PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a 3DS?

Chess435
2011-11-03, 02:05 PM
I've personally considered getting one, but I'm not sure if I want to bother saving up the $170 + tax. For those of you out there that already have one, I want to ask: Is it worth the cost?

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-03, 09:27 PM
I mean, I like the 3DS, but mostly because my original DS was falling apart with an uncharging battery and I needed a replacement.

I guess the deal is, with the 3DS, there's just so many "tiny" nitpicky issues that it's kind of hard for me to objectively compliment it. Its biggest game right now is Ocarina of Time, which is kind of "Meh" for my personal opinion, and then... There's not a lot else that you can't get on a DS/Lite/i/XL. The 3D is awesome, but there's not a lot of good games to use it with. There's the Nintendo eShop, but most of the things on there that people are interested in buying are rereleases of older Nintendo games (and since you're buying now, you're not qualified to get the free games that early adopters got). It's got a built-in web browser, but no Flash/Youtube support and Facebook kinda half-works on it. You could use it to take pictures, I guess, but... Eh. There's pseudo-Nintendo-Facebook, but it's only relevant if you're not playing games. True, there are Augmented Reality games you get for free with the system, which are pretty fancy for tech demonstrations, but they're not very deep.

I mean, there's some Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario Kart 7, and Paper Mario 3DS titles planned in the future that are supposed to be good, and I thought there was a sort of Smash Bros. game in the pipeworks, but... Okay, I don't want to recommend you to buy a 3DS just for those games because I haven't played them and can't tell you if they're any good. But, I want to recommend you to buy a 3DS just for those games to make sure that all those titles get released and not cancelled in production.

Volatar
2011-11-03, 11:35 PM
Wish I could, but I am one of those people that can't see in 3d, so it would just be a waste of money.

Zevox
2011-11-03, 11:42 PM
Wish I could, but I am one of those people that can't see in 3d, so it would just be a waste of money.
You do realize that the 3DS is a new-generation system, not just a DS with 3D, right? Heck, the option exists to turn off the 3D, and there's good reason to do so, since that significantly increases the battery life.

Anyway, I don't have one yet, mainly due to a lack of games I want for it being out yet. I have recently suggested it as a Christmas present option to my family, but even when I was thinking up games to suggest going with it, I could only come up with four that will be out by that time - Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, and Devil Survivor Overclocked. Three of which are remakes.

Yeah, there's plenty coming out in the future that I want for it, particularly the new Paper Mario and Kid Icarus: Uprising (which looks like all kinds of awesome), not to mention the next Super Smash Brothers (though whether that'll just be a neutered handheld version of the Wii U title or a separate game altogether is a question I'll need answered there), but for now the system's worthwhile titles are pretty scant.

Zevox

The-Mage-King
2011-11-03, 11:48 PM
Yep. I got one.

I'm one of those who, when watching 3d for too long, gets a headache, so it stays on lowest setting/off for me, when I'm playing, oh, OoT.

Not that bad, honestly.

'prolly not worth the price tag quite yet, though. Give it a year or two, and it should be.

Moonshadow
2011-11-04, 12:00 AM
No, it's not worth it. Maybe when they release a flash cart that cracks the region locking, but until then, I personally think that it's a waste of money.

Volatar
2011-11-04, 12:08 AM
You do realize that the 3DS is a new-generation system, not just a DS with 3D, right? Heck, the option exists to turn off the 3D, and there's good reason to do so, since that significantly increases the battery life.

I know all this (my best friend has one). Without 3d the price is not worth it IMO.

Zevox
2011-11-04, 12:18 AM
I know all this (my best friend has one). Without 3d the price is not worth it IMO.
...why, may I ask? Because that doesn't make sense. You know that the 3D is not the point of the system, just an optional feature, but think that without that feature it isn't worth buying? :smallconfused:

Zevox

Yhynens
2011-11-04, 12:40 AM
@OP: Don't buy a 3ds yet. They're bound to release a "3DSi" at some point with an integrated second stick instead of that ugly attachment thing on the current model, as well as other upgrades (like a slimmer size.) So, if you haven't bought one yet, wait for that.

