-11-17, 12:21 PM
Their knight has to die, before Maximus is seriously injured. Oroos thought to himself as he started to weave his hands and spoke a few dark words to utilize some of the dark energy he had learned

Sickening Eldritch Spear Blast, 250ft range
Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Target must make DC14 fortitude save or become sickened for 1 minut

Gnorman
2011-11-18, 05:52 AM
The battle begins clumsily, with each combatant slowly finding their feet. Though the rider is quickly surrounded, he proves an adept defender - he is able to deftly parry both the blow from Maximus and Doc, and Nelson's attack merely glances off his shoulder plate. He is not, however, quite so lucky with Oroos' fell energies, which catch him full on in the chest and force him to pause, allowing Crunk to catch him off-guard. The miniature warrior is able to land a solid blow with one of his fists, causing him to momentarily falter, but not quite lose his footing. Using the momentum from his stumble, the rider is able to wheel around and swing sideways with his axe at Maximus, who, surprised by the sudden recovery, is not able to quite move out of the way in time. The blow crunches against his armor plating against his thigh and bites deep into both metal and flesh, drawing blood.

Over the crest of the hill, against the tree line, the flicker of distant torches can be seen.

Maximus
You take 7 damage (surprisingly, the lowest roll possible!), and must make a DC 14 Fortitude save or be sickened for one round.

stack
2011-11-18, 08:23 AM
Fort save [roll0]

Maximus struggles to remain upright under the continued assault. He grits his teeth and glares at his foe as he digs deep into his reserves of strength to wrench his blade up, trying to catch his foe off guard as he forcing down a sick feeling, his breakfast trying to crawl back to visit. "You will not be rid of me so easily, barbarian. Even if I fall, civilization will crush you. The empire will endure, first ravaging, then consuming your people, until you are like us, peaceful citizens who only seek to live their lives, threatened by a new wave of savages, to be crushed in their turn."

attack [roll1] +2 flanking
damage [roll2]

I'll edit in penalties if the save fails.

Mangles
2011-11-18, 03:31 PM
"My skills are wasted on this guy. The main force will arrive soon and we will need to prepare." Both the Cog's attack again.

See OOC for rolls.

The_Admiral
2011-11-21, 03:57 AM
Jumping around, Nelson takes another slash at the champion.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Lord Ruby34
2011-11-21, 06:20 PM
Mai kept her arrow knocked.

Gnorman
2011-11-23, 12:17 AM
The multiple distractions teeming around the rider begin to take their toll - though his efforts to dodge the pair of mechanical fighters and the would-be gentleman thief's rapier are successful, they leave him open to a brutal strike from Maximus' rhomphaia. The thick blade finds purchase in the rider's side, splitting his armor wide from waist to shoulder with a resounding crack. The blade bites deep into his abdomen and black, viscous blood begins to run out, the rider's life ebbing away. He falters and falls to a knee, but manages to stand up again. With a primal, guttural scream, he rushes at Maximus, bringing his axe down in a wide diagonal arc. Fortunately, the wound has slowed his reactions somewhat, giving Maximus the split second he needs to weave out of the way, the axe singing through the air where only a short moment ago his neck had been exposed.

stack
2011-11-23, 08:13 AM
Maximus steps to the side and swings his blade around, arcing over his head and down to his assailant, seeking the neck. Let us end this now.

Black blood means hordeling?

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Mangles
2011-11-23, 04:01 PM
"This one is soon to be finished. The horde we will have to deal with." Doc and his son both attack once again.

Doc's attack: Masterwork Morningstar: [roll0] for [roll1]
Crunk's attack: Slam: [roll2] for [roll3] and trip DC: [roll4]

Black blood means evil, just like a twirly moustache means you want to tie girls to railway tracks.

Gnorman
2011-11-29, 08:52 AM
The mechanical men and the armor-plated paladin's attacks both come up short, each missing by a wide margin. Though the rider is able to evade such clumsy swings, it is clear that the wound in his side is sapping his strength. Eventually, the strain is too much, and he falls to one knee.

Enough! I yield. My brothers will be here soon enough, and they will avenge my death. If any of you worms have any courage or honor, you'll finish this right now and spare my brothers the sight of my defeat.

His hands, now trembling noticeably from blood loss, make their way towards his helmet. He fumbles with the straps, but manages to remove it. The face underneath is heavily scarred, both from fire and blade, ritualistic markers whose significance is lost on the collected group. His skin, perhaps flushed due to exertion, is bright red, and vestigial horns jut forth from his temples, curving downwards in a small arc.

Do it. Kill me!

He bows his head and bares his neck, preparing for the forthcoming blow.

stack
2011-11-29, 08:57 AM
"You fought well, though your cause is evil. I will strike true, you will die with your honor." They large sword rises as Maximus nods to his foe, then arcs down, separating head from body.

After quickly swiping his blade clean, he looks around. "If anyone can aid me with my wounds, I would be grateful. I expect there will be more before the day is done."

Do I even need to roll for the coup de grace? I figure we can just let it go cinematicly. Also, down to 7 HP from 22, so MEDIC!

Mangles
2011-11-29, 03:35 PM
"I'm sorry friend, though I am a healer its not of your kind. Mayhaps one of our companions."

Doc doesn't wait around for a reply, he starts heading fir whatever passes as the outer wall. Hoping to get some height on the incoming horde. He takes the champions head with him.

"Strategy in a fight can win against insurmountable odds. Fighting smart is often better than fighting hard. Remember that son."

The_Admiral
2011-12-04, 05:28 AM
Nelson says Finish him I've got an Idea. He then leaves the area towards the town hall.
The plan? Hell I'm desperate enough get a slapdash millitia formed. This town is a border town and that means that the people here are armed to the brim.

Mangles
2011-12-04, 06:36 AM
Doc waits till the first of the attacking enemy is within 30 feet and lobs Knock-Out Gas into their midst.

readying a range attack against the ground at 35 feet distance when enemy come into range at 30 feet.
[roll0] vs AC of 5.

Gnorman
2011-12-08, 09:00 AM
Doc & Maximus

The trio, two mechanical and one metallic, stand awaiting the burgeoning horde that awaits them. The first push is not quite as epic as it had once sounded - from beyond the trees comes a group of five riders, each on a black roan as hefty as the next. They, too, carry long-handled axes, but are not armored - were it not for a loincloth haphazardly wrapped around them, they'd be naked as they day they were spawned.

But Doc is ready for them - his careful aim with a vial of noxious gas catches the first three riders as they approach the wall. Their horses fall, to a one, to the ground, throwing their riders. Only one manages to stagger up from the ground, the other two prone and unmoving on the ground. The other two manage to steer their mounts away from the cloud, and begin to circle Maximus in front of the gates.

Nelson

A quick sweep of the town reveals a lifeless ruin - embers burn in the remains of shattered buildings, but whatever people were once here have long since fled. The only signs of human inhabitants now are the occasional crushed or burned corpse.

stack
2011-12-08, 09:51 AM
Maximus

"You champion has fallen. You will not take this town. Flee with your lives." As he finishes speaking, he flourishes his blade, then springs forward to strike one of the circling riders.

charge if in range, otherwise ready an action to attack if they close. 20' move gives a 40' charge.

attack [roll0] (includes charge, no misc bonuses)
damage [roll1]
AC 15 from charge, HP 7! No one has any healing?