PDA

View Full Version : Near-ly Broken Templates

ExemplarofAvg
2011-11-03, 04:14 PM
Alright, so I have a player that's really good at role-play for a campaign. However he's RPing in a way that goes against the rest of the party, the NPCs, the Campaign, and sometimes their own alignment.

So I want to give them hell, I'm going to cut off their P(enis)C, I know it's bad, and it would be an abuse of power on my part, but with the way he's RPing this character, and the problems he's causing for the group, it's either his character dies, or the group will kill him. I know he's probably just doing it "For Teh Lulz" but says 'Well it's just how my character acts' I've tossed in the usual threats I'm known for, statues coming to life, ground opening up, but I don't wanna go too over the top in case I end up wiping out the whole party.

So I was wondering what are the broken or near broken templates, the ones that give a lot compared to what you lose. I know of three that are always said: Lolth-Touched, Feral and Mineral Warrior, but what are the others, if any.

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-03, 04:16 PM
I'm confused. You want these templates for monsters to use against the party?

Coidzor
2011-11-03, 04:29 PM
So I want to give them hell, I'm going to cut off their P(enis)C,

Once you're actually willing to say that, you're so far beyond in-game solutions it's not even funny.

Calanon
2011-11-03, 05:01 PM
Once you're actually willing to say that, you're so far beyond in-game solutions it's not even funny.

On a hilarious note one time a player decided to he wanted to cut off a clerics "meat spear" and wave it around to use as a holy weapon against undead...

ExemplarofAvg
2011-11-03, 05:11 PM
I'm confused. You want these templates for monsters to use against the party?

Just the one, yes.

No, he'll RP differently with a different character, I just intend to get rid of the one character.

Eldest
2011-11-03, 05:15 PM
Have you tried... talking to the guy and telling him how close you are to fiating his death?
I'm pretty sure that if somebody hears that, they will think about what they are doing really hard.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-11-03, 05:22 PM
Have you tried... talking to the guy and telling him how close you are to fiating his death?
I'm pretty sure that if somebody hears that, they will think about what they are doing really hard.

Yeah, that's when I got told he'd RP differently, IF his character died. Well it's dying next time around.

Curious
2011-11-03, 05:25 PM
Dragonborn is pretty powerful combined with something like Warforged or Water Orc.

CactusAir
2011-11-03, 05:28 PM
I vote for vecna blooded ninja, actually.

Undetectable assassin ganks him in the dark. Why punish the rest of the party with him?

ExemplarofAvg
2011-11-03, 05:39 PM
Dragonborn is pretty powerful combined with something like Warforged or Water Orc.

Which would be better, I'm feeling a Dragonborn Warforged with multiple other boosts could be fun. But Water Orc, meh, don't know much about them.

I vote for vecna blooded ninja, actually.

Undetectable assassin ganks him in the dark. Why punish the rest of the party with him?

Because I don't want to single him out, completely.

Coidzor
2011-11-03, 05:58 PM
No, he'll RP differently with a different character, I just intend to get rid of the one character.

...That's just bizarrely borked. Don't even believe

Because I don't want to single him out, completely.

He asked you to. Apparently.

Hyfigh
2011-11-03, 06:48 PM
...That's just bizarrely borked. Don't even believe

He asked you to. Apparently.

+1
Just fiat him down the drain and make him roll anew.

Curious
2011-11-03, 07:02 PM
Which would be better, I'm feeling a Dragonborn Warforged with multiple other boosts could be fun. But Water Orc, meh, don't know much about them.

Water Orc is quite strong because it gets +4 Str and +2 Con, which stacks with the stat adjustments made by Dragonborn. It also eliminates its light sensitivity and fire vulnerability, while retaining its swim speed.

On the other hand, Warforged Dragonborn become (Dragonblooded, Living Construct) Constructs, and most of their juicy benefits are derived from their subtype. In fact, you can still qualify for body feats, as they don't actually specify that you need plating to get them.

This makes for some cool flavor synergy with Mineral Warrior; a Warforged that begged the gods for a body of flesh with which to experience the world, and was granted its wish. However, after the initial rush of delight at his new-found senses, the warforged began to feel naked and exposed in his new form. Searching out an esoteric wizard, he payed him to transform his body into living stone, and then welded plates of adamantine to his skin. Rockin'. :smallamused:

NOhara24
2011-11-03, 07:02 PM
. I know he's probably just doing it "For Teh Lulz" but says 'Well it's just how my character acts'

No. That's BS. Any decision his character makes is his first. He knows OoC that he's disrupting the game and infringing on other PC's fun. Cutting off his junk won't do anything. Pull him aside and kindly ask him to change his character's ways for the reasons mentioned, and if he doesn't change, kill his character.

