PDA

View Full Version : Honest Dishonesty-Optimizing a Scoundrel

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-02, 06:39 AM
After my last campaign fell through less than 3 sessions in, I decided to shelf the build I was going to run there for a while, and also see if I could find a new group to play with. Well, I have found a new group, and have thus decided to turn to the playground for help with the new build I've set my mind on. Namely, a scoundrel-type one.

I have nothing like Class set in stone yet, but I believe I want to be either a Human or any LA+0 Race with a dex bonus, because I plan on this character using some of the hidden blades present in Complete Scoundrel, along with the Weapon Finesse feat. I also want the character to have a ton of skill points if at all possible, and any useful skill trick recommendations would be appriciated.

With that in mind, any suggestions for class, useful tools, poisons, etc, would be appreciated. As would any feat suggestions or the like.

If it helps anyone's ideas, I'm going to play him like a fusion of Han Solo and Jack Sparrow. P.S. To that effect, any witty one liners you could offer and the situation they'd be appropriate would also be appreciated. :smallbiggrin:

Quirp
2011-11-02, 07:37 AM
Without knowing your class yet some items come to mind that most scoundrels like: -Gloves of Object Reading (3000 gp) EPH
-Belt of many pockets (11000 gp) CA
-Vest of resistance +X CA
-Possum Pouch (1800 gp) CAdv
-Sandals of Harmonious balance (14000 gp) CAdv
-Spool of endless rope (2000 gp) CAdv
-Heward´s fortifying bedroll (3000 gp) CAdv
-Heward´s Handy Haversack (I don´t know gp) DMG

you should look into hidden spaces in CS, making them lead lined for some extra money protects the stuff inside from detection by spells

for the good looks of your character: dragonhide mantles from the Draconomicon

Socratov
2011-11-02, 07:42 AM
I will leave the exact build to others, but on the theme (solo and sparrow) I think it is great to discuss skilltricks (a scoundrel type without tricks is no scoundrel at all).

So. Captain jack Sparrow and Han Solo... Both persons rely on their acrobatics in combat. Han solo is the true master of tumbling in combat, while Sparrow's signature move involves a rope, a high point, weights and leverage and swinging. As a wildcard (while keeping into the theme) I would liek to introduce good old Indy.

So we will need to look into acrobatic tricks:

Acrobatic backstab: great for a bit of Solo action. You will want to use this with a sneak attacker though...

Back on your feat: useful, but within the theme, no. You are not a ninja.

Corner perch: this one is great. Both Han Solo and jack Sparrow as well as Indy often need to fight in tight places, on top of that all 3 of them have shown they are agile enough to do this.

Dismount attack: ehm.. no, unless you will use a mount (which all 3 of them almost never use), don't take it.

Escape attack: mandatory. They all use it frequently.

Extreme leap: Yes for Indy and Sparrow, not so much for Solo... take on your own discretion

Leaping climber: see Extreme leap

Nimble Charge: used literally all the bloody time by all bloody 3 of 'em

Nimble stand: see back on your feet

Quick Swimmer: only for jack sparrow, Indy and Solo not so much.

Slipping past: check, double check and triple check. A *ding* on all three of our heroes.

Speedy Ascent: again, a major factor of the success for Indy and jack, again, not so much for Han.

Tumbling crawl: typical scoundrel's get-out-of-danger-free card.take this.

Twisted Chrage: no.

Up the Hill: ditto.

Walk the walls: again, not a ninja...

Wall Jumper: see above.

then there are the manipulation tricks (only showing the relevant ones):

Clever Improviser: AKA the Indy Ploy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IndyPloy), if there is one skill trick that really defines scoundrels it's this one. Any scoundrel knows that you can never plan ahead efficiently, so natuarlly you improvise the hell out of it. Any traps encountered, any locked doors. There is always another option (also, cue MacGyver). this fits the theme for any scoundrel.

Easy Escape: this. is. MANDATORY! When defingin scoundrels: they don't only have tricks up their sleeve and make their plans up on the go, but they always escape anything.

