PDA

View Full Version : Breaking a boulder..

Baughn
2011-11-02, 05:52 AM
For a variety of reasons, I'm competing in a tournament where I need to break a 1-meter-radius boulder made of sandstone before anyone else. Or else.

I'm a tenth-level wizard/mage of the arcane order, so it seems like it should be possible, I just can't figure out how. Help? :smallbiggrin:

Though I suppose it's possible that I'm meant to fail this, I wouldn't mind disappointing the GM in that respect. :P

The Boz
2011-11-02, 05:57 AM
Disintegrate.

EDIT: No, wait, sorry, that's a level 6 spell... Well, outside of a scroll... Does the DM allow Physics™?

ILM
2011-11-02, 06:02 AM
Transmute Rock to Mud? You wouldn't be breaking it per se, but it wouldn't be a rock boulder anymore.

Keegan__D
2011-11-02, 06:04 AM
It has a hardness and HP, right? Kill it with fire.

ILM
2011-11-02, 06:06 AM
Still within Core options: Fabricate it into a mess of broken pieces? Telekinesis to thrust it high in the air? Write Explosive runes all over it and read them? (some of these would require your DM to play along)

CTrees
2011-11-02, 06:10 AM
Scroll of Disintegrate would be my first choice.

Shatter would require boosting your caster level to a extreme cheese degree.

Transmute rock to mud followed by a wand of Purify Food and Drink?

Hrm... what's the hardness and HP of that much sandstone? Out the door, so I can't figure it out right now... Massive damage might actually be your best choice, from what I know offhand :smallannoyed:

EDIT:

Still within Core options: Fabricate it into a mess of broken pieces?

Fabricate, at 10th level, would hit 100cu.ft. Way too small to smash the entire thing into dust, but I like the idea... what does it take to qualify as "broken?"

DoughGuy
2011-11-02, 06:20 AM
Scroll of Disintegrate would be my first choice.

Shatter would require boosting your caster level to a extreme cheese degree.

Transmute rock to mud followed by a wand of Purify Food and Drink?

Hrm... what's the hardness and HP of that much sandstone? Out the door, so I can't figure it out right now... Massive damage might actually be your best choice, from what I know offhand :smallannoyed:

EDIT:

Fabricate, at 10th level, would hit 100cu.ft. Way too small to smash the entire thing into dust, but I like the idea... what does it take to qualify as "broken?"

Just use fabricate to create multiple cracks within the boulder so it structure is so weak you can tap it and it crumbles. Bonus points for yawning as you do it. 100 cubic feet is over half the volume of the boulder (if its perfectly circular) so it should work fine.

faceroll
2011-11-02, 06:21 AM
The boulder is 162 cu. feet. Simply use two castings of Fabricate to create two fragile statues of 80cu feet of material that you push over. Should be 2 standard actions and 2 move actions, so 2 rounds to break.

You'd lose to an uber charger, who can do it in one full round.

Mr.Smashy
2011-11-02, 06:32 AM
OP has yet to respond as to what he means by "Break" the stone. Fabricate seems to be the preferred method of destroying things.

Ziegander
2011-11-02, 06:33 AM
Hrm... what's the hardness and HP of that much sandstone?

Hardness is only 8, checked once, but the hit points of the thing are 15 per inch of thickness. Normally we'd only be concerning ourselves with a wall which would be something like 10 inches wide or so, but since this is a sphere width isn't exactly an applicable measurement. The circumference is a bit more than 90 inches, and the volume is roughly 165 cu inches. I don't know how to adjudicate spherical object hit points in D&D, but however it's done it's going to be multiple thousands.

EDIT: Wait, no. A hewn stone wall has 540hp per section (whatever the hell that means), and is 3ft thick. The sphere's diameter is a bit wider than two hewn stone wall sections, so we'll need 3 sections across and 3 sections high to come up with a comparable space. This means that in total the area of the hewn stone wall would be 54 sections, or 29,160hp. Of course, the sphere fits in that area but is only somewhat larger than 24 sections, or 12,960hp. So, finally, I conclude that the sphere has somewhere between 12,960hp and 29,160hp, erring closer to 13,000hp.

