PDA

View Full Version : Getting Listen for a Paladin

Waker
2011-11-02, 07:48 PM
Just a quick question, is there any way to add Listen to the list of skills for a Paladin? I would prefer getting it via a feat or ACF, but I'm currently at a loss for how. The only thing I don't want is to make a dip, though if the dip does give full BAB I may make an exception.

Jheska
2011-11-02, 08:01 PM
There's a feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm#skillKnowledge) for that :smallwink:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-11-02, 08:11 PM
The Skill Knowledge feat is part of an alternative skill system, and typically is not available unless the entire game is using that alternative skill system.

Aereni Focus - Player's Guide to Eberron (p.20) (requires Elf)
Draconic heritage (Brown, Fang, Pyroclastic) – Races of the Dragon (requires Sorcerer or the Dragontouched feat from Dragon Magic)
Whispered secrets [initiate] – Races of Destiny (requires Cleric of Vecna)

Jheska
2011-11-02, 08:15 PM
Hmm, are any of the options for the Apprentice feat listen giving? AFB so unable to check myself.

Metahuman1
2011-11-02, 08:23 PM
Crack open the players handbook II and go to the affiliations section.

Make an affiliation.

Join it, progress in it.

As one of the benefits, let you pick a skill to add to your class skills list. Pick Listen.

Done.

Chronos
2011-11-02, 09:09 PM
Another option is the feat Guerrilla Scout, from Heroes of Battle. It doesn't quite make Listen and Spot class skills (it doesn't change your maximum rank in them), but it does let you buy ranks in them for 1 skill point each, instead of 2. It also gives you +1 initiative, for what that's worth.

The Able Learner feat from Races of Destiny does the same thing for all skills, but requires that you be human.

Either of those combined with a single-level dip in anything that does give them as class skills will get you the same effect as it being always a class skill.

Person_Man
2011-11-02, 09:30 PM
Wary Swordknight Halfling Substitution Levels. Adds Listen and Spot, AND you get 4 Skill points per level. You lose nothing. (Although it only counts for the substitution levels, not all Paladin levels).

And the 3rd level ability replaces the mostly useless Aura of Courage with Tougher than Small, which allows you to be treated as one size larger if advantageous for opposed checks (Trip, Disarm, Grapple, etc) and to resist special attacks. It makes for a fairly good mounted build, assuming your DM allows you to use the DMG rules for Leadership to get a better Special Mount (or one of the more interesting Special Mount PrCs). Champions of Valor pg 51.

Also, why do you need Listen?

Togath
2011-11-03, 04:08 AM
there’s also the feat versatile from the *Rokugan campaign setting, while 3.0 it's still a fairly decent feat(it grants two skills[excluding trained only] as permanent class skills, and has no prerequisites)
*the book is mostly ogc(all but the history and lore sections, and the name "Rokugan" or "legend of the five rings") so I posted the full feat

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-03, 04:15 AM
Edit: Woops! Didn't read the OP quite as thoroughly as I should have.

Waker
2011-11-03, 02:10 PM
Well, after seeing some of the answers I may use one of the suggestions but who knows? As for my reasoning, I had a silly idea for a Iron Chef competition entry and since I couldn't think of any answers I decided to consult the collective knowledge of the playground.