PDA

View Full Version : A Monk variant

silver spectre
2011-11-02, 11:11 AM
Not much fluff involved with this.
I just incorporated ideas that I have seen (from sources I can't specifically remember so if I step on any toes please let me know) or thought of over the years.
Please PEACH at will.

MONK
Alignment: Any non chaotic.
Hit Die: d8.
{table=head]
Level |
Base Attack Bonus |
Fort save |
Ref save |
Will save |
Special |
Speed bonus |
Bonus Feats

1 |+1 |+2 |+2 |+2 |Flurry of blows, unarmed strike |+0 ft. |Bonus feat
2 |+2 |+3 |+3 |+3 |Focused strike, evasion |+0 ft. |Bonus feat
3 |+3 |+3 |+3 |+3 |Still mind |+10 ft. |—
4 |+4 |+4 |+4 |+4 |Lesser strike through |+10 ft. |—
5 |+5 |+4 |+4 |+4 |- |+10 ft. |Bonus feat
6 |+6 |+5 |+5 |+5 |- |+20 ft. |—
7 |+7 |+5 |+5 |+5 |Focused damage |+20 ft. |—
8 |+8 |+6 |+6 |+6 |- |+20 ft. |Bonus feat
9 |+9 |+6 |+6 |+6 |Improved evasion |+30 ft. |—
10 |+10 |+7 |+7 |+7 |Strike through |+30 ft. |—
11 |+11 |+7 |+7 |+7 |Greater flurry of blows |+30 ft. |Bonus feat
12 |+12 |+8 |+8 |+8 |- |+40 ft. |—
13 |+13 |+8 |+8 |+8 |Mettle |+40 ft. |—
14 |+14 |+9 |+9 |+9 |- |+40 ft. |Bonus feat
15 |+15 |+9 |+9 |+9 |Diamond soul |+50 ft. |—
16 |+16 |+10 |+10 |+10 |Greater strike through |+50 ft. |—
17 |+17 |+10 |+10 |+10 |Timeless body |+50 ft. |Bonus feat
18 |+18 |+11 |+11 |+11 |- |+60 ft. |—
19 |+19 |+11 |+11 |+11 |Improved mettle |+60 ft. |—
20 |+20 |+12 |+12 |+12 |Focused harm |+60 ft. |Bonus feat[/table]
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4+ Int modifier.

All of the following are class features of the monk.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Monks are proficient with all simple weapons, bows, and all light martial weapons. The monk is also proficient in light armor and may use light armor without penalty.

Bonus Feats: At 1st level, a monk gets a bonus combat-oriented feat. The monk gains an additional bonus feat at 2nd level and every three levels thereafter (5th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th, and 20th). These bonus feats must be chosen from Extra Stunning, Fiery Fist, Fiery Ki defense, Fist of Iron, Greater Kiai shout, Ki blast, Kiai shout, Pain touch, Rapid stunning, Rattlesnake strike, Serpent fang, Stunning fist, Water splitting stone, weakening touch, or any feat from the fighter bonus feat list.
These bonus feats are in addition to the feats that a character of any class gains every three levels. A monk is not limited to fighter bonus feats when choosing these other feats. Additionally a monk qualifies for feats that usually require a minimum number of fighter levels (such as Weapon Specialization) as if he had a fighter level equal to his monk level –3.

AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC. These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears medium or heavy armor or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

Flurry of Blows (Ex): When unarmored and using unarmed strikes, light weapons, a spear, staff, any weapon for which he has weapon finesse, or any weapon that is labeled as a special monk weapon; a monk may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy once per round as part of a full round attack, a charge, or a standard action attack.
When doing so, he may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. The resulting modified base attack bonuses are shown in the Flurry of Blows Attack Bonus columns above. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the monk might make before his next action.
When a monk reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to -1, and at 9th level it disappears.
When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes, light weapons, spear, or the staff. He may use his unarmed strikes and weapons, or different weapons interchangeably as desired.
When flurrying with a weapon, a monk applies his Strength bonus (not Str bonus × 1½ or ×½) to his damage rolls, whether he wields a weapon in one or both hands.
When a monk reaches 11th level, his flurry of blows ability improves. In addition to the standard single extra attack he gets from flurry of blows, he gets a second extra attack at his full base attack bonus.

Unarmed Strike: At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Combat. A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with his hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply his full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all of his unarmed strikes. A monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but he can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on his attack roll. He has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling. A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons. A monk also deals more damage with his unarmed strikes than a normal person would. A Medium monk deals damage with his unarmed strikes as if he was one size larger (1d4 for a medium monk). Monks of different sizes adjust their damage accordingly.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level or higher if a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Focused Strike (Ex): At 2nd level, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to all attack rolls with unarmed strikes and martial arts weapons, and to all contested combat maneuvers (such as bull rush, disarm, grapple, overrun, sunder, or trip checks).

