PDA

View Full Version : Blue Streak(s): Sonic Generations

Psyren
2011-11-02, 11:04 PM
Googled for a thread on this, doesn't seem to be one, so...

Sonic Colors came close to ending the horrible curse that has long haunted the hedgehog's post-16-bit career, but it looks like the newest title Sonic Generations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Generations) has truly lifted it.

That's right, it's a new sonic game - and not only does it not suck, it isn't even content with merely not sucking. In other words it's actually good!

*fanfare*
Gametrailers Review (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-sonic-generations/723399)
Trailer and Metacritic score (http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/sonic-generations/trailers/3131050)
Today's Penny Arcade (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/11/02)

Sonic Generations is a romp - or rather, a lightning speed dash - through the series history. You'll see some VERY familiar levels playing this, and you'll get to play them both side-scrolling and in 3D. But what really sold me on this title: Sonic spends almost the entire game sarcastically reflecting on the really weird turn the series has taken over the years. One scene in the above review has him rant to Tails about how what they're doing can't be any stranger than saving magic books and alien princesses from another dimension. Then he eats a chili dog. I had to wipe away the tears. (Also, Classic Sonic is a completely silent protagonist.)

So what do you say, Playground? I know we've been through a lot of pain together, you and I. And yet... shall we give the Hedgehog another go?

Mutant Sheep
2011-11-02, 11:38 PM
Sonic music is almost always really good. But Generation's is AWESOME. The 3D looks so... Sonic Adventures 2...:smallcool:

Zevox
2011-11-02, 11:43 PM
So, this finally released eh?

Hm, well, it's definitely a rent-first title for me, but I may actually be able to do that about now. The only thing I have left to do in Arkham City is challenge maps, and the next games I'm actually buying (UMvC3 and Skyward Sword) are a couple of weeks away yet. Though I never did get around to renting Sonic Colors either, so maybe I should do that first - I really liked the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed's day levels, which is what that is supposed to be like.

Zevox

AtlanteanTroll
2011-11-02, 11:46 PM
Sonic music is almost always really good. But Generation's is AWESOME. The 3D looks so... Sonic Adventures 2...:smallcool:

Hey. Hey Choff. Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y29qU2edNI&feature=BFa&list=FLPHPLqF-nLI05vnHVtjBb7g&lf=mh_lolz).

Have yet to get the game. Am getting it this weekend. Am expecting greatness.

Mando Knight
2011-11-03, 12:07 AM
Sonic spends almost the entire game sarcastically reflecting on the really weird turn the series has taken over the years. One scene in the above review has him rant to Tails about how what they're doing can't be any stranger than saving magic books and alien princesses from another dimension. Then he eats a chili dog.

Wait, seriously? Darn it, now I need to accelerate my plans to get a 3DS.

Zevox
2011-11-03, 12:09 AM
Wait, seriously? Darn it, now I need to accelerate my plans to get a 3DS.
:smallconfused: A 3DS? Er, I'm pretty sure he's talking about the console version (PS3/360). The 3DS version doesn't release until late in the month, and will surely differ substantially from the console version, as all handheld versions of console titles do.

Zevox

Mando Knight
2011-11-03, 12:16 AM
:smallconfused: A 3DS? Er, I'm pretty sure he's talking about the console version (PS3/360). The 3DS version doesn't release until late in the month, and will surely differ substantially from the console version, as all handheld versions of console titles do.

Zevox

Yes, but the 3DS has substantially more power than the DS does, the 3DS is higher on my wish list than a PS3 or 360, and it'll take me a good while to get extra money to pay for the thing.

AlterForm
2011-11-03, 12:18 AM
This does look cool. Pulled up its Steam page to see what its price point was at. $30, so steeper than I care for right now; hope it goes on sale during Christmas or somesuch (not the best chances, considering its release date).

But then.

One of the demo pictures scrolled in.

Sonic. Running on the side of the a building. Being chased by the city escape truck. Who is also on the side of the building.

I can't even the words at how absurdly awesome that is.

(Also, +1 at DAT SOUNDTRACK)

Zevox
2011-11-03, 12:18 AM
Yes, but the 3DS has substantially more power than the DS does, the 3DS is higher on my wish list than a PS3 or 360, and it'll take me a good while to get extra money to pay for the thing.
I see. Well, if you have a gaming-quality PC, it has also released for that. Though I personally can't imagine playing a Sonic game with a keyboard and mouse.

