PDA

View Full Version : Help building a new character

Xrocks
2011-11-01, 06:48 PM
Hi, I'm about to start playing in a new campaign, a friend of mine is going to DM The Drow War Books saga and I need help making my character.
We are playing 3.5 (no pathfinder), we can use any book except setting exclusive ones (we can use FR books and some things from Eberron but nothing else of that kind).
I never had so much freedom making a character before since my previous DM only allowed a few books he liked (things like ToB or Complete Warrior were forbidden).
We are going to play the complete saga so we are going from lvl 1 up to lvl 30. I want to build an evil character. We are going to be a party of 4.

Although we can use almost any book my knowledge is pretty limited (I read lots of topics were people say this or that class combo was great and I didn't knew any of them).
So if you could help me/guide making a character as powerful as possible (without having to ask the DM to change something just for me, "bending" rules or anything more than following the books) it would be really really great.

As for what kind of character I would like to play, other than wanting to RP an evil guy and maybe having a non core book race, I don't want to be a buffer, healbot or rogue skill monkey (been there 'n done that), some kind of melee char, a caster (that doesn't focus on crow control) or a summoner would be great. And if the class can have relate to being evil or maybe with the module (without spoiling anything for me maybe some of you have played The Drow War Books and know a cool evil class combo for it).

Thanks.

EDIT: I was thinking I always wanted to make a char that has something to do with dragons (I remenber loving the draconomicon before my previous DM forbid it, also I would love a char that becomes a lich or vampire but I can still play him and lvl up).

Flickerdart
2011-11-01, 07:04 PM
If you want to be a Lich, straight Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror) or Walker In The Waste's capstone (Sandstorm) both give you Lichdom without LA.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-11-01, 07:19 PM
Human (Halruuan), Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) (UA) of Mystra (FRCS). Mystra before the Time of Troubles was LN, so you can be LE; that Mystra is dead and the current Mystra is NG, but she still recognizes worshippers of the old Mystra. Just the same, you should take Servant of the Fallen (LEoF) so there's almost no risk for you to lose access to your spellcasting and class features.

Take two flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) (UA), I'd get Weak-Willed and Murky-Eyed, so you'll get two extra feats at level 1. This build will use Dweomerkeeper (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a), originally in Faiths and Panthons but updated to 3.5 at that link, as well as Epic Dweomerkeeper (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20021018a), but note that the linked epic progression is for the 3.0 version which did not include Supernatural Spell. Additional uses of Supernatural Spell should be added to that epic progression at every even-numbered level, and Mantle of Spells should be moved to the odd-numbered levels, to continue the 3.5 level progressions.

Check here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/lists) and use google before you ask what book something came from. Craft Rod is there so you can make your own Nightsticks from Libris Mortis for half price.

1. Cloistered Cleric 1, Magical Training (PGtF), Servant of the Fallen, Extend Spell, Persistent Spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#persistentSpell) (CD), Magic and Rune domains, Knowledge Devotion (CC)
2. Cloistered Cleric 2
3. Cloistered Cleric 3, Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell (CD)
4. Cloistered Cleric 4
5. Cloistered Cleric 5
6. Dweomerkeeper (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a) 1, Extra Turning
7. Dweomerkeeper 2
8. Divine Disciple (PGtF) 1
9. Divine Disciple 2, Craft Rod
10. Divine Disciple 3
11. Divine Disciple 4, Spell domain (SpC)
12. Contemplative (CD) 1, Initiate of Mystra (PGtF), Illusion domain (SpC)
13. Dweomerkeeper 3
14. Dweomerkeeper 4
15. Dweomerkeeper 5, Reach Spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#reachSpell) (CD)
16. Dweomerkeeper 6
17. Dweomerkeeper 7
18. Dweomerkeeper 8, Quicken Spell
19. Dweomerkeeper 9
20. Dweomerkeeper 10
21. Epic Dweomerkeeper 11, Epic Spellcasting
22. Epic Dweomerkeeper 12
23. Epic Dweomerkeeper 13, Permanent Emenation: Greater Consumptive Field (SpC)
24. Epic Dweomerkeeper 14, Permanent Emanation: Antimagic Field
25. Epic Dweomerkeeper 15
26. Epic Dweomerkeeper 16
27. Epic Dweomerkeeper 17, Multispell
28. Epic Dweomerkeeper 18
29. Epic Dweomerkeeper 19
30. Epic Dweomerkeeper 20, Multispell

