PDA

View Full Version : RAW Legal Full Attack Lance charge?

CactusAir
2011-11-02, 04:55 PM
Cavalier and Ashworm Dragoon have rules that specifically prevent you from doing a full attack lance charge (and thus dealing 4x per hit with multiple hits) using their mounted full attack abilities. Wild Plains Outrider's "Wild Plains Offensive" however, merely says:

"Wild Plains Offensive (Ex):
Starting at 3rd level, a wild plains outrider can make a full attack with a melee weapon as long as his mount takes only a single move."

Normally, you can't get a charge with a move action. Normally.

However, if your mount has Battle Jump, it is treated as charging if it makes a single move to jump and a standard to attack. It isn't making a charge action, but is treated as though charging.

The mounted combat rules state that if you mount charges, you get the charge benefits and drawbacks.

So Battle Jump + Mounted Charge Rules + Wild Plains Offensive = full attack with when your mount makes a battle jump, and this is treated as a mounted charge (with a lance!).

Note that although it is a regional feat, Battle Jump does not specify a race, so you just have to make up backstory for why your mount is from Teir.

Build:

Paladin5/Beastmaster1/Wild Plains Outrider3/Ashworm Dragoon9/Prestige Ranger 2

(When mounted, lances are 1-handed weapons, and can be TWF'ed! Score! Gloves of the Balanced Hand + Prestige Ranger + gives you 2 offhand attacks, for a total of 6 iterative attacks before you factor in bonus attacks from haste or other effects.)

This build gives you a 23 HD Ashworm, btw. Get Track and Mounted Combat from items, and try the following feat chains

1) Endurance-> Steadfast Determination + Tremendous Charge (Dragonlance) You can now use your Mount's much higher STR score on a lance charge, and with SD, your magical lances never shatter. Dump STR. Heck, you can even get feycraft lances and take Weapon Finesse to make STR utterly irrelevant.

2) Item of White Raven -> Martial Stance: Leading the Charge. +IL on all charge attacks. IL = 1/2 your level since you are not a martial adept. But with spirited charge on a Valorous lance, that gets you a 4x multiplier for +2x your HD in damage per hit. Sweet!

Rubik
2011-11-02, 06:10 PM
A psywar can do multiple full attacks on a charge. Linked Power with two powers + Psionic Lion's Charge in round 1, then manifest PLC on the round that you actually charge.

That's 3 full-attack charges in a single round, and they can be done with lances, if you want. Dual-wield as a girallon (via Metamorphosis) and have an animated lance for ungodly numbers of attacks.

CactusAir
2011-11-02, 07:17 PM
A psywar can do multiple full attacks on a charge. Linked Power with two powers + Psionic Lion's Charge in round 1, then manifest PLC on the round that you actually charge.

That's 3 full-attack charges in a single round, and they can be done with lances, if you want. Dual-wield as a girallon (via Metamorphosis) and have an animated lance for ungodly numbers of attacks.

I think you missed the point. Lances get a x2 multiplier on MOUNTED charges only, x3 With Spirited charge. This is all "Lance in a mounted charge"-Only. (Valorous weapon property buffs this to x4).

Aside from the method I posted, the only want to get more than one hit on a lance charge, that I know of, is to be a Centuar with pounce, and that's RAW iffy at best. Or use 3rd party/dragon, but I can't keep track of that.

The build I used lets you attack six times, each time dealing ([lance damage] + 1/2 your HD + your mount's STR)x4.

... Which is probably inferior to your charging psywar, but the point was "LANCE CHARGE!", not "OMG pounce!" Pounce is easy to get in any number of ways. I'm sure I can find an even more Uber Shadowpouncer with 15 seconds of google if I wanted. Still beside the point.

Flickerdart
2011-11-02, 09:35 PM
Yep - a Shadowpouncer gets three full attacks per round quite trivially, without setup or ridiculous shaky rules interpretations.

Big Fau
2011-11-02, 09:48 PM
And welcome to the concept of the Ubercharger (the actual build, not the term).

Yeah, this is somewhat old.

Psyren
2011-11-02, 09:58 PM
I think you missed the point. Lances get a x2 multiplier on MOUNTED charges only, x3 With Spirited charge. This is all "Lance in a mounted charge"-Only. (Valorous weapon property buffs this to x4).

Aside from the method I posted, the only want to get more than one hit on a lance charge, that I know of, is to be a Centuar with pounce, and that's RAW iffy at best.

Nah, Psywars can do this easily. Get a psicrystal, share metamorphosis and PLC with it.

Misery Esquire
2011-11-02, 09:59 PM
Still beside the point.

Yes. :smallsmile:

You've successfully come up with a neat idea, and whether or not it's ever been thought of before, doesn't detract from the work/planning/thinking it took for you. Good job!
There's nothing new under the sun, anyway.

faceroll
2011-11-03, 01:13 AM
Cool, I like it. Can you add in a swooping dive to increase that multiplier to x5? Not sure if you can be flying and battle jump, though.

Yep - a Shadowpouncer gets three full attacks per round quite trivially, without setup or ridiculous shaky rules interpretations.

Ridiculous shaky rules interpretations? Seems pretty solid to me.

Curmudgeon
2011-11-03, 07:30 AM
However, if your mount has Battle Jump, it is treated as charging if it makes a single move to jump and a standard to attack. It isn't making a charge action, but is treated as though charging.
You're reading something into the feat that's not written.
Benefit: You can execute a charge by simply dropping from a height of at least 5 feet above your opponent. The feat doesn't say that you're using a move action, or that you're not subject to the other charge rules. It does say that you're executing a charge (not just the attack part of a charge), and that's always a special full-round action.

All the usual charge rules apply, except what Battle Jump changes: the movement requirement changes from straight land movement in the 10' - 2x speed range, to straight vertical movement in the 5' - 30' range. You've also got an option to trip. That's it.