Fast Movement (Ex): At 3rd level, a monk gains an enhancement bonus to his speed, as shown above. A monk in medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.

Still Mind (Ex): Monks of 3rd level or higher gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against mind affecting spells, powers, and effects.

Lesser Strike through (Ex): At 4th level and higher, the monk can take a standard action to make a single powerful strike with the full force of his will behind it. This unarmed strike ignores 1 point of a creature’s damage reduction for each monk class level. This ability also applies to object hardness and extends to light weapons, a spear, staff, any weapon for which he has weapon finesse, or any weapon that is labeled as a special monk weapon that the monk wields.

Focused Damage (Ex): At 7th level, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus to all damage rolls with unarmed strikes light weapons, a spear, staff, any weapon for which he has weapon finesse, or any weapon that is labeled as a special monk weapon.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 9th level, a monk’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Strike through (Ex): Beginning at 10th level, a monk empowers every unarmed attack he makes with the full strength of his will. The unarmed strike ignores 1 point of a creature’s damage reduction for every two monk class levels. This ability also applies to object hardness and extends to light weapons, a spear, staff, any weapon for which he has weapon finesse, or any weapon that is labeled as a special monk weapon that the monk wields.

Mettle (Ex): At 13th level and higher, a monk can resist magical and unusual attacks with great fortitude. If he makes a successful Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any effect with a saving throw entry of Fortitude half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping monk does not gain the benefit of mettle.

Diamond Soul (Ex): At 15th level, a monk gains spell resistance equal to his current monk level + 10. In order to affect the monk with a spell, a spellcaster get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the monk’s spell resistance. The monk may take an immediate action to dismiss his spell resistance for one round.

Greater Strike Through (Ex): At 16th level and beyond, a monk’s ability to empower his unarmed attacks increases. Each unarmed strike he makes ignores 1 point of a creature’s damage reduction for every class level. This ability also applies to object hardness and extends to light weapons, a spear, staff, any weapon for which he has weapon finesse, or any weapon that is labeled as a special monk weapon that the monk wields.

Timeless Body (Ex): Upon attaining 17th level, a monk no longer takes penalties to his ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and he still dies of old age when his time’s up.

Improved Mettle (Ex): At 19th level and higher, a monk’s mettle ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Fortitude saving throw against attacks, but henceforth he instead suffers the lesser effect on a failed save. An unconscious or sleeping monk does not gain the benefit of mettle.

Focused Harm (Ex): At 20th level, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus to the threat range of his successful attacks with unarmed strikes, light weapons, spears, staves, any weapons for which he has weapon finesse, or any weapons that are labeled as a special monk weapon. This effect stacks with feats and other effects that increase a weapons threat range (such as improved critical and the keen enhancement).

Grod_The_Giant
2011-11-03, 11:40 AM
Let's see here... Good BAB, good...

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Monks are proficient with all simple weapons, bows, and all light martial weapons. The monk is also proficient in light armor and may use light armor without penalty.
Light armor and weapons? Ok, we'll see where this goes. Bows are probably good, but you're missing all the special monk weapons.

Bonus Feats: etc
Solid choice.

AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC. These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears medium or heavy armor or when he carries a medium or heavy load.
What about light armor? I imagine the answer is yes, which would substantially boost his AC (not necessarily a bad thing).

Flurry of Blows (Ex): things
Flurry on a standard action is very good. Also, you mention a Flurry attack bonus column, which doesn't appear on the table.

Unarmed Strike: words
Ok... but why doesn't the damage increase? Unarmed strikes are iconic for the monk. Give me one good reason not to use a shortsword.

Focused Blow (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, the monk can take a full-round action to make a single powerful strike with the full force of his will behind it. This unarmed strike ignores 1 point of a creature’s damage reduction for each monk class level. So a 3rd-level monk ignores 3 points of damage reduction. This ability also applies to object hardness and extends to light weapons, spears, and staves that the monk wields.
I'd let this be a standard action, to be honest. A monk is a fast, mobile dude. He doesn't need to be standing still for this long. Also, it rapidly gets subsumed by Lesser Strike Through.

Focused Strike (Ex): At 4th level, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to all attack rolls with unarmed strikes and martial arts weapons, and to all contested combat maneuvers (such as bull rush, disarm, grapple, overrun, sunder, or trip checks).
Helps eliminate MAD, although it comes kind of late for that. I'd move this ability to first level and let him entirely replace Strength with Wisdom.

Weapon Expertise (Ex): Your training with your martial arts weaponry tactics gives you great skill with those weapons. You qualify for feats that usually require a minimum number of fighter levels (such as Weapon Specialization) as if you had a fighter level equal to your monk level –3.
Goes with the bonus feats, I guess. Not sure how much it really gives you.

Lesser Strike through (Ex): Beginning at 7th level, a monk empowers every unarmed attack he makes with the full strength of his will. The unarmed strike ignores 1 point of a creature’s damage reduction for every two monk class levels. This ability also applies to object hardness and extends to light weapons, spears, and staves that the monk wields.
Helps Flurry get through DR. Good.