Hidden Blade, this one you wanted to use right? so no discussion here.

Opening tap: nice, but no priority.

Quick escape: follow up for Easy Escape. Take it later on if you think you need it.

Sudden draw: you are using hidden blades... so this is mandatory as well.

Whip climber: saves you equipment (scoundrels are most of the time not the high str brutes, so saving weight is quite a nice touch), also Indy anyone?

Concluding the tricks you will want we can see you will want a lot (especially wanting to emulate Solo, Indy and Sparrow) of skillpoints. I advise you to take rogue and invest in INT (along with STR, CON and DEX), possibly take weapon finesse, dip swashbuckler maybe, but get a lot of skillpoints so you can keep getting tricks and be able to meet the prereqs.

Have fun!

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-02, 09:03 AM
Without knowing your class yet some items come to mind that most scoundrels like: -Gloves of Object Reading (3000 gp) EPH
-Belt of many pockets (11000 gp) CA
-Vest of resistance +X CA
-Possum Pouch (1800 gp) CAdv
-Sandals of Harmonious balance (14000 gp) CAdv
-Spool of endless rope (2000 gp) CAdv
-Heward´s fortifying bedroll (3000 gp) CAdv
-Heward´s Handy Haversack (I don´t know gp) DMG

you should look into hidden spaces in CS, making them lead lined for some extra money protects the stuff inside from detection by spells

for the good looks of your character: dragonhide mantles from the Draconomicon

:) I'll look those up as soon as I'm back with my books. Thanks for the suggestions!!

I will leave the exact build to others, but on the theme (solo and sparrow) I think it is great to discuss skilltricks (a scoundrel type without tricks is no scoundrel at all).

So. Captain jack Sparrow and Han Solo... Both persons rely on their acrobatics in combat. Han solo is the true master of tumbling in combat, while Sparrow's signature move involves a rope, a high point, weights and leverage and swinging. As a wildcard (while keeping into the theme) I would liek to introduce good old Indy.

So we will need to look into acrobatic tricks:

Acrobatic backstab: great for a bit of Solo action. You will want to use this with a sneak attacker though...

Back on your feat: useful, but within the theme, no. You are not a ninja.

Corner perch: this one is great. Both Han Solo and jack Sparrow as well as Indy often need to fight in tight places, on top of that all 3 of them have shown they are agile enough to do this.

Dismount attack: ehm.. no, unless you will use a mount (which all 3 of them almost never use), don't take it.

Escape attack: mandatory. They all use it frequently.

Extreme leap: Yes for Indy and Sparrow, not so much for Solo... take on your own discretion

Leaping climber: see Extreme leap

Nimble Charge: used literally all the bloody time by all bloody 3 of 'em

Nimble stand: see back on your feet

Quick Swimmer: only for jack sparrow, Indy and Solo not so much.

Slipping past: check, double check and triple check. A *ding* on all three of our heroes.

Speedy Ascent: again, a major factor of the success for Indy and jack, again, not so much for Han.

Tumbling crawl: typical scoundrel's get-out-of-danger-free card.take this.

Twisted Chrage: no.

Up the Hill: ditto.

Walk the walls: again, not a ninja...

Wall Jumper: see above.

then there are the manipulation tricks (only showing the relevant ones):

Clever Improviser: AKA the Indy Ploy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IndyPloy), if there is one skill trick that really defines scoundrels it's this one. Any scoundrel knows that you can never plan ahead efficiently, so natuarlly you improvise the hell out of it. Any traps encountered, any locked doors. There is always another option (also, cue MacGyver). this fits the theme for any scoundrel.

Easy Escape: this. is. MANDATORY! When defingin scoundrels: they don't only have tricks up their sleeve and make their plans up on the go, but they always escape anything.

Hidden Blade, this one you wanted to use right? so no discussion here.

Opening tap: nice, but no priority.

Quick escape: follow up for Easy Escape. Take it later on if you think you need it.

Sudden draw: you are using hidden blades... so this is mandatory as well.

Whip climber: saves you equipment (scoundrels are most of the time not the high str brutes, so saving weight is quite a nice touch), also Indy anyone?