@Zevox: While I agree that the system works without the 3D and it certainly won't be fully utilized by most 3rd party games, I think saying "the 3D is not the point of the system" is a bit strong, especially considering OoT remake didn't really add anything besides the 3D (EDIT: Oh right, Master Quest. I forgot since I had that collector's edition disc already), and they're pushing the 3D's influence on platforming pretty hard with Mario 3D Land. Still, playing it "flat" doesn't really prevent you from playing the game at all, it might just make it a little harder.

@Volatar: Do you have astigmatism, maybe? I do, and can't see 3D at all with my glasses on, but when I wear my contacts I can see it pretty well. Granted, contacts are pretty pricey.

Zevox
2011-11-04, 12:52 AM
@Zevox: While I agree that the system works without the 3D and it certainly won't be fully utilized by most 3rd party games, I think saying "the 3D is not the point of the system" is a bit strong, especially considering OoT remake didn't really add anything besides the 3D (EDIT: Oh right, Master Quest. I forgot since I had that collector's edition disc already), and they're pushing the 3D's influence on platforming pretty hard with Mario 3D Land. Still, playing it "flat" doesn't really prevent you from playing the game at all, it might just make it a little harder.
The Ocarina of Time remake also updated the graphics from what I hear, and added some sort of tip system - haven't played it, so I don't know all the details. But in any event, it's Ocarina of Time - they didn't even need to add anything to it, as it's already one of the most popular and beloved games of all time.

Don't know what you're talking about with "3D's influence on platforming," as I can't see how 3D would have any influence on anything myself.

Zevox

Yhynens
2011-11-04, 01:13 AM
Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense just saying it, but it's definitely an observable effect. They're pushing the depth perception and odd camera angles pretty hard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=BXF_SRIadEM. You'd totally never see this "above head" style in a normal 3d platformer, but in a visually 3d one it just... makes sense somehow. A lot of Mario is about judging distances of jumps, and they're utilizing the 3d in a neat way, here. I'm not saying it's necessarily better or worse, but they're definitely doing something interesting with it. ...Of course, whether or not it's interesting is still just a matter of opinion, but that's what I was talking about.

And OoT 3D's updated graphics and belovedness aside, neither really had to do with my point, which was just that one of the big things they added was the 3D.

Zevox
2011-11-04, 01:20 AM
Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense just saying it, but it's definitely an observable effect. They're pushing the depth perception and odd camera angles pretty hard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=BXF_SRIadEM. You'd totally never see this "above head" style in a normal 3d platformer, but in a visually 3d one it just... makes sense somehow. A lot of Mario is about judging distances of jumps, and they're utilizing the 3d in a neat way, here. I'm not saying it's necessarily better or worse, but they're definitely doing something interesting with it. ...Of course, whether or not it's interesting is still just a matter of opinion, but that's what I was talking about.
Strange. Can't say I'm a fan of it. I guess it's nice that they're trying to find some use for the 3D, but I don't think it should be done in a way that'll make the game harder to play if you turn off the 3D like that will.

And OoT 3D's updated graphics and belovedness aside, neither really had to do with my point, which was just that one of the big things they added was the 3D.
And I'm not seeing how that matters in the least. That 3D was added to the game is tangential and unimportant. It doesn't change the game in any meaningful way, and it certainly doesn't refute my statement that the 3D is not the point of the system, but just one feature of it.

Zevox

Yhynens
2011-11-04, 01:42 AM
I'm not trying to refute your statement. I'm just saying it's a bit strong. In any case, I agree to disagree.

But yeah, as someone who can barely see the 3D anyway, I do personally agree that the direction Mario 3D Land is taking is pretty dumb, but I was trying to be impartial about it. Actually, if anything was to argue for the 3D being "the point" of the 3DS, it would probably be this game, since I doubt you could fully enjoy it if you couldn't see 3D at all. I'm just hoping I can at least see it well enough to get something out of the game aside from design philisophy, since I'm a pretty diehard Mario fan.

Sipex
2011-11-04, 08:04 AM
I've got one, it's not a bad system but as others have said there aren't a lot of games out for it yet.

There are a lot of big games coming out mind you but I'd wait for them to come out at this rate unless you really REALLY want Ocarina of Time.

I also have Ocarina of Time and I enjoy it. It's basically the original game with updated graphics and the ability to play 3D if you so wish. It's not something I'd buy a console for but rather a game I'd buy simply because I had the console.

Battery life is kind of low compared to the DS. It's not bad (you can still get several hours out of it) but it is noticably shorter compared to the DS.

