PDA

View Full Version : instantaneous duration/range greater than touch

leegi0n
2011-11-01, 07:34 AM
greetings all,

I'm building a hobgoblin ray wizard:

rogue3/wizard5/incantrix1/spellwarp sniper5 (CR14 or so)

Gear:
Amulet of Health(4)
Gloves of Dex(2)
Ring of Nat Armor(4)
Ioun Stone(2 to wis)

couple of questions:

1. Any recommendations for this build? pros/cons?

2. Does anyone have a list of spells that fit the descriptor (spells with an instantaneous duration and a range greater than touch) - i.e., the spells that a spellwarp sniper excels with.

Thanks in advance.

The Underlord
2011-11-01, 07:46 AM
Why hobgoblin? A (Silverbrow) HUman would be much better for the extra feat.
Why rogue? Those levels would be better in Incantrix or just straight wizard. All you get is sneak attack 2d6, so unless you are trying to qualify for arcane trickster(IS it a spellwarp sniper pre-requisete? I dont know too much about it),you dont really get much from it.
Why an Ioun stone to wisdom? What you really need at 14th level is a +4 or +6(AFB so I cant check WBL charts) to intelligence item.
If you can dodge the inevitable books that will be thrown at you, MIC gives the formula for a magic item of contiuous divine power(the cleric spell). The up in base attack bonus would help.

leegi0n
2011-11-01, 07:57 AM
Why hobgoblin? A (Silverbrow) HUman would be much better for the extra feat.
Why rogue? Those levels would be better in Incantrix or just straight wizard. All you get is sneak attack 2d6, so unless you are trying to qualify for arcane trickster(IS it a spellwarp sniper pre-requisete? I dont know too much about it),you dont really get much from it.
Why an Ioun stone to wisdom? What you really need at 14th level is a +4 or +6(AFB so I cant check WBL charts) to intelligence item.
If you can dodge the inevitable books that will be thrown at you, MIC gives the formula for a magic item of contiuous divine power(the cleric spell). The up in base attack bonus would help.

Never heard of "Silverbrow" Human.

The prereq.'s for Spellwarp Sniper are:
Entry Requirements
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks.
Feat: Point Blank Shot.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd-level spells.
Special: Sneak attack or sudden strike +1d6.

so, if I'm not mistaken, I either need to take a level in rogue or ninja to get the special requirement.

I got the Ioun stone to buff the Will save. Intelligence is a 20.

The Underlord
2011-11-01, 08:06 AM
Your will save should already be high enough(since you have a good will save). But one thing is that, as a wizard, your int cant be high enough. You are SAD(single attribute dependent). All you really neeed in int, and some dex for rays, but touch attacks are trivial at your level.

A silverbrow human is a human, but instead of skill points, he gets the dragonblooded-subtype, which opens lots of options like the feat practical metamagic, which reduces all metamagic costs by 1(which is very valuable). You still get the bonus feat. I think is in dragon magic, but I am not sure.

The prereq.'s for Spellwarp Sniper are:
Entry Requirements
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks.
Feat: Point Blank Shot.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd-level spells.
Special: Sneak attack or sudden strike +1d6.

Drop the extra levels in rogue. The first levels is nice if you are a human with the able learner feat(8+int mod skills and able learner makes cross-class skills cost only 1 rank), but the extra sneak attacak is not worth a spell level.

leegi0n
2011-11-01, 08:28 AM
Your will save should already be high enough(since you have a good will save). But one thing is that, as a wizard, your int cant be high enough. You are SAD(single attribute dependent). All you really neeed in int, and some dex for rays, but touch attacks are trivial at your level.

A silverbrow human is a human, but instead of skill points, he gets the dragonblooded-subtype, which opens lots of options like the feat practical metamagic, which reduces all metamagic costs by 1(which is very valuable). You still get the bonus feat. I think is in dragon magic, but I am not sure.

Drop the extra levels in rogue. The first levels is nice if you are a human with the able learner feat(8+int mod skills and able learner makes cross-class skills cost only 1 rank), but the extra sneak attacak is not worth a spell level.

I'm gonna keep the hobgoblin setup for the simple fact that it fits the current story I'm running. It's a goblinoid environment, deep in zee ground. Good point about the SAD thing. I'm gonna scrap the wisdom buffing Ioun stone and replace it with an intelligence booster. Additionally, I'm gonna trash the extra two levels of rogue and dump them into wizard, unless you can think of a different class that would benefit from 2 levels.

leegi0n
2011-11-01, 08:49 AM
Will someone stat me a relative build for this please?

OR, if a comprehensive list of 'instantaneous duration/range greater than touch' spells exists, please tell me where I can find it.