PDA

View Full Version : Favorites

Socratov
2011-11-03, 07:52 AM
Dear fellow forumites. Some of you have a lot of experience, others have less (or even significantly less). But we all have our favorite class(es). What I want to know is the following: What is your favorite class, why is that class your favorite, and what is (or are) the best memories to playing that class.

I'll start by saying my class of choice is a hard one, needing to pick between warlock and bard, but I will pick bard. My first ever character was a bard (failing miserably), but now i play another bard (exalted, mind you) I once again see the finesse the bard offers, He can cast a bit, among which the dreaded Tasha's hideous laughter, and he can perform to help the party overcome obstacles. Coupled with the great examples of bards in pop culture. even the archtypes are nice to play. You are either some kind of wandering minstrel, a jester in the king's court, the traveling storyteller, or a happy hireling who seems to have quite the tricks up his sleeve. IN combat he is overshadowed by almost every other class (in core only i mean), but the real treat is the bard can so greatly be the backup for any role in the party. he can heal, he can use some forms of battleflied control, he can actually swing a sword, and best of all, he is absolutely top notch material for party face. The bard is one of those classes which absolutely have the easierst time to turn diplomancer withour introducing mad, pumping skillpoints or any other method. last but not least, Bards can use the Jedi Mind Trick. Once bards gain access to glibness they can pick a few other spells (1st level and a cantrip) and get to insane heights of bluff, lying and cheating their way through anything. Besides, bard is a great way to go exalted (it is even recommended) and act chatoic stupid, frolick and be generally annoying by beïng obtrusivly happy :).

sirpercival
2011-11-03, 08:12 AM
I'm caught between Wizard and Binder.

But, if you're including PrC's, then I can include Incantatrix and Anima Mage in my favorite build ever. :D

The Boz
2011-11-03, 08:17 AM
Wizard of the Necromancer variety.
It's not the power, it's the fluff. The power of death, the undead minions, the scarry aura that you give off...

Morithias
2011-11-03, 08:22 AM
My favorite class is the Rogue. It's one of the few classes that has good social skills without spells, and still can be decent combat. Plus they get AWESOME powers as changelings, and really good prestige classes. Like the disciple of Mammon.

Eldan
2011-11-03, 08:27 AM
Difficult... purely from core, Wizard. Out of core, Binder, Beguiler, Swordsage.

Since I usually like to play a Sneaky/casty hybrid, I'll go with Beguiler.

Interestingly, I can't think of any really good beguiler moments though, off-hand.

Gotterdammerung
2011-11-03, 08:37 AM
It is hard for me to pick a favorite class.

With multiclassing, and prestige classing, my characters rarely can be judged effectively by "one class".

If i wasn't allowed to multiclass or prestige class my favorite class would probably be bard.

I enjoy support roles because i can unleash without worrying about overshadowing anybodies experience.

I enjoy skill monkey's because I hate situations like an epic hero who has trouble hopping over a puddle.

Bard combines a lot of the archetypes I enjoy and added spell casting is just bonus.

Akto
2011-11-03, 08:57 AM
Mine has to be the cleric, The whole serving a divine being while at the same time kicking arse no matter what role you want, you can do so much and do them good, and at the same time, the party really likes having you around for stuff like buffs, vigor, and if feeling generous a small heal here and there =P

terminusdrop321
2011-11-03, 08:59 AM
My favourite class has got to be the Duskblade.
mostly because it was the first character class ive ever played to lvl 20.
i also love the casting in armor ability while still being able to melee:smallsmile:

Mooncrow
2011-11-03, 09:06 AM
Archivist, no question. Love the fluff, love the abilities, and it makes a great platform for just about any caster build imaginable.

FearlessGnome
2011-11-03, 09:09 AM
Sorcerer. Pick the spells you like, use them at every opportunity. Prestidigitation, Ghost Sound, Buzzing Bee, Invisibility... Plus you're pretty, straight out of the box.

Gullintanni
2011-11-03, 09:12 AM
Warforged Wildshape Variant Ranger...Dinobots! ROLL OUT!

Mr.Smashy
2011-11-03, 09:27 AM
Barbarian. Hands down.
The first character I ever played was a Barbarian that had an intelligence of 5. Mild retardation according to the DM at the time. He would pick up random useless items that he thought were "Magical." like a large vanity size mirror that he carried on his back for a whole two adventures cause "It was shiny, so had to be worth money." He had little to no sense of money, and let the CG bard "keep track" of his finances, which eventually ended up nabbing him some awesome weapons, Several of them, for a pittance, cause he never bought anything but food, wine, and harlottes. Played that character until he rolled a 1 on a fort save vs. Disintegrate. sad sad day.

