PDA

View Full Version : Ghostly visage symbiont questions

NimbleNZ
2011-11-01, 05:22 PM
dear playground, i have a couple of questions regarding the Ghostly visage symbiont.

if the host is still in control, does the symbiont confer its mindshielding/undead traits/incorporeal subtype on the host?

if the visage is in control, then does it confer any of the above?

finally, if the host does gain the benefit of undead traits etc, does he get to keep his Con score? its an undead, which makes me think no, but i see no mention about it in the text.

EDIT: also can this symbiont be used as a good character? for example, someone struggling against its effects.

thanks in advance guys :smallbiggrin:

and thanks in arrears for all the other help people have given me!

NimbleNZ

NimbleNZ
2011-11-01, 06:32 PM
no one's encountered this before?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-11-01, 06:50 PM
I think you should read the Ghostly Visage's entry again, it's pretty clear how everything works:

Meld: The incorporeal visage merges into a corporeal host's body. Nothing is even implied that the corporeal host becomes incorporeal. This has nothing to do with which individual is in control.

Mind Shielding: It very clearly summarizes the ability as, "the ghostly visage confers its undead immunity to mind-affecting spells upon the host." That's the undead trait of immunity to mind-affecting spells, not all undead traits. This is not at all ambiguous, you gain only what it specifically states and nothing more. Again it does not say anything about this changing depending on who is in charge, when the visage is melded with a creature then that creature automatically gains this benefit from the relationship.

A Ghostly Visage is 'usually chaotic evil' so if it were possessing a good aligned character and was unable to usurp control, it would still have a bit of fun with him. It remains in control of its own Visage and Gaze of Terror abilities, so it could use Visage to make a face appear on the back of his head, on his butt, etc. without him even noticing, thus drawing attention and suspicion from any onlookers. It would probably use its Gaze of Terror at inopportune times, such as during friendly conversations or especially during sensitive diplomatic meetings, or perhaps just out of boredom. It would especially use that ability when the party is fighting undead who are immune to the gaze's paralyzing fear effect, so only the host's party would be affected.

A Dread Necromancer can get one of these as a familiar, and it's actually one of the more useful abilities exclusive to that class.

Midnight_v
2011-11-01, 06:52 PM
no one's encountered this before?

As a dread necromancer, but then it's your familiar so the question of control has never come up. You're making it seem like you're attatched to one as some other class? Yes/No?

NimbleNZ
2011-11-01, 07:05 PM
I think you should read the Ghostly Visage's entry again, it's pretty clear how everything works:

Meld: The incorporeal visage merges into a corporeal host's body. Nothing is even implied that the corporeal host becomes incorporeal. This has nothing to do with which individual is in control.

*snip*

A Dread Necromancer can get one of these as a familiar, and it's actually one of the more useful abilities exclusive to that class.

thanks, and yeah i hve only been playing this game a couple of months, i dont know how anything works thb.

It would probably use its Gaze of Terror at inopportune times, such as during friendly conversations or especially during sensitive diplomatic meetings, or perhaps just out of boredom.

that sounds hilarious :smallbiggrin:

NimbleNZ
2011-11-01, 07:06 PM
As a dread necromancer, but then it's your familiar so the question of control has never come up. You're making it seem like you're attatched to one as some other class? Yes/No?

yes, i was thinking of putting it on a warrior. but since it doesnt confer its undead traits to the host i wont bother with that anymore

necropolitan it is then!