Concluding the tricks you will want we can see you will want a lot (especially wanting to emulate Solo, Indy and Sparrow) of skillpoints. I advise you to take rogue and invest in INT (along with STR, CON and DEX), possibly take weapon finesse, dip swashbuckler maybe, but get a lot of skillpoints so you can keep getting tricks and be able to meet the prereqs.

Have fun!

:D Thanks for the breakdown. Yeah, I was planning on snagging quite a few of these, so knowing which will fit the theme is handy. And shame on me for forgetting Indy. XD

sirpercival
2011-11-02, 09:17 AM
For a skillful character it's hard to beat Factotum. Fantastic class. And hidden blades + iaijutsu focus = win.

Elfinor
2011-11-02, 09:34 AM
^Factotum is very awesome.

Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 16 (CW) is also a pretty good choice - You get full Sneak Attack and nearly full BAB with Daring Outlaw (Complete Scoundrel). Make sure to use the Swashbuckler's dead levels ability (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x) and enjoy the look on your DM's face when you ask, "Is he physically attracted to me?"
Somtimes 'she' can get a better response if you have a yaoi-obsessed DM

For both Factotum or Daring Outlaw, you may also wish to dip (or more than dip) Warblade (Iron Heart especially) or Swordsage for all the crazy maneuvers that Jack Sparrow does.

EDIT: The Penetrating Strike (Dungeonscape) ACF (replaces Trap Sense) is practically a must-have for the Daring Outlaw build, as well as most Rogue builds in general. It lets you deal half sneak attack damage to creatures who are otherwise immune to it.

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-02, 09:48 AM
For a skillful character it's hard to beat Factotum. Fantastic class. And hidden blades + iaijutsu focus = win.

What book is Factotum in? And I have heard good things about Iaijutsu focus though I need to look that up too. :D

Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 16 (CW) is also a pretty good choice - You get full Sneak Attack and nearly full BAB with Daring Outlaw (Complete Scoundrel). Make sure to use the Swashbuckler's dead levels ability (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x) and enjoy the look on your DM's face when you ask, "Is he physically attracted to me?"

For both Factotum or Daring Outlaw, you may also wish to dip (or more than dip) Warblade (Iron Heart especially) or Swordsage for all the crazy maneuvers that Jack Sparrow does.

XD I like the Rogue/Swashbuckler build, but I think I'll decline that feature...don't wanna bother my DM that badly. :smalltongue:

What ratio of Swordsage/Warblade to Factotum/Daring Outlaw would you(or anyone else) suggest?

Socratov
2011-11-02, 09:48 AM

I'd rather go with daring outlaw: swashbuckler 3/rogue 17, granted you lose some bab, but you will have waayy more skillpoints (yes, those 2 per level do matter since it is essentially an extra skilltrick), and you might wanna fit in battle trickster (CS) and/or uncanny trickster (last one will allow you to keep your sneak dice maxed at level 20), and both will give you tricks and extra handy abilities etc.

sirpercival
2011-11-02, 09:56 AM
Factotum is in Dungeonscape. It's one of my favorite classes -- you can do a little of everything. A skillful class that's tier 3. One of the nice things is you have EVERY SKILL as a class skill, including random ones like Iaijutsu Focus, Autohypnosis, UMD and UPD. And, at 8th level you get the ability to generate additional standard actions.

There's nothing wrong with Factotum 20 (and you can take Font of Inspiration (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606) as every feat if your Int is high enough, which makes you ungodly), but I wouldn't break before 8. Factotum 8/Warblade X with Iaijutsu is a great melee build.

Check out the handbook: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871722/The_Factotum_Handbook

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-02, 10:06 AM
Factotum is in Dungeonscape. It's one of my favorite classes -- you can do a little of everything. A skillful class that's tier 3. One of the nice things is you have EVERY SKILL as a class skill, including random ones like Iaijutsu Focus, Autohypnosis, UMD and UPD. And, at 8th level you get the ability to generate additional standard actions.