You can use Pearls of Power for multiple uses of Anyspell and Greater Anyspell each day. Check google for Cleric handbooks, persistent spell handbooks, the Cheater of Mystra build, etc. You should wear a Monk's Belt and use Anyspell to prepare Shield and cast it DMM: Persistent each day along with Mage Armor from the Spell domain, and cast (Lesser Rod of Extended) Magic Vestment on each. Between Initiate of Mystra and Persistent Antimagic Field there shouldn't be much for you to worry about from level 12 on. At 5th level you should be able to have DMM: Persistent Mass Lesser Vigor on the whole party every day. Don't cast healing spells during combat, don't even prepare healing spells after 5th level, and before that you should only prepare Faith Healing for yourself and Lesser Vigor to fix someone between encounters.

Hirax
2011-11-01, 07:35 PM
A couple possibilities for races are dragonborn, spellscale (both from races of the Dragon), and silverbrow humans (from Dragon Magic). Dragonborns can get a breath weapon which might interest you. Note that dragonborn is actually put on top of your base race, you might pair it with lesser aasimar. The net stat bumps would be -2 dex, +2 con, +2 wis, and +2 cha.

Perhaps do cloistered cleric3/church inquisitor4/prestige paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin)3/ruby knight vindicator20

Cleric lets you be awesome and melee and still get great spells. Prestige paladin gets you everything good about the paladin class in 3 levels, and it advances cleric casting. Per the list of alternate paladin mounts in the DMG you could get a hippogriff mount if you wanted. Ruby Knight Vindicator advances your cleric powers and continues to make you awesome in melee by giving you a bunch of extra Tome of Battle stances and maneuvers. It also gives you divine impetus, one of the most awesome abilities in the game.

Xrocks
2011-11-01, 07:35 PM
Thanks A LOT! Biffoniacus_Furiou.
Thats exactly the kind of advice I need, a full build and a good explanation of how to use it.
Also thanks for the useful links, didn't knew any of them.
Oh and in the party right know it seems there's going to be a barbarian or warblade, a wizard (probably a blaster, since the player is new to D&D), a beguiler and me.
The cleric is looking very good for the party but maybe another class or build could also work?.

EDIT: Thanks Hirax, I didn't knew most of those classes, I'm liking the cleric idea more and more, mostly because it seems I can either be a dedicated caster, or an effective melee/caster.

Vowtz
2011-11-01, 08:51 PM
So if you could help me/guide making a character as powerful as possible (without having to ask the DM to change something just for me, "bending" rules or anything more than following the books) it would be really really great.

Take two flaws (UA), I'd get Weak-Willed and Murky-Eyed, so you'll get two extra feats at level 1.Flaws are optional rules, so maybe you would need the DM to "bend the rules" for you.

Perhaps do cloistered cleric3/church inquisitor4/prestige paladin3/ruby knight vindicator20 I think prestige paladin is also optional, an alternative way that overlaps the standard paladin on a campaing.

As for what kind of character I would like to play, other than wanting to RP an evil guy and maybe having a non core book race, I don't want to be a buffer, healbot or rogue skill monkey (been there 'n done that), some kind of melee char, a caster (that doesn't focus on crow control) or a summoner would be great.

You can be a necropolitan[Libris mortis], making you an undead without LA, and then worship an evil deity, I would make an evil necropolitan cleric of Olidammara(C/N), to gain access to trickery and luck domains.

if you are a cleric you can be:

- a good summoner by feats like rapid spell[CDiv] and divine metamagic[CDiv]

- a great melee with spells like divine power and spikes[CDiv]

- sneaky with trickery domain spells and hide and bluff as class skills.

- On high level you will have miracle and Time stop(luck domain).

- If you want to melee on high level you can time stop, buff yourself with things like miracle(use Giant Size, a 7th level Wu jen spell from CArc).

Spellstaff is a great druid spell to mimic using miracle(you can store a miracle or time stop in it)

For prestige classes I would have to research, but cleric 30 can be a good choice, multiclassing would be good to improve you saves though.

Xrocks
2011-11-01, 09:01 PM
Actually my DM said that flaws are ok as long as there's a RP reason for them, also things like cloistered cleric or prestige paladins maybe optional but we use them already ( I remember using an optional kind of monk).

