PDA

View Full Version : Spells without damage caps

Yorae
2011-11-01, 10:35 AM
I'm working on a character for our next campaign for one of the other players in my group and she gets several CL increasing effects from her classes and I was hoping to make good use of them by finding spells with no caps on the number of dice they can deal. (Or otherwise some way of exceeding that cap.)

I know Maw of Chaos has no cap and I've found that Channeled Sound Blast (CM) is uncapped as well. Wings of Flurry does, but the character in question isn't a sorcerer. What other gems like this are out there?

Preference towards spells that deal energy damage, since the character is focused on Energy Sub(Electric) -> Born of the Three Thunders, but if necessary we can get around that by admixing electric.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-01, 10:47 AM
IIRC you can break any spell cap with a feat from Dragonlance Campaign setting... Reserves of strength or something like that.

sirpercival
2011-11-01, 10:50 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191125

Yorae
2011-11-01, 09:41 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191125

Thanks for the reference - that thread is very old though; posting in it will just get it locked.

Godskook
2011-11-02, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the reference - that thread is very old though; posting in it will just get it locked.

Its already locked, which means its totally fine to post to it.

faceroll
2011-11-02, 05:26 AM
Its already locked, which means its totally fine to post to it.

It actually means the opposite.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-02, 05:27 AM
It means it's fine to attempt to post in it. Success, on the other hand, isn't likely.

peacenlove
2011-11-02, 07:57 AM
Streamers from Unapprochable east (or some of the faerun region books, AFB ATM). Might have a damage cap, however it certainly can damage an opponent an unlimited number of times per round, depending on his actions.

EDIT: Wrong, see next post.

Cog
2011-11-02, 08:11 AM
...however it certainly can damage an opponent an unlimited number of times per round, depending on his actions.
"Certainly" is too strong a word, given the arguments over that spell. From the last time I summed it:

The problem with that is that the spell references the Readied Action rules. You get only one readied action per turn. IIRC, there's three readings of the spell:

1) Each streamer gets a readied action. There's no information given about readying a new action, so as soon as a streamer attacks it becomes useless.

2) Each streamer attacks as if it had readied an action. Since actions can be readied once per turn, each round of the spell's duration, the readied action resets.

3) Each streamer attacks as if it had readied an action, period - whether it's already made such an attack is irrelevant.

The first seems the most accurate to me, with the second close. I think the third is right out.

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-02, 08:18 AM
Why not rely on spells that don't need to deal damage? If we're talking about stupid high caster level shenanigans here, we might as well bring Blasphemy/Holy Word/Dictum/Word of Chaos into the discussion.

peacenlove
2011-11-02, 10:19 AM
"Certainly" is too strong a word, given the arguments over that spell. From the last time I summed it:

I was unaware of that and I stand corrected.

dextercorvia
2011-11-02, 10:32 AM
Hammer of Righteousness (BoED) -- basically a single target Wings of Flurry. Targets Fort instead of Ref, making it a Rogue killer. 3rd level Sanctified