PDA

View Full Version : Can you fix magic arms with a craft weapon smith check?

missmvicious
2011-11-01, 02:13 PM
So in one of the games I am in (where I am a giant fighting pixie) a party member had his magic falchion sundered by a hill giant wereboar. That sword cost him 8,000 GP so he is one unhappy camper. He wants to try fixing it with a craft weapon smithing check. Can he do that? And if he can does it regain its magic power or does it just become a normal falcon?

Mooncrow
2011-11-01, 02:21 PM
So in one of the games I am in (where I am a giant fighting pixie) a party member had his magic falcon sundered by a hill giant wereboar. That sword cost him 8,000 GP so he is one unhappy camper. He wants to try fixing it with a craft weapon smithing check. Can he do that? And if he can does it regain its magic power or does it just become a normal falcon?

DMG 214:
"Magic items, unless otherwise noted, take damage as nonmagical
items of the same sort. A damaged magic item continues to
function, but if it is destroyed, all its magical power is lost."

"Some magic items (especially magic weapons and shields) take
damage over the course of an adventure. It costs no more to repair
a magic item with the Craft skill than it does to repair its nonmagical
counterpart. The make whole spell also repairs a damaged—but
not completely broken—magic item."

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-11-01, 02:29 PM
A damaged magic item continues to function, but if it is destroyed, all its magical power is lost. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#damagingMagicItems)

Some magic items take damage over the course of an adventure. It costs no more to repair a magic item with the Craft skill than it does to repair its nonmagical counterpart. The make whole spell also repairs a damaged—but not completely broken—magic item.

If his magical sword was destroyed, i.e. reduced to 0 HP, then all of its magical power was lost.

Some DMs may allow it to be reforged for half the price of replacing it. Thus you would need someone to make a Craft check, paying for materials costing half of what it originally took to craft the base weapon. Then you would need someone to follow the typical item creation process, paying half of what it cost to create that magic item initially. Thus for a +2 equivalent Falchion it would cost 62.5 gp for the Craft check process, with a Craft DC 20 same for any masterwork item, and a time based on a 187.5 gp base item. If an NPC does it he would probably charge you at least 187.5 gp for the job. Then someone with Craft Magic Arms and Armor who also meets all of that item's other prerequisites (able to cast Keen Edge if it was +1 Keen, etc.) would have to use 2,000 gp worth of materials and pay 160 gp to repair its magical properties, which would take four days. If an NPC is performing this then he would probably charge at least 4,000 gp for the job, and he may have to work you into his item crafting schedule.

Gnaeus
2011-11-01, 02:32 PM
That poor, poor Falcon. Did you swing it by the legs and hit things with the beak?