PDA

View Full Version : PF: Barbarian

Man With Dog
2011-11-01, 04:08 PM
I recently picke dup a barbarian (running several PF games on different weeks) and last weel i picked up a Barbarian and i have to say, i had SO MUCH FUN playing him.
Little dwarven guy on a 20pt buy - he is as thick as his pony and uglier than its rear end after a hot curry but he is my ugly little guy.

What i wanted to ask is before he reaches the inevitable level 2 - what kind of Rage Powers are the best? I am guessing a few people will say it depends on what you want to play but every now and then there is one set of abilities that clearly outshines another.

At the moment (and hopefully continuously) i am the main damage dealer and hit taker so preferably like to keep it that way.

Rage abilities aswell as normal feat idea's well received

Blyte
2011-11-01, 04:42 PM
I like reckless abandon, cuz hitting is always nice, but if you want him more of a tank, guarded life is good for keeping him alive.

but reckless abandon and power attack are a good combo.

I recently posted an overrun barbarian build if you want to be a bully, but it's made with extra feats since the GM is trying to beef up our power level.. but it works to a lesser degree without the bonus feats.

here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220500)

Blisstake
2011-11-01, 04:45 PM
The beast totem line of rage powers are amazing.

Becuase... full attacks on charges are nice, even if the earliest you can get it is at level 10, but you can get the pre-requisites early on.

Superstition is great if you often go up against enemy casters, but just keep in mind that it does require you to attempt to save against beneficial spells as well.

Chained Birds
2011-11-01, 06:32 PM
Superstition is great if you often go up against enemy casters, but just keep in mind that it does require you to attempt to save against beneficial spells as well.

Just remember to get buffed before you rage and turn off the rage if you REALLY need some heals and are afraid you will pass the save. I second it due to rage powers only being in effect when you are raging so after battle healing and buffing is cool; also because at mid-high levels, a lot of enemies will have spells, spell-like abilities, and/or supernatural abilities that will ruin your day if you fail that save.

Blyte
2011-11-01, 06:45 PM
His fort save as a dwarf is high enough without superstition, and his will save (while raging) won't go up any from it because the +2 bonus to will saves you get from a rage doesn't stack with it (they are both morale bonuses). There aren't many reflex DC based spells that will shut you down that I can think of at his level.

Superstition is a waste to pick up low level, and I am still against it in the upper levels, but meh... some folks think it's the bomb.

You mentioned he would need to shut his rage off when he really needs a heal, and that is absolute folly... not only would it severely gimp his fighting ability but it would also put him that much closer to unconsciousness or death from the con loss (unless you took the trait optimistic gambler, but even then the bonus from superstition would persist due to being a morale effect)

I say wait till the mid to upper levels to pick up superstition, and even then I wouldn't do it unless your DM is a big fan of save or be F'd