There's nothing wrong with Factotum 20 (and you can take Font of Inspiration (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606) as every feat if your Int is high enough, which makes you ungodly), but I wouldn't break before 8. Factotum 8/Warblade X with Iaijutsu is a great melee build.

Check out the handbook: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871722/The_Factotum_Handbook

I have just read the hand-book, and I have just one thing to say.

This build will have Factotum in it. How many levels, I don't know.(I'm tempted to just go straight with it, but if someone presents a compelling arguement for multi-classing, like the Factotum 8/Warblade 8 above, I'll consider it. :D)

sirpercival
2011-11-02, 10:12 AM
Yay! I love factotum and it makes me happy every time someone else discovers its bossitude.

As for multiclassing, it depends on what you want to do. Int synergy and IHS make Warblade awesome for melee-oriented factoti. You could also go with Wizard or Archivist if you want to be more of a caster, though your casting will be severely crippled. If you don't mind being MAD, you could snag two levels of ardent with Practiced Manifester and get some psionics as well.

But Factotum 20 is awesome. The 19th-level ability is just fantastic.

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-02, 10:28 AM
Yay! I love factotum and it makes me happy every time someone else discovers its bossitude.

As for multiclassing, it depends on what you want to do. Int synergy and IHS make Warblade awesome for melee-oriented factoti. You could also go with Wizard or Archivist if you want to be more of a caster, though your casting will be severely crippled. If you don't mind being MAD, you could snag two levels of ardent with Practiced Manifester and get some psionics as well.

But Factotum 20 is awesome. The 19th-level ability is just fantastic.

:smallbiggrin: Glad to hear I made your day.

He's meant to be a skill monkey/underhanded fighter(Not Class, word.), using his agility and brains to outwit others both in fights and in general. Any good multi-classing for that?

Hmmm, the arguement for straight Factotum gets stronger. :smallbiggrin:

sirpercival
2011-11-02, 10:31 AM

He's meant to be a skill monkey/underhanded fighter(Not Class, word.), using his agility and brains to outwit others both in fights and in general. Any good multi-classing for that?

Yes, for that concept I would multiclass factotum with MORE FACTOTUM.

Seriously. Just run with it, and have a TON of fun. In a gestalt game I'm playing a straight Artificer//Factotum named Mack Gaiverre. He's a ridiculous swiss army knife.

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-02, 10:45 AM
Yes, for that concept I would multiclass factotum with MORE FACTOTUM.

Seriously. Just run with it, and have a TON of fun. In a gestalt game I'm playing a straight Artificer//Factotum named Mack Gaiverre. He's a ridiculous swiss army knife.

:D Nice. I will. XD

Though I still need to determine feats, race, useful poisons, tools and equiptment, and catchy one-liners or a catchphrase. :smallbiggrin:

Mooncrow
2011-11-02, 11:03 AM
Swordsage isn't a bad multi with factotum either - you can pick up sneak attack and some other decent goodies.

Fearan
2011-11-02, 11:07 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190607

Here be Iron Chef contest for dread pirate.

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-02, 11:08 AM
Swordsage isn't a bad multi with factotum either - you can pick up sneak attack and some other decent goodies.

I can believe it. :D Problem is, I know me(I love Swordsages.) so I'd have trouble figuring out the right ratio of class-to-class. Easier to go straight Factotum.

sirpercival
2011-11-02, 11:22 AM
Well, the best races are those with Int bonuses, of course. If you can use "Fire Variant Races" from the SRD as a template, you can get +2 Int -2 Cha.

Other than that... changeling is a great pair with factotum, as is Strongheart Halfling.

(Oh, that reminds me -- another possible class pairing is 2 levels of Chameleon, for the floating feat.)

For feats... get Font of Inspiration as many times as humanly possible. It's the currency that powers your abilities, and with it you can completely destroy the action economy.

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-02, 11:30 AM
Well, the best races are those with Int bonuses, of course. If you can use "Fire Variant Races" from the SRD as a template, you can get +2 Int -2 Cha.

Other than that... changeling is a great pair with factotum, as is Strongheart Halfling.