Zevox

Mando Knight
2011-11-03, 12:34 AM
I see. Well, if you have a gaming-quality PC, it has also released for that. Though I personally can't imagine playing a Sonic game with a keyboard and mouse.

My computer was a gaming-capable laptop... five and a half years ago, when it was new. Unless it's a good port, I don't think I would want to buy it for PC.

I wouldn't need to play it with keyboard and mouse, though... that's what native compatibility with 360 controllers is for.

Acanous
2011-11-04, 02:26 AM
My hopes are high. I remember the days when Sonic games were synonymous with Fun. That'll probably never happen again, but at least this is a step in the right direction.

Aidan305
2011-11-08, 07:55 PM
Watching a playthrough of this at the moment (As I don't have any of the consoles necessary to play it). This is a game that I'm perfectly happy, as someone who grew up with the books, games and comics, to call Sonic.

Kamai
2011-11-10, 11:09 AM
I had a lot of fun with this. The only problems I had were that the main game felt a bit short, and that the controls on the keyboard felt like a nightmare in the 3D stages.

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-10, 01:20 PM
Part of me really wants to just bite the bullet, repartition my hard drives, and get a Windows installation going so I can try out the game. I've got a good game controller, so the keyboard mess isn't really that important... But apparently my video card doesn't work for the game? GeForce 9500 GT at 512 MB, I'm hearing people say that's too slow. :smallfrown:

GloatingSwine
2011-11-10, 01:49 PM
I had a lot of fun with this. The only problems I had were that the main game felt a bit short, and that the controls on the keyboard felt like a nightmare in the 3D stages.

If you're playing the game on the PC, just get an Xbox 360 controller. Because quite frankly trying to play a game like this on a keyboard is about as clever as nailing your scrotum to a desk.

Game's good, anyway.

Though Crisis City is true to it's origins. Frustrating, horrible, and brown.

Mando Knight
2011-11-10, 01:55 PM
keyboard ... 3D stages.

There's your problem right there. You need a good analog stick, especially with Sonic the Hedgehog.

Zevox
2011-11-10, 02:11 PM
Well, I rented it. And it's definitely good. I especially liked the City Escape stage - I was pleasantly surprised at how excellent the 2D adaptation of it for classic Sonic is, on top of the already-good 3D version. I do prefer the original music to the remixes used in this game, but the remixes aren't bad either, particularly the one from the 3D version of the stage.

Still, I don't find myself too eager to keep playing for some reason. I don't think it's any fault of the game's, I just don't find myself in the mood for fast-paced platforming right now. Maybe it's the impending release of UMvC3 - I have been watching a lot of previews for that lately, and can't wait to get my hands on it.

Edit:

Though Crisis City is true to it's origins. Frustrating, horrible, and brown.
Yeah, just played through that myself, and it sucks. It's like the anti-City Escape. Blech.

Zevox

Calamity
2011-11-11, 08:36 AM
Got the PS3 version, as I bought Colours last month and I absolutely loved it. The price of HD seems to be constant frame-rate drops and to be honest I'd rather have Wii graphics (Colours looked great anyway) and smooth gameplay, because the slowdowns really kill the enjoyment of a Sonic game.

But anyway that's my main gripe and it's a non-issue in the Classic stages which don't tend to have that problem (most of the time)

I actually really enjoyed the Crisis City stages, in fact I'd go as far to say they're my favourites if it wasn't for Rooftop Run. Speed Highway and City Escape were very good too. Chemical Plant was too short and I can't say I've ever cared much for Sky Sanctuary, though I did enjoy the Modern Sonic version.

The spinning tops from Marble Garden making their return in Sky Sanctuary didn't help either and they somehow have even clunkier controls than they did in Sonic 3. Those 2 zones were my least favourite S3&K ones so the Classic Sonic version didn't really do much for me apart from look pretty.

As a fan of Sonic Colours I was expecting Planet Wisp to be one of my favourite stages... well, I was very wrong. The wisps aren't used very well at all, and that goes for Classic and Modern Sonic's stages. It does look pretty though, so there's that. I still like it more than Seaside Hill though.

Wow, look at all the negativity I seem to be conveying. No really, I just like to complain. :smalltongue: This game is so much fun, I really don't regret buying it at all. It looks like Sonic Team have finally made Sonic games fun again.