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 09:06 PM
Lemmie give you a glorious Rockstar build:

Race: Magic-Blooded Human
Class: Bard 6/ Lyric Thaumaturge 3/ Virtuoso 1/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8

Choose your favorite classic rock songs and rock out

Xrocks
2011-11-01, 09:48 PM
Hehe :smallwink: .
Not sure how that class works (never ever in my live have I played a bard or even read his PrC), can I one hit a dragon with Starway to Heaven?

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 10:12 PM
Hehe :smallwink: .
Not sure how that class works (never ever in my live have I played a bard or even read his PrC), can I one hit a dragon with Starway to Heaven?

Well, what you do is use Melodic Spell and make one of your Sorcerer Spells Stairway to Heaven, and hypothetically, yes

Kaje
2011-11-02, 12:11 AM
Why in the world would a dm ban Complete Warrior?

herrhauptmann
2011-11-02, 12:59 AM
For an alternate idea, an anti-caster melee (I know that casters do anti-caster best, but whatever).
Karsite (ToB variant human). Quorbred (Secrets of Sarlona, might not be possible).

Arcane hunter (Complete Mage). Witchslayer PrC.

Feats: Mageslayer, blindfight, PMC, PMP.
Now have SR/PR (not enough, but oh well), if someone fails against your SR/PR, you heal. Some disjunction type abilities. One of which happens when you hit someone in melee. (most minor of them all)
Effects you have that cause saving throws can use your int or wis, if charisma is low (from quorbred). Several anti-psi bonus feats, and access to another feat without meeting prereqs (also from quorbred, though it's useless if you're a karsite).

Can use SP, EX, and SU abilities. Any magic items. No spells (arcane or divine), no psi powers. No psi items. Not even with the Use Psi Device skill (i think)
Which additional feats depends on how you want to do combat. But leap attack +shocktrooper should do fine.
(Currently making a similar character, using a homebrew PrC called Witch Hunter. Amalgam of Witchslayer, Occultslayer, and Hellreaver. If the DM allows homebrew, offer that up. I've also got an epic progression for it here on GITP. I can get you links if you want.)
Sorry, can't help with dragon type characters.
UNLESS, you play a zhentarim skymage. :smallbiggrin: You get a mount based on I think your intimidate score. Lords of Darkness (needs updating to 3.5)
If you get a 2handed weapon, get Steadfast boots from MiC.

Bloodgruve
2011-11-02, 01:15 AM
Couple of fun characters:

Factotum out of Dungeonscape, these are skill monkeys but they are very versatile and fun to play. You can build a melee, sneaky or social character with this class.

Bard/Warblade looks fun, inspire courage up to +10 atk and dmg or +10d6 fire dmg or more for the whole party with the right feats and race. Party buffer and melee or ranged.

Clerics usually will end up healing but they can be great all the way up. Full caster, melee or ranged builds. Feats like Divine Metamagic and Persistent Spell thrown onto Divine Power makes for a mean melee build. Zen Archery feat for a ranged build.

Druids are great melee and casting, they can do almost everything out of the box, even healing. Wild shape gives you a ton of melee options. There is a variant druid that drops wild shape for dragon aspects Dragon Magic p11. This wouldn't be as strong as standard wild shape but it may be more flavorful IMHO.

Psion/Thrallherd is really fun if you want a caster main with a -1 level cohort. I ran a psion cheese ray blaster and had a melee controller thrall which was very fun.

The good people here on GitP can fill ya in on more specific build ideas.

GL
Blood~

P.S. Totemsist out of Magic of Incarnum looks fun if you want a natural attack melee blender.

Xrocks
2011-11-02, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys, I've been reading books with the builds/feat/etc that you're suggesting like crazy, it's a lot more fun that college right now XD.

Please keep'em coming, I still have until Sunday to make up my mind and make the char.

PS:This site is great, there's an amazing amount of info in the threads and people are nice.

Aemoh87
2011-11-02, 01:20 PM
Hi, I'm about to start playing in a new campaign, a friend of mine is going to DM The Drow War Books saga and I need help making my character.
We are playing 3.5 (no pathfinder), we can use any book except setting exclusive ones (we can use FR books and some things from Eberron but nothing else of that kind).
I never had so much freedom making a character before since my previous DM only allowed a few books he liked (things like ToB or Complete Warrior were forbidden).
We are going to play the complete saga so we are going from lvl 1 up to lvl 30. I want to build an evil character. We are going to be a party of 4.

Although we can use almost any book my knowledge is pretty limited (I read lots of topics were people say this or that class combo was great and I didn't knew any of them).