(Oh, that reminds me -- another possible class pairing is 2 levels of Chameleon, for the floating feat.)

For feats... get Font of Inspiration as many times as humanly possible. It's the currency that powers your abilities, and with it you can completely destroy the action economy.

Good advice, thanks. :smallsmile: Though I'm also planning on picking up Weapon Finesse, and making my Dex my second-highest score. :smallcool:

Mooncrow
2011-11-02, 11:41 AM
Or the usual whisper gnome, and swap racial weapon profs for quickrazor.

sirpercival
2011-11-02, 11:47 AM
Good advice, thanks. :smallsmile: Though I'm also planning on picking up Weapon Finesse, and making my Dex my second-highest score. :smallcool:

You can also grab Shadow Blade, especially if you dip a level of swordsage.

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-02, 11:49 AM
You can also grab Shadow Blade, especially if you dip a level of swordsage.

Hmmm, good point. 1 Swordsage/19 Factotum?

sirpercival
2011-11-02, 11:52 AM
Yes, since you still get Cunning Brilliance that way. AND, if your DM is heavy on RAW, you get x6 skill points at first level as a swordsage. :D

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-02, 11:55 AM
Yes, since you still get Cunning Brilliance that way. AND, if your DM is heavy on RAW, you get x6 skill points at first level as a swordsage. :D

Nice. What's the per level though? Don't Factotum's get 8+Int mod? Cause I think my DM's a little more common sense than that. :smallbiggrin:

sirpercival
2011-11-02, 12:19 PM
6/level. Factotums do indeed get 8, so go with that if your DM won't allow the x6.

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-02, 12:20 PM
6/level. Factotums do indeed get 8, so go with that if your DM won't allow the x6.

Will do. :smallcool:

marcielle
2011-11-02, 12:21 PM
Leser planetouched Swyftlings have +4 to dex.

JackRackham
2011-11-02, 01:29 PM

Factotum 20 doesn't give anything special. I'd stick 1 level of sworsage somwhere in the mid-levels, take min over body and the will-save equivalent from diamond mind. Then, take whatever you please (I recommend shadow hand, definitely assassin's stance) to keep you relevant in melee when your spells run out. Manuevers (strikes, anyway) are usually standard actions, which is great with cunning surge. The go-to move: assassin's stance (always), shadow garrote, enemy's flatfooted now, so scunning surge and cast corching ray (2d6 sneak attack/ray...). He's dead. Laugh heartily.

sirpercival
2011-11-02, 01:32 PM
Factotum 20 doesn't give anything special. I'd stick 1 level of sworsage somwhere in the mid-levels, take min over body and the will-save equivalent from diamond mind. Then, take whatever you please (I recommend shadow hand, definitely assassin's stance) to keep you relevant in melee when your spells run out. Manuevers (strikes, anyway) are usually standard actions, which is great with cunning surge. The go-to move: assassin's stance (always), shadow garrote, enemy's flatfooted now, so scunning surge and cast corching ray (2d6 sneak attack/ray...). He's dead. Laugh heartily.

He's already adding 1 swordsage, for Shadow Blade as well.

And, you forgot Iaijutsu Focus. Have to put that in there.

JackRackham
2011-11-02, 01:37 PM
Right, I didn't catch that. One more fun thing to do, though: polymoprh into a hydra (assassin's stance, always). Sneak attack on as many attacks as your HD (works great with greater invisibility, when you get it...).

JackRackham
2011-11-02, 02:18 PM

Hate to be a buzzkill, but factotums get 6 skill points/level. Also, the swordsage x6 was fixed in the errata. Besides, you get the most out of it by taking it later. The most playable way to dip a martial adept is to fiigure out what manuevers/stances you really want, then take it when your initiator level is high enough. IMO, of course.

sirpercival
2011-11-02, 02:29 PM
Crap, you're right. Oops.

But, what ToB errata?

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-02, 03:37 PM
Hate to be a buzzkill, but factotums get 6 skill points/level. Also, the swordsage x6 was fixed in the errata. Besides, you get the most out of it by taking it later. The most playable way to dip a martial adept is to fiigure out what manuevers/stances you really want, then take it when your initiator level is high enough. IMO, of course.

