PDA

View Full Version : Simplfying Prepared Casters

Grod_The_Giant
2011-11-01, 10:20 PM
This isn't a nerf. In fact, it will almost certainly increase the power of tier 1 classes like the Wizard and Cleric. That being said, such classes already rely on gentlemen/women's agreements and/or substantial spell nerfs to keep them from obliterating game balance. So I figure that a slight increase in power in exchange for simplicity isn't going to have a huge affect on the general distribution of power.

What's my idea? Simple. Prepared casters prepare their spells like normal, pre-applying metamagic feats and all that jazz. But then they spontaneously cast from that list.

Roles like Wizard, Cleric, and Druid are iconic and simple to grasp, but the business of selecting spells can be tricky. Not just in the sheer number of splatbooks to plow through, or trying to guess which spells you'll need- that's part of the fun. No, the trouble comes when trying to decide how many Grease spells you'll need, or if three Water Breathing spells will be enough. And there can also be a tendency to horde spells, even at higher levels- sort of "this spell would be useful now, but I might need it later." I know that's the part that I struggle with, at least.

Admittedly, this might require giving the Sorcerer and Favored Soul a few more spells known, and does step on the toes of the Spirit Shaman, but I've never seen anyone play that class.

Anyway, thoughts?

Yitzi
2011-11-01, 11:57 PM
It totally negates any versatility advantage the sorcerer had over the wizard; you'll have to give the sorcerer not only spells known, but something else as well (or take something else away from the wizard.)