The Boz
2011-11-02, 06:43 AM
Fabricate some bullets.

DoctorGlock
2011-11-02, 06:54 AM
Stone shape the thing in half?

Ziegander
2011-11-02, 07:14 AM
Wait, sorry, you can calculate its hp per 5ft square. It occupies the space of roughly four 5ft squares (like a large creature). Each square is 60 inches, meaning each square has, roughly 900hp. 3,600hp isn't insurmountable. Each square should have roughly the same break DC as a hewn stone wall (3ft of stone), for a Strength check of 50. That's also not terribly impossible.

silver spectre
2011-11-02, 07:14 AM
For a variety of reasons, I'm competing in a tournament where I need to break a 1-meter-radius boulder made of sandstone before anyone else. Or else.

I'm a tenth-level wizard/mage of the arcane order, so it seems like it should be possible, I just can't figure out how. Help? :smallbiggrin:

Though I suppose it's possible that I'm meant to fail this, I wouldn't mind disappointing the GM in that respect. :P

Stone shape (standard action spell) it into a paper thin, hollow, and elongated cone (Point down).
It should simply collapse quickly under its own weight.
If it doesn't immediately fall over then fall on it (a free action) yourself to push it over.

Elfinor
2011-11-02, 07:32 AM

Though I suppose it's possible that I'm meant to fail this, I wouldn't mind disappointing the GM in that respect. :P Your GM is clearly looking for some creativity; he wants you to think outside the box.

Kill the other contestants.

Lapak
2011-11-02, 07:53 AM
It's the size of a Large creature. You're a 10th-level wizard. Teleport straight up and take it with you; the fall should break it quite handily.

docnessuno
2011-11-02, 07:54 AM
Shrink object
Telekinesis, to make it fly high in the air
Ready an action to dispel your shrink object as soon as you stop concentratinon telekinesis
Let the massive boulder fall on something hard. it should break.

Edit: Ninjaed by teleport, if that works it's better

Qwertystop
2011-11-02, 07:54 AM
Your GM is clearly looking for some creativity, he wants you to think outside the box.

Kill the other contestants.

Use your first round to prevent anyone else from getting to their boulder. I would not advise killing, but various walls might help, or paralysis, or tying them up. Injury might go too far.

Then just take as long as you want hitting it with a perfectly normal knife. Or punching it, even.

legomaster00156
2011-11-02, 08:21 AM
It's the size of a Large creature. You're a 10th-level wizard. Teleport straight up and take it with you; the fall should break it quite handily.

Yeah, I'm sure 20d6 damage will break it...

Baughn
2011-11-02, 08:21 AM
Oh, wow. This went faster than expected..

Right, from the top then:

- It's a 1-meter-radius sphere, which translates to 150 cubic feet. It has somewhere between 600 and 20000 hit points, and hardness 8. It weighs several thousand pounds.

- Physics is not allowed; the GM tends to house-rules stuff like that, but generally whichever way makes magic less powerful. He's then consistent about it, which we've occasionally exploited.
- No scrolls. Has to be my own magic.
- Hmm. Yes, looks like rock to mud would work!
- I could conceivably kill it with fire, but not *quickly*. I also have elemental substitution(cold), which might help but would still be too slow.
- Telekinesis isn't powerful enough to lift this. Calculations show it at several thousand pounds. Telekinesis maxes out at 375.
- Fabricate is too slow, otherwise it'd be a good idea.
- "Break", as in no longer a boulder and not capable of rolling and creating squished wizard. Other options that merely stop it from rolling don't count; there are judges. (Yes, I could stop it with wall of force. No, no point really; any course of action taking long enough that this would help would be pointless.)
- Teleporting it requires me to be able to lift it. My strength rating is 7. We figure I'd need about 52.
- Interference with the other competitors would disqualify me. Just as well, really, since the same goes for them.
- Shrink object can't affect anything that large.

So it goes... rock to mud, I guess.