Socratov
2011-11-03, 09:28 AM
Warforged Wildshape Variant Ranger...Dinobots! ROLL OUT!

nice :smallamused:

I must say I had quite a lot of fun playing a dread pirate with leadership. handling a ship in heavy storm like it was a light breeze was quite funny...

Little Brother
2011-11-03, 09:31 AM
I really like Theurges. When I was an ubernewb, I played one and it was immensely fun. I would just throw bajillions of spells at everything and call it good.

Also, factotums. Erudites are also super fun. Similar abilities to a wizard, which is super-fun, but more spontaneous.

Basically, anything magical with a lot of utility. Spontaneous is better, but anything like that, IMO.

Krazzman
2011-11-03, 09:42 AM
Uff...I have to choose between Rogue and Warlock in DnD 3.5 and Magus and Rogue in Pathfinder...

My first class was a Rogue, it was the only true campaign that held for more than 3 sessions (we got to about 14 sessions [being fryday evening, whole saturday sunday till evening]) and it was hell of a fun (I'm no longer allowed to play elves because of that...). My later rogues always made fun to play and were quite badass.

The one time I played a Warlock (from what time I began to love them...) was purely made of win. I was going on every ones nerves: the BBEG, Party member 1 and 2, BSGG (Big stupid good guy) and so on. Fun :D

Rogue in Pathfinder had some improvements but only advancing by level 2 my NE Rogue aquired a Tower and threatened the paladin to kick him out if he keeps insulting him. Dumb look from paladin why I own the "dungeon" we are "raiding" but was fun.

And now in an upcoming/starting campaign I play a Magus and so far destroyed a table with the dwarf cause we had a Arm Wrestle Contest.

Amphetryon
2011-11-03, 09:43 AM
My favorites are Dread Necromancer, Psychic Warrior, Hexblade, Warlock, and Wilder. They all fulfill a 'debuffing Gish" archetype role, but could also make a complete party by themselves.

Optimator
2011-11-03, 04:34 PM
Bards, with Warblade as a close second.

One of the characters I've played the most is a Bard 6 Lyric Thaumaturge 9 Virtuoso 1 Sublime Chord 2 Virtuoso 2+. Too much fun. Most of the power of a delayed Sorcerer with music goodies and good skill points. I also have a half-dragon Warblade/Bard that sees some play and a Warforged IC machine.

legomaster00156
2011-11-03, 04:52 PM
The following references Pathfinder rules, not D&D 3.5.

I like to play Paladins. Keeping up the Lawful Good alignment can be a fun roleplaying challenge, and unlike some Paladins, I don't go around enforcing morality on other players. I do, however, attempt to compensate for any particularly chaotic (or, Iomedae forbid, evil) party members.
In the mechanical aspect, I enjoy the self-healing (swift action, woot!), and the large proficiency range. Between d10 hit dice, healing, and heavy armor, they make excellent tanks. In addition, the Mercies allow them to help the Cleric when it comes to support. Overall, it's a fairly solid class.

CactusAir
2011-11-03, 04:56 PM
Totemist.

Unleash the Beast Within.

or as someone put it: Build your monster for the day. It's almost like playing Pokemon.

Anderlith
2011-11-03, 05:03 PM
Artificer, I love magic engineers, I wish hard that Pathfinder will make them

Krazzman
2011-11-04, 02:55 AM
Artificer, I love magic engineers, I wish hard that Pathfinder will make them

they were third partyed. You might want to look at them.

Feytalist
2011-11-04, 03:40 AM
My favourite class to play is Warlock. Somehow I feel I can roleplay those easier than other characters. At-will abilities are also fun, especially if you pick the more silly ones, heh.

I also regularly play healbot-types, because those fit my playstyle better. Although I like the idea of the Favoured Soul more than that of the cleric. So I guess those are my other choice.

Alleran
2011-11-04, 03:55 AM
Wizard. I know the cheat codes to the multiverse, and have no compunctions about using them.

Golden Ladybug
2011-11-04, 04:28 AM
Weeeel...hmm, I'm gonna have to say Sorceror. Why would I want to pretend to be a mouldy old man who spent his life pouring over dusty old tomes when I could just snap my fingers and make reality bend over?

The prettiness is also a nice draw to the class :smallwink:

Socratov
2011-11-04, 07:10 AM
Bards, with Warblade as a close second.

