PDA

View Full Version : Help Retraining an Reanimated NPC (My IRL Players Stay Out)

Gorfang113
2011-11-01, 06:00 PM
Firstly, THE PEOPLE PLAYING IN MY IRL CAMPAIGN (The Tomb of the Scarab Lord) STAY OUT. DO NOT LOOK HERE. I WILL LEVEL DRAIN YOU IF YOU LOOK. Now that thats out of the way, the rest is in the spoiler, just in case.
I need help rearranging a former PC's character. Her character was turned into a vampire and after almost half a year in real time she is returning to do horrible things to the rest of the group. The problem I hit is that her character was a druid, and in my campaign world being a druid and undead does not mix (As in not allowed. At all). So I need to find a replacment for her druid levels, and in addition need to increase her CR a bit, because they have leveled a bit since then.

The Story of Her Turning (or, Why She Wants Everyone Dead)
So on this particular day the player wasn't there, but she said she would let them use her as an NPC. The group arrived at the gate to the undead city they had been clearing out for a few days. This time there was a gatekeeper though (which hadn't happened before). He demanded payment of some sort. The choice was 10,000gp in money, or the same in either magic items or gems. As a joke I had the gatekeeper throw in "Or you can give me the little redheaded elfie for a while, hehheheheheh". They have a huddle to talk about it. Then, completly seriously, they come back up and say, "Alright, you can have her"...... So they proceeded to leave her character with him and none of them EVER see that character again. They assumed that things happened and she got turned into a vampire at some point. They then proceeded to forget about it and move on with the campaign. So ive decided to bring that druid back to try and get revenge on the rest of the group.

The Original Character:
Elf Druid 10. Str: 13, Dex: 15, Con: 12, Int: 11, Wis: 18, Cha: 14. HP: 77. Feats: Natural Spell, Spell Penetration, Weapon Finesse, Improved Toughness, Weapon Focus (Quarter Staff).

The New NPC:
I know that at the least she will be a vampire. I also want to give her the evolved undead template at least once (its been over 300 years in game time due to some time skip things). I want the final product to be around CR 13 (as the group is ECL 12 and goes from 4 to 6 people). So right now I have Vampire (+2 Cr)/Evolved Undead (+1 CR)/Unknown 10. Stats after conversion are Str:21, Dex:19, Int: 13, Wis: 20, Cha: 20. Im going for a whole "hunter-in-the-dark" feel, so anything that would aid in the NPC stalking and killing the other PC's one by one would help. If nothing works with the stats given I am willing to try and re-roll them. Any items that are reasonably attainable with wealth from a CR 13 encounter that could help would be appreciated.

Jarveiyan
2011-11-02, 10:27 AM
A few notes before you read - ancient foe is like favored enemy for orcs, the skills should be self explanitory. Also I reverse engineered the hp, by mm standards it should be 80.
(CR 13)
Female vampire(elf) ranger 6 / darkwood stalker 4
NE Medium evolved undead(augmented humanoid)
Init +8; Senses Darkvision 60' Low-light vision Listen +, Spot +
Languages Common, Elven, Orc

AC , touch , flat-footed (+4 Dex, + armor, +7 natural)
hp 107 (10 HD); fast healing 8
Immune sleep effects
Fort +13, Ref +14, Will +7 (+2 against other enchantments)

Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee slam +15/+10 (1d6+7/x2)
Base Atk +10; Grp +15

Abilities Str 21 Dex 19 Con -(12) Int 13 Wis 20 Cha 20
SA Blood Drain[ex], Children of the night[su], Create Spawn[su], Dominate[su] DC 20 CL12 30ft., Energy Drain[su] DC 20 1/rnd
SQ Alternate From[su], Ancient Foe[ex] +4, Damage Reduction[su], Darkvisiion[ex], Fast Healing[ex], Favored Enemy(pick the 2 that most represents whats in the party) +4/+2, Gaseous Form[su] CL5, Resistances[ex], Sneak Attack[ex] +1d6, Spider Climb[ex], Turn Resistance[ex] +4, Uncanny Dodge[ex]
Feats Alertness, combat Reflexes, Dodge, Edurance<rgr 3>, Improved Initiative, Improved Rapid Shot, Improved Toughness<character>, Lifesense<character>, Lightning Reflexes, Manyshot<rgr 6>, Mobility<character>, Rapid Shot<rgr 1>, Track<rgr 1>, Weapon Focus(quarterstaff)<character>
Skills Bluff +13, Hide +22(10rnks), Knowledge(dungeoneering/geography/nature) +5/+7(5rnks ea.), Listen +18(1rnks), Move silently +22(10rnks), Search +15(5rnks), Sense Motive +13, Spot +18(1rnks), Survival +15(10rnks)

Coidzor
2011-11-02, 10:42 AM
Sounds like you'll want to aim a bit higher than that unless they're not the type to take threats seriously. Since a CR just 1 above their APL isn't going to be all that much of a challenge and isn't likely to be doing horrible things to them directly.

Clerical beatstick with her own skeletal and vampire minions seems almost right, except for the stealthy hunting in the dark part you've specified. I'm sure there's a PrC of one sort or another, likely of good hunting evil but, hey, refluffing.

Take a look at this template, by the way, Vampire Lord (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a).

It'd give her back the wild shape abilities she lost as well as.

edit:

On the other hand...The bit where vampires are pre-packaged to make others into their minions and dominate others in order to make them into cats paws would make it so she's got plenty of allies/minions already...

Quarian Rex
2011-11-02, 12:37 PM
Try the Blighter PrC from Complete Divine. Druid5/Blighter5-7 Vampire has accelerated spellcasting, Undead Wildshape, and other abilities that should give you the 'consequence of corruption' vibe you're looking for.

sirpercival
2011-11-02, 12:56 PM
If you want something more sneaky/stalkery, why don't you hit up some Unarmed Swordsage/Telflammar Shadowlord? Shadow pounce in, do a whole crapload of energy drain, and leave.

Hazzardevil
2011-11-02, 01:56 PM
They have a huddle to talk about it. Then, completly seriously, they come back up and say, "Alright, you can have her"...... So they proceeded to leave her character with him and none of them EVER see that character again.

Your PC's are terrible people.

Here's a Blighter fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198309) you might want to look at.