The Boz
2011-11-02, 08:29 AM
How about summoning a large elemental, or something similar? Fire or Magma could work.

Baughn
2011-11-02, 08:35 AM
That would do.. how much damage in a round?

I've basically got my solution now, I think: It's rock to mud. I can cast that in two rounds.

faceroll
2011-11-02, 08:37 AM
If you polymorph into a huge centipede (10HD), and cast bite of the werebear on yourself, you can lift over 9,000 lbs.

Ziegander
2011-11-02, 08:39 AM
If you polymorph into a huge centipede (10HD), and cast bite of the werebear on yourself, you can lift over 9,000 lbs.

And do what after he's lifted it?

The Boz
2011-11-02, 08:41 AM
It wouldn't be about the damage, because that could take a while, but about heating the rock up constantly. If it was me, I'd convince my DM that a lava elemental hugging a boulder makes it vulnerable to a sudden cone of cold.
Too bad you're only level 10. Level 6 spells have SO MANY options in this case. Stone to Flesh is a particularly disgusting example.

Cespenar
2011-11-02, 08:44 AM
Prepare an Explosive Runes notebook beforehand?

Then shout something like "This is the power of literacy!" as you voluntarily fail your check on Dispel Magic.

Lapak
2011-11-02, 08:45 AM
Stone shape (standard action spell) it into a paper thin, hollow, and elongated cone (Point down).
It should simply collapse quickly under its own weight.
If it doesn't immediately fall over then fall on it (a free action) yourself to push it over.If Teleport is out, I like this plan best. Single standard action, then things take care of themselves.

Baughn
2011-11-02, 09:08 AM
"10 cu. ft + 1 cu. ft / level"
"150 cu. ft boulder"

I'm not saying your idea is bad, really I'm not.

DeadManSleeping
2011-11-02, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I'm sure 20d6 damage will break it...

20d6 damage is the approximation of the equal and opposite force of a terminal velocity human (175-ish lbs) hitting the ground. The reaction to a boulder (a ton or two) would be much more.

The Boz
2011-11-02, 09:50 AM
"150 cu. ft boulder"

Destroying half a boulder still counts.

silver spectre
2011-11-02, 09:58 AM
"150 cu. ft boulder"

Yeah... I missed that, and given that the challenge apparently involves the boulder rolling at you, the range of touch could be problematic as well.

Wall of stone could work for that. Just shape and add the wall in such a way that it will no longer roll.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-02, 10:06 AM
Yeah... I missed that, and given that the challenge apparently involves the boulder rolling at you, the range of touch could be problematic as well.

Wall of stone could work for that. Just shape and add the wall in such a way that it will no longer roll.

Bonus points: Stone Shape it into a Wall of Stone.

With Rock to Mud, you have the possibility of a mud ball bowling towards you. I'd prepare a sonic or force spell that could target it as a follow just in case. A good sonic attack should make a mud ball go SPLAT. Just hope there are no neat freak judges.

faceroll
2011-11-02, 10:45 AM
Wall of Stone requires anchoring both ends of the spell in stone. Have the boulder be one end of the spell?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-02, 10:47 AM
Wall of Stone requires anchoring both ends of the spell in stone. Have the boulder be one end of the spell?

Is it possible to bisect the boulder with Wall of Stone? I know normally the spell fails if it occupies the same space as something but your just adding an anchor point.

CTrees
2011-11-02, 10:48 AM
That would do.. how much damage in a round?

I've basically got my solution now, I think: It's rock to mud. I can cast that in two rounds.

Why does it take two rounds? It's medium range, one standard action to cast, and at tenth level you get 200cu.ft - more than enough volume.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-02, 10:49 AM
Just cast an illusion of the boulder being broken.:smallwink:

Qwertystop
2011-11-02, 10:51 AM
Just cast an illusion of the boulder being broken.:smallwink:

If it's rolling towards you, you still get squished.