One of the characters I've played the most is a Bard 6 Lyric Thaumaturge 9 Virtuoso 1 Sublime Chord 2 Virtuoso 2+. Too much fun. Most of the power of a delayed Sorcerer with music goodies and good skill points. I also have a half-dragon Warblade/Bard that sees some play and a Warforged IC machine.

You didn't call him mr. Jukebox? :smallamused:

Barbarian. Hands down.
The first character I ever played was a Barbarian that had an intelligence of 5. Mild retardation according to the DM at the time. He would pick up random useless items that he thought were "Magical." like a large vanity size mirror that he carried on his back for a whole two adventures cause "It was shiny, so had to be worth money." He had little to no sense of money, and let the CG bard "keep track" of his finances, which eventually ended up nabbing him some awesome weapons, Several of them, for a pittance, cause he never bought anything but food, wine, and harlottes. Played that character until he rolled a 1 on a fort save vs. Disintegrate. sad sad day.

sad, sad day indeed... My first character was a bard (and a badly build one at that) which died when my DM wanted to kill the munchkin of our party. All the DM had to use was color spray, but he chose to use stun effects on us while flying, while the munchkin had a fort save through the roof, And I had a fort save which was barely in existence. I drowned and the munchkin continued to live...

Eric Scott
2012-01-24, 09:29 PM
If it has arcane casting abilities I play it... but my favorite class is warmage. Specifically Grey Elf Warmages because of the bonus to dex and int. In fact my 2 current characters are warmages... warmages with rainbow blast, sudden empower and sudden maximize.

Wyntonian
2012-01-24, 09:39 PM
I have a fondness for warblades. I like how they recover their maneuvers, are better samurai than samurai and and are pretty cool in general. Adding cool homebrewed disciplines just makes them better.

Also, warlocks.

But without the yucky "Arrrrgh, I'm so emo I sold my soul to the devil for the ability to go pewpewpew and a bunch of black eyeliner..."

No.

Obidiah Wilson, a halfling whose family is so closely bound to the holy wind and the art of crafting firearms that he can shoot a man with pinpoint precision from 250 feet away. Without a gun. Oh yeah.

DonutBoy12321
2012-01-24, 10:18 PM
My favorite has to be the Factotum. Being able to do everything at least a little bit, without breaking the game, is fun.

AzazelSephiroth
2012-01-24, 10:33 PM
My favorite is the Samurai, not the horrible CW samurai but the one from the OA book. Its not a super powerful class and is much like a fighter with an ancestral weapon and limited feats, but when played in the world with the fluff used as basis it was one of the best experiences I ever had.

My group did not allow too many books and the fact that the Samurai was one of the only classes that could use Iaijutsu Focus was amazing! I know many people claim that the Warblade is a better samurai but I never quite liked the way they felt, a little too flashy and cumbersome... we played simple back then :smallwink:

Nowadays I spend my time as a Bard/warblade... my party needs a face and is lacking in a solid meleer as well...

Tvtyrant
2012-01-24, 10:34 PM
Totemist, Master of Many Forms, and DFA probably. Though I almost invariably play a Cleric, Crusader or Paladin anyways.

pwykersotz
2012-01-24, 10:46 PM
Sorcerer.

I played my first game in a world that is over 40 years old. The GM built it when he was a teenager way back when. It has picked up so much ad hoc stuff over the years, that it doesn't fall into any known system or ruleset anymore.

I was playing an Ascension Mage and after about 15 levels, I had used my powers more than once to create light-based effects. Thus, I was routinely called by the title Sorcerer of Light (yep, THAT reference). So, as a lark, I took my next level in Sorcerer and only took spells with the Light descriptor or which could be justified as such.

I had such a blast running around like that and devoting myself to the discovery of new light spells that I never looked back. My favorite moment was picking up a magic amplifier that we didn't know the properties of and casting a better version of daylight through it. I perma-blinded the entire party.

Doughnut Master
2012-01-24, 11:05 PM
As painful as it is, I love the Monk. Nothing makes me feel warm and fuzzy like punching someone to death.

ScrambledBrains
2012-01-25, 12:31 AM
As evidenced by my Avatar, Swordsages are my favorite class.

I could attribute this to any number of factors-My upbringing on a steady diet of Power Rangers and Anime/Manga, my belief that martial arts should include a supernatural component(in mentality if nothing else.), maybe I just like the flexibility I felt when I was playing the class.

