PDA

View Full Version : Making a weapon for a level 9 Crusader

NOhara24
2011-11-03, 11:40 AM
Inspired by this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221324) I decided to bring up my potential weapon build for a character I'm currently playing. Information about him:

Human
Paladin 4/Crusader 1/RKV 4
27 STR

-Monkey Grip:smallfrown: (before I knew about strongarm bracers, which I now have.)
-EWP (Fullblade)
-Power Attack

Now, what I had in mind was a Large Adamantine Full Blade (3d8), with both the Consumptive (additional d8 vs. living creatures) and Vampiric (additional d6 against living creatures, conversely heals me with every strike.) enhancements. I don't have my notes in the front of me, but I believe it all comes to about 26,000 GP and has me doing 4d8+1d6+12 per turn.

But alas, I can not hope to match the wisdom of the collective playground. I've got about 36,000 GP to burn. Using this sword, the Max damage I could do (no crit) would be 50 damage which I'm very happy about. Can anyone do me one better? :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2011-11-03, 11:49 AM
You have a stance, so consider adding Martial Discipline to your weapon. Which stance(s) do you spend the most time in? I'd wager something in Devoted Spirit or Shadow Hand. That'll give you +3 to hit with that weapon, which in turn allows you to safely PA for more (up to 6 more damage per hit), or simply enjoy the extra accuracy.

Your weapon looks like a +3 equiv (Consumptive is +1, is Vampiric?). Adamantine adds 3000. That means that your weapon should be something around 21000g plus the base cost of the large fullblade.

BTW, speaking of large fullblades, did you know that you suffer a -4 to hit with that sucker? A large fullblade is actually a huge bastard sword, which is 2 size catagories above you. 3.5 changed the rules for weapons sizes. Just sayin...

NOhara24
2011-11-03, 12:25 PM
You have a stance, so consider adding Martial Discipline to your weapon. Which stance(s) do you spend the most time in? I'd wager something in Devoted Spirit or Shadow Hand. That'll give you +3 to hit with that weapon, which in turn allows you to safely PA for more (up to 6 more damage per hit), or simply enjoy the extra accuracy.

Your weapon looks like a +3 equiv (Consumptive is +1, is Vampiric?). Adamantine adds 3000. That means that your weapon should be something around 21000g plus the base cost of the large fullblade.

BTW, speaking of large fullblades, did you know that you suffer a -4 to hit with that sucker? A large fullblade is actually a huge bastard sword, which is 2 size catagories above you. 3.5 changed the rules for weapons sizes. Just sayin...

That's why I got the strongarm bracers, they allow me to treat my character as large for the purpose of wielding weapons, so a huge bastard sword is only a -2 to hit IIRC.

I'll definitely look into adding Martial Discipline to it, but I'll have to look and see what stance I spend the most time in before I do of course.

I thought that the whole thing came to about 26K, I'll post my exact notes when I get home. I think you're correct about the enhancement modifiers, which if that's the case, my next question would be about how stacking enhancements affects weapon cost.

Keld Denar
2011-11-03, 12:44 PM
For +equivalents, you simply add up the total number of +s on the weapon. Then you consult the table for the value of the weapon, or simply use the formula: Value = (pluses)^2 * 2000g.

A +1 weapon costs 2000g. A +1 Keen weapon costs the same as a +2 weapon, or 8000g. +2 Keen Flaming weapon costs the same as a +4, or 32000g. When upgrading, you pay the difference. So upgrading from a +1 Keen weapon to a +2 Keen Flaming weapon would cost you (32000-8000=24000g) additional.

This price neglects base and material costs, as well as static cost adders.

NOhara24
2011-11-03, 06:54 PM
These are my notes, turns out I had it all coming to 35,150 GP. Is all this right?

Vampiric Full Body Massage of Consumption

Full Blade (+100 GP) (+2d8)
Large (+50 GP) (+1d8)
Adamantine (+3,000 GP) (+1 to attack/damage)
Consumptive (+8,000 GP) (+2 bonus) (+1d8 against living creature)
Vampiric (+8,000 GP) (+2 bonus) (+1d6 against living creature, heals for me.)

Total Cost: 35,150 GP

Total Enhancement Bonus: +4 (32,000 GP)

JaronK
2011-11-03, 07:08 PM
IIRC Fullblades had special rules, meaning that with EXP you took no penalty for using them. If a penalty is being enforced, I recommend trying to retrain (ask your DM) away the Monkey Grip and EWP for EWP: Heavy Jovar. This lets you use an effectively large Jovar (2d8, 18-20 Critical), or a huge one with Strongarm Bracers.

