PDA

View Full Version : ToB: a question on stances

Autolycus84
2011-11-03, 04:34 AM
Hi y'all. I hope I'm not hogging up too much space with two threads on the front page.

Anyhow, I'm on my 2nd character ever, and I seem to have made a bit of a whoops in interpreting the rules on stances and multiclassing Warblade. Unless the DM is kind and lets me fudge things a bit, I won't be able to ever learn a new stance without taking a lot more WB levels that I really don't need.

My question is simple. Can the items that grant martial maneuvers after being worn for 24 hours also grant stances? There seems to be no word either way in the book itself. I think yes, because stances are listed under the maneuver section, but I really don't know. Has there been a ruling on this?

Zombimode
2011-11-03, 04:47 AM
No, a Stance is not a Maneuver.

Precendent: Martial Study grants you one Maneuver 1/encounter. If it also could get you a Stance, the follow up feat, Martial Stance, would be redundant.

That feat is btw. the solution to your problem. Take Martial Stance as a feat and pick a Stance. You can take Martial Stance multiple times.

Godskook
2011-11-03, 04:52 AM
Hi y'all. I hope I'm not hogging up too much space with two threads on the front page.

That'll be $50, sent to my PO Box, please :smallbiggrin:

Anyhow, I'm on my 2nd character ever, and I seem to have made a bit of a whoops in interpreting the rules on stances and multiclassing Warblade. Unless the DM is kind and lets me fudge things a bit, I won't be able to ever learn a new stance without taking a lot more WB levels that I really don't need.

1.How many stances do you have?

2.How many stances do you want?

3.Why do you want more than 1-2 stances when you can only use 1 at a time without Warblade 20 or Master of 9?

4.Are you making sure your Initiator level is high enough to take the stances you're wanting to take?

My question is simple. Can the items that grant martial maneuvers after being worn for 24 hours also grant stances? There seems to be no word either way in the book itself. I think yes, because stances are listed under the maneuver section, but I really don't know. Has there been a ruling on this?

The magic items make no specification between stances and not-stances, which lends itself to the interpretation that they include stances. I know of no rulings one way or another on that, though, so YMMV.

marcielle
2011-11-03, 04:53 AM
I assume the item can ALSO grant you a stance but if not, just get an item that grants you the feat. Then take off and chose a new stance IMMEDIATELY instead of after a day. A bit more expensive though.

Zombimode
2011-11-03, 05:14 AM
The magic items make no specification between stances and not-stances, which lends itself to the interpretation that they include stances.

No, it doesnt. ToB p. 43, first sentence under Stance: "A Stance is not a Maneuver"

The Crown of White Ravens grants you a Maneuver. Stances dont have to be excluded specificly because they are not Maneuvers.

Just pointing out the RAW :smallsmile:

Autolycus84
2011-11-03, 05:15 AM
1.How many stances do you have?

2.How many stances do you want?

3.Why do you want more than 1-2 stances when you can only use 1 at a time without Warblade 20 or Master of 9?

4.Are you making sure your Initiator level is high enough to take the stances you're wanting to take?

1. One

2. One is fine.

3. I just want the Leaping Dragon one. I'm sorta a jumping hammer-smashy dude.

4. It's not high enough now, but it will be soon. The problem is I dipped into Warblade at level 5, and I took the Punishing stance. Now I realize I can't replace stances with increased initiator levels like I can maneuvers. So I'm...stuck with it. I'd much rather have the Leaping Dragon one.

Darrin
2011-11-03, 05:21 AM
3. I just want the Leaping Dragon one. I'm sorta a jumping hammer-smashy dude.

Leap of the Heavens (PHBII p. 80) does pretty much the same thing as Leaping Dragon stance. Unlike the stance, you can take it at 1st level.

4. It's not high enough now, but it will be soon. The problem is I dipped into Warblade at level 5, and I took the Punishing stance. Now I realize I can't replace stances with increased initiator levels like I can maneuvers. So I'm...stuck with it. I'd much rather have the Leaping Dragon one.

Stick with Punishing Stance, which is still pretty tasty awesomesauce from levels 1 through 20.

vitkiraven
2011-11-03, 10:14 AM
Would your DM allow retraining if that is the way you want to go?

EDIT: Also, take the Martial Study type feats as suggested earlier. It can open up more powerful stances once your effective initiator level is increased from your other classes.

Douglas
2011-11-03, 10:16 AM
You could just spend a feat on Martial Stance.

Big Fau
2011-11-03, 01:23 PM
I assume the item can ALSO grant you a stance but if not, just get an item that grants you the feat. Then take off and chose a new stance IMMEDIATELY instead of after a day. A bit more expensive though.

Not according to this. (http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3226965/bo9s-complete-errata-pdf-october-26-2011-8-18-pm-126k?da=y) Thank you, Sinfire, for actually finishing something.

Or to several sections in the book itself.

Siosilvar
2011-11-03, 06:37 PM
Not according to this. (http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3226965/bo9s-complete-errata-pdf-october-26-2011-8-18-pm-126k?da=y)

Isn't that the Brilliant Gameologists errata?

I'd still use it, because the BGs definitely know what they're doing, but that's not really an official source.

Big Fau
2011-11-03, 07:09 PM
Isn't that the Brilliant Gameologists errata?

I'd still use it, because the BGs definitely know what they're doing, but that's not really an official source.

It is. Sinfire compiled it into a PDF mere days before BG went down.

And I'm very aware that it isn't official. Not like WotC's official errata would have changed anything regarding classes (seeing as it starts with the maneuvers themselves and not with the classes, even though a glaring error like the Swordsage's skill points should have been up near top priority).