As for what kind of character I would like to play, other than wanting to RP an evil guy and maybe having a non core book race, I don't want to be a buffer, healbot or rogue skill monkey (been there 'n done that), some kind of melee char, a caster (that doesn't focus on crow control) or a summoner would be great. And if the class can have relate to being evil or maybe with the module (without spoiling anything for me maybe some of you have played The Drow War Books and know a cool evil class combo for it).

Thanks.

EDIT: I was thinking I always wanted to make a char that has something to do with dragons (I remenber loving the draconomicon before my previous DM forbid it, also I would love a char that becomes a lich or vampire but I can still play him and lvl up).

You have made a grievous error asking this question... Seriously don't play the most powerful character you can find. If people in your group are aware of the DnD internet community they will twirl their finger and go Whoo Whoo and then request you play something else. Just build a character that fits your group.

Xrocks
2011-11-02, 02:25 PM
Well I'm asking mainly because the module we're about to start playing goes from lvl 1 to 30 and although I did play epic levels back in 2E like 10 years ago, I haver never played 3.5 in a campaign that went beyond like lvl 12 at max, so I don't want to find out that suddenly my char is no longer effective by the time we reach the second part of the campaign.

Also since I now have a lot more freedom with books I don't want to play the gnome wizard or the half-orc barbarian again but something different to anything I played before, and although 2 players are new the other 3 people playing (we are 5 now instead of 4) aren't new and want to try different things.
And books like The Tome of Battle, Expanded Psionic, Races of Stone, Draconomicon and Complete Divine are new to us, as is having to plan a character that will reach lvl 30, well even lvl 15 is new.
Being able to choose a race that isn't regular elf/human/half-orc/gnome/halfling is new too (we did play Eberron once, and somebody played a changeling).
And my group right know was a Warblade/X or a Psionic Warrior/X , a Dread Necromancer/X, a Wizard/X (blaster), another melee character (probabably a Monk) and me, except for the monk the rest of the party isn't exactly unoptimized.

sirpercival
2011-11-02, 02:27 PM
If Heroes of Horror is in, you could go Archivist 11/Tainted Scholar 19 (assuming you can get an epic progression of TS approved). A NE Archivist who follows Oghma would be perfect.

Another absolutely fantastic evil build is Binder 5/Ur-Priest 2/Divine-Adapted Anima Mage 8/Knight of the Sacred Seal 5/Anima Mage +10. Binder requires a lot of bookkeeping, but being in FR you automatically should get Zceryll, so you can summon as much as you want. You can also power DMM stuff with the Ur-Priest's Rebuke attempts, AND if the BoVD is in play then you can bind Astaroth, sacrifice people to gain Dark Craft XP & Gold, and make all your items for free.

(I don't actually recommend doing that last part since you'll have to pay for DM-related injury insurance, but if you build it into your character concept you can talk to your DM about finding a compromise.)

EDIT: note that you'll have to take Keeper of the Forbidden Lore (from FCI) to get Spellcraft as a class skill to qualify for Ur-Priest.

Keld Denar
2011-11-02, 02:29 PM
BARD! You should be a bard. Bards are the new black. You have access to enough books to optimize the hell out of Inspire Courage, so why not do it?

The question then becomes, do you want to be a melee bard? Or a caster bard? Or even an archer bard?

EDIT: Friends don't let friends play with Tainted Scholar. Shame on you!

Novawurmson
2011-11-02, 02:40 PM
And my group right know was a Warblade/X or a Psionic Warrior/X , a Dread Necromancer/X, a Wizard/X (blaster), another melee character (probabably a Monk) and me, except for the monk the rest of the party isn't exactly unoptimized.

Plead with the Monk to play an Unarmed Swordsage instead.

If he doesn't like it, swap out his character sheet with a swordsage with "monk" written on it when he's not looking.

Xrocks
2011-11-02, 02:59 PM
Plead with the Monk to play an Unarmed Swordsage instead.

If he doesn't like it, swap out his character sheet with a swordsage with "monk" written on it when he's not looking.

Lolz I'll probably lend him ToB and do just that, he likes the idea of a Bruce Lee character but doesn't want to be the weakest, good idea.

Indeed Heroes of Horror is in. Those classes seem very cool sirpercival, thanks I'll read about them.
Well Keld Denar, I appreciate the idea but bards are the one class I don't really like, I know the can be very powerful and great to RP but I'm trying to make an evil char and even if I wasn't I never wanted to try one. Rogues are another class I've never found to my liking.