From there, since I know you're using the rules for equipment upgrades from Dragon, consider the Serrated and Basket Hilt options (they're both sword only, and you might as well).

I'm also a fan of Keen + Enfeebling, personally. But that could be just me.

JaronK

NOhara24
2011-11-03, 07:14 PM
IIRC Fullblades had special rules, meaning that with EXP you took no penalty for using them. If a penalty is being enforced, I recommend trying to retrain (ask your DM) away the Monkey Grip and EWP for EWP: Heavy Jovar. This lets you use an effectively large Jovar (2d8, 18-20 Critical), or a huge one with Strongarm Bracers.

From there, since I know you're using the rules for equipment upgrades from Dragon, consider the Serrated and Basket Hilt options (they're both sword only, and you might as well).

I'm also a fan of Keen + Enfeebling, personally. But that could be just me.

JaronK

No penalty for using it would be enforced outside the typical size penalty (-2) I'm gonna try to get rid of Monkey Grip when I see my DM tomorrow, depending on what he wants in exchange. I'll look into the enhancements you mentioned though, as well as the Jovar. Where can it's info be found?

JaronK
2011-11-03, 07:17 PM
No penalty for using it would be enforced outside the typical size penalty (-2) I'm gonna try to get rid of Monkey Grip when I see my DM tomorrow, depending on what he wants in exchange. I'll look into the enhancements you mentioned though, as well as the Jovar. Where can it's info be found?

Jovar is in IIRC Manual of the Planes. It's just an exotic greatsword with a better critical threat range... which is a lot better than the slight damage bump of the Fullblade anyway. The critical thing would make Serrated a huge bonus for you, especially if you take Improved Critical or just make it Keen. Making it Heavy (the whole enchanted Gold thing from FR) would make it deal damage as though it were large to begin with, which gets you fullblade damage with the crits. You could also consider making it out of Abyssal Blood Iron for the crit confirmation boost.

JaronK

Nagukuk
2011-11-03, 11:22 PM
Also check with your DM, about the cost of Admantine for your big arse weapon.

+3000 may be considered to be for a "regular" sized weapon making a sword 2 sizes larger for the same +3000... now isnt that a real magic trick :smallcool:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-11-03, 11:29 PM
Get Wrathful Healing, from Enemies and Allies page 20. It costs a +3, and whenever the weapon deals damage, you're healed for half the total dealt, including extra damage from strength, power attack, maneuvers, etc. It's 3.0, but officially it's still perfectly legit for 3.5 unless it was reprinted elsewhere, which it was not.

Fullblade is just another name for a Large Bastard Sword in 3.5, change your exotic weapon proficiency to bastard sword to comply with the current rules at least. Hire an NPC Psion to use Psychic Reformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm) on you to replace Monkey Grip.

NOhara24
2011-11-04, 07:24 AM
SO MANY GOOD IDEAS.

Alright, so I've got to train away Monkey Grip and EWP:Full Blade and replace it with EWP: Jovar.

I did some researching and found in the RAW thread on this very forum that the Heavy weapon enhancement is incompatible with 3.5 Rules, because they modify weapon weights from 3.0, and that whole mess was thrown out when 3.5 came into the picture.

However, the Keen enhancement and enfeebling on a weapon with a crit range of 18-20 is rather tempting...But I almost NEVER roll that high on attack rolls :smallannoyed: I can say, quite comfortably, that the only reason I ever hit an enemy is because of my attack bonus.

But thank you for all the help, I'll definitely be looking into everything you all mentioned. I'll see if I can sneak in Wrathful Healing from 3.0, my DM is pretty lenient, but I think that bringing in other systems might be pushing the envelope.

HunterOfJello
2011-11-04, 07:41 AM
I'm a big fan of Keen + Prismatic Burst on a weapon once the errata for the MiC reduced the cost of Pristmatic Burst down to 15,000. Enfeebling is definitely better when less gold is available though. I hadn't seen that enchantment before.

NOhara24
2011-11-04, 09:16 PM
Hey all,

Just an update. My DM is letting me replace Monkey Grip with another feat (I'll probably take Battle Blessing) But to finish out the thread I have another conundrum...

I need a STR bonus. Bad. I've currently got a +6 enhancement bonus permanency, so I'm at 27 now. Is there a better spell I can have cast on me? I know about the "Bite of the X" spells, but my character wouldn't accept his physical form being modified. He sees himself as too attractive. Ideas? As much STR, in the least amount of time as possible.