True, but given the Factotum's need for a high Int, they'd probably still get plenty of skill points.

JackRackham
2011-11-02, 03:49 PM
I don't know where I found it off hand, but if I'll link to it when I get home, in case someone wants to glance over it.

Elfinor
2011-11-02, 03:54 PM
Also, the swordsage x6 was fixed in the errata.
But, what ToB errata? He means the errata for Complete Mage:smalltongue: Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a)'s the link if you want to make sure you've got Abjurant Champion right.

*Ahem* Couldn't resist:smallbiggrin:. And, to be at least somewhat constructive, I agree that delaying the Swordsage level for a while (depending on fave maneuvers) would probably net you better results.

Socratov
2011-11-02, 06:32 PM
as far as I know, no official errata exist for ToB, lthough anyone can see the 6+int * 6 skillpoints are a major typo... just see if your DM let's it fly...

Elfinor
2011-11-02, 06:50 PM
I think the official errata page I linked to actually had the proper ToB errata at one stage - either way, WoTC should have made at least a token effort by posting errata for the correct book:smallannoyed: IIRC someone on Brilliant Gameologists posted an unofficial community-based ToB errata; but that's not much help until their boards are back. In the end the DM makes the rules anyway I guess.

Still, if you can find it JackRackham, that would be great:smallbiggrin:

JaronK
2011-11-02, 06:57 PM
Factotum with that oil stuff that you put on weapons for a one shot flat footed effect (it's in Complete Scoundrel IIRC). Nut shot people with spiked boots for massive Iaijutsu Focus damage!

JaronK

avr
2011-11-02, 09:18 PM
Changeling with their racial sub level for Rogue. 10+INT (x4) skill points at L1, and the social bonuses should be just fine for a character based on Harrison Ford Han Solo.

(ed: typed Changeling wrong first time)

kulosle
2011-11-03, 03:39 AM
a few suggestions

marshal is a good character for a skill monkey (cha to skills) and gives the build that captainy in charge feel.

the best race for you would be a venerable dragonwrought desert kobold. -4 str +2 dex +3 int +1 wis +3 cha.

and dervish fits the feel of your character a lot. tumble around attacking everyone insight. several feats and skill tricks help with tumbling and give you bonus when i do.

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-05, 12:32 PM
Bumped, as I still need a list of viable poisons(Yes, yes; I know that poison is a bad investment, but it fits my concept, and I rather like them. Besides, every creature rolls a 1 sooner or later. :smallcool:), useful tools a scoundrel type would have, and witty one-liners/catchphrases. :smallbiggrin:

sirpercival
2011-11-05, 12:34 PM
and witty one-liners/catchphrases. :smallbiggrin:

What's your character's name, race, and description?

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-05, 12:42 PM
What's your character's name, race, and description?

Name-Undecided
Race-Human
Description-Brown eyes, Black hair, small scruffy beard on his face, 5' 7" Tall and about 130 lbs.

P.S. Thanks for the help with this build sirpercival. :smallsmile:

sirpercival
2011-11-05, 12:55 PM
No problem. :D

Well, without a name I don't have any guidelines for which movie characters to steal lines from... but I'll see what I can do anyway.

You're going Factotum 19/Swordsage 1, right? (BTW make sure you take Sapphire Nightmare Blade to throw down some Iaijutsu Focus.)

With a small scruffy beard... we shall name him Lermo Stooth, alias "The Blue Mongrel". He dresses in a blue version of this (http://www.go.com.mt/gomobile/contentstore/preview/fulltrack/29/603497990375.jpg).

"You fool -- I couldn't find your brains with Locate Object!"
"The pen may be mightier than the sword, but why not use both?"
"My blade will thread your teeth with your guts!"
"Ha! I killed you when you weren't paying attention."

PS - I can't really help you on poisons or equipment... sorry.

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-05, 01:01 PM
No problem. :D

Well, without a name I don't have any guidelines for which movie characters to steal lines from... but I'll see what I can do anyway.