NNescio
2011-11-03, 07:04 PM
On a hilarious note one time a player decided to he wanted to cut off a clerics "meat spear" and wave it around to use as a holy weapon against undead...

<insert Disgaea reference>

Keegan__D
2011-11-03, 07:09 PM
Attempt to lure him away from the party's quest? Analyze his character, or discuss it with him, and find something that his character would abandon the party for. Suggest he sneak off into the night to obtain it, and his character runs into trouble far down the line so he can't return.

If neither of you can come to a conclusion, drop an assassin on him. Not something appropriate for the party level, just an expensive, high level assassin. Claim some rich NPC was offended by his actions, and they hired an assassin. Coupe de grace him in his sleep, and when the players ask "what the hell?", you simply answer "Someone wasn't happy with the way he acted." Describe that it definitely looked like a professional hit, and be done with it.

Alternatively, if you would prefer to do it the way you suggested, finding a weakness only he has could work. A particularly low save, an AC type he has lower than the party, if he's a spellcaster, silence him and send generic goons of appropriate level after everyone. Enough to take him down, but not enough to worry the melees too much. A skill check he has a low value in, etc. Providing a summary of his build would be helpful.

JaronK
2011-11-03, 07:13 PM
Half Minotaur is the big one... +1LA for some nice benefits to begin with, but it also makes you large and then gives you the stat bumps for going up in size from the MM1 (Explicitly) which are extremely potent. A Half Minotaur Water Orc is +1LA for some absolutely obscene stats.

Though personally, I'd say make it happen appropriately in game. When he ticks off the wrong person, send in a Necropolitan Dark Whispergnome assassin to get the job done. Someone perhaps using Hidden Talent or standard Psionics to use Psionic Minor Creation and then attack with vicious poisons.

JaronK

CTrees
2011-11-03, 07:17 PM
What level? At level one, i'd say go with the ol' revived fossil baboon, but at level twenty, it wouldn't be noticed. Incorporeal is rough for a few levels, but again it stops being noticeable.

That said, half-black dragon war troll:smallamused:

Urpriest
2011-11-03, 07:47 PM
The templates you're hearing about are the ones that are broken for PCs. I think you'd rather use templates that are powerful on NPCs, i.e. powerful for their CR. Were-Battletitan is hilarious, especially with Feral or something else based on hit dice (Phrenic, for example). Tauric can be hideously abused in a few ways, for PCs or NPCs. Learn to love nonassociated class levels, you can go far with them (I've recently learned to love Ardent for this purpose, but Ur-Priest is also an option).

Arbane
2011-11-03, 07:48 PM
This is not going to work.

Tell Bozo Player to knock it off, or you'll flat-out kill his character with a Blue Bolt From Beyond. Yes, it's ham-fisted, but giving him a chance to fight back will just leave you with a Bozo Character WITH MORE XP and a greater desire not to get killed by the next grudgemonster you throw at him.

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-03, 10:20 PM
This is not going to work.

Tell Bozo Player to knock it off, or you'll flat-out kill his character with a Blue Bolt From Beyond.

+1. Doesn't necessarily have to be a Blue Bolt From Beyond, though. There are other variations on this theme. Rocks Fall But Only You Die, Toilet Seat From Space, or my personal favorite: Roll a bunch of dice, silently pretend to add them up, then look at him and tell him to roll 4d6. When he asks why, tell him he's rolling up a new character. If he asks why, tell him it was a poorly aimed fireball from afar.

Heck, heart attacks theoretically happen in D&D too.

Alleran
2011-11-03, 10:23 PM
Divine Rank 0 or Saint. Or Paragon.

Or all three on the one opponent.

Chained Birds
2011-11-03, 10:43 PM

You sir made my day.

Arbane
2011-11-03, 10:59 PM
Heck, heart attacks theoretically happen in D&D too.

"Someone you annoyed got hold of a Death Note. Now make a new character."

marcielle
2011-11-04, 02:33 AM
Would his character accept gifts? Having him hold a bunch of arrows with the opposite alignment thingy will auto drain him to 0. Since he is not RP'ing his alignment, just change it without telling him, and hand him the arrows which he does not know will kill him. This will also show him to be honest about his alignment to boot. For extra lol points, give it to another player, have him hold it to no detriment , then have the player hand it to him.

Morph Bark
2011-11-04, 04:19 AM
Half Minotaur is the big one... +1LA for some nice benefits to begin with, but it also makes you large and then gives you the stat bumps for going up in size from the MM1 (Explicitly) which are extremely potent. A Half Minotaur Water Orc is +1LA for some absolutely obscene stats.

Half-Minotaur Half-Ogre Incarnate Construct Warforged Scout Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian.

50% Minotaur, 50% Ogre, 50% Warforged, 100% RAGE

Necroticplague
2011-11-04, 06:18 AM
What level? At level one, i'd say go with the ol' revived fossil baboon, but at level twenty, it wouldn't be noticed. Incorporeal is rough for a few levels, but again it stops being noticeable.

