PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Witch Hunter + Epic Progression PEACH.

herrhauptmann
2011-11-02, 10:11 PM
Recently been playing with the idea of an anti-caster melee warrior. Jumped around a bit on PrC to take, and slowly settled on a combo of Witchslayer, Hellreaver, and Occult Slayer.
Then checked some homebrew to find someone else did it first. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19526050/Witch_Hunter_PrC_-_PEACH?post_id=331833934) :smallamused:

So I'm going to post the original witch hunter, and highlight a few changes I think might work better, in green. (Not making another account on another forum. I waste too much time on the internet as is) And will put the epic progression below that.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a Witch Hunter, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
Base Attack Bonus:+5
Skills:Knowledge (Arcana) 4 ranks, Spellcraft 3 ranks
Feats: Mage Slayer
Alignment: Any good
Special: Must have personally slain an evil arcane magic user with no help.

Class Skills
Witch Hunter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Bluff, Concentration, Decipher Script, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (the Planes), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (Local), Listen, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival.
Skills Points at Each Level : 4 + int

Hit Dice: d8
{table=head] Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Abilities

1.| +1| +2| +0| +2| Arcane Hunter +1
2.| +2| +3| +0| +3| Detect Magic[
3.| +3| +3| +1| +3| Mettle, Bonus Feat, Arcane Hunter +2
4.| +4| +4| +1| +4| Protection from Evil
5.| +5| +4| +1| +4| Slippery Mind, Arcane Hunter +3
6.| +6| +5| +2| +5| Dispel Magic, Bonus Feat
7.| +7| +5| +2| +5| Arcane Hunter +4
8.| +8| +6| +2| +6| Momentary Disjunction
9.| +9| +6| +3| +6| nondetection cloak
10.|+10| +7| +3| +7| Spellcaster's Bane, Arcane Hunter +5
[/table]
Weapon Proficiencies: Witch Hunter gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

CLASS FEATURES

Arcane Hunter (Ex): At 1st level, the witch hunter gains a +1 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against any character capable of casting arcane spells or using invocations (but not other spell-like abilities). Likewise, he gets a +1 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures. This bonus increase by one at every odd level. And stacks with any bonus gained from the ranger favored enemy class ability.

Detect Magic (SU): At 2nd level, a witch hunter can use detect magic at will, as per the spell.

Mettle (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, you can shrug off magical effects that would harm you. If you make a successful Will or Fortitude saving throw that would normally reduce (rather than negate) a spell or other magical effect, the magic has no effect at all. Any spell that is normally negated by a successful saving throw is unaffected by this ability.
Protection from Evil (Sp):A witch hunter may cast protection from evil as per the spell, this ability may be used 1 + your Cha modifier (minimum 1) times per day. The witch hunter’s caster level for this ability equals his class level.

Bonus Feat: At 3rd, 6th, and 9th level a witch hunter may choose a bonus feat for which he meets the requirements off of the following list: Power Attack, Cleave, Pierce Magical Protection, Blind Fight, Pierce Magical Concealment, Improved Initiative, Weapon Focus, Weapon Finesse, Combat Reflexes. List should be expanded a little. More to come.

Slippery Mind (Ex):The witch hunter gains the ability as per rogue PHB p.51

Dispel Magic (SU):A witch hunter may cast dispel magic as per the spell, this ability may be used 1 + your Cha modifier (minimum 1) times per day. A witch hunter’s caster level for this ability is equal to his character level (maximum +10) for this ability.

Momentary Disjunction (Su):At 8th level, a witch hunter can temporarily disable the spellcasting, spell-like, and supernatural abilities of a single creature within 30 feet as a swift action. If the target fails a Will saving throw (DC 20+ your Cha modifier), it cannot use spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities of any kind, as if affected by an anti-magic field, for one round. Once you have used this ability you cannot do so for another 5 rounds.

Nondetection Cloak (Su):Upon reaching 9th level, a witch hunter (an any gear he wears or carries) becomes more difficult to locate through divinations such as clairaudience/calirvoyance, locate object, and other detection spells. The witch hunter gains magical protection from divinations equivalent to a nondetection spell (caster level equals the chracter's witch hunter level), except that it only affects the witch hunter and his possessions.

Spellcaster's Bane (Su):Upon reaching 10th level, a witch hunter becomes the bane of spellcasters. He gains Spell Resistance 25. Spell resistance equal to 15+ his Witch Hunter level .

Reasonings.
Changed Detect/Dispel magic to SU abilities. Some DM's might feel that someone who specializes in killing mages shouldn't use anything that even duplicates a spell. Let alone using it as a spell-like ability. Also, Mageslayer line reduces your CL for spells AND spell like abilities. So my choice is between using my mageslayer feat tree, or using my detect/dispel abilities.

Spellcasters bane: With an awesome name like that, it should be a better capstone, but I'll settle for making it something that will progress with the character a little in epic levels.

Epic Witch Hunter:

{table=Head]Level|Abilities
11|Arcane Hunter+6
12|Seek the Unclean
13|Arcane Hunter+7 Improved Mettle. Bonus Feat
14|Magic Circle against Evil
15|Arcane Hunter+8
16|Reaving dispel Bonus Feat
17|Arcane Hunter+9
18|Extended Disjunction
19|Arcane Hunter+10, Bonus Feat
20|Magical Contempt
[/table]

Improved Mettle: (EX) Like Mettle, but half damage/effect on failed save, and no effect on successful save

Magic Circle against evil (SU): As spell. Caster level is WH level. 1+Cha mod times per day. (Minimum 1)

Seek the Unclean: (SU) At 12th level, a Witch Hunter gains Greater Arcane Sight, as the spell. He can activate it at will, and his caster level is his Witch hunter level.

Bonus Feat: At levels 13, 16, and 19, a witch hunter earns a bonus feat. It must be a feat for which he meets the prerequisites. It can be drawn from the fighter feat list, and from the Epic feat list.

Reaving Dispel (SU): As the spell (Spell compendium)
Usable 1+cha mod (minimum 1) per day. Caster level is equal to Witch hunter level. (max +20)

Extended Disjunction: Momentary disjunction now lasts 2 rounds.

Magical Contempt: (SU) Now gain Spell (and Psi if transparency in effect) Resistance of 20+ Witch hunter level.

Reasonings:

Improved Mettle can be gained from a 16000 gold item. And it is a good upgrade to the regular version. Also, rogues get improved evasion at a much lower level.

Seek the unclean: Needs a better name...
An appropriate level up of detect magic to epic levels. SOmething which he could use at level 14.

Magic circle against Evil. An upgrade to protection from evil. Could potentially be something a little more spectacular. Suggestions?

Bonus feats are always good. And at teh same progression the non-epic gets bonus feats. Written this way assuming I will find a good extension of hte non-epic feats.

Reaving Dispel: Torn between reaving dispel (9th level spell gained 26th level), Slashing Dispel, and others. The potential dangers of reaving dispel seem like they'd work. Suggestions?

Extended disjunction: Upgrade to the regular version. Make it last long enough to actually really matter.

Magical Contempt: As before, thsi seems like a weak capstone, but giving a +5 on spell/psi resistance isn't terri-bad. Not when a witchslayer 15 (level 25 total) already has SR equal to that of a Balor.

Man on Fire
2012-04-25, 06:52 AM
Could use equivalent of Freedom of Movement and something to counter teleports, otherwise - I like it. I may try creating something similiar - prestige class against spellcasters, if I do we may compare them or even test to see which is better, how about it?