Keld Denar
2011-11-02, 03:27 PM
Bard/Dirgesinger!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/ClericofPhwarrr/bards.jpg

Badass enough? EDIT: Can anyone else see this image? It shows up on google, but not when I post it...

I'll stop now... :P

herrhauptmann
2011-11-02, 03:37 PM
Bard/Dirgesinger!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/ClericofPhwarrr/bards.jpg

Badass enough? EDIT: Can anyone else see this image? It shows up on google, but not when I post it...

I'll stop now... :P

Her again?
Doesn't she show up on every fifth page of the picture/demotivator threads?

Xrocks
2011-11-02, 04:26 PM
Heh I can see you love bards. But me personally I wouldn't be sure how to RP one with the evil priest/mage I'm have in mind.
I also though about some kind of evil priest with lvls of paladin of tyranny/ruby knight vindicator or some stuff like that if I wanted melee, but mostly I'm liking the binder/anima mage..., archivist/tainted scholar, psion/trallhead or the cloistered cleric/dweomerkeeper, at least right now.
They all feel like different from what I played before.

EDIT: My god I've never read the Tome of Magic before, I have to say that the binder and the anima mage seems like one of the coolest classes ever, very fun and different indeed.

sirpercival
2011-11-02, 05:56 PM
{snip} the binder and the anima mage seems like one of the coolest classes ever, very fun and different indeed.

This. Binders are SO MUCH fun, and with a fast-progression PrC and anima mage, you get to have full casting too.

Xrocks
2011-11-02, 05:59 PM
Well thanks guys I've decided that I want to go with the Binder 5/Ur-Priest 2/Divine-Adapted Anima Mage 8/Knight of the Sacred Seal 5/Anima Mage +10 build.

But I have some questions:
- What RP reasons could I give my DM to let me adapt the Anima Mage to a divine spellcaster?.
Right now I'm thinking that since a Ur-Priest isn't exactly a cleric and despises the gods he could be a good candidate for being an anima mage but it's not the best argument.
-How would the last 10 Anima Mage lvls work?, should I work with my DM to adapt them to Epic?, is there a book where they show anything about this? (neither of us have any experience with Epic lvls or adding 8 lvls to a 10 lvls class).
-I like the "dark craft" aspect but more balance, if I decide to go with it I'll talk with my DM about something more fair and in RPing it.
-Should I go with plain old human or is there a more interesting and better race for this char?.
-And last how should I built it?, I mean the lvl progression, feats, skills (other than the ones needed for PrCs), should I choose Zceryll when I get my Knight of the Sacred Seal lvl?, what weapons are good for the char? it seems to me I should play it like a melee cleric with summons.

Any more advice and help with my question would be very welcome :smallsmile:

Snowbluff
2011-11-02, 08:01 PM
I'd do an Idiot Crusader/Urpriest/RKV

For none cheese, Crusader/Cleric/RKV Has my vote.

This would mostly if you need a tank. If not, just role a wizard.

Xrocks
2011-11-02, 10:24 PM
So I've been looking and I'm still not sure in what order I should level my char and what feat I should take (and sadly Brilliantgamers is still down so no Binder handbook).
Any advice on that front?
I thinking of picking human as race, stats something like STR 12, Con 14, CHA 14, WIS 14, INT 12, DEX 12? and not sure is I should up cha and wis or only one of them.
Feats: Improved Binding, DMM , Persist and well I'm not sure after that.
As you can see I'm really flying blind.

Tokuhara
2011-11-02, 10:39 PM
My Suggestion?

I love builds that fall under, "the simpler, the better." The less fussing you have to do with the rules (and less run-ins with the mythological beast, the Rules-Lawyer), the Better.

Aleithian Dwarf Warblade/Dwarf Paragon/Deepstone Sentinel/Deepwarden/Stonelord is a blast, especially if you play him as the Dwarfiest Dwarf in all of Dwarfdom possible. (Heck, I may play this...)

