PDA

View Full Version : What creature type are the Githyanki/Githzerai?

NineThePuma
2011-11-01, 01:46 PM
I think Humanoid, but I wanna double check...

Mooncrow
2011-11-01, 01:48 PM
Humanoid (Extraplanar)

Yuki Akuma
2011-11-01, 01:50 PM
They're Humanoids, yes. Otherwise, they wouldn't be useful to the Illithids, who can only breed properly using Humanoid hosts.

NineThePuma
2011-11-01, 01:51 PM
Interestingly, that means that if I wanna use Knowledge Devotion to get a bonus on them, I use Knowledge (Local).

Because, apparently, Evil Space Pirate Lizard People are local.

Zeta Kai
2011-11-01, 01:56 PM
Interestingly, that means that if I wanna use Knowledge Devotion to get a bonus on them, I use Knowledge (Local).

Yes, that's technically correct. But (there's always a But) an argument could be made that since they are Extraplanar, then you'd use Knowledge (the Planes) to learn more about them.

NineThePuma
2011-11-01, 02:01 PM
Which is why I'm investing skill ranks in both, but I found that to be particularly funny.

Thanks guys. GITP is the best.

T.G. Oskar
2011-11-01, 05:15 PM

Mweh?

"Evil" and "space pirate" fit very well the theme of the Githyanki. They're a bit more raiders than pirates, but they go on astral ships and whatnot (mostly because pirates serve no other than their captain or themselves, and Githyanki follow Vlaakith most of the time).

But..."lizards"? LIZARDS!? Both sides of the Gith lack traits that may define them as reptilian, in great ways owing to the lack of the reptilian subtype amongst them. In fact, they resemble somewhat more athletic and...you may say somewhat attractive green men (which are not little). They're true alien hominids, if you wish to explain it further.

But I refuse to consider them lizards. There's some resemblance to frogs, but frogs are amphibians; clearly different from any kind of lizard, even crocodiles and their kin.

Technically, but you'd have better luck with Knowledge (the Planes), since there's no local place related to the Astral Plane OR the Limbo. Given how Knowledge (local) was meant to be (you bought it separately for each area, much like how it works in Forgotten Realms), you could ID Githzerai with a Knowledge (local Zerth'Ad'Lun) check or a Knowledge (the Planes) check.

Here's a fun Knowledge (history) check you could pull with a DC 40 or higher: connect Halo to the Gith.

NineThePuma
2011-11-01, 06:10 PM
Illithid are either Forerunner or Flood, depending on perspective. The Evil Bug Aliens that the Illithids were fighting against could be interpreted as the Flood, and the Gith themselves are an analogy for the Grunts.

I was also under the impression that Gith lay eggs.

Big Fau
2011-11-01, 06:13 PM
Here's a fun Knowledge (history) check you could pull with a DC 40 or higher: connect Halo to the Gith.

That's easy: Eberron. No, seriously, check PGtE.