It's a Nintendo console so the only reason you should buy it is for gaming, any of the extra features should be considered just that, extra features. However, if you do get one they do have Netflix (which works very well).

Drascin
2011-11-04, 09:11 AM
I don't have one, yet.

I will, though. The moment I knew there were two Monster Hunter games in development for it was when I knew I would inevitably have this thing if there was any chance for me to play them. Only question is knowing either if someone will crack the regionlock or if they will be coming to Europe - the moment that's answered, I'll get one.

Lord Seth
2011-11-04, 07:16 PM
I mostly got my 3DS because my current DS wasn't working so well, and I knew I'd be getting a 3DS eventually anyway. The main issue with it is that there aren't that many particularly great games for it yet...the only games that have received particularly strong reviews seem to be the Ocarina of Time remake and Street Fighter IV.

Still, Super Mario 3D Land, Sonic Generations (who knows, maybe they'll get it right this time), Mario Kart 7, and Cave Story 3D are all going to be out within a month, so there's a good chance there will soon be much more of a reason to get one.

Archonic Energy
2011-11-07, 04:42 AM
yes.

and i've been playing alot of Z:OoT 3D

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-08, 12:58 AM
Well, it looks like I gotta retract a statement I made earlier: looks like the basic Facebook stuff works fine on the 3DS now. I know a lot of people don't care about that, but there's probably a couple of people who do care.

Drascin
2011-11-08, 10:24 AM
I mostly got my 3DS because my current DS wasn't working so well, and I knew I'd be getting a 3DS eventually anyway. The main issue with it is that there aren't that many particularly great games for it yet...the only games that have received particularly strong reviews seem to be the Ocarina of Time remake and Street Fighter IV.

Still, Super Mario 3D Land, Sonic Generations (who knows, maybe they'll get it right this time), Mario Kart 7, and Cave Story 3D are all going to be out within a month, so there's a good chance there will soon be much more of a reason to get one.

Honestly, I have no idea how similar to the PC version the 3DS version is. But I can tell you that on PC at least, they very much did get it right. The game is incredibly fun :smallbiggrin:.

Deth Muncher
2011-11-09, 06:22 PM
Honestly, I have no idea how similar to the PC version the 3DS version is. But I can tell you that on PC at least, they very much did get it right. The game is incredibly fun :smallbiggrin:.

I've heard there's a lot of 3DS exclusive content for Generations, like multiplayer.

Mockingbird
2011-11-09, 06:44 PM
The 3d mode makes my eyes burn out of my sockets, but I got it for paper mario and possibly Majora's Mask. (I hope they port it to 3ds.)

Chess435
2011-12-27, 04:39 PM
Update: Went ahead and bought one for christmas, really like it.
Friend Code is: 1289-8662-0803

Sipex
2011-12-28, 10:39 AM
My wife got Super Mario 3D Land for Christmas and it looks very nice. Best use of 3D so far imo.

Kesnit
2011-12-28, 10:53 AM
Not sure where you are located. If there is a GameStop (or equivalent) nearby, watch for deals. I got the OoT edition (3DS and game) for $100 because I traded in my fiancee's DSi. (With her permission. The 3DS was her Christmas present from me.)

Game selection is limited, but hopefully that will change. She really enjoys The Hidden and Skylanders.

Triscuitable
2011-12-29, 12:04 AM
I'll pick up the 3DSiXL Phat Lite whenever the hell that abomination of Nintendo releases. I do not see Nintendo as an abomination.

Deth Muncher
2011-12-29, 03:27 AM
3D Tetris is (what I assume is) what it's like for a Catholic getting to high-five the pope. Freaking get that game if you've ever loved Tetris at all in your life. It's got a billionty different game modes, not the least of which including my favorite from my childhood, Bombliss (known here in the States as Tetris Blast, for the Game Boy Original). Also, you can set what music you want to listen to, and to my knowledge it's the first Tetris game to correctly identify "The Tetris Theme" as Korobienki.

Mario 3D Land is...hm. How to put it. The odd implementation of the Tanuki suit is...well, a fail, to be sure. But it's a solid game, with the hidden coin aspect I've come to expect of the handheld Marios not being too overbearing.

Shinobi 3D is also a game that works really well. If you played the old Shinobi games on the Sega systems, you'll probably like it.