Golden Ladybug
2011-11-03, 06:46 AM
Well, if I were to give a really powerful caster option with Maxium Overcheese, I'd suggest this build

Vernerable Dragonwrought Kobold
(-4 Str +2 Dex -2 Con +3 Int +3 Wis +3 Cha)

For this build to work, you'll need either good Charisma and Wisdom to power your spellcasting (Geomancer lets you power the DCs off either stat). Wisdom is probably a better option because Ur-Priest has a lot less slots than Sorcerer. You'll also want decent Intelligence to meet the skill requirements for Ur-Priest and Geomancer, and Factotum to get a head start on them. If I've done my math right, you'll be able to buy the ranks you need with...16 INT

Factotum 1/Sorcerer 6/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 1/Geomancer 10

This build gets you Dual 9th level casting, nice class features and a feeling of deep shame for proposing such a monstrosity. The use of Dumb Kobold Tricks is required, so that you can be treated as an 18th level Sorcerer. the Geomancer's Drift gives you natural Flight, as well as some other nifty benefits and means you can be SAD using Wisdom instead of Charisma to set DCs and wear Mechanis Plate without any chance of your Spells failing.

Geomancer progresses Mystic Theurge.

Progressing into Epics, you can either find an Epic Geomancer (if such a thing exists) or go into Incantatrix for Metamagic stuff. Persisting for practically free is good.

And then, you can pay the feat tax to do this:

-Swift Action: Arcane Spellsurge
-Standard Action: (Easy Metamagic, Practical Metamagic, Improved Metamagic, Arcane Thesis: Greater Arcane Fusion) Twinned Greater Arcane Fusion (+0 Spell Slot adjustment)
->Containing (7th) Twinned Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusion (4th) Sanctum Arcane Fusion
-->Twinned Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusion + Sanctum Arcane Fusion
--->Twinned Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusion + Sanctum Arcane Fusion
---->Twinned Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusion + Sanctum Arcane Fusion
----->Twinned Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusion + Sanctum Arcane Fusion
------>Twinned Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusion + Sanctum Arcane Fusion
------->Twinned Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusion + Sanctum Arcane Fusion

-------->Twinned Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusion + Sanctum Arcane Fusion

Now, with just what I listed, that works out as 256 Greater Arcane Fusions, all containing Arcane Fusions as well, which can each contain, say, a Orb of Force Twinned and Sanctum'd along with a True Strike. That means we have 5120d6 Force Damage with +20 to hit.

And that can keep going as long as you want it to. And because of how (Greater) Arcane Fusion works, that costs only one Spell Slot.

Your damage figures become infinite, and you have full access to the Cleric Spell List and the pick of the crop from the Wiz/Sorc list too. You can cast in the heaviest of armors without suffering a penalty, fly nonmagically and a whole slew of other minor benefits.

Have fun, if you so choose.

sirpercival
2011-11-03, 07:55 AM
What's your stat generation system? Those stats are not very good -- a binder/ur-priest wants Wisdom > Cha > Con, and you need Int 13 for Keeper of the Forbidden Lore. With 32pb I would do something like Str 8 Dex 10 Con 14 Int 13 Wis 17 Cha 14. My Ur-Binder is a Lesser Aasimar who became disenchanted with the whole idea of divinity and the good planes, so he went elsewhere for knowledge (Keeper of the Forbidden Lore) and power (binding, ur-priest). However, human is an excellent choice as well (of course).

Zceryll is an excellent choice for your KoSS vestige if you want to focus on the summoning -- favored vestige and rapid recovery increase the rate of summons, and you get the mindsight feat (awesome) and outsider type as well.

For an epic anima mage, it's simple -- you get an extra use of the Vestige Metamagic ability every two levels, and it increases your EBL and CL every level. Bonus feats would probably be every 3 levels.

You should talk to your DM about how epic binding works -- there are several homebrew solutions to this like Epic Vestiges and the like.

Bloodgruve
2011-11-03, 09:50 AM
Here is a binder handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871830/Consolidated_Binder_Handbook) if you want to browse.

I think I have the BG handbook saved somewhere too. I'll check this evening. Cant recall if it is the same as the linked one above.

GL
Blood~

Xrocks
2011-11-03, 01:33 PM
What's your stat generation system? Those stats are not very good -- a binder/ur-priest wants Wisdom > Cha > Con, and you need Int 13 for Keeper of the Forbidden Lore. With 32pb I would do something like Str 8 Dex 10 Con 14 Int 13 Wis 17 Cha 14. My Ur-Binder is a Lesser Aasimar who became disenchanted with the whole idea of divinity and the good planes, so he went elsewhere for knowledge (Keeper of the Forbidden Lore) and power (binding, ur-priest). However, human is an excellent choice as well (of course).