That said, half-black dragon war troll:smallamused:

Correction: Gheden half-Black Dragon War Troll. Everything is turned into nonlethal damage, your immune to nonlethal.

You sir made my day.

And mine to, I still remember that.

Keegan__D
2011-11-04, 06:46 AM
Half-Minotaur Half-Ogre Incarnate Construct Warforged Scout Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian.

50% Minotaur, 50% Ogre, 50% Warforged, 100% RAGE

The first two templates are inherited and can't be put on constructs. The latter is an acquired template, meaning the Warforged can't apply for the first two templates.
Though, if your DM is extremely open to interpretation (generally not a DM trait), you could say you were designed as a living construct with the other two templates built into you.

deuxhero
2011-11-04, 06:53 AM
TC is the DM though.

docnessuno
2011-11-04, 07:01 AM
Half minotaur (Dragon 313)
Lolth touched (Drow of the underdark iirc)
Feral (Savage species)

Paragon (ELH)
Pseudonatural (ELH)

Acanous
2011-11-04, 07:21 AM
+1 for Half-Minotaur Water Orc Dragonborn Mineral Warrior.

Morph Bark
2011-11-04, 10:16 AM
The first two templates are inherited and can't be put on constructs. The latter is an acquired template, meaning the Warforged can't apply for the first two templates.
Though, if your DM is extremely open to interpretation (generally not a DM trait), you could say you were designed as a living construct with the other two templates built into you.

Say you were the child of an Incarnate Construct. :smallwink:

Otherwise, Strongheart Halfling.

Or either of those templates on a Goliath. Wield Huge weapons and have +14 Strength.

sirpercival
2011-11-04, 10:36 AM
Easiest way to kill this character is without anybody even knowing. Make a random NPC fall in love with the character (hey, who would disagree with that?) and then make the BBEG Love's Pain him to death. No Mindrape necessary.

Karoht
2011-11-04, 11:18 AM
+1 for Half-Minotaur Water Orc Dragonborn Mineral Warrior.I strongly believe that you should play one of these in the next campaign we do. And take loads of racial feats. Heck, what class would you play with one of these... things.

What do you call someone of this particular template anyway? Just a Mutt or is there a clever term for it?
Minoaquadragorc?
Pronounced:
Minoa-quadra-gorc
Minoa-quadra-gorcian [class]

Ceaon
2011-11-04, 12:51 PM
Alright, so I have a player that's really good at role-play for a campaign. However he's RPing in a way that goes against the rest of the party, the NPCs, the Campaign, and sometimes their own alignment.

That's not being good at roleplaying. Great roleplaying is staying in character without disrupting other players or the campaign. Either a) ask him to roleplay his character in a more party- and campaign-friendly way (if he's a very good roleplayer, he can do this) or b) ask him to create another character. Don't try to solve this in-game, it's asking for trouble.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-11-04, 01:31 PM
Paragon (ELH)
Pseudonatural (ELH)

How in the name of Pelor do these templates not have level adjustment? Or are the CR entries suppose to transfer into LA?

Necroticplague
2011-11-04, 01:55 PM
How in the name of Pelor do these templates not have level adjustment? Or are the CR entries suppose to transfer into LA?

1: those templates lack an LA, thus meaning a PC can't play them. They have LA -, functionaly, because no player should ever have them.
2: psudonatural got an update in a 3.5 book (don't know about paragon). It's a mere +1 la, but its very gutted. I think it was in a ______ of the planes book.

Morph Bark
2011-11-04, 02:26 PM
1: those templates lack an LA, thus meaning a PC can't play them. They have LA -, functionaly, because no player should ever have them.
2: psudonatural got an update in a 3.5 book (don't know about paragon). It's a mere +1 la, but its very gutted. I think it was in a ______ of the planes book.

Complete Arcana, IIRC.

Pyromancer999
2011-11-05, 12:11 AM
Complete Arcana, IIRC.

Eh, not to be picky, but it's Complete Arcane. Which is my most favorite supplement ever.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-11-05, 12:39 AM
psudonatural got an update in a 3.5 book (don't know about paragon).

I believe a gutted version of Paragon, or more aptly another template with the name Paragon, appears in the DMGII. LA +2.

Acanous
2011-11-05, 12:43 AM
And as we all know, new print trumps old print, so the old Pseudonatural/paragon templates don't exist anymore :p
Also, I'd play one, but I strongly doubt our group would allow me to pull that heavilly from 3.5.

Morph Bark
2011-11-05, 04:56 AM
Eh, not to be picky, but it's Complete Arcane. Which is my most favorite supplement ever.

Blame the Knowledge skill for inconsistency.