Best memory of playing the class...Setting Sun flipping the BBEG of the campaign into one of his summoned demons. Also, using one of the Shadow Hand teleport moves to teleport up to a windowledge to aid in my group's assault on another group of minor villians.

ahenobarbi
2012-01-25, 09:22 AM
Psion. Beacuse psions can do a lot without any external resources.

Sdonourg
2012-01-25, 09:35 AM
I really like shadowcasters for the fluff, binders and jesters for everything.

DigoDragon
2012-01-25, 09:39 AM
In my AD&D 2e days, I loved playing rogues. Since 3.5 however, I'm usually behind the DM screen so in the 2-3 times I was a PC, I've only played clerics (I dunno, somehow the group knows how to wrangle me into that class).

That being said, I've never played the cleric as the classic "upright divine warrior" that my friends usually do. I've grown fond of playing rogue/clerics and I'm surprised that two unlikely classes can actually work well together. A few divine buffs to my social skills (and the presentation that i'm a representative of the cloth) and I'm one mean Diplomancer.
I'm a bit disappointed that WotC didn't try doing more with this combo :smallsmile:

My current character is by far my favorite; a cloistered cleric who (as my wife put it) plays like a combination Jack Sparrow/Mother Teresa. She let herself get caught by slavers so she could steal the skeleton keys to her shackles, and then she puts on a dance routine so she could be sold to a wizard as an entertainer. She then uncovers some blackmail material on the wizard, renegotiates her freedom, and then breaks back into the slave pens to feed the slaves with food she purchased legitimately and to return the skeleton keys.
Being unable to find the guard she took the keys from, she donates them to the slaves and breaks back out. :smalltongue:

FMArthur
2012-01-25, 10:25 AM
I think I like Ranger the best overall. Somehow, they just kept accruing useful options and ACFs at a greater rate than any other class post-creation, and the result is something more customizable than a Fighter. They're good stealth and scout skillmonkeys out of the box with nice hit die/BAB and never trade that away, but there are Rangers of all sorts in Mystics, noncasters, alternate combat styles (one of which is Wild Shape essentially), pseudo-Wizards, caster hunters, trapfinders, small spell list trades, and multiple urban and planar varieties.

The fact that it started out as one of the blandest, most unfocused classes out there makes it all the sweeter to discover the Ranger's hidden potential.

gkathellar
2012-01-25, 11:19 AM
I'm gonna have to confess to being in love with the Erudite. The idea of this bookish, intellectual researcher pushing his glasses up his nose just before he tears down the walls of reality just strikes me as eminently classy.

Gullintanni
2012-01-25, 11:23 AM
If it has arcane casting abilities I play it... but my favorite class is warmage. Specifically Grey Elf Warmages because of the bonus to dex and int. In fact my 2 current characters are warmages... warmages with rainbow blast, sudden empower and sudden maximize.

Undead thread for the win! Last post until yesterday was November 4th last year :smallamused:

Randrew
2012-01-25, 11:27 AM
Expert. I love playing mundane characters and Expert allows me to be whatever I like.

Barbarian is a close second. For whatever reason, a good third of my character concepts end up being Barbarians.

FMArthur
2012-01-25, 11:37 AM
Undead thread for the win! Last post until yesterday was November 4th last year :smallamused:

That's not all that long ago. And apparently people are interested regardless.

Gullintanni
2012-01-25, 11:47 AM
That's not all that long ago. And apparently people are interested regardless.

Agreed. It's past six weeks though. Isn't that the arbitrary cut-off? :smallconfused:

Drathmar
2012-01-25, 11:57 AM
I would have to say... Soulknife. I had the most fun playing a soulknife as an assassin. So many times we would be asked to give up our weapons (he kept 2 daggers on him to make it look like he was conventionally armed), then he would surprise people by murdering them with his mindblade.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-01-25, 12:04 PM
My favorite base class is the cleric. I just like holding everyone's life in my hands with a friendly smile.

But my favorite class overall would be the Chameleon. The floating feat and dual spell selection are just so nice to play with.

Gwendol
2012-01-25, 12:08 PM
Ranger... and Bard... Even combined.

Ceaon
2012-01-25, 12:12 PM
Fluff-wise? Rangers. Crunch-wise? Druids.

FMArthur
2012-01-25, 12:17 PM
I would have to say... Soulknife. I had the most fun playing a soulknife as an assassin. So many times we would be asked to give up our weapons (he kept 2 daggers on him to make it look like he was conventionally armed), then he would surprise people by murdering them with his mindblade.

That's awesome. Sort of like the old Sorcerer-with-a-spellbook thing that people love to do so much.