CTrees
2011-11-02, 10:58 AM
Argh, I thought I had a comedy option. Man, access to sixth level spells would make this so much more entertaining. I was going to say, Animate Objects. It's not a touch spell, and the boulder will become a large animated object, at which point you only have to do 52 damage (same DR) to destroy it-should be doable w/ a quickened spell. Then I double checked and realized it was a 6th level spell, and not on the wizard list. Still, it's a hilarious trick to pull on an unsuspecting DM.

deuxhero
2011-11-02, 11:00 AM
Heroics+Stone Dragon Lockpick.

faceroll
2011-11-02, 11:17 AM
Heroics+Stone Dragon Lockpick.

That would take all day.

ILM
2011-11-02, 11:24 AM
Why does it take two rounds?
I'm guessing one round to get the spell via MotAO.

Seharvepernfan
2011-11-02, 11:29 AM
Use your elemental substitution to make your spells deal sonic damage, that's the only element that does full damage to objects.

Sandstone is one of the softer rocks, it's easier to break than most. I think realistically a long fall would break it, and remember, the 20d6 damage cap is only for distance, damage from weight has no cap.

Do the other contestants have boulders as well?

Do the shrink item - telekinesis whatever it was trick, but with someone elses boulder, dropping theirs on yours.

faceroll
2011-11-02, 11:31 AM
10 caster levels is not enough levels to shrink a boulder even half as big.

Doughnut Master
2011-11-02, 11:31 AM
I'd use shrink item along with the "clothlike material" option. If you got a set of shears handy, you could make a lovely cutout of a snowflake. Style points!
EDIT: Nevermind. Size restrictions.

faceroll
2011-11-02, 11:33 AM
I'd use shrink item along with the "clothlike material" option. If you got a set of shears handy, you could make a lovely cutout of a snowflake. Style points!

I'd just jump on it and turn it into a giant gold coin.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-02, 11:38 AM
I'd just jump on it and turn it into a giant gold coin.

How exactly will this work?

Dr.Epic
2011-11-02, 11:39 AM
If it's rolling towards you, you still get squished.

Just make a diplomacy check with it.:smallwink::smalltongue:

faceroll
2011-11-02, 11:46 AM
How exactly will this work?

Oh I though we were talking about what we'd do if we disregarded the constraints of this particular exercise.

Baughn
2011-11-02, 12:28 PM
I don't have stone to mud in my spellbook. The only reason I *can* cast it is that I'm a mage of the arcane order, so I can cast *any* wizardly spell in two rounds.

I can get around the touch range using a spectral hand, however.

Templarkommando
2011-11-02, 12:42 PM
If it doesn't matter where the boulder starts, I'd say drop it off a cliff.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-11-02, 04:01 PM
What you want to do is give the boulder levels in BeBoulder Mage. Then it'll be totally broken.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-02, 04:04 PM
What you want to do is give the boulder levels in BeBoulder Mage. Then it'll be totally broken.

I see what you did there. Clever. :smallannoyed:

deuxhero
2011-11-02, 04:25 PM

Hello? Pun police?

sabelo2000
2011-11-02, 10:23 PM
Nope, it's allowable because he has two-weapon fighting and specialization in Entendre.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-11-02, 11:47 PM
I imagine the verbal component of crushing despair is a pun of that groan-magnitude. But for super-serial, you could stone shape a thin cross section of the boulder in the middle to cut it in half.

Diefje
2011-11-03, 12:20 AM
Passwall! Touch, but should work on anything stone and softer. Make a manshaped tunnel through it, awww yeah.

faceroll
2011-11-03, 01:10 AM
Passwall! Touch, but should work on anything stone and softer. Make a manshaped tunnel through it, awww yeah.

Oh, good idea! I'd put it on the ground below it, though. Do you think a 25' fall would be enough to break it? Does it count as broken if it sits at the bottom of a hole for 9 hours before being absorbed into the ground?

Though passwall only works on "walls."

CTrees
2011-11-03, 08:20 AM
Oh, good idea! I'd put it on the ground below it, though. Do you think a 25' fall would be enough to break it? Does it count as broken if it sits at the bottom of a hole for 9 hours before being absorbed into the ground?

Though passwall only works on "walls."

Apply a definition of "wall" somewhere between "liberal" and "existential."