I just wish the game wasn't so short. It didn't take me long to do the main games and all the challenges (most of which I have to say were surprisingly well designed, except for certain ones involving Sonic's friends (Ugh, Vector's challenges))

Drascin
2011-11-11, 09:02 AM
I've been playing a lot of it lately. This game is wonderful. It's really short to beat, but it's just so replayable, and most of the stages are a joy to play through. Really, this is by far the best Sonic game I've ever played. And I don't use absolutes easily.

And the ability to choose your soundtrack is quite neat, especially with the massive amount of music there isand the quality of many of the tracks. I never played whatever game Endless Possibility comes from, but that song seems to have a really great effect in my Rooftop Run speedruns :smallbiggrin:.

The_Final_Stand
2011-11-11, 01:05 PM
You would be looking for Unleashed.

This looks interesting. It's only after looking at some of the pictures that I realised how much they'd put in. I'll probably get it on Xbox.

Zevox
2011-11-11, 03:49 PM
...okay, I'm on the final boss, and am completely lost as to what the hells I'm supposed to do.
My attack doesn't seem to do anything no matter when I throw it out. Boosting doesn't seem to accomplish anything. Switching between 2D and 3D doesn't accomplish anything besides the obvious. Ring clusters fly by so fast that I can't pick them up, which I have to do to extend my time as Super Sonics. And the commentary from Tails and the others is completely useless.

What the heck? Can anybody help me on this one? :smallconfused:
Zevox

Kamai
2011-11-11, 05:08 PM
...okay, I'm on the final boss, and am completely lost as to what the hells I'm supposed to do.
My attack doesn't seem to do anything no matter when I throw it out. Boosting doesn't seem to accomplish anything. Switching between 2D and 3D doesn't accomplish anything besides the obvious. Ring clusters fly by so fast that I can't pick them up, which I have to do to extend my time as Super Sonics. And the commentary from Tails and the others is completely useless.

What the heck? Can anybody help me on this one? :smallconfused:
Zevox

You're looking to boost in at him. In the middle of the body, there's a core that you just need to stick yourself to for a couple of seconds. You do need to be in the same dimension as the boss. Rings are actually easier to grab if you boost near them. The best I could figure out from the charge shot is to clear a path in front of you.

Zevox
2011-11-11, 05:56 PM
You're looking to boost in at him. In the middle of the body, there's a core that you just need to stick yourself to for a couple of seconds. You do need to be in the same dimension as the boss. Rings are actually easier to grab if you boost near them. The best I could figure out from the charge shot is to clear a path in front of you.
Yeah, after googling it, I found that the trick is that you have to hold down the boost button to get anywhere. Unlike the entire rest of the game, where you hit the boost button for a quick burst of speed, never hold it.

That was a very poorly handled boss fight in general. The main mechanic for it is counter-intuitive, as mentioned above. It was a pain to collect rings since, even with the minor ring-attracting property of the boost, you often were nowhere near them when they went flying by, especially in the 3D portions. The attack you got was near useless - it seems only to clear out debris that you have no trouble dodging anyway. The controls were too loose. And above all, it was boring! Ugh. Definitely a big black mark on an otherwise good game.

I missed the ending cutscene due to needing to rush off to dinner, but I doubt I missed much, since the story was mostly thin and cheesy, and the voice acting was poor. The only thing I may missed worthwhile would be some jokes I guess.

Still, this is definitely the best Sonic game I've played in a long time. Ignoring Sonic Chronicles, easily the best Sonic since Adventure 2. Aside from that last boss and the story (which, honestly, given Sonic Team's displayed storytelling abilities, is probably best left to this kind of low level anyway), my complaints are largely minor. Given Colors' positive reception (I still haven't played it to say how it stacks up myself), it does give me some hope that they've got a comeback in progress for the Blue Blur. I'm not willing to say that it's happened just yet though, particularly after that last boss fight.
Zevox

Drascin
2011-11-12, 07:10 AM
Yeah, after googling it, I found that the trick is that you have to hold down the boost button to get anywhere. Unlike the entire rest of the game, where you hit the boost button for a quick burst of speed, never hold it.

I don't think you and I go through stages in the same way. I don't sometimes tap the boost, I sometimes let go of it :smalltongue:.

Tono
2011-11-12, 12:44 PM
Yea, for the most part the only times I didn't boost was when it would mess up a jump because of the homing targeting.

That being said, flying in and standing still was probably the worst idea for a final boss fight ever. So boring.