Mettle (Ex): At 13th level and higher, a monk can resist magical and unusual attacks with great fortitude. If he makes a successful Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any effect with a saving throw entry of Fortitude half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping monk does not gain the benefit of mettle.
Looks tasty.

Focused Damage (Ex): At 14th level, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus to all damage rolls with unarmed strikes and martial arts weapons.
See my feedback on Focused Strike. This is worse, because it comes REALLY late.

Diamond Soul (Ex): At 15th level, a monk gains spell resistance equal to his current monk level + 10. In order to affect the monk with a spell, a spellcaster get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the monk’s spell resistance. The monk may take an immediate action to dismiss his spell resistance for one round.
The clause helps eliminate a big problem with spell resistance, so that's good.

Greater Strike Through (Ex): At 16th level and beyond, a monk’s ability to empower his unarmed attacks increases. Each unarmed strike he makes ignores 1 point of a creature’s damage reduction for every class level. This ability also applies to object hardness and extends to light weapons, spears, and staves that the monk wields.
Solid, if not exciting.

Focused Harm (Ex): At 20th level, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus to the threat range of his successful unarmed, light weapon, spear, and staff attacks. This effect stacks with feats and other effects that increase a weapons threat range (such as improved critical and the keen weapon enhancement). Additionally the monk may also apply half of his greater strike through ability (and the lesser versions) to a targets Armor bonus and/or natural armor bonus.
This is CRAZY good. A +8 wisdom modifier (probably on the low side for 20th level), Keen weapon, and Improved Critical, and you're critting on a 10 or above. And that's with, say, a pick, with a x4 crit modifier. And ignoring 20 points of armor? :smalleek: It would cross to terrifyingly powerful if the monk could do decent damage.

Which, really, is the main problem here- by not advancing unarmed strike damage, you've basically made it impossible for the monk to do a useful amount of damage, even with strike through and wisdom to damage.

silver spectre
2011-11-03, 01:13 PM
:smallconfused:One day I'm gonna figure out this edit thing and stop wiping out my own posts.

I don't have time to repost everything, but I've considered what you stated and made a few changes.
I may adjust the level on a couple of things after I've given it a bit more thought.

How would this do as an alternate capstone?:

Focused Harm (Ex): At 20th level the monk’s skill with his weapons has reached astounding levels. He now applies his special abilities (strike through, flurry of blows, stunning fist, etc…) to all weapons that he has proficiency with or that he later gains proficiency with.
Additionally the monk may also apply half of his greater strike through ability (and the lesser versions) to a targets Armor bonus and/or natural armor bonus.

Taverick
2011-11-04, 04:28 AM
Besides the comments made already, here's my two cents about this build:

A lot of this balances itself out with the removal of standard monk abilities like Ki strike and Wholeness of Body. However, the whole proficiency with simple weapons thing... just doesn't fit in my mind. I'd keep the standard monk weapon profs, and perhaps the light armor if you're really excited about it and make it so that the monk can qualify for weapon spec feats as a fighter for special monk weapons.

For the Focused strike and all that, here's what I recommend;
Instead of Focused strike, Lesser strike through and Greater Strike through have
Strike through least- At 2nd level and higher, the monk can take a standard action to make a single powerful strike with the full force of his will behind it. This unarmed strike ignores 1 point of a creature’s damage reduction for each monk class level. So This ability also applies to object hardness and extends to light weapons, spears, and staves that the monk wields.
Strike through lesser- Gained at 7th lvl. As least, but can be used freely as part f a full attack or flurry of blows
Strike through greater- Gained at 16th lvl. As lesser, but the monk ignores 1 point of DR and/or hardness per monk level.

This way the ability progresses and doesn't make a previous ability gained useless.

silver spectre
2011-11-04, 08:49 AM
To start with, I appreciate the input, Grod and Taverick.

Accordingly, I've adjusted the level and names of a few things. I tried to make sure he recieved something at every level, even if it was just a speed increase.

Aside from its 2e foundations in the old "Kung Fu" western and movies, I've never really got the weapon limitations the monks had, so I'll leave the proficiencies as they are. That said I realized (after your comment about monk wepons) that I had left my monk variant unable to use its abilities with one of my favorite weapons, the kawanaga, so I added them to the weapons it can use with its special abilities. That gives it a wide range of weapons that he can use effectively even though some will require a feat to become proficient with.

I left the unarmed damage as is, but added superior unarmed strike to the available bonus feats (I had thought it was already listed as a fighter bonus feat) so if one wants to jack slap things, the option is there.

I removed the armor bypass feature from the capstone, but I do like the improved critical chance. It can be potent, but most of the weapons that it works with are (as has been pointed out) not serious damage dealers to start with. That said, I am still considering adjustments for the capstone.