You're going Factotum 19/Swordsage 1, right? (BTW make sure you take Sapphire Nightmare Blade to throw down some Iaijutsu Focus.)

With a small scruffy beard... we shall name him Lermo Stooth, alias "The Blue Mongrel". He dresses in a blue version of this (http://www.go.com.mt/gomobile/contentstore/preview/fulltrack/29/603497990375.jpg).

"You fool -- I couldn't find your brains with Locate Object!"
"The pen may be mightier than the sword, but why not use both?"
"My blade will thread your teeth with your guts!"
"Ha! I killed you when you weren't paying attention."

PS - I can't really help you on poisons or equipment... sorry.

:)

Ok, I'm definetly snagging those...particularly the last one. :D

No biggie.

Zaq
2011-11-05, 01:19 PM
Don't forget my absolute favorite item from Complete Scoundrel: The Rod of Ropes—better known as A FREAKING HOOKSHOT. DO YOU WANT A HOOKSHOT. THIS IS NOT A QUESTION. THE ANSWER IS ONLY YES.

I don't know why I shifted into all caps there, but it felt right. I blame T-Rex.

Anyway, every character can use a hookshot, and scoundrels use them with panache. If you can't find a use for a hookshot, my friend, you're not trying hard enough.

It won't really help you talk your way out of a situation (unless you use a Chewbacca Defense-style "that's very nice, but I want to talk to you about this thing for a while. It's a hookshot! How cool is that?" sort of distraction), but it's great for getting where you need to go with the most style possible (well, OK, the most style possible when not riding atop a whale who is on a giant skateboard, which I have done. In-game. For reals), including the most dramatic entrances and exits.

Not sure where I was going with this. Just get a Rod of Ropes. Then bull rush two people in two different directions at once. As a move action.

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-05, 01:26 PM
Don't forget my absolute favorite item from Complete Scoundrel: The Rod of Ropes—better known as A FREAKING HOOKSHOT. DO YOU WANT A HOOKSHOT. THIS IS NOT A QUESTION. THE ANSWER IS ONLY YES.

I don't know why i shifted into all caps there, but it felt right. I blame T-Rex.

Anyway, every character can use a hookshot, and scoundrels use them with panache. If you can't find a use for a hookshot, my friend, you're not trying hard enough.

It won't really help you talk your way out of a situation (unless you use a Chewbacca Defense-style "that's very nice, but I want to talk to you about this thing for a while. It's a hookshot! How cool is that?" sort of distraction), but it's great for getting where you need to go with the most style possible (well, OK, the most style possible when not riding atop a whale who is on a giant skateboard, which I have done. In-game. For reals), including the most dramatic entrances and exits.

Not sure where I was going with this. Just get a Rod of Ropes. Then bull rush two people in two different directions at once. As a move action.

Edit-Nevermind. XD I see where it comes from now.

marcielle
2011-11-05, 05:00 PM
Poison wise, get a wand, and later your party arcanist to minor creation you some Black lotus poison. IIRC it is so expensive the wand was actually cheaper than the poison, tho I may be wrong. It should do a ton of Con damage and will outright kill a lot of things at low levels. The only bad thing about it is the DC20 Fort save. But get it on a wizard and he might die on the spot(this assumes 'proper' old men wizards, not the muchkins who for some reason have stratospheric Con despite probably never excersing)
If you can convince your DM, just pay a wizard to cast this spell for you once as soon as you can. Several cubic feet ought to last you forever, or until poison becomes utterly useless.Scratch that, it only lasts a few hours.

Also, another nice thing about it is that is CONTACT. Which means you can load it into a sprayer(Arms & Equipment Guide p. 25) and hit everything in a 10 ft. line. And do it again and again(1 loading shoots 3 times).