Cave Story 3D simultaneously makes me happy and sad. Sad, because it's freaking freeware that I paid for, but happy, because it's got AWESOME remixes of the soundtrack, and the 3D implementation is top notch.

DiscipleofBob
2011-12-29, 11:50 AM
I'll most likely end up getting a 3DS for no other reason than Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, even if it ends up sucking.

I've learned from past experiences if I try to hold out on a system it'll come out with awesome must-have games. It happened to me with FF7 for Playstation, FFX for Playstation 2, Dissidia for the PSP, and it's likely that pattern will continue for me.

Sipex
2011-12-29, 11:53 AM
Super Mario 3D Land is probably the most fun I've had with a Mario game since Super Mario 64.

Not that the others were bad just there's something about this one that really works for me.

Delorges
2011-12-29, 04:36 PM
I don't have a 3DS yet, but plan to get one. Sometime. Not sure when... The thing with the second analog stick really bugged me (c'mon! either built it with two sticks in the first place, or say you only need one and stick with that! :smallconfused: ). And there aren't (m)any games out yet that I'd be interested in.

Had chances to test out the 3D-effect on my brothers' systems, but it doesn't quite do it for me... I mean, yeah, I can see a difference, but the "effect" isn't stunning or impressive at all. Maybe I don't see it quite right, the screen always looks slightly blurred to me with 3D on. Never held it long enough to know whether I get headaches when watching longer. So yeah, at this point 3D isn't a reason to buy it for me.

On the other hand, now all three of my brothers have their own 3DS, and whenever I see them with it, I want one, too~ :smallfrown: Damned jealousy, tempting me to waste money.... 'cause I actually really want to wait for the light/i/whatever version, which seems the most reasonable thing in my situation.
Anyone can make a guess how long I'd have to wait till the new version?

Prime32
2011-12-30, 09:03 PM
I couldn't find the right angle for 3D when I tried one out in the shop, but a day or two after I got my own I could see it consistently. The manual suggests starting with the 3D slider low and increasing it as you get used to it - I have no idea how useful that advice is, I just started on full.

Linkavitch
2011-12-30, 11:05 PM
I have one. I traded my DS lite in the first day it dropped to $170. So far, I just have Ocarina 3D as far as new games go, but I'm really liking playing my old DS games with the slide pad. And I WILL be getting, Paper Mario 3D, Super Smash Bros. Universe, and Mariokart 7. Not necessarily in that order.

Oh, I also got the 25th anniversary free edition of Zelda: Four Swords I never played it before, so I thought it was a good grab. I haven't actually played it with anyone though, cuz I don't know anyone with a 3DS. Maybe that'll change when I go to college next year, I dunno.

Sipex
2012-01-03, 12:51 PM
If you have any friends with a DSi you can play it with them as well. Both the 3DS and the DSi had Four Swords made available to them and they can play together.

Fri
2012-01-05, 12:34 AM
I want to buy it, but stores around here are still selling it with its old price >.<

I wonder when, if ever, they'll sell it with the new price. I'm definitely going to buy this, but not with that much of price difference.

cattoy
2012-01-05, 03:12 AM
I was given one, but it's just for work. I don't even own any 3d games for it.

Drizvolta
2012-01-31, 12:28 AM
I was given one, but it's just for work. I don't even own any 3d games for it.

I'm trying to figure out what workplace would give its employees 3DS.

I had a huge paragraph of text written, but I decided I was being way too much of a Nintendo apologist. Basically, get the system if you see a game you want to play on it, I know Monster Hunter 3G is supposed to come to the west later in 2012, and then go back and play Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario Land 3D.

Zevox

The Succubus
2012-01-31, 08:26 AM
I had one but traded it in on the weekend.

There simply aren't enough of the right games to keep me interested and with rumours of a 3DSi on the way with dual thumbsticks, I felt that it was wiser to trade it in now while there was still demand rather than wait in the folorn hope of appealing games and then have the trade in price crash when news of the revamped model comes out.

Don't get me wrong, it's nothing personal Nintendo - my old DS is joyous little system and I've spent many a happy evening grinding my teeth in frustration over a boss fight in Castlevania or reliving a wasted childhood playing Chrono Trigger (which btw, was a real swine to get hold of in the UK). But as it is now, the 3DS is a shiny box with a pretty bow and nothing inside. Sorry.