PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Buff my Monster's DC

gbprime
2011-11-01, 04:35 PM
So i'm looking at throwing a monster at my PC's that has a special ability whose save DC is based on Charisma. If I want to move that save DC higher, I can (A) give it more charisma (natural and enhancement bonus) and (B) give it the Ability Boost feat.

But are there any other ITEMS I can use to crank up that DC?

gbprime
2011-11-02, 07:07 PM
Nothin', eh? Yeah, i couldn't find anything either. :smallfrown:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-11-02, 07:18 PM
Increase its Hit Dice (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#increasingHitDice), unless the special ability is spell-like, the DC is 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha bonus. Every 2 HD you add to it is +1 DC, or if it has an odd number of HD just adding +1 to make it an even number is another +1.

As for items, it really depends on the ability itself. Breath attacks have some options, mostly in the Draconomicon. There's also the Power Surge feat from Dragon magazine 313, page 57, which makes it wait +1 round before using that ability again (if it originally had no wait time, then it must wait until the following round to use it again for usually no drawback), in exchange for either adding +1 DC, or adding +1 damage per die, or increasing the duration by 50%. It applies to only one supernatural attack each time you take it, and the ability must be usable at least 3/day to be selected for it.

Inferno
2011-11-02, 07:19 PM
Depending on the ability the vow of non-violence from BOED could give a good +4, and make for an odd encounter (assuming a good/neutral party)

alternatively Rule 0 boost it?

Knowledge of the ability in question would help a great deal...

gbprime
2011-11-02, 07:57 PM
Increase its Hit Dice (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#increasingHitDice), unless the special ability is spell-like, the DC is 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha bonus. Every 2 HD you add to it is +1 DC, or if it has an odd number of HD just adding +1 to make it an even number is another +1.

Yeah, I can advance the hit dice a little, but not too much. :smallwink:

And I'm trying to keep it a bit vague for my players. It isn't a breath effect though, and it's Extraordinary.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-11-02, 08:03 PM
You could debuff their saving throws, which is basically the same thing. The Shaken condition is an easy way to do this, you can give it the feat Frightful Presence from the Draconomicon (page 106) as long as it has more HD than the PCs' level. You can also give it the Blackguard's Aura of Despair (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/blackguard.htm#auraofDespair) class feature as long as it's fitting, though they would have to be within 10 ft. of it, but if they're within that effect they would also take a -2 to saves vs. Frightful Presence.

Fouredged Sword
2011-11-02, 08:09 PM
Have is benefit from some castings of wish from a bound ifrit. Wish can boost your stats. Pazu also works for that.

Then get an item that grants the feat ability focus for another small boost.

Ifni
2011-11-02, 09:37 PM
Veil of Allure from the Magic Item Compendium. Increases the Charisma-based save DCs of extraordinary and supernatural abilities by 2 (also boosts enchantment spells).