PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Candle of Invocation Abuse

Stone Heart
2011-11-01, 04:05 PM
So in an upcoming campaign, I have been approved to use the candle of invocation and Gate to get infinite wishes out of efreetis. I am going to be an oracle (not sure what mystery/curse yet, I was thinking maybe tongues for the curse) and I have already gotten the approval for using the wishes to get +5 to all ability scores, and polymorph any object myself into a medium Gold dragon (long enough before the campaign starts that I will have aged into a Great Wyrm, and gain all the benefits that come with it). We are level 20 for this campaign.

I have a lot of power already, but I know there is more that I just don't know about. What else can I use the infinite wishes for? Also I have never played a 20th level caster before, can I get some Advice on what spells to take? And any suggestions for what type of Oracle would be best?

TL;DR version
-What to do with infinite wishes
-What spells would be good for a 20th level oracle
-What curse/mystery should I use?

We are using only Pathfinder first party material, plus the psionics handbook from Dreamscarred Press.

Thanks in advance.

faceroll
2011-11-01, 05:50 PM
Infinite magic items of any price.

Aemoh87
2011-11-01, 05:53 PM
The key to abusing the Candle of Invocation is you actually have to use it! Failure to do so will result in failure of abuse.

Seriously though the worst levels in 3.X are 15+. They can be a bit of a drag. So I recommend focusing on the funny and the interesting to you instead of the powerful since combat should be a walk in a park downhill. I also recommend adding alot of flavor depth to your character so your only choices aren't which part of the world do I want to annihilate next. Also on the rare chance you ascend it's nice to have some level of humanity and duality so you make an interesting god.

So build to theme and canon not power, because this will be way more fun. Barbeque.

Chambers
2011-11-01, 09:23 PM
Did someone say infinite wishes? (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Wish_and_the_Word_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Bu ild)) (link to the Wish and the Word).

Khantin
2011-11-01, 11:45 PM
Infinite magic items of any price.

can't wish for items in pf.

edit: which would also remove the wishing for candles loop, but since his dm already approved it, it's sort of a null point.

Lord Vukodlak
2011-11-02, 12:43 AM
I'm looking at the candle of invocation and it simply says the respondent is of the same alignment as the candle. Even if you assume the freedom to pick the creature within the guidelines of that limitation.

The Gate spell gives you NO control or influence over the called creature. You want something from the called creature your required to give something to it.
Summon an Efreeti for wishes and he'll screw you with every single one of them. Because thats what his kind does.

Aegis013
2011-11-02, 01:06 AM
I'm looking at the candle of invocation and it simply says the respondent is of the same alignment as the candle. Even if you assume the freedom to pick the creature within the guidelines of that limitation.

The Gate spell gives you NO control or influence over the called creature. You want something from the called creature your required to give something to it.
Summon an Efreeti for wishes and he'll screw you with every single one of them. Because thats what his kind does.

That's less likely if not screwing you is in his best interests... because you'll obliterate the fabric of his existence if he fails to comply with your intent. He'll probably still want revenge, and may go freely offering wishes to your arch nemesis...etc. The short gain benefits can be great enough though.

Lord Vukodlak
2011-11-02, 01:10 AM
That's less likely if not screwing you is in his best interests... because you'll obliterate the fabric of his existence if he fails to comply with your intent. He'll probably still want revenge, and may go freely offering wishes to your arch nemesis...etc. The short gain benefits can be great enough though.

But he may also decided being obliterated is better then being your bitch. And the backfire could easily give him enough time to escape. Even the most basic wishes can be turned against you when someone else is casting the spell.
You might not even realize he screwed you over until he's long gone. Because they are called via gate they are given the one time ability to return home even if they don't normally possess such magic.

Aegis013
2011-11-02, 01:21 AM
But he may also decided being obliterated is better then being your bitch. And the backfire could easily give him enough time to escape. Even the most basic wishes can be turned against you when someone else is casting the spell.
You might not even realize he screwed you over until he's long gone.

True, but in this particular situation, it seems to be a moot point. The DM allowed it, so it's probably best not to dwell on it. Also, what do you mean backfire?

You could use magic circle against evil and various other methods to be sure he can't escape or function, but if he decides to die instead of following orders... You annihilate him and summon a hopefully more palpable one. Surely they're not all cookie cutter and some might think to cut deals, or submit to threats.

Stone Heart
2011-11-02, 01:29 AM
from he srd

If you choose to call a kind of creature instead of a known individual, you may call either a single creature or several creatures. In either case, their total HD cannot exceed twice your caster level. In the case of a single creature, you can control it if its HD does not exceed your caster level. A creature with more HD than your caster level can't be controlled. Deities and unique beings cannot be controlled in any event. An uncontrolled being acts as it pleases, making the calling of such creatures rather dangerous. An uncontrolled being may return to its home plane at any time.

Emphasis mine. Also we established that the items use was fine. The wish spell is open ended saying you can ask for other things, and as long as i clear it with him first all the wishes are fine.

Lord Vukodlak
2011-11-02, 01:42 AM
True, but in this particular situation, it seems to be a moot point. The DM allowed it, so it's probably best not to dwell on it. Also, what do you mean backfire?

What do I mean by backfire? Ok you wish for some stat boosts but forget to say how long they last. You lose them the moment the creature leaves the plane you called it to. Or maybe he twists the wish to such a degree your no longer in any position to do anything to him. He may also accomplish the wish by stealing a tome of stat enhancing from somebody else. Somebody who will come looking for it.

You could use magic circle against evil and various other methods to be sure he can't escape or function, but if he decides to die instead of following orders... You annihilate him and summon a hopefully more palpable one. Surely they're not all cookie cutter and some might think to cut deals, or submit to threats.
Magic Circle Against Evil used as a trap stops him from crossing the circle’s boundaries. It doesn't stop him from magically returning home. If you use the special diagram, then his abilities can't cross the circles boundries, meaning he needs to be released before he can fuifill the wishes.

Emphasis mine. Also we established that the items use was fine. The wish spell is open ended saying you can ask for other things, and as long as i clear it with him first all the wishes are fine.
You may wish to keep reading the spell. The controlled creatures are commanded to perform a service for you. They aren't puppets like a summoned creature. If the DM decided to have the Efreet try and screw you over with every wish. Your going to get screwed, but as it happens your DM isn't doing that.

Stone Heart
2011-11-02, 02:33 AM
Its moot since its already been decided to work, and I don't see how a creature that is listed as under my control is not still under my control. The spell description says that unique creatures and deities can not be controlled, and that if I am exacting a longer or more involved form of service that I will need to bargain with the creature, but I hardly see having him use a natural ability of his falls into that category.

And again, all moot because approved by the dm.

The reason I asked for what else I should get with them, as well as what sorts of spells I should get is because the dm approved this knowing that the bad guy will still be very hard to defeat. One of the other players effectively turned himself into a god with abuse of the thrallherd and has more thralls then the dm intended for people to exist in this universe. (although this did raise the power level of the boss)

So yeah, what are the best high level divine spells?

Lord Vukodlak
2011-11-02, 02:51 AM
Its moot since its already been decided to work, and I don't see how a creature that is listed as under my control is not still under my control.?

Because the gate spell specifies what that control is, and the control is to be commanded to perform a service. If that service is give me three wishes you'd better word them carefully.

Really the best abuse of the candles would be right before the battle to summon an army of powerful creatures to fight in that one instance. A dozen 20HD outsiders should be helpful.