Zceryll is an excellent choice for your KoSS vestige if you want to focus on the summoning -- favored vestige and rapid recovery increase the rate of summons, and you get the mindsight feat (awesome) and outsider type as well.

For an epic anima mage, it's simple -- you get an extra use of the Vestige Metamagic ability every two levels, and it increases your EBL and CL every level. Bonus feats would probably be every 3 levels.

You should talk to your DM about how epic binding works -- there are several homebrew solutions to this like Epic Vestiges and the like.

If you have any link with some solutions to binding it would be great, epic knowledge on my DM and I = 0.

And well the reason I want to know a level up order and the feats I need it's because I'm pretty lost there, Keeper of the Forbidden Lore was a feat I didn't even knew existed and it seems awesome to take from like lvl 1 or 3 to make sure I can get in Ur-Priest at lvl 6.
So well not knowing those thinks is why I asked for a more specific building guide.
What divine feats should I take?, like DMM:Persist and use Tenebrous + Nightsticks to persist cleric buffs?, should I take craft rod to make it cheaper?.
Favored vestige and Rapid recovery seem like great feats, what about Improved Binding for the low level play? (I'll be between lvl 1 and 10 for at least 4, 5 months I think) and maybe retrain it when I can get lvl 8 vestige without it?.
My DM hasn't decided yet in a system for our stats but he will probably use dice rolling of some kind (not a big fun of buying).
Oh and also I said those stats because the compedium from wizards made it seem like you had to build a "warrior" type with hight Int (or Wis in my case).
I'll definitely with higher Wis/Cha, medium Int/Cont and "dump" STR/DEX.

Sorry for the tons of questions, but I'm loving the whole idea of the char and I want to make it right.

Thanks for the link, I read about 10 pages but I didn't find a lot that was close to what I'm trying to build, I'm reading the one in BrilliantGameologist (google cache FTW) right now.

sirpercival
2011-11-03, 02:35 PM
Here are some links:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172608
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38965

As for feats:
1) Don't take Craft Rod. Any day you want to craft a rod, bind Astaroth.
2) You don't need to do Tenebrous, the number of rebuke attempts you get is based on your Cha and not your level. KoSS is a better class than Tenebrous Apostate; to get in you'll need Weapon Focus.
3) Definitely go DMM:Persist. There are a ton of persistable cleric spells.

Depending on what level you're starting at, I might say a build kind of like this (with two flaws):

Human Binder 5/Ur-Priest 2/Anima Mage 8/KoSS 5/Anima Mage +10

Feats:
1 Keeper of the Forbidden Lore, Improved Binding, Ignore Special Requirements, SF: Evil
3 Weapon Focus: whatever you need, I don't remember
(buy Iron Will from Otyugh Hole)
6 Extend Spell
9 Persistent Spell
12 DMM: Persistent
15 Favored Vestige: Zceryll
18 Rapid Recovery: Zceryll
21 Epic Spellcasting
etc.

EDIT: You might be able to convince your DM a divine anima mage should have a d6 or d8 HD and good fort and will saves... good luck! :D

Xrocks
2011-11-03, 02:58 PM
Thank you VERY MUCH:biggrin: that was exactly what I needed. Great links for the epic.

We're playing a module that goes from lvl 1 to level 30, so I'm starting at lvl 1.
Great idea with Astaroth.
Even though we aren't in Faerum I'll try to work into the story needing to go to the Otyugh Hole and ask my DM about it :P.

What feat should I leave out if I choose to be a Lesser Asiamar or I can't use the Otyugh Hole?. I was thinking maybe not taking Ignore Special Requirements at lvl 1, it's a great feat but I don't see any other one that I can ignore.

CactusAir
2011-11-03, 03:03 PM
As one of the rare Incarnum fans (i think there's almost 30 of us worldwide now), I'd like to advocate going Necropolitan, and taking Undead Meldshaper for a Incarnate3/Bloodline3/Witchborn Binder1/Necrocarnate13.

Assuming the DM allows for bloodline stacking, you get an ML of 22, which you can leverage to throw targeted dispels at people (as a ranged touch attack) while your Necrocarnum Zombies tank. Also, Vitality Belt totally solves all the "no more con bonus to HP" problems you normally get with necropolitans, or it will, once you hit level 8. And at Level 20, I think you can pass out negative levels as a touch attack at will.

Yeah, okay, so Incarnum is weak tea next to casters past level 4 or so, but if your game isn't high-op, Incarnum is perfectly viable.