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-05, 05:13 PM
Poison wise, get a wand, and later your party arcanist to minor creation you some Black lotus poison. IIRC it is so expensive the wand was actually cheaper than the poison, tho I may be wrong. It should do a ton of Con damage and will outright kill a lot of things at low levels. The only bad thing about it is the DC20 Fort save. But get it on a wizard and he might die on the spot(this assumes 'proper' old men wizards, not the muchkins who for some reason have stratospheric Con despite probably never excersing)
If you can convince your DM, just pay a wizard to cast this spell for you once as soon as you can. Several cubic feet ought to last you forever, or until poison becomes utterly useless.Scratch that, it only lasts a few hours.

Good advice, will do. :smallsmile:

marcielle
2011-11-05, 05:19 PM
See my edit about the sprayer to get 3 times the chance of poisoning. Arguably, you can minor creation it INTO the sprayer directly, bypassing the whole 'oops, you poisoned yourself' scenario. I don't remember any rule saying multiple applications of poison DON'T STACK. This means(agains class level users as opposed to monsters) it is literally more efficient for you to keep spraying poison than actually fight lol.
Try to dual wield these. If you get lucky, 6d6 Con damage will pretty much nerf anything into oblivion.
If I got this right, it will cost 11, 000 gp for a wand of this so push for a half charged cos by the time you can afford 11,000. Poisons are nearing the end of their use, even Black Lotus.

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-06, 12:30 AM
See my edit about the sprayer to get 3 times the chance of poisoning. Arguably, you can minor creation it INTO the sprayer directly, bypassing the whole 'oops, you poisoned yourself' scenario. I don't remember any rule saying multiple applications of poison DON'T STACK. This means(agains class level users as opposed to monsters) it is literally more efficient for you to keep spraying poison than actually fight lol.
Try to dual wield these. If you get lucky, 6d6 Con damage will pretty much nerf anything into oblivion.
If I got this right, it will cost 11, 000 gp for a wand of this so push for a half charged cos by the time you can afford 11,000. Poisons are nearing the end of their use, even Black Lotus.

Once again, thanks for the advice. :D

ScrambledBrains
2011-11-12, 06:00 PM
Report-Factotum and Iaijutsu focus rock, and I killed my first enemy in one blow during my first game last wendsday. XD All their skills are killer, but opportunistic piety and the arcane one are the best.

kulosle
2011-11-12, 06:04 PM
unfortunately opportunistic piety gets less good the higher levels you get. it doesn't scale well by level. but at low levels you are one of the best healers because of it. unfortunately it doesn't count as turn undead so you can't do all the amazing things with that you can with turn undead.

classy one
2011-11-13, 12:35 PM
I would personally recommend the [URL=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b]psychic rogue/[URL]. It is INT based so you will have load of skill points. It's powers can more than make up for anything you lack.

Venger
2011-11-13, 05:02 PM
congrats on factotum! I am playing one right now, and it's the best. definitely one of the best ways to go into chameleon

however, factotum 19's cunning brilliance is unparalleled in its awesomeness.

if you want to do poison things, read "Arsenic and Old Lace: a poisoner's handbook" on the BG forums (down right now, but you can find a cached version) you do have poisonmaking (and everything else) as a class skill.

as far as factotum goes, as amazing as the book of weaboo fightan magic is for swordsage dips, mindbender 1 (complete arcane) is a very popular dip for factoti:

you can get in at lvl 5 since it requires 5th lvl spells or SLAS which your arcane dilettante is, and you can cast charm person with it, and bluff/diplomacy/intimidate/sense motive 4 are trivial for someone with them all as class skills, you can take care of that at 1st level with room to spare.

mindbender 1 gives telepathy, advances your arcane dilettante uses/day, and gives you a lvl of good fort/will saves (which is nice) but the important part is that telepathy qualifies you for the mindsight feat , from Lords of madness

http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-1960-mindsight.html

it functions as essentially a kind of radar for intelligent creatures and lets you communicate with anything that has a language. with the social skills you'll have as a factotum, telepathic coercion or suggestions, conversations or talking to party members when you don't want to be heard by bad guys can be very useful, especially since telepathy allows you to talk to multiple people at once.

factotum 5/ mindbender1/factotum 19 will let you do pretty much the same things as factotum 20, which doesn't get much extra.

good luck with your character!